Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

A quick hello before I head off to bed. Day 13 today, and still tired, but I'm just going to keep on keeping on and just let my body do it's thing and trust that it knows what it needs. My head does get clearer and clearer, which is really great, and at least now that I'm not drinking I can actually hope that things will get better - as opposed to drinking and being tired and knowing that there's not much chance of improvement.....
    I'm not having any cravings, which is great, but every day I see how much drinking is such an ingrained habit, that I feel as though I could pour a drink and slip so easily back into that way of spending my evenings - it's quite terrifying. And it keeps me coming back here to read and read and read every day so that my head is filled with both reminders of why this is so important, as well as all the positive support, advice and comments. I really want to fill my head with new ways of thinking so that the old ways are just crowded out eventually and just have no place any longer....

I've also been becoming aware of how badly - and how little - I actually eat! More often now I wake up in the morning HUNGRY, but I'm still not eating as well as I'd like. Now that school and routine are back tomorrow, I'll get back on the AllOne so that I'm getting more fuel in. I also haven't started exercising - part of me wants to wait for the blasted snow to finally go, and part wants to wait till I feel more energetic. That doesn't leave much left to feel motivated to just go out the front door and walk right now. Must start thinking myself into that frame of mind soon!

Lav - enjoy your little bundle! I don't think anyone should ever decide they are too old for a pet - they give us so much joy and comfort, we should never deny ourselves that pleasure! Hope she's house-trained soon though!

PF - sorry to hear things have been so rough. I sooooo get the not-sleeping thing, and I also started drinking in part to just go to sleep and switch off my over-active brain. My docs eventually wouldn't give me sleeping tabs any longer, but then put me on Trazadone, which is like a sedative, but non-addictive. It both helps me get to sleep and STAY asleep. Worth mentioning to your doc perhaps? Helps with anxiety too....

Patrice - good luck with the rowing machine, hope it helps! Glad you've got this place for support, sounds like you've got a challenging life, far away from home and looking after a son all by yourself. Strength to you!

Steady Hands - did you say you are in SA? I grew up in Namibia, but live in Canada now. Say hello to Africa for me!

Okay, enough waffling, time to go to sleep. So nice to be able to say that I'll "see" you all tomorrow when I check in! Nighty-night....
    If you always think what you've always thought,
    You'll always feel what you've always felt.
    If you always feel what you've always felt,
    You'll always do what you've always done.
    If you always do what you've always done,
    You'll always get what you've always got.

3 Days AF = DONE
    6 Days AF = DONE
    14 Days AF = DONE
    21 Days AF = DONE
    28 Days AF = DONE
    30 Days AF = DONE
    60 Days AF = hmm, much bigger gap to this goal, but let's see if ODAAT works for this one too....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All,

I am new here and just wanted to say thankyou! Newbies Nest has been a great help and I am seven days AF today. I have been visiting the site daily and have found it a great help. It's so good to know there is support available.

Beffy

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Beffy! Congrats on 7 days! And please feel free to speak up to ask anything you want. :-)!

DesertLady - I have the Trazadone - I've just refused to take it. I've been scolded and scolded by the doctor about it as she thinks a lot of why I drank came from trying to shut off my brain at night. (Sound familiar Lav?)

So last night I took one. It was the first night I fell straight to sleep, no crazy dreams. I did have to get up to eat due to hypoglycemia once - which was horrible because I was so sleepy standing at the fridge - I could have cried. But I got some. So it's a start.

I'll try to get more sleep tonight courtesy of Trazadone. I hope getting more sleep every night will make a difference in how overwhelming this is feeling.
        That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
        Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

PF honestly sleep really controls all.. I firmly believe that.. at the start of sleep problems it's ok to do whatever helps you sleep, pills, sex, milk ,rescue remedy.. but sleep is paramount to our health and energy and effectually our lives.. Great to be AF, Smoke free, Chocolate free but if sleep isn't part of the parcel.. none of the above is actually effective even though we give it all up ( So tells me my good friend who is an expert in sleep issues... he always said.. Little sleep.. Big problems.. and 20 years later after much research he is saying exactly the same thing )

Sleep well my friends
          patrice

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Was able to jump on the wi fi at my son's house - glad I brought my iPad along!

I actually managed to sleep 6 straight hours with the puppy in the crate right next to my bed. Pretty cool!!!!

Wishing everyone a great AF Tuesday. I just dropped the 3 yr old off at preschool so now I can 'relax' with the 1 year old for a few hours (yeah, sure).

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nester's!!! I quit smoking in August of 2010 and trust me you will feel SO much better!!! I smoke for about 18 years.

Today is Day 4 for me...I am SO Proud of myself...I feel so great! I woke up very hyperactive and goofy. Which does scare me a bit. Is this normal or do I just feel great. Am I going to break soon because I feel so good so early or is this a good sign. I am always worried about something so maybe its just a good think and I should just roll with it.

Anyway HAPPY TUESDAY EVERYONE!!!
              Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

YAY Honeysoup!

Roll with it. You never know what your body is going to do. But you should warn the DH to be ready for anything through Day 13. :-) I got world class crabby starting late on Day 5 and was a beeyatch on wheels...but that had more to do with lack of sleep building up I think.
                That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Desert, well done on soldiering thru!! I was thinking yesterday about this site. I had tried to stop drinking on my own before. I would try and cut down and tell myself I was doing better. But the thing that this site gave me was support all the way around, there are people ahead of me, beside me, and behind me. I know what to expect every step of the way. I wasn't able to trudge thru on my own, I always caved. There were consequences, but I wasn't really accountable to anyone (no one was keeping score, myself included). I am so thankful I came here, and recognized the destruction that I was doing to myself. It has been this site alone that did it for me, and the strength and guidance of the people who make it up. I also think it's important to stay connected with the group here...because it's vital that we keep in the forefront of our thick heads, what one drink can do. I'm sorry that we are all going thru this, but I'm grateful to have you all with me on this journey! It only gets better, I promise. Stay the course, as Greg will say! MindPeace everyone! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all!

Lav - Congrats on the new puppy, I hope Stella doesn't get jealous!

Honey - You're doing great, keep it up, it gets much easier. I believe you that quitting smoking would make me feel better...I've quit for 30 days then went right back to it. I caved when I had a relapse in drinking, they go hand in hand for me.

Welcome Beffy - We're glad you're here! Stick around so we can get to know you!

DesertLady - I'm like you, I don't eat much and when I do it's not very healthy. I've been having horrible stomach issues lately and now seem to have a bladder infection/UTI...so I'm exhausted and just don't feel well. I need to get focused on being healthier! I didn't go through all that work to get sober to still feel like crap! LOL

I hope everyone has a great day...will check back in later!

K9
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

OMG - I'm soooo tired!!

Woke up very early. Had 2 and a half hours sleep and prepared for the 2 tests I wrote today.... It went well. Very impressed with what my brain can do these days...

Just got off the phone with my mom. I am so glad that I don't sound like that anymore. You know when we were drinking and thought you still sounded ok?? Well, I think she thinks I can't tell...

Patrice - I thought about your post. It can't be easy to do all of it alone, but if it helps I want you to know that I dream of taking my kids to a foreign country and experience other ways of living. Not just for a holiday. 2-3 years is what I plan. Just don't know where. In a way you are living my dream. A hangover in that weather can't be fun. Hope you are doing great.

Desertlady - Namib! Another place I want to visit. Africa says hi!

My bed is calling!
                      12-20-2012 AF
                      Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well Day 1 over and sober. One day at a time. I'm getting a lot of inspiration from a lot of posts on here.
                        AF 20-05-2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

berner66;1294888 wrote: Well Day 1 over and sober. One day at a time. I'm getting a lot of inspiration from a lot of posts on here.
                          :goodjob: way to go Berner!!!
                          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters

Great to see some real success happening in the nest!

K9, we have to get you on a healthy eating plan gorl. What does your daughter eat? Do you girls eat dinner togther every night? You should sit down & plan out some healthy stuff for the both of you

I am completely whipped!
                            My 2 hr babysitting job turned into 8 hrs & I had to bring the grandsons back to my house so I could take care of the puppy. A 3 yr old, a 1 yr old & an 8 week old puppy = insanity :H :H
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

DesertLady;1293693 wrote: Good Morning
                              Feeling quite bummed this morning - it's Day 12 for me today, but I've woken up feeling almost exactly like I used when I was drinking - headachey, tired, irritable, down, no energy - WHY? It's not making me think "what's the use, I might as well be drinking" because I'm really proud of my progress, but I was expecting to be feeling so much better by now. Has this happened to other people? Do I need to be patient until I get past the magical Day 13/14? I've been taking the supplements (not all, still waiting on some), taking the AllOne, spending loads of time on here, giving my body all the sleep it needs, so what's missing?

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm just feeling BLEH and it doesn't seem fair!
                              Hi Desert...I am also experiencing the same, and I have last fall as well when I made it four months...The first 2-3 weeks are gonna be that way..lots of detox going on... I am on #16 today and just feel tired as you know what!! Hven't been sleeping worth a dang for the first couple weeks, then last few nights have slept like the dead! But still pretty wiped out.
                              I do know that lots of water and lots of exercise are good. I worked out 45 minutes this morning before work and was ready to crash about 3 PM.
                              it WILL pass, you'll see! I think I was over 30 days before my eyes started to brighten up good.
                              Be patient and hang in there...it's much easier to stay on the wagon (butt velcro always available!) then it is to try and climb back on!
                              You'll be glad you did.
                              -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just want to say HI! My honey and the boy are both home this week - so chances to post will be few and far between...but I'm thinking of you all and reading on my phone when I can - and not even a thought of drinking. :-) Be back soon!
                                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X