Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hope you all had a great St Paddys day! I danced through the streets wearing a big cuddly bear outfit! It was soooooo hot! Great craic! Then went to watch my niece doing her Irish dancing at a charity function. Anyone I bumped into today was either drinking, going for one or talking about it; didn't bother me - had a great fun day and now exhausted; maybe it helped that I reached my 2 week mark today.

Stella, you've done so well - every alcohol-free day adds strength and you have loads; good luck!
    Merry, glad to hear you're 'getting serious'.....

Hi to the rest of you busy nesters and for those of you in the UK, a Happy Mothers Day tomorrow!
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Nestaroonies,
      Happy St. Pats. Corned beef and cabbage today and GREEN tea lol.
      Traffic everywhere. Parades everywhere. Cops everywhere.

It was so cool to be at the grocery store and not buy alcohol or even care to on St. Patricks day.
      Day 1 again 11/5/19
      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi to finally done ~ sounding good!

merry, good to see you back. Sorry you are dealing with so much stress but giving up AL now will help, honestly. Get your plan together, make adjustments & stick around with us

daisy, glad you had a great day & will not be dealing with a hangover tomorrow like so many

Nursie, it's grea twhen AL looses it's grip, isn't it? I love to feel free to go anywhere & not have to worry.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, I almost forgot to sprinkle the sober dust!
          Day 1 again 11/5/19

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I didn't have time to catch up last night on the posts but I wanted to share a story of my last night's events.

My hubs, his alcoholic friend, a chippie he brought, and I went out to dinner. No one drank except the alcoholic friend. My husband had to leave early, so it was just us 3. His al friend and I have drank together on MANY occasions. I could always count on getting drunk when he was around and always looked forward to his visits. Last night he said to me "So you've stopped drinking?" I said "Yes" He said "Really?" I said "Well this year I will be 30. I want to stop all my bad habits by the time I hit 30. Drinking was first because it was easiest. In the summer, I will quit smoking." His chippie chimed in and said "You will be 30 this year too. You should quit drinking." He said "Quitting drinking for me is hard. I can go a day or two, but then day 3 or 4 I drink." The whole time we were eating, I could see his hands shaking and I am guessing that he was having a slight case of the shakes. We then got into a long discussion about which was worse for you: beer or Chinese rice wine. As we were having this discussion, someone bumped into me. It was a very drunk guy (probably very early 20's) weaving and stumbling towards the bathroom. Clearly very very drunk. He went to the bathroom to throw up. He came out of the bathroom, stumbled a bit, then his cheeks puffed up AND, yes, he puked on the floor. Then stumbled back to the bathroom to get the rest of it out. I said to the al friend "And this is why I prefer not to drink. How nasty was that???"

Let's be happy that we will never be in that situation. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekends!
            "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
            Goal 1- 3 days al free
            Goal 2- 7 days al free
            Goal 3- 1 month al free
            Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Cloudy & foggy over my portion of the nest at the moment but looking forward to some sun this afternoon. Will be cooking out on the grill & enjoying kids & grandkids company. Another reason to love the sober life

CG, puking people in a public place is gross
              A very good reminder of why we are here, right?? Stick to your plan & meet your goals this year

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yucko on the puking in restaurant.:eeew: Does anyone really need a clearer sign that alcohol is a poison??

Hi Nesties!!! I'm feeling really great this morning. Finally got my house clean yesterday, and last night...Still needs a bit of work, but it's in a shape I can live with. We went to the flea market yesterday with some of our ebay items that we couldn't sell online, and bought a table for the day. It was fun, and profitable...Going back today to hopefully make even a bit more.:rays:

See you soon, and Love to All!:h

P.S. We didn't buy a table. We rented one, to sell our items (hee he). Hopefully today we will get a shaded table. Got a little sunburned yesterday.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Canadian Gal, was your alcoholic friend my brother? Lol sound just like him. And he would rather portray that he's having a good time than admit defeat and how hard it is to take the big step.

I will be cleaning and organizing All. Day. OCD in full effect.
                  Day 1 again 11/5/19

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning!!!! cg, that sounds awful...I remember last August - probably one of the motivating factors for me to totally quit this last time....was seeing my SIL wandering around a restaurant - and not being able to find her way back to us from the restroom....she made her "DIL-to-be" cry and ruined her bachelorette party...awful.

Daisy I am thoroughly enjoying hearing you sound so great!

I have loads to do - and will pay more attention here tomorrow. I enjoyed an awesome St. Patty's day - it was in the 80's and sunny - but I did soak my stew beef in some beer - it was poured off and dumped down the drain - and beer doesn't tempt me anyway. NOw if someone had a recipe for vodka marinated beef? Nope, I wouldn't even tempt myself . :-) not to mention it sounds gag worthy.

I hope everybody's going strong. I love my life that has slowly become NOT focused around alcohol.......it's amazing the things that there are to do that aren't centered in a bar or get togethers that aren't planned around "what cocktail should we drink?" :-) I'm finding there aren't enough hours in the day.
                    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Merry - Took a quick look at some of your recent posts. Boy, you have been through some stuff. But all the more reason to gather your wits and dive into the AF life. Not easy. But it will be so worthwhile once you are able to claim just a little success. I'm another newbie and have found so much useful stuff here. Including the simple line: It's a craving - NOT a command! That is sticking with, and helping, me. Good luck to you!!!
                      Tell me, what is it you plan to do
                      with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 24 for me, and I think the evening cravings are getting easier.

But....it's mothering Sunday here in UK ( I know mother's day is at a different time in USA and possibly other countries) so a lot of my Facebook contacts have been posting mothers day photos of family get togethers /lunches surrounded by alcohol !! And I ended up thinking about the wine, and thinking "I will never be able to do that" I know it's wrong of me to think like that and I'm sure the lunch would have been just as good without AL.....and some of them probably have stinking hangovers now!

But even so.....it still makes me a little sad, so I know I haven't won the mental battle yet as I know long term abstainees will tell me I shouldn't be thinking like that!

Take care all x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters! I am outside all day loving this UNBELIEVEABLE warm weather up here in Minnesota. It's been over 70 Farhenheit for 4 straight days and tomorrow might be day number 5. We might get our first thunderstorms of the season on Monday. I love enjoying the weather with a sober breath. Hope everyone is doing great!
                          Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Newbies Nest

Finallydone, you really sound like you're in a good and peaceful place in your sobriety. I enjoy reading your posts.
                            Merry, hope you're doin ok today.

I spent the day cleaning and gardening. Lots of physical hot sweaty work.
                            I was sitting down on an upside down planting pot catching my breath when I thought "Man I could go for a cold beer". The warm weather, working outside and bBQs are a whole new challenge I hadn't thought about until today.

I made big glasses if icy seltzer with slices of lemon and it seemed to really do the trick. It was crisp, zesty and felt almost like we were having a cocktail lol.
                            Day 1 again 11/5/19

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Glad to see everyone enjoyed a good Sunday. I have been busy with family, grilling chicken outside & just enjoying the sober life

Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey CG, nice to see you posting here. I thought I would nip in as I read about your post. My god that sounds just gross. Yet another reason to chill on the AL consumption. (I didnt do anything quite that rediculous, but i definetely made a complete ass of myself on more than one occassion, for sure).

Love the avatar pix of your pooch, what a cutie.

Kaslo
                                Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X