Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

awesome! Hang in there sausage...and nice going Jane! :-)

I kind of like saying amygdala.....

amygdala..........ohmmm..........amygdala.
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

lolab;1274804 wrote: awesome! Hang in there sausage...and nice going Jane! :-)

I kind of like saying amygdala.....

amygdala..........ohmmm..........amygdala.
      :H:H:H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks everyone - I'm ok now - you all helped so much and I feel a lot better. Had a large glass of pomegranate juice in the end. Byrd - really liked your day 13 post. Am hoping things pick up around the 2 week mark. Fly I commented about the amygdala issue on the other thread. Thanks for your help. Everyone else too - thank you foe your support - I'm so glad I didn't cave - there are no solutions at the bottom of a wine bottle. And next I want to find out more about meditation.

Goodnight all and i'l see you all tomorrow evening after work.

Sausage x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all -- along with the amygdala there?s the ?basal ganglia? to consider as well! I was just listening to an interview on the radio with a guy who has written a book called ?The Power of Habit -- Why We do What We do in Life and Business.? It?s interesting. He talks about changing habits on vacation and claims it is one of the ?proven most -successful ways to do it.? He says:

?If you want to quit smoking, you should stop smoking while you're on a vacation ? because all your old cues and all your old rewards aren't there anymore. So you have this ability to form a new pattern and hopefully be able to carry it over into your life." So, for all of you heading off to Jamaica? here?s your chance!

He also talked a little bit about why he thinks AA works. I found his perspective interesting, although maybe a bit simplistic. I've never participated in AA so I don't really know. Basically he thinks it works because it changes a persons routine. If you want to listen to the whole thing you can find it at: Habits: How They Form And How To Break Them : NPR

Good going Sausage! I?ve been doing the free 21 day meditation challenge that I found out about on this site from Lav. I think you can still register. Today is day 15, but all of the meditations are still available. It?s pretty calming and takes about 15 minutes or so a day. You might want to give it a try... Just Google
          "Chopra Center?s 21 Day Meditation Challenge" to find it.
          AF since 9/20/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

WTG Sausage, tomorrow you will wake up stronger.
            2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Gang!

Hope you all had a wonderful day! Tomorrow marks 2 weeks of sober living for me and I must say, today was the icing on the cake...I just feel so GOOD all of the time. I know, to those who are not feeling so great, you probably want to squish me like a bug, but I reallly am enjoying my sobriety and I just wanted to let you know to hang in there...it only gets better with each passing day you are off the sauce.

Anyway, hi to everyone and welcome to all the new comers! See you on the boards!
              Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
              :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

On the topic of happiness -
                I believe that each & everyone of us gets up each day & makes a conscious decision - to be happy or not. I've read a bit about 'learned optimisim' while others refer to 'fake it until you make it'.......
                Whatever you choose, be happy with your choice
                Meditation does indeed help rewire your brain. I chose meditation to replace the wine I used to guzzle to 'relax'. I started out with the MWO Hypno CDs then found lots of other sources. We have to make changes in our lives to get rid of these addictions & grow!

Great to see everyone, wishing you all a safe night in the Nest.

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!!!

Just a quickie this morning as I am off to work in a few. Today marks day 20.

Sausage- Great job! You hang on and you will wake up feeling wonderful tomorrow. If you are feeling sad or low, you know that a glass (or 4) wont help. It'll will only make you feel more sad and low. Especially the next day when you have to come here and write day 1. Keep that in mind the next time the urge comes a knocking!

DSLR- Do post!!!! Anything you are feeling, experiencing, the good times, the bad times, questions, etc. They WILL help you and others more than you know!

FD- Happy birthday! Hope you had a great sober birthday with a huge chocolate cake! Save me a sliver.

Blonde- I feel the same as you! I am usually a very happy, positive, energetic person, except when drinking. When drinking it is the exact opposite. It's nice to be my old self again and I am sure you feel the same way! Great job on 13!

Jane- Good for you! And thanks for keeping us posted. You should be so proud of yourself.

To all my other nesters, K9, Belle, Lav, Byrdie, WM, All, Lola, etc, wishing you a wonderful day/afternoon/evening/night!
                  "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
                  Goal 1- 3 days al free
                  Goal 2- 7 days al free
                  Goal 3- 1 month al free
                  Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesties,

Just checked in and wondered if I'd missed a mini foreign language course - "amygadala", "basil ganglia"??? Never ever heard of these but of course now I'm going to have to google them (if for no other reason than to learn how to pronounce them )

Good job hanging in there Sausage - this is the place you want to be when those strong cravings hit and I think you'll agree the support here is awesome.

For me I'm starting to feel like this is normal now - not drinking. I'm a lot calmer and don't seem to be fighting the evil voice in my head as much - you know, the one that say "hey, come on - look how well you are doing! Just one little drink won't hurt". I know better. One little drink leads to many more little drinks and then I find myself right back where I was. NO THANK YOU!

Peace and strength to all who are struggling - hope everyone has a restful, sober evening!
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Canadian Gal! I couldn't agree more...I am also the exact opposite when I am drinking...unhappy, negative, all of that. It's hard to feel good when you feel like crap and in a dark trap! I choose to be happy and FREE!
                      Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                      :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

CG - crosspost! Crazy how you are getting up and going off to work and I'm getting ready to head to bed. Hope you have a great day and congrats on 20 days!
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goodnight! Or morning, whichever the case may be for all of you... I made it through this Day 1 and it was quite a lot better than I expected. I am happy to be sober tonight, and grateful to read all your words before bed.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone - just reporting in at the end of Day 2. As much as I fell back to my drinking ways, I have to say that I have kept everything in place to ensure that alcohol no longer has a place. My life has completely changed over the time since I first came here. I volunteer with a drama group for adults with learning disabilities - I make props and paint stage scenery for the shows they put on - a lot of work but working with these people and seeing how they manage to be so joyful no matter what always puts a smile on my face. I have also taken up an acrylic painting class and am really enjoying meeting new people and getting back to something I used to love before alcohol took over. I also go the gym and swim - each 3 times a week'
                            My attitude to life is a lot more positive and I only feel good when I am alcohol-free.
                            When I go for a night out, I do not drink any more.
                            Why then, I hear you ask, did I fall? I did and what more can I say, only that I felt all the good stuff unravelling very quickly and I had to really take myself in check and decide if I want to move backwards or forward with my life. Maybe all the other slips I had just weren't bad enough to make me really believe that I couldn't drink again. I hadn't quite sunk back to the ugliness that is living with alcohol - been down that road again and it is a dead end!!!!
                            I feel relieved to be back with you all and so thankful that you are here......that's all....roll on day 3
                            IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                            Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters

Pocket & Daisy - congrats with the 1st & 2nd days! It is uncomffortable, but do-able. Enjoy today!

Sausage - Riding out the waves! It is good to see all the MWO support in action and it confirms that cravings pass. We just have to be patient.

All this brain talk made me realize that there have been a few times the past 2 weeks that I got frustated with my children and opened my mouth and.... said something really calm and then the situation dissolved on its own! And everytime I thought - wow! I didn't scream!!?

Without counting the days or riding big craving waves (except for this weekend) my life and brain is still changing and it gets me excited!! This bit of blue gloom that follows me everyday will change too!
                              I cry just about everyday now for some or other reason, but it is way better that getting frustrated and screaming at my kids and thinking I'll be more patient if I can only down my second glass of wine!!

Happy AF day Nest!
                              12-20-2012 AF
                              Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

hello all

Been following on Iries posting since I have gotten over my snit fit.. felt too embarrassed to come back to the nest.. but this is where I need to be ...hi all missed you

Comment

Working...
                                X