Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi all. I'm new to the site. I need to stop drinking for good this time. My husband brought up the word divorce last night and I'm scared. We have a son who is 9. I can't imagine my life without them both. I have a problem with drinking and I don't want to lose my family because of it.
    On day 1 of being the real me and free of yucky alcohol.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Hello & welcome mommyjp! Glad you found the nest, it's a safe place to settle in for a while.
      This is a great time for you to take back contro of your life. If you haven't already, go to the Health store here on the site & download the MWO book. It has lots of info about the program components. Arm yourself with a good plan too. Look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for lots of great ideas. With a strong commitment & good plan, you can reach your goals!

bluejay, honesty is a huge part of success I have found. I BS'd myself for too many years as well

Lola, good to hear your dinner went well! See what we can do when we kick AL out of our lives??

lifechange, I suffered for too many years with crippling anxiety made worse by pouring tons of wine down my throat. It is pure joy & real mind peace now to relax with a cup of tea & no AL in sight!

Nursie, when we accept that we just cannot have one & stop fighting the rest comes pretty easy
      Wish I had realized that years before I did but I am grateful now!

MumofTwo, what else are you doing this weekend to prepare yourself for your AF journey?
      Have you written your plan?

I have lots of things on my todo list for today so I'll get going.
      Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters
        Thought to take a break, but I haven’t missed a post!!

I was invited to my step dad’s birthday party today…. I think I stayed 15 mins…
        Had a fight over the phone with my mom an hour before I went, so there was a bad start. But what freaked me out was to feel deprived when my mom offered me water or a cool drink, since she knows…And then to see my sisters getting them some wine after my mom told me in January that none of us should ever drink again!!!Before my step dad and step brother came into the mix I got the hell out of there!!
        I am surprised that I felt deprived and want to stay close to the nest. At almost 90 days I don’t even consider AL anymore, but this situation just got to me!! I don’t know if I will ever be able to handle my family again. Looks like AL played a huge role in being able to tolerate them!!!
        Very proud that I left!
        12-20-2012 AF
        Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I didn't check this thread yesterday because I was really busy, and in fact I worked until about 7:30 last night. It was a stressful day, and it was a FRIDAY. Perfect time to have a drink and unwind.

My husband was already drinking scotch by the time I got done working, and it was tempting. But I reminded myself that I don't want to feel that way any more. I reminded myself that I have a HUGE project that I will fail if I drink. I reminded myself that I don't want to feel like cr*p in the morning.

So...I went to bed early again, and I woke up at 6:30 this morning, feeling tired, but not feeling like cr*p. So I'm happy.

Thanks, allswell and pine cone for your words of encouragement. Welcome to Blue Jay. Congratulations to my new beginning for 14 days. I know I'm missing some people, and I apologize. As I get used to the new people, I'll be able to pay better attention.

Lifechange: I know I'm new here, but I have also quit drinking in the past, only to go back to it again. I guess I should be embarrassed or ashamed, but I'm not. I'm a work in progress, and so are you. I admire you that you came back. You know what that means to me? If I drink, I have a place to come back to where I can start over. You showed me that it's okay to come back. So thank you for that.
          Goal 1: One day: DONE
          Goal 2: One week: DONE
          Goal 3: One month
          Goal 4: We'll see
          :new:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Steady...good to see you popping in. I hope you know that you can always keep close to the nest. One never knows when AL sees an opportunity to "get us" back! 90 Days!!! That is awesome! Hope your studies are going well.

mommyjp: Welcome to the nest, you have come to the right place. Have some butt velcro and stick to the nest.

Pronto...My hubby drank scotch last night also...but at least I was already asleep. I found the empty glass in the morning, and of course had to sniff it (why??? I don't know). My last slip up was due to scotch...don't want to go there again.

Lola, Nice job with your dinner last night. I sure know what you mean about hosting dinner parties drunk. I ALWAYS forgot a thing or 2. And it was sad when I found something in the oven the next morning that was supposed to be served. And then there was the time I spilled the kids' orange soda all over my pants and sat there acting like nothing happened. Ugh...I feel sick just thinking about it.

I've been thinking about anxiety the past couple of days, and how much less of it I have now that I am not drinking (day 22 here). I do take zoloft and from what i understand, antidepressants can't do their job so well when one is drinking. I believe that as I used to be on lexapro and drank and drank...wondering why the darn stuff wasn't working and my anxiety was worse than ever. The lexapro only make me get drunker quicker and on less AL.

Anxiety has been with me most of my life. I thought I could "cure" it with drinking. I now know how it has the opposite effect. I see a lot of folks here struggling with anxiety and depression. Just wanted to let you know what I have found out since I have tried to be sober.

Lav, Jane, Lifechange, Mum, Mommy, Nursie and all...hope you all have a great Sober Saturday!
            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

SH, oh, I can so relate to your post. Just know that I truly get it. I don't have any advice other than maybe it can become less stressful should you have to continue interacting. So hard.........hope you can avoid any situation that is stressful, at least for a good amount of time. We never know what might trip us up! :lilheart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks! I went out this morning and bought some Detox tea. Hoping that helps.
                On day 1 of being the real me and free of yucky alcohol.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Steadyhands, good to see you again! You successfully navigated another humdinger of a situation (you have had some good ones!). I admire the way that you are physically removing yourself from dangerous situations before they get even worse. You owe it to yourself to take all the time you need to be comfortable with a situation, and you are definately walking the walk by putting your quit first.
                  "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                  AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lifechange, I totally agree, all the posts the last couple days were really hitting home. The quote Jane posted about Bill W still wanting a drink...I mean DAM, does AL NEVER give up? I guess not. Trying to catch up...so proud of everyone!! Went to see my 89 year old Dad and drove us all to dinner!!! You just can't imagine how unheard of that would have been a little over a year ago. I'd have come up with some excuse not to drive....So good to be free of that.... but reminded that I must always be vigilant....thanks all, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters, I sure need to be here today! AL is calling to me and telling me all the things I need to hear... I'm bored, I have no plans today or later tonight... I was good not drinking last night and I don't have work till Monday; time to recover and of course I wouldn't drink tomorrow. (Deep breath) It tells me I've been eating badly anyway, whats wrong with a bit of vodka? Okay, so I will make myself accountable and say I have rarely had just a bit of vodka.. I will make drinks more and more frequently and what's up with drinking by myself in the afternoon anyway. Think I will find something to do, going stir crazy here!

Any advice? I'd rather not see anyone today, had busy week and was social last night... feel like I need to recharge my batteries but stay safely AF. :thanks:

Hope everyone out there enjoying their day and making the most of it!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today...have you got a little kid in the neighborhood? I baked a cake in the shape of a choo choo train. I was having a hell of a day, and needed to do something to take my mind off myself. Made this train and decorated it and took it over. He was simply overwhelmed. At four years old, he just didn't know what to think. In amazement, his little fingers touched all the jellybeans and M&M's I had put on it. He looked over at his mom (who was amazed, too) and asked, 'Mom, is it my BIRTHDAY?' That was worth it. Just a thought, watch out for the pity party, and put yourself in service to someone else...just to get over the hump! Don't dwell on you!!! You can do it!! Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great advice Byrd! I do have someone to bake for and that was something I used to love to do! I really needed a reminder to get out of my head and think about someone else. So many people have been there for me in the past year, time I pay it back (and forward). Plus house is cleaned, laundry going and I've got book to enjoy some treats with. I'm re-reading one I know i've read but can't remember a thing! Another reminder why I will not drink today, I really want to know what happens this time! (awesome supernatural romance/action series)

Thanks and I was glad to read your post about taking your dad and drove for dinner. It does feel good to do onto others :-) and be responsible, no shirking with us (anymore)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone ! Sorry I haven't posted in a couple days, but I have been reading posts each day. So exciting to have so many new friends joining our awesome nest. The more the merrier, I think
                            Sounds like everyone is doing so well in keeping commitments. We have a fantastic group and I am so happy to be a part of it. Day 16 for this lil bird :H
                            Hope you all have a great safe night :h and thanls for all your support !
                            :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

SH, awesome on your 90 AF days! Great job getting out of that party - who the hell needs that. huh??

Wondeful to see everyone working their way to freedom You'll never be sorry!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks

I think it may be home for me here for awhile. Read pdf. buying the supplements tomorrow.
                                Root canal on Tuesday past working with infection and self med. Not a cool thing to do as i just found out. Looks like it is my time. I am so ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X