Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Greetings from my cold corner of the planet!

Hi BlondeAF -- I think the cds are well worth trying. I fall asleep every night to the ?sleep learning? one from MWO. You also asked about Capn' G. I haven?t seen any posts from him in a very long time. He was here a lot when I first joined last September. Hope all is well with him.

Congratulations to Miklo on getting through day 1. It?s a tough one, but keep it up -- it will get easier!

Lav, I owe a special thanks to you. I have finally decided to take your advice and give meditation a try. Without wine as my ?relaxant? I really need to find a better way to cope with the daily stress and chaos in my life. Better than yelling at my kids and husband, feeling anxious and wishing I could just evaporate! I heard a guy (Mark Williams. a professor from Oxford) on the radio the other day who has written a book called ?Mindfulness: An Eight Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World?. He sounded so reasonable. I did the very quick guided meditation he did on air. It felt pretty good! So, I ordered his book and in the meantime I signed up for the free 21 day meditation course from the Chopra Meditation Center that I found out about from you. So far the meditations have been very calming which is just what I am looking for. If anyone else wants to give it a try I think you can still sign up. Today is day 4. Here?s the address to register: Chopra Center’s 21 Day Meditation Challenge

Jolie -- I drive by the liquor store in town nearly every day and wonder if the clerks ever wonder what happened to me. I was embarrassed every time I went in but it didn?t stop me from visiting just about every other day. (I sent my husband on my off days!)

Someone a few pages back (sorry I don?t remember who it was) suggested starting a thread about the good things that have happened since quitting. Today I pulled a brand new white shirt out of my closet to put on and guess what? It had a giant red wine stain on the front from the only time I had ever worn it. What a waste. Since I quit, I haven?t ruined a single piece of clothing. I was quite the sloppy drunk.

Well -- have to go, it?s time for the dinner routine...
    AF since 9/20/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

I know what you say about Vegas Jane. I've been there three times, the first I had a blast, second was OK, third time I couldn't wait to get the hell out. The conventions and conferences always seem to go there because their content is so f'in boring the only bait to get anyone to go is a party town. In the first month and a half of sobriety you made it through a vacation and a week in Vegas. You're made of something tougher than tough.
      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday all!

Just a quickie, as I am off to work in 10 mins. Everyone sounds like they are doing great.

Blond- So happy you were able to sleep the first night. I went through 3 sleepless nights. It really does feel great waking up sober. Also, exercise is key! It will help you so much when trying to quit al. It also gives you sooo much more energy. To think of all the time we wasted on the couch just drinking our life away. What a waste!

Jane- Screw the cost of the chocolate. Just eat! You are doing great!

Belle- You'd really be surprised at how many empty calories we consumed due to al. Keep eating what you like! Chocolate is my new best friend too!

Byrdie- How are you doing?

You guys have all been talking about the meditation cds which I can not get a hold of. Someone once mentioned a site where they have very soothing, relaxing music. Does anyone remember the name?

Wish I had more time to address all of you, but duty calls. Have a great al free Friday nesters!
        "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
        Goal 1- 3 days al free
        Goal 2- 7 days al free
        Goal 3- 1 month al free
        Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wicked Mom, I can so relate to the wine stain. Lordy, I ruined many outfits of my own and others by dropping red wine on them. It was a joke in my group of friends and also my family not to be around me when I drank red wine because I was sure to spill it on someone or something...like a white sofa. Also, I had to use bleach on my kitchen counters every morning to get rid of the many "rings" that stained them from the night before and so I ruined lots of garments with bleach stains too! Ugh! What is it about WHITE that attracts red wine so? Well, I guess I can wear lots of white now...lol.
          Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
          :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

I forgot about those rings! Yes, they were all over my house too. Once I ?fell asleep? on the couch with an unfinished glass of wine in my hand. It landed in my skirt and dripped through to the berber carpet on the floor. What a lovely way to wake up at 3:00 am. I am so glad to be rid of those days!!!!
            AF since 9/20/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Busy nest today!!!

Great to see everyone making progress too

jane, bless you...........what a week you've had! If you can do an AF week in LV you can do anything :H

WickedMom, glad you are enjoying the Chopra 21 day Meditation Challenge. I've done it several times & always get a lot out it too

CG, just go to www.chopra.com

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest.
              I'm calling it a day - I am tired after watching my grandsons all afternoon & evening.

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nest!
                Congratulations 100 Unwasted! You are such an inspiration and source of support to all of us.
                Blonde, welcome back!
                Mikio- great job! 1 day DONE! You can do this.
                Bed soon, so tired.

Jane is my idol with her 14 dollar can't bars and sober self!
                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Nursie!

It feels wonderful to have accomplished a chunk of time AF. It gives me the strength and confidence to know that I can do this indefinitely. I honestly don't think I'll drink again because I don't want to anymore. The two times I tried to quit before I was still in that deprivation mode........now the white-knucking is gone and I feel peaceful, relieved, free.

Nesters, I just want to reiterate that if you can keep it going, eventually it won't feel like a struggle. I wake up every day with a renewed sense of being thankful that I escaped the clutches of alcohol. That torturous life actually seems like a dim memory already! Being a non-drinker is starting to feel natural. It really is amazing, and I'm hoping you can all stay on track and give yourself a chance of a much better life even though it feels like a struggle when you're first starting! It gets better, I promise!

Stay strong everyone! :lilheart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all!

Happy Friday! Just a quick hello as I must dash out the door for work. Hope you all have a great day. Starting off Day 3 with vigor. Now that AL is out of my life, I almost feel as good as this little girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]]Jessica's "Daily Affirmation" - YouTube

ENJOY YOUR DAY AND BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT YOU HAVE! Love you all! :l
                    Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                    :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi nesters,

I was starting day 3 out anxious and tired. I did not sleep due to a work meeting today and prob withdrawals too. I got my butt on the treadmill and feel a lot better. I'd forgotten how good exercise can make you feel when your done. A heck of a lot better than when I finished a bottle of wine!!!! Happy Friday to everyone! I'm feeling a sober weekend coming on and I like it....
                      AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Unwasted, may I just commend you on that last post. This is the nut of the the whole process! It takes a good little while to reach, too. Indifference to ALCOHOL is the best feeling there is! After some time, it's not the constant pull and temptation. I know, as you do now, that we can easily live without it....and BETTER than before. But it does take a few months to get there. It is peaceful and not the constant mind chatter like before. I do not feel deprived one bit, I feel as tho I have something other people don't have. In the South, we call it 'REALIZE'. Maybe it's self awareness or something, but it certainly is an inner peace that no amount of AL could make me give up. The power of this site has made me 'realize' that even after months of sobriety...all is takes is one drink. It's NOT worth it. Having my life and my own thoughts back are worth EVERYTHING!
                        Great post UW...it only gets better from here!!! Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Amen Byrdie & Unwasted

Good morning Nesters, hope everyone has a fantastic AF Friday!
                          I'm running late but will pop in later.

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nest!

UW and Byrdie - thanks for the reminder that indifference is out there!! If I didn't know that in my heart I would still be banging my head against a brick wall trying to mod. LOL.

Blonde - congratulations on Day 3 with Vigor!

Nursie, Almost, Lav and all others to come happy AF Friday!

Comment

Newbies Nest

UW - you hit the nail on the head! I am in total agreement with you! Wasn't quite convinced that I could live without it during my last couple quits. This time, I'm feeling that inner peace and it's definitely outweighing the other wth voice that used to beg me to give in.

Never give up I say - it may take a while or a couple of quits but it's doable and definitely worth it!

Byrdie - you too! You guys are wise ones
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 3 done. It's been hard actually - my daughter's been ill this week and off school a couple of days so I'm tired, my husband is working on a big project from home so is stressed and today I looked after a friend's two girls so with my own, I had 4 kids. Usually once they get picked up, I'd have a drink cos it's my relaxation and emotional crutch.

I don't mind admitting I am not looking forward to the weekend to be honest. I know that if I can get to Monday, things will start to pick up but time seems to stand still at the moment!

Comment

Working...
                                X