• Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Congratulations !!
    Timpin -85
    SL -60
    Sufi-30
    :goodjob::goodjob:
    And great job Jane, Jolie, life change for hanging in!
    Thanks lolab, lav and Byrdie for keeping us straight! Had a good day at the retreat. Ordering pizza for supper. And staying inside tonight. Hope you all have a great night!
    :h
    :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations to all of you with milestones. You have achieved what you once thought was impossible. Now the world is your oyster. MWO is a wonderful place to come to gain wisdom and strength.

Happy Sober Saturday. I believe I just got through my first A/F weekend since last summer.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow Jane... Sounds like the kind of discussion I wouldn't want to get into... I'd be pissed off. I hate being told what to do. You know there are tons of people who have been successful-grrrr...and there are more ways to do it than just the one! I'd end up telling her that you need to back away for awhile if she cant support the way that you have decided is best for you... And that includes not making snide comments. And that would be the kindest reply I could manage!
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

And I'm not miserable and I don't think lav is or byrdie or chill girl or Mario or so many others who post here!
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Many ways to skin a cat! We have to do what is right for us. I don't think any one way is the "right" way. I'm sure she means well but, as LolaB says, probably the kind of dialogue I would wish to avoid. We have to trust our instincts as to what is best for us. We know when we're being good to ourselves and when we are not. We know what helps us and what doesn't, if we're truly honest with ourselves. And we have to protect ourselves through vulnerable times.
            You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

ps.... 3 weeks - rocking!
              You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane, whatever works for YOU is the right answer! Everyone has an opinion....and if AA works for her, why that's just wonderful. But I am a private person, (believe it or not) and I don't want the public display that AA involves. Maybe that is part of their philosophy and accountability, but that sort of thing isn't for me....my spiritual side is just as personal. My faith is unshakable, but I do not go around talking about publicly...that's just me. My addiction is equally personal....other than my husband who has lived it with me, I have never spoken to another person about it face to face. AND I don't want to, unless it's a nester I meet sometime. This place is workiing for me, and if it's working for you, maybe you can just agree to disagree with your friend. As long as the end result is the same...who cares how you accomplish it? Ya know? Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

now tipplerette, if you were me a few months back, there's no way an AF weekend could be celebrated on Saturday - I still had a looooong Sunday to get through! (actually it would have just been a continuation of Saturday....just keep drinking when I woke up during the night and continue in the AM...) But I'm guessing that you made it through Fri and Sat night without drinking and that is your temptation time! :H So :goodjob: to you! You're off to an awesome start. :l
                  ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ya, my weekend temptations are Friday and Saturday. Sunday is easier because hubby and I like to lay low and eat leftovers on Sunday. No fancy meal, no craving for booze. But you are smart in mentioning that as i have been known to have a glass of wine (or two) on a Sunday. Feeling strong.
                    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                    ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Newbies Nest

jane27;1252802 wrote: Thanks guys...I found myself mulling over bitchy retorts so ended the conversation. Not only did AA not work for me, it made me feel worse. That said, stats alone speak for it's success. I think that's valuable. Doesn't mean I like it, (or have to). Luv u guys xxx
                      AA makes me drink lol. I have an allergic reaction. It's a huge trigger for me for some reason. Maybe because I grew up in the rooms with my mom and then went with my ex, and all of their rehabs and stuff. I tried a few times, and I went directly to the liquor store afterwards.

Not that I wouldn't try again, I am just content with my current plan.

So Nest, guess what? I was at a childrens party today, and a good friend of mine was there. She struggles with Al too, and recently went two weeks, but she slipped. And now today at the party she smelled strongly of vodka. Probably from last night? Idk it was strong.
                      Day 1 again 11/5/19
                      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Eveing everyone - another AF day almost done and I am in a great mood.
                        Think it is in this thread where lots of folks are talking about cleaning - must have rubbed off as I cleaned out my closet today - great sense of accomplishment. I have actually got a box of stuff to take to a consignment store - I have clothes that I really don't like - thinks I bought under the influence (either tipsy or hungover) when trying to make myself feel good, or things that I thought were great bargains.
                        Well done Sufi and Timpin, and everyone else who us getting thru a weekend, ready to wake up bright and hungoverfree (or to those waking up already!) - have a great Sat evening/Sunday
                        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

jane 27 and lolab: the worst type of discussion in the world. goodby dear friend Alex! I know exactly the type of self-righteous saviours who know best. They abound in the first row of churches, and, sorry to say, in AA. I went there a few times, and you wouldnt believe what I was faced with. I was first expected to tell everybody about my public scandals, destruction of my family, ruination of my job ambitions and terrible consequences for my health. Well, there werent and arent any. I felt very guilty at that meeting for not being able to satisfy their wishes, , but I have always been that covert type of alcoholic, drinking onlly in the evenings and not bothering anybody, and in addition, I was (how i love Past Tense of the word to be in this case!) a functioning alcoholic who is reliable at her job, although lapsing in thousand little private way which you, my wonderful compassionate friends, know so well. Makeup on my face over the night, not remembering the evening calls and a pile of other tiny disgusting horrors. The AA people were trying to be nice, I should say, but they were so obviously disappointed with my inadequacy as a real drunk, as they define the word. As for Alex, it's a pity but as we evolve we are forced to leave behind thise friends, lovers, even spouses, who fail to evolve with us. It's a sad fact of life, but the sooner we realize it the better. Two more conversations with Alex in the above manner, and you will develop positive hatred for her, like I myself almost did!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, 11 pm already - didn't want to miss saying hello & goodnight

Congrats to all the newbies making such wonderful progress. I promise, you'll never be sorry

jane, it's a good thing Alex is your friend & not mine!
                            I would have told that snarky bitch to feck off :H :H
                            Seriously, she should have simply said Congrats & left it at that
                            You continue doing what you have been doing ~ it's working rather nicely for you, right?

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning fellow nesters!!
                              i am so happy to report that i've made it to day 9. it seems like it's been a lot longer.
                              last night we had our first snow and the girls were dieing to go out to the park to crunch around a bit. first i said naaww--it's too late (and i was scared)
                              then it suddenly occurred to me that if the snow had fallen 2 weeks ago i would have been too drunk to make it down the 4 flights of stairs--and of course i would have had absolutely no interest. so we got on our warm clothes, i didn't take any money!! and we enjoyed the beautiful night.
                              there isn't a lot left this morning--i feel so grateful that i was of sound mind.!!

Sufi, i definately thought about how terrible it would be to have to start at day 1 again. for me that's prob. the main thing at this point keeping me accountable. i'm really scared of that day 1. it was so hard for me to get through a day to be able to call it day 1.

Tipp, i totally hear you with the wine glasses!! i actually stopped using them for wine long ago 'cause i was breaking so many!! glad to have them in use again. last night at dinner we (the kids and i) drank sparkling apple juice from them. they were thrilled!!

wishing you all a quiet (or crazy) sober sunday. sunday, sober sunday!! u2 should do a new version!

Comment

Newbies Nest

dear Jane,
                                i just wrote a post that was erased--arghhh--i just wanted to say that i think if alex is your best friend, it should be possible for her to support you regardless of how you choose to become sober. like many others have said, there are so many different paths one can take. we all have the same goal--getting and staying sober. one day at a time. it sounds to me as if there's something below the surface concerning alex. the people i know in aa (not so many, but a few) are supportive of anyone trying to live a sober life. i don't know your history with her, but if you feel strong enough, maybe it's possible to talk to her again and just say flat out that you'd like to have her support even though you're choosing a diff way. and that it's hurtful that she doesn't respect your right to choose what's best for yourself friends are allowed to have different opinions. and still love and support each other.
                                i wish you the best in this situation. lots of strength.
                                thanks for your support last night!

Comment

Working...
                                X