Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Yall!!!! This has been a very rewarding experience. In a million years I never would have believed that I would be giving ADVICE on how to stop DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The world is upside down for sure!! But alas, here we are. Lolab said so aptly, this celebration was like the movie, It's a Wonderful Life!!!! It really has been. I appreciate all the kind words. And I fully intend to give them right back to you on your 1 year anniversaries!!! I've been asked more than a few times why I didn't move out of the Newbies Nest and go onto some of the other boards. I bet Lav can speak to this better than I can. Because I know the lonely scared feeling of doing a search on how to do a 180 degree turn in my life...and being sick with fear. I know those first feelings of desperation and what's the use. If I can help one person go for one more hour without AL...then it's a good day. But the truth is, I get a lot of reinforcement, too. It'd be the easiest thing in the world to pick up a drink, believe me. I check in here first thing in the morning, and last thing at night, and in between when work permits. There really is strength in numbers, and I get mine here.
    Windy suggested a cake. So I set out to find one. I found cupcakes with big pink flowers on top...they look like ReBirthday cake!! I've eaten 2 of them and now dealing with that....pass the insulin! I wish I knew how to post pictures...it'd show you my cake!! It really was a great day, and to see everyone's successes on top of that, well, that's the icing. Thank you everyone....Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish...I don't know if it's this site or not, but we all lose posts all the time here. Some write them out in word docs and then paste them over...I haven't figured that out yet, so don't ask me a question. But I've lost some humdingers, so don't feel bad. Just poof! Gone!
      Willow, Day 1 was hard wasn't it? I bet you never want to go thru that again, so don't! Day 2 is easier. Day 3 is better still. The worst is behind you...well done! I am very proud of you for starting sooner than later. In 2 weeks you'll say to yourself, if I can get thru that, I can get thru anything!! Hang on! Byrdie
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yay for Byrdie's magic 13! Austrailia, Allswell, Jane, Daisy! We are DOING it!
        Thanks Byrd, I couldn't wait to get to 13 and I think you hit the nail on the head with it really starting to ease up today. I dreamt again about being in an alcohol situation, but I again said no in my dream. Woke up feeling great.

Jane, I love Marco Island.
        Day 1 again 11/5/19
        Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
        Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
        Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
        11/27/19: messed up but back on track
        12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters

Nursie ? I agree with the acceptance being hard to swallow, but I also quit smoking before drinking and that made me more open to the idea of quitting the drink for good!

Snuff ? Good for NOT ordering that drink! I had a few nightmares around the 2 month mark.

Today ? Good going with 4 days! Once saw a painting of beautiful fresh green apples in a basket and underneath the word: Today! Very inspiring.

CG ? Keep strong PLEASE! :tsk:

I was a bit depro last night. I visited a friend of mine. We are very close and tell our emotions and secrets etc? I dodged an earlier invitation this year to a party that he held. That invitation was the strongest urge I had to drink since my quit. Yesterday I told half of the truth to avoid him pushing me in future to drink. I said I am over two months sober ? and he immediately said ?Let?s get some wine in you!? I told about the last test that I think I wrote when I was drunk which he found funny. Then I proceeded with that I feel much better and think I will not drink till I am done with my studies?I said everything except that I am an alcoholic. He looked disappointed. So he asked another friend there if they she wanted to go and buy wine with him and she declined.
          This is what I call my friend who doesn?t have a problem YET. That?s why we get/got along. He invites me to parties, because he knows I don?t bring a bottle, I bring a box!! He also said that Oh, so now you are not going to hang out with us anymore, because people irritate him when they are drunk and he?s sober? I?m not going to write him off, just not be available for binges!!
          I also told myself that I am done with being open and honest. I am known for my honesty, but after some soul searching I find that it is a decoy for my addiction.
          Maybe I should just go for a walk. Thinking to deep and still adjusting to how my life has to change. Over critical of people. Maybe. Time will tell?

Byrdie ? Thank you for a beautiful speech.:thumbysup: I?m gonna follow in your footsteps!
          12-20-2012 AF
          Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, and can I just say that all of a sudden I am noticing all of the shot I have to DO???? Like suddenly everything is so clear and it dawns on me that my house needs attention, I never decorated certain rooms, I need to organize this and that, I need to reconnect with people I have neglected, I need to pay my bills ahead of time rather than waiting till the last minute, I need to exercise,
            Holy shit, I need to get myself in order.
            Day 1 again 11/5/19

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cross post, Steady! I have friends like that too. I am not sure what to say to them. Some of them are my family lol.
              Day 1 again 11/5/19

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Willow!! Good for you on the decision to just QUIT!!! It really is the only way because there is always going to be some reason to drink...that's just the way it is in this world.

About the Topamax. I take it and it has worked really well for me regarding the cravings. But then, I didn't drink very much - but it has stopped me cold - I'm on day 20 with only a little bit of effort on my part. However, I am very spaced out on it - in fact if you could see my typing - before the spell check fixes it all up you'd laugh!!!! And I've had a bit of dizziness - but I don't work so it's been ok.

But don't be discouraged. Keep asking others to see what they experience. Go onto the meds thread and see what's been happening there before you decide. And there are other options, like antibuse (don't know if that's how you spell it) Wonderful that you are really going at this like a tiger!!!!!!
                Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yeah, Nursie!!

I am almost 110% organized again and it is wonderful!! Go organize and decor and ENJOY!!
                  12-20-2012 AF
                  Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

i am back to day 1 after a long time of thinking i could moderate.
                    i have been so frustrated with myself. have been beating myself up for my failure and acting the victim.
                    i've failed so many times, why bother startiing again.
                    today i am trying again. i'm reading posts and making it through this one day.
                    i'm not drinking today NO MATTER WHAT.
                    i hate being back at day 1. but i'm glad to be here.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie...love you and your speech. I guess you really are human and have really been where all of us have been. :H Your continued presence here is such a gift to all.

CG...I cannot believe the "Chinese Drinking story" you told. Are these people actually adults that participate in these drinking games? Wow. However, glad to hear you are hanging tough. The red wine would be more difficult for me to pass up than the drinking party. According to my world clock, Saturday night is over (or almost over) for you...and I am sending you strong sober vibes. Are you heading home on Sunday?

Everyone else, stay close to the nest, as it is the weekend. I have a cold...not really bad, but enough to deter my husband from tempting me with red wine. So I should make it to Monday which will be Day 10...magic double digits.

"Feelin' stronger every day!" (Who remembers that song?)
                      Take care all!
                      BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nursie...I don't know what it is about Day 13, but there is definately something there. Ima go back and see if I can find MY Day 13, won't that be a hoot? I'll be back in a couple hours, I'm rather slow at finding stuff....bah! B
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1053054 wrote: Day 13. Yesterday was EASY!!!! I'm so happy to report, that hubs was out of town and I had the perfect opportunity to have myself a high old time....but I didn't! The voices weren't as loud or as often, so day 13 was the day that I think I turned the corner. I feel good! I certainly haven't lost any weight...I am rewarding myself by saying, look, you can have anything in the world you want, except AL...now I need to reel myself in a bit and stop eating everything in sight. Finally finished off the last of the Christmas cookies I had in the freezer. For the first time in years, I feel like I'm getting control of my life, and it feels really good! ODAT! I could NOT have done it without this site.
                          I found it!! Here's me at Day 13....it's MAGIC! B
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hope everyone having good morning in the Nest,

lifechange, everyone hates day 1 but it is a good decision. Take it easy, drink lots of water and read and post here!

Steady, sounds like a walk is just what you need to think. Some friends seem to wane and wax in our lives, maybe letting it wane a bit will make things bit easier on you than having wine pusher. Still, you held strong, as well as the other person he tried to lure into a drinking binge. That has to make an impression... and I think honesty is always good, even when it seems wasted and they're not listening. You hear what you're saying.

Early on day 6 for me, sleeping bit better but still bit broken. Feeling raw, self aware... and its about the good stuff as well as the bad stuff (days 1-4 mainly all bad; why did I do that seemed to be my mantra). I like this person better than the supposedly "relaxed" and social person I thought I was drinking.

Looks like a few of us are nesting... looking around and seeing bills to be paid and organized better, cleaning and just getting things done. Good thing we're in the Nest.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie, thank you for going to find that post! It means so much to me. Day 13, today is a special day.
                              I'm not tired or beaten down anymore. My sex drive has returned. I bounced out of bed like a fire cracker and started cleaning everything in sight. I feel like I can start working out again and also stop eating everything in sight because I am no longer in crisis mode.

We are going to celebrate today by going out to eat and I'm going to have a raspberry iced tea. That used to be my FAVORITE drink before I ever tool a sip of AL. Well, that and Dr. Pepper, but I'm not big on soda these days.
                              Day 1 again 11/5/19

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh and Lifechange, day one always sucks. But remember how much it sucks, because you never have to feel this way again. You can have your life back! Look how much better us 13 dayers feel!! Oh hell yeah get pumped cuz this is the big time. We just gotta go hard or go home, because if we do what we always do, we get what we always got.

You can do it!
                                Day 1 again 11/5/19

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X