Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Irie...thanks for the input. Added anxiety/depression/irritability would be a deal killer...I can do that all by myself! Thanks to all...I think my first step is to find the 'right' MD. Off to Europe, which doesn't make moderating any easier!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all my friends!

Wow, 3 days away and so much going on here! I spent my Saturday morning in Urgent Care AGAIN....this time it was my dad, he broke his ankle! Ugh, he was riding his bike on Friday, stopped to talk to someone, and when he got back up his leg had fallen asleep so down he went, and his ankle turned a full 90 degrees. He didn't go to the doctor until Saturday morning because he is stubborn. Poor guy, he is NOT one to sit around at all...and now he's got about 6 weeks of sitting around to look forward to. We are trying to keep him entertained! Thank goodness he's healthy as a horse otherwise, he is 71 but so active and healthy that this little mishap is going to drive him nuts! I'm just so thankful it's nothing serious!!!

The rest of my weekend was spent cleaning and we went roller skating Sunday night but I sat it out and just watched. I wasn't in the mood to break MY ankle. LOL I spent too much money this weekend, but my daughter and I had fun, we are suckers for "products" so we had a lot of fun looking at (and buying!) girly things, makeup, hair curlers, etc. Oh well, the money's gone but we had fun!

I need to go catch up, I miss being away for 3 whole days! Much love and strength to everyone!!!
      K9
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nursie;1265903 wrote: Good post Irie.
        I have been lowering and lowering my topomax because I thought it may be the culprit to some over-emotion...and anxiety? Hmmm
        Maybe I will go off it altogether now. It may be making me miserable! Who knew
        Hello All. I haven't been posting here much as it's so busy it's hard to keep up! But this thread caught my eye. Like Irie and Nursie and probably lots of others here I originally found this site through the MWO book and the idea to moderate with Topamax. I followed everything in the book, however for me the SE's with Topamax were over-emotion and worse yet, a feeling of sadness and depression. I felt kind of listless and like I didn't want to do anything. I guess channeled that could stop my drinking, but really for me it just didn't work. So that's when I started coming to this site and looking for alternatives!

So far with Antabuse I have to say for the first time the chatter in my head has come to a screeching halt. There are no options or questions here - just no AL. So I'm hoping this will turn out to be the key I need to get long term sobriety under my belt.

Hope everyone has a great AF day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All, just a quick post to say HI and check in. I am still here reading everyday, but not always posting. I have another very busy week of work ahead too. Take care and I hope everyone has a great AF week.
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I originally posted on Tell Your Story and I was referred here. I must say the "Newbie's Nest" is NOT easy to locate on this forum. Maybe if administrators are watching, they should move it the the main list on the forum. Just my 2 cents!! But I found you!! (wasn't easy).

Had 1st appt with counselor today. She said "alcohol is a depressant and will only may depression worse" I knew that already which led to "I want to know why I choose alchol as a drug of choice to self-medicate". She says that we need to cover a lot of ground but recommended I get the book, The Artist's Way which from what I can gain from Amazon's listing is a 12 week study of finding the real YOU and what YOUR path in life waas meant to be. Won't have it for a couple of days but sounds interesting. Anyone out there read it or can comment on?
            Thanks,
            Westiesrock
            "Leap and the net will appear." - John Burroughs

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good day everyone, hope everyone is doing well and achieving their goals. Spent a long weekend in the mountains falling redwood trees and cutting them into 30' lengths. Feel like I went 10 rounds in the octagon with a gorilla. I'm going to have a mobil milling machine cut them into lumber to build a deck around 3 sides of the cabin. So far so good for a AF 2012, wish you all the same good fortune. Once I made my mind up I can not drink the thought rarely comes to mind. I could bore through 10 feet of concrete with an ice pick if I set my mind to it. And thats how determined I am to give up drinking for good, I'm an alcoholic and I can not have one drink, end of story.
              Take Care WW
              100 days 04-10-12, entering the danger zone, Rodger that!

6 months July 1st

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well long story short....I got thru 2 AL free days, but last Fri night stopped and the rest is history. So today is Day 1 again. I am so utterly mad at myself. I keep hearing you have to really want it...I DO but what is wrong with me?? I pray others are doing well and I will continue this to fight this.
                Yesterday is experience, tomorrow is hope... today is getting from one to the other.
                GOAL 1 - 5 days AF
                GOAL 2 - 10 days AF
                GOAL 3 - 20 days AF
                GOAL 4 - 30 days AF
                GOAL 5 - Set new GOALS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Gingersnap!
                  I'm new here but can relate. I went 3days last week AF. And I thought well that was too easy, surely I can just have one....which turned into 5. So back to square one. I have to let it go completely and move on to that wonderful AF life that many of the members here experience....that's what I'm after. Maybe just needed to prove to myself that just one will keep putting me right back to square one.

This is the biggest struggle I've ever had in my life. Not a whole lot of drama in my background. I'm still drinking but.....but what?

Hang in there! We can beat this!
                  Westiesrock

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Winewrangler!
                    Cripe, you're killing me here as I sit at my desk. I think half of my problem is inactivity. Can't wait for spring when I can get back out in the yard mowing, gardening, etc. But don't quite have the stamina to take down trees!!! Good for you hanging in there with AF.
                    Westiesrock

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wine Wrangler - glad to see you again and even congrats on your AF status!

:welcome: westies! Sorry you had such a hard time finding us but stick around and before you know it you will be jumping around the different threads like a pro! Sounds like your serious - 1st appointment with counselor and all - hope it it helps just as I can pretty much guarantee hanging around here with this group will keep you inspired!

Ginger - here's a :l for you. Please don't beat yourself up. If you look around, I think you'll have a hard time finding a lot of us who got it right the first time (or the 2nd or the 3rd or the 8th:H) Just keep trying. I joined MWO in 2009 - 3 years later I'm still fighting. I have found that each try seems to be easier for me. The first time? I can tell you without a doubt I knew I would drink again - I wanted to quit, believe me I did but deep down inside I knew that I would drink again. Last year in January, I went 4+ months but I think somehow I knew I was always on the line and felt I could slide at any time - that's exactly what happened - slowly but a slide none the less back to where I started out - 1+ bottle of wine every single stinkin night.

If you ask me what's different this time, I don't know if I can put it into words. Wine just doesn't seem as sophisticated to me anymore - probably because I know 1 glass is never enough and by the time I get to 4 or 5, I know how crappy I'm going to feel in the morning so was it worth it? NO! I've gotten pretty involved in my church and my faith is probably deeper than it's ever been but that's not to say that's the answer for everyone.

Good luck to you my friend - please keep trying - you will be glad you did!
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesteroonies
                        Welcome Westie!

Things are calming down for me over here...criseses are all over for the most part. And GUESS WHAT I THOUGHT? "gee I could use a drink now that that's all over".

See? It's not just the hard times. It's the happy times. Easy times. Better times. Times you least expect.

I had cravings today. I really did. But I'm not letting cravings ruin my good day.

44 days. No going back.
                        Day 1 again 11/5/19
                        Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                        Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                        Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                        11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                        12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane! You are living a bad dream over there man! While he is at the conference can you take a tour to the desert and see the rocks? shopping? Spa?

Screw the 800, you're in Vegas. Just don't drink.

Try to get outside, find a good book and get a good spa treatment or yoga class.

Thanks for sharing your topa story. I am definitely getting off this stuff!
                          Day 1 again 11/5/19
                          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane, nursie is right. Those conferences are the worst. Just believe half of what you see and none of what they say. Can you set out to find a series of delicious cookies? That's what I did while the others were at the bar all afternoon. You are doing just great...tomorrow will be another day...just don't drink no matter what and no matter who. No drink is worth how it makes you feel...remember the GSR brothers?? You can do this...call me if you need me. All my strength to you>>>>> Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening nesters!

Wow, busy day here
                              Welcome to the newest newbies! Be sure you download a copy of the MWO book - it's the best way to get started.

jane, sorry LV is sucking so much for you
                              I've never been there & have absolutely no desire to go either. Hopefully you can venture out & find something interesting to do!

Ginger, time to alter your plan. Don't let another Friday night come & throw you off again. Make plans to keep yourself busy & away from AL We all have to do the same.

Unwasted, awesome on your 100 AF days
                              Truly a great feeling, isn't it?

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya Newbies, just wanted to say hello to all of you.

Jane, most of the hotels have nice day spas. I used to stay at the MGM, pay $25 for the day spa, have a workout, a steam room and a jacuzzi. Or you could check out some of the rides maybe at the Stratosphere. There are heaps of good restaurants. Do whatever it takes friend.

Hope all the regulars here are doing well!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Working...
                                X