Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Morning all you lovely people out there. Day 23 for me and I'm feeling very strong. I simply don't want this streak to end!

My step daughter and I found a source for all natural make up and water-based nail polish and it's Canadian which is great. So we're off this weekend to check it out at the local health product stores. (I don't have ANYTHING to do with this company AT ALL - it's called Suncoat in case anyone is interested - and they make water-based nail polish for little girls too which is great!!) We're both trying to get rid of all the chemical junk in our homes - like laundry detergent, dryer sheets, household cleaners for floors and woodwork, stuff to clean bathrooms and such. I've ordered some soap nuts which is a natural product from India. It is the husk of a fruit which is dried - about the size of a large walnut. You put about 4 of them into a little bag and toss into the washer with the clothes and it does a great job of getting clothes clean and fresh. Each bag can be used 4-5 times before tossing the husks into the compost heap.

Lots of fun trying all these products. I have started making my own household cleaner using vinegar, pure liquid castile soap and water. Works just as well as Mr. Clean or any of those chemical cleaners - and most importantly it give me something to think about - and it's FUN!!!

Now that I'm NOT drinking I need these little things to keep me distracted. And it's working too.

Sorry for the long-winded post!! Have a great day everyone!
    Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
    (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

byrdlady, it's really good advice to reach out and do something for someone else.
      while drinking i made promises to do a lot of things for others-- and if i did those things i was exhausted.
      but mostly i said i would and didn't.
      i know exactly for whom i can bake a nice batch of cookies.

a wonderful afternoon and evening to all you wonderful people.
      i'm so thankful to have made it through day 4 sober!!!
      good night.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone - just checking in - swamped with other things today, but wanted to send my hugs and support! :lilheart:

Day 71 here!

Comment

Newbies Nest

*comes skidding in like Kramer*
          Whoa! Holy busy day!
          Welcome to the newer Newbies, I look forward to getting to know you!
          Day 16!
          Like Aus said, (I think) it's getting much more natural now. I feel like I can breathe a little and focus on not just being sober. I feel so productive and energetic.

I had no cravings today. I was too damn busy for cravings!
          Day 1 again 11/5/19
          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey - goodnight everyone!! looks like a relatively slow day around here...where's Lav?

I'll be backk in the morning - busy one for me too and still a few things to do.

lola -

keep up the good work!
            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie,

thanks for the warning - While I didn't fall after 30 the last time (4+ months then fell), I know what you mean about reaching a goal and thinking we may be able to "handle" it. I know I can't moderate - that's a fact - so I think I'll stick around for the long haul.

I made cookies tonight too! Heart shaped with little candy leaves (didn't have anything red).

Have a great night everyone!
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow! If Jan 23 is the most depressing day, it sounds like Jan 24 is the busiest! Day 4 AF done. Only one small urge when husband burst into tears from job stress, which sent my anxiety level off the charts. Geez, my posts are starting to sound like "Postcards from the Edge"

TheAnd...I'm so sorry to hear about your husband and family. It's so great your here getting support when you need it.

MWOlady - I used to make all my cleaners and detergents until I got too busy...those soap nut things sound fascinating.

Comment

Newbies Nest

KewL Beans!

Irie;1250207 wrote: Good morning. I cannot believe how busy it is here! What a great thing. Welcome to the "newbie" Newbies! I'm sure you are already feeling the strength and support that this board provides. And most importantly, hope. I know that watching others successfully break free from alcohol, people with stories just like mine, has given me hope for my own situation.

So, day 4 for me. I'll be back tonight. I hope you all have a great day.
                  :goodjob: Everyone has to start somewhere. I am AF day 2, without my beloved Jack Daniels. I am scared, sick, sweating, shivering, and totally bored. Yet, I am commited to this change in my life and it is really reassuring to find someone starting out as a "newbie" like me. :new: Yes, there is a great deal of support and encouragement in this site. God knows, I need all the help I can get. Good luck for Day 5!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I know what you mean, Ranger. It really, really helps to know others are right at the same place on this journey. Sounds like Day 2 has been a tough one for you. It says a lot about your determination and character that you are hanging in there. Let's rack up some days together!
                    ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                    -----------------------------------
                    Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks, Irie, it is very refreshing to know I am not alone. Day 2, rough, Day 3 will be better.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

I was up & out of the house before 7 am, watched my 3 yr old & 9 month old grandsons all day until 8:30 pm - I am exhausted & hoping to sleep lile a log tonight. Sure as hell couldn't have managed a day like this with a hangover

Everyone sounds great, I am happy to hear that
                        Ranger, hang in there because the forst 3 days are the toughest, no doubt! be sure you're drinking lots of water, eating something & just generally taking care of yourself. Go to the tool box for some ideas to relieve the boredom - important!

I hope everyone has a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Ranger and Welcome,

Day 3 will definitely be better. The first couple of days are when that horrible anxiety hits but stick it out because you won't believe how great you'll feel by day 5.
                          2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quick check in - today is the first day i have allowed myself to stop at a store after work to pick something up. In the days that I had "said" I would give up drinking, this is when I would find an excuse that we needed something, and stock up on wine. My car would stop automatically at one of a few places. Tonight, i needed an ingredient for supper and decided to test myself - it was harder than I expected and I did find a desire to buy a bottle, I even thought about being "good" and just buying a little bottle - but came out with just the food items - phew, that was a little too close, just shows how hooked we are.
                            And to totally support Byrds comments - we are not home free after 30 days, this little test was after 57 days.
                            Welcome to our new friends - the nest is a nice, warm supportive place!
                            Ranger - great start! Keep it up!:welcome:
                            TheAnd - i did post about no matter how bad things are, here we can always find someone who has a bigger struggle - I am sorry for all you and your family are working thru - let us know how we can help you and your kids..:l
                            “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

also just a quick check in to keep myself accountable.
                              day 5 here.

stay strong!! i do not drink!! and i will not drink alcohol NO MATTER WHAT!
                              there is no situation i can't handle--nothing so bad that i have to have a drink to deal with it.
                              right?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!

Like Daisy I'm going to take a break from the nest for a while. My academic year has started with a bang!!
                                I’ll check in and chirp some when I need it!
                                THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT ESPECIALLY LAV, BYRDIE & LOLAB.
                                Go well.
                                SH
                                12-20-2012 AF
                                Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X