Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest.
    Tomorrow is humpday already

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, everyone! I haven't posted in days, but I am still AF. It's been quite a week. Saturday I went to a get-together with friends. I went feeling pretty confident and prepared, coconut water in hand. I wasn't really worried because the friends I was visiting aren't heavy drinkers. Boy, did I underestimate the event. It was rough. There were several couples there I didn't know and the people I did know were drunk. I was incredibly bored and uncomfortable. One of the hostesses pressured me about not drinking. I was taken aback... I just didn't expect it. I left early and awkwardly, but I didn't drink!

Sunday was spent with close friends and family. People drank beer, but I had a great time and didn't feel a need to kill someone. It was great to watch the kids enjoy the holiday festivities and laugh a lot without anyone caring whether or not I was drinking. I did think it was funny that after a few of us spent several hours preparing dinner, I was the only one still hungry. Everyone else was full of beer. More for me! :H

This afternoon I had really bad cravings. I'm starting to feel better now, but I had to break out a lot of tools to get through the last few hours. It's weird, but when I am getting through a really bad craving, I don't really want to talk to anyone. I feel distracted and impatient. I think it's better for me to do something alone and active, like exercise or cleaning.

I hear everyone about the importance of sleep. I have had no luck with Melatonin. I still woke up, and it made my dreams even crazier than they had been. Except when I did wake up, my body felt heavy while my brain was racing. I drink a lot of night time teas. The strongest is Valerian tea. Valerian tea and a skullcap capsule seems to be a combination that works really well for me. Valerian relaxes the mind and the skullcap relaxes the body.

I had horrible allergies yesterday and took a Benadryl before bed... I slept great but absolutely did not want to get up this morning.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful AF night!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Off to bed myself now - slept during the day, slept long last night, and still tired now. Thanks for the encouragement though, Cap'n G - my hubby also reckons I must still be detoxing. Started drinking more water today, hope that helps!

Congrats Berner! ODAAT! And well done, Pocket, on handling the social things. That's been on my mind a lot, and for now I think, if anyone asks, I'm just going to say I'm on a health-kick/detox. Not sure how I'd handle being pressured. Been in social situations twice now and each time just floated soberly under the radar - the most amazing thing to me is that I was happy to do so!

Hallos and well dones and keep strongs to everyone else out there too! Thanks for the words, Byrd - I think this forum rocks and I like the challenge of getting to know everyone and letting myself be known. Once I'm awake again, I'll take a stab at telling my story. For now, I'm back off to my bed and yet more sleep....
        If you always think what you've always thought,
        You'll always feel what you've always felt.
        If you always feel what you've always felt,
        You'll always do what you've always done.
        If you always do what you've always done,
        You'll always get what you've always got.

3 Days AF = DONE
        6 Days AF = DONE
        14 Days AF = DONE
        21 Days AF = DONE
        28 Days AF = DONE
        30 Days AF = DONE
        60 Days AF = hmm, much bigger gap to this goal, but let's see if ODAAT works for this one too....

Comment

Newbies Nest

PF and K9 thankyou for the welcome and support.

Today was the toughest so far and made me realize how far I have to go. I have been terribly cranky the last few days. Is this normal? Did anyone else feel this way? Or am I only noticing now because I am sober and not suffering from a hangover day after day? It is mainly the afternoon that I feel myself becoming irritable and cranky. Any advice?

Sweet dreams everyone

Beffy xo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Hope everyone held on tight overnight

The Nest does rock DesertLady, that's why I'm still hanging here after 3+ years
            Everyone here is an individual & will heal at their own rate. I think it's important that we stay focused & not compare ourselves with anyone else

Wishing everyone a great AF Humpday!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Beffy,

Forgot to welcome you yesterday!
              Glad you are here & congrats on your success! Crankiness is perfectly normal in the beginning. Just take extra good care of yourself, things will improve

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Berner and Beffe....sounds like a new TV show! Welcome to you both! Those first few days will give you a run for your money, alright. Surround yourself with things you love...if you have a hobby of any sort, jump back into it. I found that Charms Blow Pops helped me quite a bit. They are sugary sweet suckers with bubblegum in the middle...when I'd have a bad craving, I'd pop one of those in. You can't help but pay attention to them, they are SWEET and it gives your hands something to do, because you have to tend to it (it's a sucker, after all). They last about 15 minutes which is about the duration of a craving. After that you are home free! I used to travel with them...on airplanes if I got next to a cranky kid, I'd give one to them! Works like a 'Charm'!!!! Also, I craved carbs...like potato chips and bread. Indulge yourself in anything to get thru...except you know what!! Al is a crafty bastard...any day now, it will start telling you that it's ok. Keep your guard up! Don't give in no matter what and no matter who!! We are so glad you are here. Love to all, Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nestlings!

Just want to say greetings and shower you all with bright blessings! I am on Day 50 myself and am loving every magical moment of my new sober life.

Good to see everyone reaching their goals...my next one is 60 days. But 50 ain't bad either! Joy to everyone on this beautiful Wednesday. Not humpday for me, I'm off today and tomorrow...yipppeeee!!!
                  Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                  :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning everyone!

I see everyone seems to be haning in there and going strong.

Welcome newcomers...This is a great place to be when you are starting out..I love it here.

Day 5 for me and a little tired today, but feels much better than being hungover that's for sure!

I will check back later...Have a great day!!
                    Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations, Blondie! You are an inspiration to us all. You are always so positive and cheerful! Great job!
                      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

oops something is wrong with my signature. I do not have 30 days. this signature is left over from last try. Sorry, I will work on fixing it.
                        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone!

Lav - I agree, I need to get on some sort of heathly eating plan, I'm doing a bit better these last couple of days, at least eating yogurt for breakfast and a small sandwich for lunch. I USED to cook dinner every night, and my daughter and I would sit down to a nice balanced meal, salad, meat, potatoes...but somewhere along the line I got lazy. Time to snap out of it! Not only was the food healthy, but the conversation was always interesting! My nephew will join us too if I actually get some food on the table. The three of us went out to dinner last night and laughed the whole time, so meal time is MORE than just food How's your puppy doing? And what is the little guy's name? Oh...and how is Stella?

Star, Honey, Blonde, Byrdie, Beffy, Desert, Pocket and everyone else, I hope you all have a great day! I'm on day 107 today and feeling strong. No real thoughts of drinking to speak of, but they do come up unexpectedly so I'm on guard. Everyone stay strong and I'll check back in later!

K9
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9 --- thanks for the inspiration! 107 days looks daunting, but what a goal to set in my sights

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters! Hope everyone is having a great day!
                              Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi again!

K9, honestly, when my kids were growing up I INSISTED on eating dinner together every night I was home & not working. Then I told my husband he had to be there. It is important to gather everyone for half an hour to talk, share, etc. The food always was secondary but I did try to keep it healthy. My kids are pretty decent cooks themselves these days

Here's today's picture of Matilda - got her to look INTO the camera :H

AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X