Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Keep fighting Nursie, it's tough but we can be tougher. I read a post someone wrote about one day deciding to quit because he didn't want to wake up in the fetal position wishing he was dead anymore. That's the shit alcohol does, not the glamorous football commercials with good times abound.
    2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

Another lurker just finishing day 2 AF and realizing I needed support to make it work. This seems like a friendly place!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters & nice to see so many checking in today

Wow, Ruin - good for you!
        Use that clear mind to do something really good for yourself

Hello & welcome Laughing Loud!
        Glad you found the nest, good place to settle in for a while. If you haven't already be sure to download the MWO book from the Health store here on the site. It has lots of good info about the program for you.

Had a busy day myself, cooking, baking, playing with grandkids - good stuff. That's why I am so grateful for my AF life ~ freedom to do what you want to do

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, so many nesters!

Nursie, I'm so sorry about your brother. You know, though, the best thing you can do for him is to be sober. If he sees it making a difference in your life, maybe it will inspire him. You had such a rough day - very proud of you for riding out the storm. You'll be glad tomorrow that you did.

SL - how interesting about your parents. That story REALLY makes me want to quit - I don't want to be battling this at age 70! Ugh. Good for you for setting a good example!!

Min Star - I'm confused. Are you actually wanting to hang out with people doing drugs? Sorry, but that sounds crazy to me........even if you can maintain your sobriety, do you really want to be around that? I'd like to hear more if you care to go into more detail about choosing that kind of crowd to hang with.........Just sayin..........

Ruin, I was thinking about you the other day.......so glad you're being successful and really happy to hear from you.

To all my fellow nesters, so proud of your successes. If you're new, just keep hanging out here. It really does help! DAY 69 FOR ME - YAY!!

Hugs and love. :lilheart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!

Welcome Laughing loud, this is a friendly place. We can all relate to something that may have brought you here, and what you will go through being AF. Congrats on Day 2 to you and to Irie!

Others back on early days, Available, Starfish, keep checking in and reading and posting.

Day 7 for me and I feel like I am eating too much and substituting that for AL. Still, hopefully food is just temporary outlet and it is keeping me distracted. Maybe I should put the cookie bag away though and do some stretches before bed. I really like that I'm not so lazy when I'm AF ... now I miss exercise!

Happy Sunday night to everyone and good night :-)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Nesters!

Just finished NY day lunch at home (my MIL's home). Everyone was drinking but me. I had coffee. Hubby's Auntie was very surprised that I wasn't drinking. Unfortunately my husband explained why and what I understood of his explanation was that he said "Once she starts, she doesn't stop". WTF???? Why not just come out and say she's an alcoholic if you are going to say that? I was really upset/angry about it. I told him in the future please tell people my health isn't ok and I can't drink...that is not even a lie but 100% truth (that requires another explanation but wont do it now) and it doesn't make me lose face. Anyway, I'm over that now. I can't be angry at him cause I never told him what to tell people. So that is now my 3rd meal where I turned down drinking. I think tonight the REAL drinking begins. Lav, it's not that its impolite to not drink al. It's impolite if I do drink al and don't drink my whole glass. I can keep saying my health isn't so good right now and I that's what I will do.

Ruin- Congratulations! So glad to see you here! You are doing amazing! Has been easy for you?

Minstar- I think that in the future you can tell people that you were detoxing and you have never felt better. It really agrees with you. You feel 20 years younger and so you will stick with it. It might even convince a couple of other people to try it.

Congrats on everyone who has hit 14 days! Isn't it amazing how much better you feel and look in just 14 days? Imagine how much better you will feel 14 days later!! Now that's something to look forward to.

Nursie- You are doing great! Some days are easier than others. But this is a fight that you don't want to give up on! It is definitely worth it in the end.

Irie and Available- Sorry you guys have been struggling as of late. Treat your slips as lessons and learn from them. They are stepping stones towards your ultimate goal.

UW- Glad you are feeling great today. Congrats on day 69! What an accomplishment! You are doing amazing!

Today- Congrats on day 7! You are doing great. Don't worry about what you are eating right now. IMHO you have to do anything you can to not drink. Even if it means eating everything in site. I think I have gained about 2 pounds in the last 3 days. haha. But hey, I'm still sober!

Jane- You are doing great! Don't give in. I am thinking of you every time someone offers me a drink. I wont let you down and I hope you don't let me down (no pressure haha)

To all other nesters, glad to hear that everyone is doing well. Hope everyone has a great day!
              "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
              Goal 1- 3 days al free
              Goal 2- 7 days al free
              Goal 3- 1 month al free
              Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning everyone.
                got through day 2 with just a few small thoughts about drinking.
                there are a few of us back at the beginning--
                the first part of my plan is to check in every morning and evening and as often as i can during the day to read posts and ask directly for support if nec.
                the 2nd part is my mantra-- i will not drink TODAY no matter what. that much i can do. or??
                i do not drink.
                see you all tonight.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters; hope you're all doing well today.
                  I have to say thank you to everyone who responded after my episode on Saturday. I have to say it meant a lot to hear back from you all and Lav, I am spending my reading time in the very insightful posts of A Work In Progress - thanks for that!
                  I did wake up on Sunday with the biggest sigh of relief that I had not given in. I know that by pushing through that extremely strong urge to drink that night, that I have added another chink to my armour. Every time we say 'no' to alcohol we become that little bit stronger, especially when the urge is strong or we are under pressure to drink.

As the alcohol leaves my system I feel myself becoming very reflective - about the past, where I am now and what the future holds. A bright and happy future does not include alcohol - this I know for sure. I keep picturing both scenarios and the one where I continue to drink? It is bleak and sad. It is a life that survives or gets through but is not enriched.

I went for a long walk last night. I was alone and so quietly happy that I had survived the night before. I was refocussed and determined. I felt like 'I've licked this' and I couldn't be beaten. Then, about 2 mile into my walk I passed an off-licence and through the window, about 4th shelf up, a bottle of McGuigans Merlot, screwtop........
                  After all my positive musings, there I was picturing myself at home, nice and comfy, with same bottle by my side......what the hell?!!!!!
                  I kept on walking, had no intention of going in or getting it but.......how quickly that happened.....woh!
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all,

Daisy - those sneak attacks are scary but you did great! There will always be temptation out there and I'm beginning to believe this journey is kind of like climbing a steep mountain. Getting up the first slope is very hard indeed and we may "slip" along the way, but I think there comes a time when we get to the top and we finally "see the light". That's when we decide that we no longer want alcohol to be a part of our lives and even though we may be faced with situations that are tempting, we make the decision to steer clear of that temptation because we know how great life is on the other side of that peak.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned an "inner peace" that comes when we've accumulated some AF days/weeks/months - I'm beginning to feel that inner peace and along with it comes so much gratitude. I'm grateful for all of you here who make it a point to be supportive even though you may not be having the best of days.

If you've slipped while climbing that mountain, just pick yourself up and start climbing again - I've been there in the past and I know it's no fun to start over but the best thing you can do is to START OVER! Keep trying and never give up - that's all we can do as humans.

Love you guys - have a great AF Monday everyone!
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

day 1 done and dusted, but sleep is being very evasive at the moment and it is hot in Aus too. Feeling quietly confident that i can put lots of af days up my sleeve. this time i am feeling calmer about not drinking and of course no al in the house is a big help. well now going to do day 2 and enjoy not waking with a hangover.

have a great day nesters
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Have a great day, nesters.

Part of my plan is to check in daily here to give/receive support. Not worried today about staying AF because I'm so worried about blowback from by rock bottom incident on Friday, which I would love to talk about here sometime.

One question for others...what if your spouse supports you moderating, but isn't happy with you quitting entirely?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters!
                          Day 15! I tried to talk to my bro last night but I didn't get a response.
                          So back to my own fight. My own sobriety is my first priority. I will not allow anyone to compromise that.
                          Rawr!
                          Have a super day nestlings.

Oh, and a WARNING! I read last night that January 23 is categorically the most depressing day of the year. (bills, winter, weight, resolutions undone, and holidays over, etc). So don't be discouraged if you feel in a slump. They are only feelings and they will pass. The good news is the happiest day of the year is June 16th and when we are still sober on that day, we can dance a jig!
                          Day 1 again 11/5/19
                          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Laughing loud - welcome to the nest. a partner's support is very helpful - but ultimately, you have to do this for yourself. If your goal is to stop drinking altogether, then that is what you have to aspire to. From your spouse's point of view - it's a very scary thing to think about your relationship changing that much. What will you do together? How will you celebrate happy times? What will you drink when you go to dinner? How will yo socialize? And will you become judgemental of his or her drinking? I think you should commit to yourself and tell your spouse that you need to do some totally alcohol free time or it's going to be meaningless...you won't ever change your habits. Stress the importance of it and ask him or her to support you. (my hubby didn't "get it" until I asked him to read the book "Kick the Drink Easily" which I said explained why I was re-thinking my views on alcohol...I only asked him to read it to understand where I was coming from and when he was done...he quit too. The book wasn't the key for me...it was just another instrument - but for him? It was.)

Give him/her some time to get used to the idea...while you work on YOUR goals :-)
                            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

There's a strange fog rising from th emelting ice/snow outside - very weird looking out there

Nursie, glad you got through the weekend OK,
                              Your brother is just going to have to take care of his own stuff ~ just like mine. The last time I spoke to my brother (several years ago) & asked him nicely to stop the drunken phonecalls in the middle of the afternoon he went of FB & called me 'The Ultimate Bitch'. Screw him

Laughing loud, maybe your spouse will change his attitude when he sees how happy & healthy you are AF. We don't always get the support we want from friends/family but you can succeed anyway.

OK, off to get my day going. Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Monday!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey Lav - we are supposed to get to 50 today! What a mess we'll have. doggy footprints here we go!
                                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X