X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Morning guys

Hope everyone is waking up to a wonderfully un-hung day

Busy day for me - working for a couple hours this morning (again) - then my brother, sister and I are getting together with my mom to discuss some issues with her living situation (must sell her house and I think we all know how hard that is these days).

One of the many benefits to being sober - watching movies all the way through and yes, remembering them the next day Hubby and I watched "The Way" with Martin Sheen last night - excellent movie. Also watched the movie "Courageous" last week. Anyone have any movie recommendations? Seems like we surf the channels every night and there is just absolutely nothing good on!

Has anyone wondered here after getting some sober time under their belts, about our friends and families and if they may have the same problems with drinking as we do? Nobody knew the real story with me (as I was a total closet drinker) but it's funny, when checking facebook from time to time I've noticed that some of my friends/acquaintenances seem to have a total obsession with alcohol - happy hour, always posting with a drink in their hand. I guess I'm always just wondering if one day someone I know will be reading my posts and figure out it's me:H

Anywho, like Lola, sometimes I just read, read, read and it's just amazing how much inspiration we can get from others here.

UW - I may just pick up the Jason Vale book - I read the Alan Carr book but didn't think I really got an ahah moment from it. I've seen so many others here post about what a great read it is.

Today - ODAT is a good idea. Sometimes I think it takes a couple times for us to "think we can moderate" before we realize that no - we really can't. Set small goals for yourself and I bet before you know it, the weeks will be adding up for you. Glad you are posting about your experience cause it will surely help others here!

:welcome: Sausage - this is definitely the place you want to be!

Hope everyone else has a great day!

Lav - the wind kept me up most of the night! The sun isn't up yet so I'm hoping I don't have to dodge any downed trees on my way into work today:H

Have a great day everyone!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning guys!

Been a busy day so far looking after the kids and had to do the food shop. My husband sat with them in the car though, so I got it done alone - much less stressful! I hope you guys would be proud of me ... I bought a bunch of lemons to have in hot water and when they went through the checkout, the cashier said to me," I hope you've got the gin and tonic to go with those". I replied, "No, I don't drink". Go me! Think he was a bit shocked lol and it's made me think about how I'm going to have to change my mindset to not feel like a freak. Alcohol is SO normal to everyone isn't it and I've never really thought it about like that before.

I'm taking my daughter to get her hair cut this afternoon and then to the theatre. Maybe then for a hot chocolate. I'm sure this afternoon will be fine, it'll be dinner time I start getting antsy. I'll report back later at the end of Day Four!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Has anyone wondered here after getting some sober time under their belts, about our friends and families and if they may have the same problems with drinking as we do?
        Jolie - ABSOLUTELY! AND IF THEY DON'T NOW, THEY VERY WELL MIGHT IN THE NOT-TOO-DISTANT FUTURE.

I think we'd be amazed, but people don't really talk about it -- they don't understand it themselves (yet) and they're on the slippery slope toward having a problem.

Have a great sober day Nesters - remember weekend days are just another day - you're just programmed to think otherwise. Save yourself and feel great tomorrow.

Sending you all peace and strength :lilheart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning All!

Love the "unhung" Saturday morning Jolie! I am indeed enjoying mine. Not much time to play on MWO this morning as I'd like to as I'll be heading out the door in a half hour to work and still need to eat breakie and get dressed. I'll be sure to check in later. Looking forward to my first sober Sat. night in a while. Waking up feeling refreshed on a Sunday morning rather than bracing myself for a hangover rememdy will be nice for a change. Real nice!

Good going Willow! You are sounding like the energizer bunny this morning! Way to go girl! I'm getting myself pumped with coffee and feeling quite spry myself. Got a busy day of retail as I work in a natural foods market/health food store and Saturday is our busiest day. As the manager, it can sometimes be stressful but I really do love the place, my crew and the job itself. After that, it's off to the gym for me and then dinner and maybe some reading or TV. Hubs and I have booked a cruise to Bermuda in early June so much of our free time is spent looking at guide books and figuring out what we are going to do when we are there. Can't wait!

Well, leaving you all with sunny thoughts. Thanks for the book top UW...I will add that one to my list. Today, I pick up "My Lush Sobriety" from the library. I'll let you guys know how it is. Apparently, it's about a hardcore party girl turned sober. Should be interested and really hit home!

Have a fantastic Saturday everyone and stay strong!
          Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
          :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Excellent stuff Willow! To everyone starting out it gets easier as the no-alcohol routine takes hold. Like Unwasted said we all need to change our thinking about alcohol and how damaging it is. Our changed thinking can only come from having alcohol free time. Going for a long run this morning, then a bunch of work for me. It's the busiest time of the year for my practice. Have a great weekend everybody!
            2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning everyone, thanks for all the welcome and encouragement you gave me yesterday. I'm now on day 2 , it was great waking up this am without feeling rough/ dehydrated. Tonight is going to be tough as its Sat and whilst I adjust to the new routine and find a sustitute drink too to replace wine.
              I'll be back later - have a good AF day everyone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

The winds sure are howling Jolie - strange
                My brother is a huge drinker, always has been. A couple of years ago I asked him (nicely) to please stop posting on Facebook when he's drunk. His response was to call me 'The Ultimate Bitch' on facebook then later de-friended me :H :H What an A____hole :H
                I understand from others that he's still doing the same thing & I can see that his two kids are as well.

Willow, that was great! Just keep telling people 'No thanks, I don't drink'. The more you hear yourself say it the more you believe

Greetings Blondie, Unwasted, allswell & everyone! Sausage - make a plan for the weekend ~ don't just leave it to chance. Better safe than sorry

Have a great AF Saturday everyone!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning!!!
                  Unhung, love it!!
                  Everyone is sounding so positive in the nest today, it's so wonderful to see!
                  I WAS checking out the meds forum about my topomax and Xanax but I think I will stay out of there for now. Too hot in there.
                  I kept waking up thinking I was late for work, and kept reminding myself it is Saturday. I definitely need a vacation.
                  I know I'm feeling good at 48 days.
                  Unhung Saturday. Haha love it
                  Day 1 again 11/5/19
                  Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                  Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                  Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                  11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                  12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jumping into the nest for a snuggle on this cold snowy Canadian winter morning. Sober Saturday. Love it. Hi everyone.
                    Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
                    Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                    10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                    2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
                    Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
                    AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
                    Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all!

Nursie thanks for the warning about the meds section - I've noticed the comments in that section can get pretty heated too! :H I prefer the comfy nest. :h

I woke up this morning early and did a short meditation and went for a long walk. It's SO great to be unhungover on Saturday. I've got several movies for later and I'm drinking my protein smoothie for breakfast. I'm trying not to get hung up on my weight right now but I'm about 10 lbs over where I was when I needed to lose 10 lbs...LOL. I guess that means I need to lose 20 lbs!! And it's bothering me!! However I'm trying to just slow down and take it one day at a time with everything. Sobriety is my first priority.

Have a fantastic day all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Bouchard! Cross post!

Comment

Newbies Nest

hi! Old man winter finally showed up here - and he is NOT happy!!!!!!! Yikes!

Nursie, holy crap....you have 48 days???? I'm sure I congratulated you at 30? But it seems like just yesterday you had 47...haha! kidding - you're really racking up the days!

I HAVE to venture out in this windy snowy mess - ugh.

Lav, sounds like you're describing my family! ;-)

See ya later!
                          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Halfway through my witching hour guys ... I've had my bath and in my PJ's. Think this is going to be the way forward. Man, but I am cranky! I just had to come upstairs away from my family cos I'm so snappy!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hang in there Willow! You are doing great!

Jolie - Good question! I CONSTANTLY wonder about other's drinking habits. Especially those that seem to be party animals, but somehow keep everything together... How do they do that I also think we notice more now that we are not fixated on getting AL into our systems.

Not much news. Studying...and finding every other excuse not to...
                              12-20-2012 AF
                              Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starting to approach the witching hour, day 2, Saturday night, this is tough!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X