Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

:new:
    I am nervous but realize that I need some accountablity and support.

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning TheAnd...we've all been in your shoes....please settle in and read and read....and when you feel like it, tell us a little about yourself. Have you been lurking or is this your first visit?
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

This is my first time. I have gotten used to numbing myself with alchol and I need to quit.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Not really sure where to start.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi TheAnd...you've landed in a great spot in the newbies nest...this is where you should be if you want to stop drinking. Take some time and read around the site. Lavande is our "nest mom" and will give you some warm beginner's advice...:l

For now, you can read the Toolbox thread to get some ideas for a plan...you'll need a detailed plan on how you're going to be successful... https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

:welcome:
            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Here is more information on a plan... https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...lan-41280.html

I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information - but it can be a bit confusing navigating around here when you're brand new...
              ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome TheAnd

:welcome:
                I am new here too. But we are on a great spot to receive unbelievable support from an amazing group of friends who WILL help us overcome or addiction to alcohol. Our nestoms will guide us along and all the other newbies (and not do newbies) will hold our hands every step of the way. I am on day 4 of kicking this beast. I have been reading posts on this site almost daily for the past three months and have read the mwo book as well as Jason Vales book "kick the drink easily ". I have a plan which involves trying to eat more regularly, recognize my triggers, exercise daily and pray more. I am so glad you found us. We can do this!

Star
                :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

It feels good to at least have a plan. I feel into a bad habit so I would not have to hurt and I ended up making things worse. I can do this. I quit smoking almost 3 months ago and I can do this too. It is nice to have a place to go.

Comment

Newbies Nest

No you are so right. I came to work today and just started looking for self help. When I go home I can read more information. Thank you for all of your help. Have you been able to quit?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sorry for all my typos everyone. I have to use my phone and my eyes are old ! TheAnd if you are asking me of I have been able to quit then the answer is I have not had a drink since last Thursday. My goal is not to drink today or tomorrow or ever again. We are advised here to set mini goals for ourselves. You may want to start with one or three days abstinence and then seven and then thirty days. And guess what? When we make it to thirty days, we get a special Hat!:l
                      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all!!!! And a big :welcome: to newbies Laughing loud, minStar, TheAnd, and others I may have missed. Lovely to see so many new "faces" here. You are not alone, we all know how you feel because we've all been there many many many times. Once you decide that this is going to be THE QUIT you'll give a big sigh of relief, and get on with the job.

That doesn't mean you may not have slips, but you'll notice something different this time. You won't sink back into the mud if you slip - you'll pick yourself up, come on here, and fess up and start again :h - because you'll have US to help you :h

This is day 22 for me. For newbies, I'm using Topamax and GABA for calming anxiety, and 5HTP to help me sleep. All are working wonderfully well. I'm pretty much on my own as I don't want to tell my husband (AGAIN!!) because I've said it so many times before. I want to wait until I have some more AF days under my belt....he as not clicked in to the fact that I'm not drinking yet....I just keep saying "no thanks, don't feel like a glass tonight" :H

Daisy, I know how it is when you actually see a bottle right in front of you!!! Hard to resist! But a hint for you (and for others) - I'm a big fan of 3 x 5 cards - I carry them around in pockets and purse. I write stuff on them and at the appropriate time I'll give one a quick glance as a reminder. You may want to carry one that says "when I drink merlot I become a drunken idiot - so I don't drink it anymore" Or on a positive note "I'm free from alcohol and it feels so good" Or "my eyes are clear, my breath is fresh, by skin glows, and I love it!"

Whatever works!!!!
                        Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                        (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, forgot - I think what Minstar meant was that she "wants" to hang out with drug users as in people who drink...which in my opinion is kind of hard NOT to do. I am not giving up friends just because they choose to drink - only if they push me to do the same. :-) (but I DID spend some SERIOUS time away from them in the beginning when the temptation to join in would have been too great!)

TheAnd - you will be absolutely amazed tonight when you read stories - of how much our stories have in common...Best of luck to you.

And after lots of perusing this site (and of my own mind....) I have been able to quit - since Sept 26, of last year. I'm 47 and I was a daily drinker (starting by 3 at the latest) and at my worst - an all day (and when I woke up during he night) drinker.... often finding some left in the glass when I woke up and starting off the day with it. My life - in just a few short months - has meaning and hope again.

-lola
                          ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello & welcome TheAnd!
                            Looks like lola & other have already given you some useful links to the Tool box, etc.
                            I would also advise when you are home tonight to go to the Heath store here on the site & download the MWO book. It has a lot of good info for you. I would also highly recommend the MWO Hypno CDs. They really helped me learn to relax without AL & change my thinking

The mud is going to be a disater lola but what can you do?
                            The fog is just bizarre & I can't believe so many people out there driving with no headlights on.......

Starfish & MWOLady, congrats to both you on your AF days
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you for the welcome. I am actually excited. I feel like I am taking charge of my life again. What does NF mean?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lola thanks for all the tips. I am looking forward to reading. I am 45 years old and our stories are about the same. I started drinking bad when my husband was killed on April fools 2009. Mixing meds and wine and hard liquor was not a good thing. Off the meds, quit smoking 3 months ago now the wine needs to go. I seem to be one of those people who once they start can't quit.

Comment

Working...
                                X