Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters,

Fought temptation again and came out a winner ? My girlfriends had wine with dinner last night and I could smell the ALCOHOL, not the wine bouquet, THE actual alcohol in the wine . Needless to say ?it sent me drooling again but I stuck to my Perrier guns and chugged another liter of it.

UnWasted ? great post , I read it last night before turning off the lights

Steady ? I have 3 years on you and your actions and choices impress me every day. You take it like a man!

Timpin ? count me in ? I am always interested in learning from the tried and tested.

Mrsg, K9, Jolie, CG, starfish, Nursie, Clear eyes, wicked mom, life change, AVA and needbulls ? I wish you all a great day
    :h:h
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya Nesters!

Thanks for all welcoming me back with open arms. I hate it so much to have to write that I failed, so I WILL change that and make sure that I don’t have to write that anymore. Lav, I think there are two reasons for my failed attempt 1) Yes, I was alone. When hubby isn’t here, it’s only me and the dog, so al tells me “No one will find out”. No one will judge me cause no one will know. It’s really stupid because all of you will know. Usually he is always here but since Decemberish he has spent most of his time in his home studying driving. So the next time he leaves, I will have a plan in place. 2) I am starting to realize an important pattern with my hormones and when I drink again. It’s always about 2 weeks before my period (sorry men). So I am going to make a plan to maybe treat myself with lots of chocolate around that time.

Ava welcome to the nest. This place is great. Those sick feelings only last a day. I feel like my old self again today apart from the lack of sleep. Yesterday was hell though.

UW- Congrats on 90 days!!!! That is so great! Good days and bad days are apart of everyone’s life. So we need to find out what the “normal” people do on their bad days. Sounds like last night was a bad one for you. Sorry about that, but I hope that you are feeling better today.

MRSG- 4 months is awesome. But do be careful right now and stick close to the nest. I’m thinking of you and hope things get better.

K9- fingers crossed you pass the test!

SH- Thanks! Sorry about the family situation. So proud of you for not getting and drinking that wine

Tim- Thanks. And you’re so smart. Last year I went 4 months and then drank. I’ve been struggling since. I’d love the advice!

Needbulls- Hi! Welcome.

Nursie- Congrats on 40 days!

Eek, I’m out of time. So hi to Clear Eyes, Wicked, Nelz, Shue and any one else I missed!

Have a great day nesters!
      "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
      Goal 1- 3 days al free
      Goal 2- 7 days al free
      Goal 3- 1 month al free
      Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Canadian girl (in China of all places) ?

I can totally relate to drinking alone ? Who?s to know ???? I can ace parties and birthdays AF but when faced with the demon on my own I just choke. This is why the struggle for me is puzzling. I do not need to change jobs, friends, environment, social outings, partners etc . It is simple : I ONLY need to change MYSELF.

Without fail ? every single time I got sh1t faced was in the comfort of my own home, preferably with hubby away on business or out with the boys, none the wiser to the fact that wifey did not fall asleep on the coach waiting for him but passed out after too much wine .

Good for you that you came back after days (not weeks).
        workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Newbies Nest

Shue,

We could be twins - sneak, hide, "tired" so always falling asleep on the couch. How my husband never caught on I'll never know. His dad was an alcoholic who was sober the last 10 years of his life so I know he knew what it was all about.

Anywho - I guess I just find it so amazing that so many people with different backgrounds and situations concerning alcohol can come to this one place and get so much support. Gives me so much hope to know I'm not along in this struggle and there are so many more out there just like me!

Needbulls, :welcome: Our children are such a great reason for us to ditch the AL and become sober and present for them.

Nursie - :goodjob: on 30 days! Well done!

Ginger - sounds like you had a wonderful night with your grandson - proud of you for not stopping on the way home. You'll be thanking yourself this morning when you wake with no guilt.

Hey clear eyes! we are around the same number of days - hope you are feeling as positive and great as I do!

Life change and Wicked Mom - TGIF to you! Hope you guys have a great day!

Going into work today (should be an off day for me) but that's okay.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Needbulls Welcome! :welcome:

You can access the Meds thread from the front page. And, yes, there are doctors that have worked with people here in conjunction with Balcofen I believe. There's also a Topomax thread there. That area of the site is a great place for help from people who are having success with a variety of meds. Here is a link:

Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds - My Way Out Forums

I really hope you get some things worked out not only for you but for your son!

Sending you peace and strength.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Happy Friday, hope everyone had a good solid plan for the weekend

Hello & welcome to Needbulls!
              Be sure to read the MWO book as you get started, it's full of good info.
              I did not use any RX meds, some do. You are not going to be able to immediately jump into moderate drinking, it just won't work. After a period of abstinence/detox then possibly. You will find that most of us have found that moderate drinking just doesn't work, but that's got to be your decision.

Wishing everyone a great AF Friday!
              I see some sunshine out there for a change so I'm heading out

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Ginger….about the exhaustion – that bad news is that it pretty much a given that when you quit, you don’t feel better immediately. The first few days really are ridiculously hard. My advice for energy is only to keep plugging through those first days – things will be a little bit “up and down” for a couple of weeks, - spend the time doing what you need to take care of YOU…getting sleep when you can…and not obsessing when you can’t. It’ll come.

Now I’ve just read ahead and can’t take the smile off my face. The change in one day is remarkable. Stay strong – and come here with SOS calls if needed – you will gain strength and confidence so fast!!!!

Nursie congratulations on your 40 days! And clear eyes on 45!

Lav, your post was extremely helpful to me. “I expect myself to remain clear headed & sober. Everyone else can behave like idiots if that's what they choose.” And “I keep my focus on what I can change & that's myself & distance myself (as much as possible) from the rest.” Sometimes someone can post something that so clearly echoes what is going on in your life…Unwasted, I love that post by Mohun. Thanks for reposting. Not having yet reached the 6 month point, I do hope some more steadiness comes to my agitation levels. 

Ava, Welcome! How did you do yesterday?

Oh steady, we are so much alike in that regard…when someone flips my switch – my thought is STILL –almost a FRANTIC – “I need a drink – WHERE is some alcohol???” I’m trying to do some writing as well. I’ll never send mine – it’s more like a journal – but it does help to release some of the anger…but I still need to work on that immediate reaction. I wonder what a good plan would be for that? When someone or something makes you reach your boiling point – ummmm – count to 10? Nope, that won’t work for me. Deep breathing? I don’t think so. Maybe? Guzzle a selzer? Carry some of that Rescue Relief gum? Don’t think that will do it. This is a good thing to think about.

Wicked mom, unwasted, lifechange, – hello – I think lots of us share that extreme reaction stuff. I can get sooo overstimulated now….and annoyed very easily. You’re so right about noise being really bothersome. I’m keeping my fingers crossed…but in the mean time, I’m trying to think of a coping strategy. Sounds like you are doing the same lifechange.

Mrsg, my best friend and I were pregnant the first time together. I lost the baby in the 5th month…and our friendship suffered as I was so miserable. It was quite awhile before I saw her little girl and I felt awful about it but also struggled to be happy for her. If you do “fall apart” when you see the new baby, don’t be too hard on yourself. I am so proud of you for not numbing all of this with alcohol…I’m experiencing lots of strange (to me) emotions about my mom – because in the past, I’ve ALWAYS dealt with things by turning to alcohol. I know in my heart that by experiencing this wholly, I will be able to heal.

Shue, excellent job – I do know in the very early days (and sometimes now) I need to steer clear of those types of get togethers. I was a hermit at first!  I just didn’t have the confidence that I would not give in. But my worst problem would have been avoiding having something by myself before I even went. ;-(

Lifechange, I consider myself to be in pretty darn good shape, but a handstand??? With or without a wall that ain’t happenin! LOL! Kidding with ya…I like the suggestion of stretching the big muscles.

Canadian gal, I’m glad you came back…just think of the many people who stay away for long periods of time – and convince themselves that they are doing fine. I hope you’re feeling a little better…I wonder – if it was similar to those of us who made the 30 day milestone ….ya know? Like, kind of a more relaxed attitude after you made it through the dreaded vacation? I don’t know…might be part of it. Anyway, I am thinking of you in these tough first days.

It’s Friday. Is it? Things have been kind of topsy turvy for me – Everybody stick close by for the weekend. Let some of Nursie’s sober dust settle on all of us and calm our frayed nerves – LOL!
                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

geeeeeez, and I was going to keep it short today....:H
                  ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Everyone!

I am so out of it today. I have cut down what I drink by three-quarters. I can't even really focus on the computer screen, so forgive any spelling mistakes. I'm beginning to think that I should just go cold turkey and ride it out. I don't want to feel like this any longer than I have to.

I'm not giving up this time. I will make it. Luckily the weekend is here and everyone will be home to help me. This site has really helped me stay strong. I never realized other people hid bottles around the house , drank all alone, especially when my husband was gone. He has NO idea how much I was drinking. I was even sneaking empties our to store dumpsters to hide it. I relate to you all. Thank You!

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's just my luck that today I was feeling really great. I mean really great especially after the horrible day I had yesterday. And tonight my husband's friend (who is also an alcoholic) invited himself over. And hubby's friend wanted to order 20 beer from the downstairs store. I'm not drinking it at all cause I don't want to feel like how I did yesterday ever again. But in my mind after seeing it, smelling it, it seemed like yesterday was so far and distant that hey maybe I could have just 1 or 2. So anyway, I quickly came into the bedroom with my book and a bar of chocolate. No worries, I am not going to drink. It's just so strange that he always shows up when I'm quitting....

AF- February 16, 2012
                      Goal 1- 3 days al free
                      Goal 2- 7 days al free
                      Goal 3- 1 month al free
                      Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Ava,

I'm sorry you are feeling out of it. In my opinion only, just go cold turkey. For 1 day you feel like absolute shit....the worst hang over you have ever had. But then the next day after eating breakfast, you start to feel ok again. Treat that 1 day the same you would if you had a cold. Stay in bed, read, watch tv, have someone else cook for you, and drink plenty of fluids...non al ones, :H. But you do whatever you feel is right for you. I hope you feel better :l

AF- February 16, 2012
                        Goal 1- 3 days al free
                        Goal 2- 7 days al free
                        Goal 3- 1 month al free
                        Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks CG,

I think that's where I will be tomorrow. Friday's are hard, my sisters want to go out to dinner tonight. I know I can't and signed up to chaperone the kids school dance. They're not happy, but I think it will help me.

Have a great day! I am going cold turkey.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Ava,

I can completely relate to what you say. I have cut back by over half and am feeling so crappy today! Very thick headed, shaky and I sweat so much last night! I don't feel I can go cold turkey so I'm thinking this may draw out for awhile. I need to be able to function for work (at home) and with kids.

Does anyone have any advice? It seems kind of like childbirth, that's once it's over, you don't remember it so well, but while you are in it, it is really nasty!

CW

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning nesters

Wow, I can't believe how busy this nest is! I got back from my out of town conference last night, safe and sober, but feel I have missed keeping up with you all like I would have liked.
                              Ava and C.W. :welcome: I am sorry, I don't feel confident in answering your "cold turkey" questions. It has always been the way I have done it, in my attempts to stop, but I think that depends on a lot of factors, such as your health and how much you were drinking. One thing I can say for sure is that you will not find any better emotional support anywhere than can be found in this nest and we are all here for you!
                              Nursie- Congrats on your 40 days! And also for the good deed you did for your friend. We all need friends like you
                              Clear Eyes - Congrats on your 45 days also. I can't wait to say I have accomplished that!
                              C.G. - welcome back! we all missed you and are so happy that you flew back in. you are a great nestmate!
                              Wicked - 151 days WOW! How WICKED is that! Also, I can't believe you and L.C. and Lolab are all posting about this noise sensivity problem. I sometimes wish I were deaf just because I can't handle all the stimulation around me. I guess this too shall pass and it is nice to know that it isn't just me who is experiencing it. L.C. I find the mini breaks help me too. That's about all I know to do.
                              Shoe - sounds like you are going through the same temptations I have been having over the past week (DH drinking in front of us and going to dinner with friends doing the same)....Yay for us, we stuck to our guns and beat'em!
                              Ginger- sounds like you are already realizing the benefits of the MWO sober way of life:goodjob:
                              Need- :welcome: We are here for you!
                              MrsG- hello and congrats to you for 4 mos! Awesome!
                              Hello to all my friends: Byrdie, Lav, Jolie, Steady, UW, K9, Jane and anyone I missed and thanks for your support (day 29 for me) :h:h:
                              :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

:new: been lurking in Army Thread for a while 'cos lot of Irish on there. Thought I 'd get on here where ye are all still trying

Comment

Working...
                                X