Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

thank you and ettiquette quetion

Unwasted - thank you for posting the update by Mohun (I believe it was by Mohun ) I come here from time to time to read everyone's progress and challenges and do a general check in. Frankly I get about 3 minutes into my attempted daily meditation and find I want to do something a little more um active. Impatient me - one of my many faults. The raw honesty here is so beautiful. Both sharing the experience and getting warm advice is such an intregral part of the healing for me and imagine that is the case for others here. Any advice on balacing how to share my own challenges/joys in the contexts of existing threads/posts. If away from this for a few days I many times don't have the time to sift through the posts. But I don't want to offer a brand new post if my comment would be more appropriate added to a current thread. Maybe I am overthinking but I would appreciate advice - I think this distraction is keeping me from posting more frequently. Thank you

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Mandy, welcome!
      Please feel free to hop in & change the topic anytime you like - we all do that

I'm running late so i'll be back.
      Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Monday!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Calling all nesters - where is everyone??

Welcome Mandy and like Lav said - just jump right in!

Shue - amazing what a difference a week makes huh? Glad you are feeling positive.

Lola - thanks for the link the thread - very interesting reading I must say.

Today - onward and upward - you sound strong!

Nursie - 14 hours? Haven't slept that long since I was a baby (most likely) and that's been a very long time I did find myself laying down for a little nap yesterday afternoon (OMG - my grandmother used to do this every day).

I'm turning 50 this year - I have made up my mind that I'm not going to do my usual complaining about getting older - I'm grateful for life - more so this year than any as I feel like it's a life worth living (without the booze). I say that now but hoping when the day comes, I don't pull a pity party cause my 40's are over :upset:

CG - you sound strong as well - being organized always makes me feel that I little control over my life - you are right - can't do that when drinking.

Hey Lav, Belle, Byrdie - anyone else who drop by - hope you all have a great night!

Oh jeez - hubby is again watching that stupid sasquatch show and if I hear that Squatch call just one more time . . .:H
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Jolie,

50 not too far off for me either. I look at it as a time when there are no more excuses not to have my stuff completely together. Sasquatch? Is that the bigfoot show on animal planet? I haven't watched it but it looks pretty stupid, the only thing worse might be that show where they catch catfish with their hands. Yuck! Hope all have a great night.
          2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

What's wrong with a granny nap Jolie? :H :H
            I love them but they interfere with my ability to sleep at night.....
            I turned 50 eight years ago. Didn't bother me all that much but the thought of turning 60 freaks me out a bit
            We'll just have to schedule lots of birthday parties in the nest

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes 14 hours! Lol, exhausted and fighting a cold.
              I surprised myself that I slept that long and felt like I had jet lag all day.

So glad everyone had a good day!
              Day 1 again 11/5/19
              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just about through the "Book". How do I not try Topomax? I am very similar in terms of usage, want out of this rat-race, and am motivated to do so. White knuckle, counseling....they don't cut it at 4:30 p.m.... Is it too good to be true? Honest question to what appears to be a very honest group.

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning Lovelies,
                  just starting out day 13.
                  i feel great! ready to handle a stressful day at work with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and lots of tea.
                  i also had a nap yesterday. it was sooo nice.
                  hugs to you all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

needbulls;1265742 wrote: Just about through the "Book". How do I not try Topomax? I am very similar in terms of usage, want out of this rat-race, and am motivated to do so. White knuckle, counseling....they don't cut it at 4:30 p.m.... Is it too good to be true? Honest question to what appears to be a very honest group.
                    I can only give you my experience, which I don't think is typical, but may give you some perspective about using Topamax. I went to my doctor and told her the whole story about my drinking problem. She actually prescribed Topamax for me. At the time I'd never heard of it. Subsequent Googling led me to the MWO book and this site.

My experience was mixed. At first it was wonderful. For the first time in my life I could have a few glasses of wine and just stop with no struggle. I had some side effects that I could deal with, mostly trouble finding the word I wanted. It was embarrassing on occasion, but given all the help it was giving me with drinking, I was willing to deal with a little embarrassment.

I was pretty euphoric about having found a solution to my drinking problem. I was still drinking, probably too much at times by some standards, but so much less than before that I was really quite happy.

At about four months I started to have a side effect that eventually forced me to drop the Topamax. I started to get really stressed. Little things at work and at home became a big deal. Most horrifying, I burst into tears at work...twice!! You have no way of knowing this, but that is not me! I'm a happy well adjusted roll with the punches kind of gal.

The crying at work was a deal breaker. Big time. So I stopped taking Topamax and predictably, started having trouble controlling how much I drank.

The upside though, and the reason I wanted to post this, was that my time of not feeling beaten down and defeated by my problem with alcohol gave me the hope that I could get out from under this problem, something I had begun to lose hope about. It gave me time to break bad habits and appreciate what a night without alcohol felt like.

Bottom line is that while my goal with Topamax was moderate drinking, I now have chosen to stop drinking altogether. It's working, and I couldn't be happier. Topamax, I think, was one of the pieces of the puzzle that got me here.

Good luck with whatever path you choose to follow. I think we all end up trying multiple things to find what things work best for us.
                    ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                    -----------------------------------
                    Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Irie, thanks for posting that - interesting perspective.
                      I didn't try any Rx meds although I probably would have because I felt so out of control & was ready to make some major changes in my life
                      Needbulls, white knuckling at 4:30 is not a great idea. Plan to replace your drink with something healthy. Change your after work routine just as well all did. You have probably seen some people talk about 'urge surfing'. That's what you need to do, just wait it out. A craving doesn't last all that long, maybe 15 min or so. Occupy your mind & hands with something else - it really works!

Off to get my busy day started. Wishing everyone a terrific AF Fat Tuesday
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good post Irie.
                        I have been lowering and lowering my topomax because I thought it may be the culprit to some over-emotion...and anxiety? Hmmm
                        Maybe I will go off it altogether now. It may be making me miserable! Who knew

Back to work today... I will catch up on posts tonight.
                        Wishing you all a sober happy day
                        Day 1 again 11/5/19
                        Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                        Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                        Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                        11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                        12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mandy, please don't hesitate to post whatever is on your mind regardless of whether or not you've had time to go back and respond to all the different themes......it's not nearly that organized here :H I think posting is important and everyone here is very open and accepting....no one will think a thing of it if you just jump in and say what's on your mind. I'm glad Mohun's post was helpful for you.......it was a huge help to me too.

Sorry I don't have time to go back and read everyone's posts, but I just wanted to wish everyone well. Tomorrow is my tiple digit day of 100..........yea! Hang in there everyone, because I promise sober is better. Just keep getting more and more sober chunks of time and eventually you won't want to give it up.

Sending you all peace and strength. :lilheart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi there

All this posting about sleeping must be a nest thing! I slept 10 hours last night and is very tired today.

Not much news from me. Busy, but funny dealing with thoughts and emotions I didn't know about before. Either too drunk or too hungover. Now I have "time" for my emotions.

Struggeling to find words. Will post when it becomes clearer.

Sorry Bulls - I don't have experience with those drugs. Used Ritalin to study last year and it was a bit scary, but works! Wonder why AL didn't scare me...

Shue - your tea sounds delicious!
                            12-20-2012 AF
                            Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning! I'm all messed up on days...thought yesterday was Sunday. This mid Feb school break is confusing me....I won't have much time to post this week...

Hey unwasted...I won't go crazy til tomorrow, but yea!

mandy, yeah, I too understand what you're saying. It can get overwhelming. Personally, I followed in Byrdie's footsteps and mainly just stick to posting just here in the nest - whatever random thoughts come into my head.... I found that the overwhelming feeling for me got worse when I was involved in too much here at MWO. Even though the nest is very active and lots of people, it's perfectly acceptable to just post whatever....AND you will always get so much support when needed and always find someone who is experiencing things similar to you.

gotta run!
                              lola
                              ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning, Nesters!
                                Just wanted to check in to see how we are all doing. Had to deal with one of my biggest triggers last night: A Sick Kid. I am so, so happy that I made it though AF.

I did learn something last night. My brain went straight to the "down side" of drinking which was a big deterrent. I saw what I was dealing with (sick kid) as being preferable to dealing with drinking and its after effects.

Unwasted...wow, 99 days today. You are doing wonderfully! You are so inspiring and helpful here in the nest.

Irie, you seem to be on a roll here too! Keep up the good work!

SH, Lola, Lav, Nursie, Mandy, Needbulls, Lifechange, (Jane, how are things in LV?) and everyone else...enjoy your day and see ya later!
                                BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Working...
                                X