• Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I love it when our Byrdie sings!
    Sober for the Revolution!
    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

For my 2 cents, I'll be 16 days tomorrow, the physical detox was one thing but the worst thing was the chattering of the head. Today is the first day I really got a sense of mysef again, I spent much of the last 2 weeks in my head or crying, out of control emotions, I was awful down, terrible negetive self talk, but what helped me is to remember to remind yourself when your goin through it, that most of it is a non reality, try not to listen or trust your head too much, your mind is just cleaning itself up, and its a horrible head space that could easily lead you back to al to shut it up, please please hang in there and make steps towards never having to go through that terrible mental torture again, and keep getting stuff of your chest here

I'm not fooling myself either I know there may be painful days ahead but without drink non of them could possibly be as sad, depressing and miserable as the initial detox
      "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande and Byrd- both of your posts resonated with me. Thank you! They were just what I needed to read.
        AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goodnight all, day 13 safely completed. It helped that I was out until late this evening so came home just for cup of tea and a yogurt.

A number of you have mentioned day 13 being the turning point, so I will see how I get on tomorrow - it is not a busy day like today was so I will have more time to reflect and think about AL!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm happy to be back with all you "nesters"!!

My day 2..

Last 2 days i was in crazy pain - my pancreas can' t stand my drinking anymore..
            And i'm really concerned about amount of wine which i can drink when i start..
            I'm just scared..last night i slept very bad because of pain, it' still there but getting a litlle bit better. Yestarday i was not able to eat, vomit and pain..
            I know it' s sounds crazy - at the moment i can' t even think about AL, but i know that after 3-4 days when pain is gone, i start feeling better - i' ll have tought about wine again..
            I just don' t understand how body and mind of alcoholic has so short memory of previous suffering..
            The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
            /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!

I echo what Lav and the others have said...no one is wasting anyone's time or supportive efforts here...we all have our good days and bad days. Even on the bad days, or the Day 1 days or the Day 30, 60, 90 or 4 months mark (way to go UW by the way...love the new avatar too!), we are all here for one reason...to get and stay sober. Why? Because we are fed up with what drinking has done or did to us and we want positive changes in our lives. We want help and we want to help others get through this. So, never feel you are wasting anyone's time. We all learn from each other, no matter what the post! The most important thing is that you post and do not disappear, ok?

Sending vibes of strenght and light out to all of those struggling tonight...including myself. I've had a great day, I've made it 2 weeks sober, but thoughts of drinking float into my mind still. The important thing to do is just ride out the craving until it subsides. Eat 3 pieces of buttery cake with icing (LB!) or whatever it takes, just don't cave into the wreckage.

Love and peace for a safe sober evening to all.
              Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
              :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,
                I just read back a couple of pages, and feel so warmed by all the support here. People struggling, people doing well...newbies, old-timers...it doesn't matter. We all want the same thing, which is to re-find our true selves that AL has hidden from us for so long. Nobody is wasting anybody's time. When you least plan on it, you may be saying something that strikes a chord and makes a difference in someone else's journey.

I just love what Lav said about how struggling never killed anybody. So true. I was surprised to be struggling a bit today. Not really craving AL, but just sort of depressed during what was such a beautiful day. Maybe I am just at that point in my journey where that is going to happen...the happy newness of being AF is wearing off. I don't know...

So glad to see you all here. I wish I could hang out longer, but have to do yet another lice treatment on my daughter...the fun never ends here! :H
                BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters, just popping in at the end of Day 4. Been a good week, with each day getting better - as I said before I just feel relieved to be starting again rather than continuing in the downward spiral that I got myself into.
                  Went to my art class tonight. Painting acrylics on canvas for the first time - really enjoying it. Got a wee boost tonight when others in the class were saying how much they liked my painting - I'm not very confident as I am a first-timer at this and the rest have been painting for years.
                  Such a mix of posters here today - to anyone on day 1 or lurking; better that than the alternative.
                  As I have learned to my cost, leaving MWO to one side is not an option.
                  So many of you are clocking up big numbers - one day I'll be there too!
                  Wishing you a happy sober tomorrow all!!!
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belle, Byrdie would say go find yourself a big cookie
                    The newness does wear off at some point but then you find a real sense of comfort & confidence in your AFness!

Daisy, you should post some pics of your painting - we'll tell you if you're any good or not :H :H
                    Just kidding of course!!! Enjoy yourself & your painting!

Have to be up real early tomorrow so I will wish everyone a safe night in the nest!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just wanted to say hello and goodnight at the end of day 3! I relate to so much of what you all say. I hope no one stops posting... reading that others are where I'm at, where I've been, and where I am determined to be is incredibly powerful. Thank you, nesters!

I'm off to bed... still not sleeping well. I have had two cups of nighttime tea. Hope it does the trick. Last night I had the most bizarre dreams about dinosaurs when I did fall asleep. Yes, dinosaurs. Probably a blessing, since I watched "Rain in My Heart" last night. Dreams could have been a lot worse. The film was powerful, terrifying, and a big reason I couldn't sleep. I am ready for a restful night.

Every one of you, especially those who are struggling right now, are in my thoughts tonight. :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belle, the pink cloud effect....we do sort of effervesce when we first quit drinking, and then things settle in.....so for me there is definitely a change. But, as Lav said, there's a comfort there too. I think we're just dealing with life for the first time in so long, it feels kind of weird, but in reality it's just life. I think it's good though. It may not feel "yippee" but there's a lot of satisfaction in knowing what we're doing and not suffering through the torture of drinking. The occasional thought about alcohol, the sort of wistful "euphoric recall" are small potatoes compared to battling the horror of a hangover, struggling through every minute of the day trying to recover from the poison we guzzled the night before. Life isn't perfect sober, but it's light years better!

Blonde, thanks! pretty little critter, isn't my pinkie butterfly.

Audrey, just wanted to say hi - I remember your posts from back when....it's like Jason Vale says, the drug never changes, just our perspective of it. I hope you can get sober this time.......have you gone to a doctor? Is your boyfriend still drinking heavily? Wishing you the best.....I hope you can give your body the healing it obviously needs.

Daisy, how cool that you're taking an art class and getting good feedback. I think that would be a wonderful outlet!

Pocket, the sleep will improve. I'm sleeping better thank I ever dreamed possible (pun intended).

Strength and peace to everyone tonight :l:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good afternoon Nesters!

To all my wonderful lady Nesters: Happy International Women’s Day! Treat yourself to something nice today that doesn’t include al!

Thanks to Byrdie ad Lav for reminding us again why al has no place in our lives. I also want to add the positives and negatives after living 22 days sober:

Positives:
                          I have so much energy
                          I am eating very healthily
                          Food tastes better
                          I am exercising daily
                          Nothing on my body hurts anymore
                          I sleep very well
                          I wake up feeling very well and don’t wake up exhausted, foggy headed and with a headache
                          My relationships are better
                          I actually remember what people said to me, what movie I watched or what book I read.
                          I don’t have to lie to anyone (especially myself)
                          I have saved money (Side note- my drinking never cost a lot…beer here is cheaper than orange juice. But the money saved is enough for me to go for foot massages twice a week if I had the time).
                          I do the things I need to do and don’t procrastinate. Ie., I no longer “waste” my time.
                          I look better (eyes, hair, etc.)
                          I am no longer poisoning my body with al.
                          I am connected to all of you.
                          I am not a danger to anyone.
                          I am more confident.
                          The most important: I AM HAPPY!!!!

Negatives:
                          My skin looks worse. But that can be easily fixed.
                          I am smoking a tad more. Also something that can be fixed.

The proof is in the pudding. So try it. Tell yourself you don’t drink anymore and stick with it. Struggle in the beginning. The struggle is well worth it. You will reap so many more benefits than if you keep drinking.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!
                          "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
                          Goal 1- 3 days al free
                          Goal 2- 7 days al free
                          Goal 3- 1 month al free
                          Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi birds!

LibraryGirl - I was just busy with my second chocolate bar when I read about your 3 slices of cake!!:H Funny enough, I am slowly starting to lose some. Like my pants sits a little bit better. 2 weeks ago I had trouble breathing in them.

Belle - Yes, you have some good AF time now and there is something "down" about it. I've been struggling with it for a while, but the last 2 days I heard a little voice telling me to just push through it! It is the same little voice that screamed for help when I was spiraling out of control last year... It's going to be good!! That little voice is me!!What I really want and need.

Sober struggling vs. Hangover recovery?
                            Have a good day!
                            12-20-2012 AF
                            Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

I am up insanely early today to begin an insane day of watching my grandsons (age 3 & 11 months) from 8 am-8:30 pm). Oh Boy :H

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Thursday. Welcome back Audrey.

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning friends!

I'll just add that I don't think anybody is wasting anyone else's time by posting on here. At some point, every one of us here started to look for help by typing something into a search engine, probably because we felt we needed help for our drinking. Don't be discouraged by little starts and stops on the way, just struggle! Life is really so much better without alcohol in it. If you just push through every little obstacle, you will be so glad you did!

Daisy45, I think it's very cool that you are painting (I know that is such a typical response, but I mean it).

Unwasted, I agree with you about things settling. I think it helps to be realistic and remember that we are just human beings and still succeptible to the minor irritations and cues that made us "want" to drink. Hungry, alone, lonely, tired (H.A.L.T.), not enough excercise, too much excercise, ate something spicy, not enough sleep etc, etc can make us feel down.

Canadian Gal, that is a wonderful list, and I think that is a great way to take stock of all the benefits! Glad you are doing well. I think the skin will clear up eventually.

Steady hands "Sober struggling vs. Hangover recovery?" I love it, not really much of a choice.

Have a great AF day everyone!
                                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Working...
                                X