Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

so i fell out the nest n i didn't ahve 2 days, i had... maybe 34 hours? possibly. i am... terrified fo how i felt today, i ahve never suffered like that before and frankly i don't knwo hwo willing i am to repeat that for the rest of the week...
    I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish!! Isn't it just amazing to reach that point!!! It feels just like you have a new lease on the rest of your life, doens't it?!! You are reclaiming what AL took away! I'm so proud of you! I can just hear the glee in your voice!! I want you to remember your post number for this one...write it down somewhere, ok? Because the next 2 weeks are going to be an emotional roller coaster!!! You can do it!! After the 4 week marker...the waters will smooth right on out! Well done to you!!! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi guys looking for aome info, on MOW I have read up on L GLutamine and have started taking it I am taking one teaspoon twice a day for 3 days now, my prob is that although I am not creving AL I am still binging on sweets carbs and cakes by the bucketful, I am AF for 30 days now and expected these cravings to have reduced.
        Does anyone have any advice before I have to roll myself out the door????

Thanks everyone rant over xx
        Stella

Back to the beginning day 02 Jan 2013

Grateful for MWO :thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Stella - I am 30+ days myself now too and the craving for chocolate hasn't decreased any. I took L-Glutamine last year and I think it may have helped with cravings - can't remember if I was also craving chocolate/sweets at that time. I probably stopped taking it because the dosage was maybe three times a day? I hate taking pills anyway so that's probably why I stopped. Someone else here may be able to help.

I have a question for everyone else as well. I bought some 5-HTP today. For the past 2 nights, I've taken a Paxil that was an old Rx of my hubby's (he didn't like the way it made him feel so didn't use hardly any of them). Having feelings of depression and sadness at times - got really bad on Saturday as I was heading home from shopping. Had to have a serious argument with myself not to stop at the liquor store and buy a bottle of wine - it scared the crap out of me how close I was to giving in.

I started researching Paxil and found that there are some serious side affects for some and also withdraw if you stop suddenly. I don't really want to deal with all that so I thought I would try the 5-HTP. Supposed to help with sleep as well.

Does anyone take it or have any insight on it? Also - I bought the 200 mg. time release version but not sure if I should take it right before bed or with a meal (like the bottle says). Day or night? Not sure. Sorry for rambling but I figure someone here most likely has tried it before and will have an opinion.

Thanks for reading this boringly long post guys.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jolie -
            Just to be clear you're asking about the 5-HTP right? If so, here's my experience. I used to take 50mgs of it and found it helpful in elevating my mood (over time, it's not instant obviously). More recently, I bought 100mg capsules, took it two times and both times got extremely nauseated. 200mg sounds really strong to me. My capsules are powdered so there's no way for me to split them (and they were NOT cheap). I had to stop taking them, but I think I'd be ok if I went back to the 50mgs. Have you taken it before? If not, you may want to take a lesser dosage. Just my 1.5 cents.
            K9
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jolie, I'm not sure about this, but I think Supercrew used to take it. You could PM him - he's always happy to help people. Apologies if I'm not remembering that correctly.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yikes K9 - already took the pill then came back here. I'll let you know tomorrow how I make out

Thanks UW - I'll take your advice and pm him.

Lav - can you shed any light? I thought I remembered you saying you take it or maybe used to take it?

Hope everyone's doing well - feeling a lot better about how I'm handling stress at work since I've stopped drinking. So many benefits to being AF - just have to keep remembering all of them when the ugly voices rear up!

Peace to all!
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all - good evening!
                  Jane - noticed your post a while ago about feeling bad, and your question. In the holistic med section, there are a lot of folks whose knowledge amazes me and tehy chat about things like this, maybe you could pose your question there?
                  Jolie - Lav swears my Amoryn as a mood booster - and that comapny had a sleep aid too - I have not tried them yet, but found them on Amazon, and have considered getting a couple times, they may be a good one for you?
                  Star - nice post! We all need to hear stories like that.
                  K9 - sorry for the car problems, always seems to be something doesn't it!
                  IC - I remember that you had a similar struggle last time - it seemed so painfully tough for you, it is hard for all of us, but your struggle seemed desperate - do you need to get some professional help? I recall that you are quite young, and it ould be so great if you could kick this now.
                  Stella - just returned from fridge with chocolate in my hand and a good look around for what else I fancied - my cravings there seem to be increasing! I took L Glut earlier but didn't really feel any difference, maybe I have created another habit???
                  Well time to go cook supper - wet soggy evening, but we need it so badly that i shouldn't complain - warm soup tonight! Will check back later....
                  “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

IC- do me a favor and click on your user name and read all of your posts.
                    If we do what we always did we get what we always got. I was a student too and I knew even then that I didn't drink like the other kids. I also know that we can't shake the realization into your head that you probably can't moderate or you wouldn't be here. What you woke up feeling this morning...you never have to feel that again. I wish I would have stopped when I was your age. Before I lost my self respect, my dignity, my credit, my youth, crashed cars, got arrested, and became a person I couldn't look at in the mirror without crying.
                    Someday you will say enough. And it will stick.

Star- I remember the day I didn't think about drinking. I got home and I realized I didn't even think about stopping at the liquor store when previously I had to struggle wig thoughts of stopping at each of the 5 on my way home. Then I used to call someone on the way home. Then it just POOF.

K9 sucks about the car but like Lav said definitely take somewhere else for second opinion. And YAY on 40! That's my bitch!!

Jane- you and I have similar tastes in health and wellness I think. I like how you think.

Jolie, I have hella cravings too. I don't notice a difference if I take the L-glut or not I still find myself in the fridge and the cabinets constantly!
                    Day 1 again 11/5/19
                    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's almost 11 pm & I'm just getting here to say good night to all!

Jolie, I've never taken 5-HTP on it's own. The combination product I use called Amoryn does have 5-HTP in it (25 mg. per capsule) along with Hyperforin (their version of St John's Wort) & a bunch of vitamins. I take 1 in the AM & 1 with dinner so I am getting a total of 50 mg of 5-HTP over the course of the day. I wholeheartedly suggest anyone feeling the need for a little boost to give Amoryn a try. It works great, doesn't cause any side effects or interfere with other medications. PM me (anyone) if you want more info. And, NO I don't work for the company :H

Try not to sweat over the sweets cravings ~ they do go away

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest (butt velcro is free)

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I had sugar cravings too and L-glut didn't do much for me either. I took a chromium supplement and it seemed to help. I normally don't sweeten anything but started putting agave in my herbal tea when a craving hit. Annoying for sure but they did go away after a couple of weeks.
                        2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Wednesday morning Nesters!

Awaiting a small amount of snow today (I hope). What I really want is Spring!!!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Wednesday!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning, the rain is going to hit us today... what a start to the day.

Feels like my mood, didn't sleep great, kept waking up early worrying about work, visit to counselling this morning, everyone at work knowing I'm still in counselling (they think anxiety disorder which partly true). I know there is sleep problems in beginning AF but 3 weeks in?? Of course it could be the other problems all surfacing doing that... I forget sometimes in my focus to stay AF that lots of other things are going on that I need to deal with.

I've got sugar cravings hard and last time I was AF I bought the L-glut and 5-HTP but aren't taking them now. Do they help? And quickly? I am getting tired of eating so much and have been craving sweets a lot lately. Is my body looking for carbs? I'm worried I'll gain back all the weight I lost last year.

Anyway, wanted to come on here and do some reading before work. Just needed some reinforcement from the Nest that I can get through today and make it home without a bottle. And I will be here later to tell you I did make it (really hope so, thats why I'm posting)

Have great day everyone, congrats on all your AF days

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks from a Lurker

100 days ago I woke up after yet another nasty alcohol fueled binge.That morning I found MWO and read the " you know you are an alcoholic when ..."
                              That day I did not drink.
                              Every day since I've read MWO and used your experiences to guide my actions.
                              No meds, no AA, just you lot.
                              Since then I havnt touched a drop
                              The purpose of registering and posting is to thank you all,
                              Any lurkers or doubters out there,if it happened to me it can happen to you all,
                              I went from alcohol being my life to it being my past.
                              I love my life,I hope any out there suffering can take some hope from this
                              Best wishes to you all
                              Regards
                              Bunk

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bunk
                                What an inspiring message. Thank you for posting it. New to posting here.

Comment

Working...
                                X