Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Don't give in no matter what and no matter who. Nothing is more important than getting this dam beast out of our lives once and for all. It is the fight of our lives....we must win. Your clear head and conscience tomorrow will be the most wonderful reward. You will feel wonderful about what you did, instead of self loathing and dispair. You will still be down the rabbit hole tomoorw if you cave tonight. The only way out is to fight thru it until you reach the top. Please stay strong. It is worth it. Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pocket & PF - go to the Tool box right now you two :H
      Just keep looking until you find something that interests you. Just don't drink & disappoint yourselves. You'll be much ahppier in the am if you don't drink tonight - promise

Wishing everyone an extra safe night in the Nest!
      lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooting for you Pocket and PF - let us know how it went!! Had a bit of a tough evening myself - we went over to good friends for a relaxed time and a casual meal. And everyone else was drinking but me - difference is they were drinking socially, and I know that I would previously have spent the evening trying to pour strong enough drinks to make it look as though I wasn't drinking too much, and then would have been agonising about how I could keep drinking when they had all stopped. Was offered drinks a number of times, but thankfully had brought along a variety of nice alternate choices - and even ended the evening with a cup of tea (Gasp, I know!) - and no-one asked why I wasn't drinking, which was a relief. Have just got home and this is when hubby and I would usually have a couple more drinks to round the evening off - soooooo very much a habit, that it feels weird sipping a tonic water instead. And I have to admit that I really am thinking "why can't I be like them", "why can't I happily have a drink or two, take it or leave it, and not be consumed by thoughts of MORE, MORE, MORE" Because I knew with absolute certainty that it would not be possible for me to have "just one".
        What I did realise though, is that even stone cold sober, I had a really good evening and was still myself and not any less sociable or uncomfortable. I know that I can drink vast amounts and not appear drunk at all, so it was nice to realise that I could be myself sober too - that I'm not two different people. And not worrying about how to get the next drink in was quite relaxing, in its own way.....I sure hope it gets easier though, because it does feel scary - one little slip is so much bigger than just one little slip.....
        If you always think what you've always thought,
        You'll always feel what you've always felt.
        If you always feel what you've always felt,
        You'll always do what you've always done.
        If you always do what you've always done,
        You'll always get what you've always got.

3 Days AF = DONE
        6 Days AF = DONE
        14 Days AF = DONE
        21 Days AF = DONE
        28 Days AF = DONE
        30 Days AF = DONE
        60 Days AF = hmm, much bigger gap to this goal, but let's see if ODAAT works for this one too....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all, sounds like we were all tested. Hope weekends get better! Day 5. Let's hope I'm not so grumpy today (don't feel grumpy at mo though - in fact feel great px
          Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Good job on your evening out DesertLady! We can still be sociable & have fun without AL on board. We also wake up happy & unhung & that's a big deal

patricia, developing an attitude of gratitude to replace the grumpiness really helped me
            Make a list of things that have already improved in your life & keep adding to that list. Makes me feel calm & peaceful.

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Sunday!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Beautiful Unhung Sunday!
              I woke up with a start, but then realized I didn't drink and I am not hungover. What a great feeling.
              Day 2 for me. Going to church and then of course Yardwork. I'd much rather be outside than inside on this gorgeous day.
              Day 1 again 11/5/19
              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning! Great job, DesertLady! And patrica, I'm glad you're feeling great right now, and good job getting through the last couple of days and nights! I've been grumpy, too. I'm really trying to stay in a positive head-space. I hope your day goes smoothly!

Have a great day 2, Nursie! I'm jealous of your beautiful day outside, but I reckon we need the rain here pretty bad.

Morning Lav! I try to keep a running AF gratitude list in my head. This morning, I am grateful that:
                * The G/S/R brothers are not dominating the chatter in my head
                * my brain is starting to function better
                * I don't have any hangovers
                * I don't have to fear wd
                * I remember everything that happened for over a week
                * I feel prepared for my day and the week ahead
                * I don't have to dread gathering empties from hidden spots all over the house when I clean
                * I haven't called anyone and said something embarrassing in quite a while
                * I am there for my daughter 100%
                * I know I don't stink like booze
                * I didn't waste money on liquor
                * I didn't have to 'fess up to anyone here or in my life that I messed up again

So, yeah! Made it through the night! I ate way too much ice cream and I don't care. Right now, if the worst I do is eat ice cream on a Saturday night, I'm good. I'll check back in later to see how everyone is doing, but I think I need coffee before I try to communicate much more. Funny, I always take my desire to drink coffee as a good, AF thing. When I drink, the last thing I want is coffee in the morning--makes me too nervous. But no shaky jumpiness for me today on day 12!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pocket, I went a little crazy on sweets at the store... It's quite comforting right now!
                  Day 1 again 11/5/19
                  Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                  Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                  Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                  11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                  12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pocket, that's a nice gratitude list you have there - reads a lot like mine
                    I have never regretted my decision for even a moment!

Nursie, stat on plan & good luck to you.

Just waiting for my son & his family for dinner. Another day to be grateful, for sure!
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, This is my day 2 too, Nursie. I have read several pages here and it sounds like an encouraging place to post! I'm also eating ice cream right now! I feel pretty happy and proud of myself but I know I have so far to go yet to get past this monster.
                      Congrats to all of you for doing so well.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pocket - that's a great list, Patricia and Nursie keep going, you are doing great. Golf diva welcome!
                        Hi to everyone else.
                        Day 52 today and I'm feeling ok, it is definitely easier than the early weeks so those of you just starting out, keep going, it is worth it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everybody, think I'll start that list! Px
                          Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hate to say this is my day 2 now too! I went 3 months and then decided I deserved a drink only to have that drink go on for a whole day! Why don't I listen to myself and remember how I felt the last time!does anyone reccomend Antabuse? I think k9 uses it?
                            45 days AF 24/11/11 - Jan 2012.
                            New day 1- 9 January !
                            Back again 27 May 2012 - day 1

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Kind of quiet here today ~ hope everyone was busy having a good day!

Hello & welcome golfdiva! Glad yuo found us, please settle in & make yuorself comfy

Hi Sausage & patricia! Are you talking about a gratitude list patricia? It's a great idea, helps reinforce positive thinking too

Australia, glad you hopped back in the nest. Listening to the stinking thinking always leads to trouble. After 3 months AF we are dealing with thoughts, not cravings. We don't have to listen to those thoughts or respond to them. Changing my thinking about AL by using the MWO Hypno CDs really helped me. Please give them a try this time

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone
                                Its my second day without alcohol, stilll feeling awful, from what i been reading the fog will lift soon
                                Cravings, Cravings, Cravings, wish they would just stop.
                                I just keep reading, I am glad that I can relate to sooo much of what has been written on this site.

Comment

Working...
                                X