Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good for you K9
    You will find those thoughts coming less frequently, honestly!
    Just last week I went out to lunch with my daughter. It was one of those chain restaurants where they make you walk thru the bar area to get to your table. I suddendly noticed how busy the bar area was at lunchtime on a Thursday afteroon & thought - eeewww, none for me, thank you

Glad to see so many nesters finding success. This journey may not always be easy but the results are priceless!
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pocket, I'm sorry you are feeling down.
      Perhaps there is someplace else for you to go for support! I went to one AA meeting a hundred years ago as part of a class requirement in college. All I could think of was no......I don't like this & I was only there as an observer. Have to looked to see if there is a Women for Sobriety group near you? I would have had to travel clear across the state so it wasn't an option for me. But I've heard some MWO folks talk about liking it very much. Just a thought...
      Women for Sobriety, Inc.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Lav, thanks! I just read a bunch on the website and it looks great. I couldn't find a list of local meetings, though. I googled it and came up with nothing. Grr. I'm going to keep reading... maybe after a year of sobriety I will just become a moderator myself, so other women will have an alternative!

So far, and man have I looked, I haven't found any program other than AA in my area. I do live in the Bible Belt and I think that AA tends to appeal to many folks with Christian beliefs, so maybe there's not much of a market for an alternative...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Guys,

I haven't posted here in a while but still here and still sober and have to say what you wrote today Byrdie is exactly what I needed when I needed it. Thank you, you always make so much sense.
          2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

That website is pretty good Pocket, glad you liked it

Hi allswell, congrats on you continued success! The sober life really rocks!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. I have to be up & out early for a day of babysitting two little boys - fun, fun
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hope everyone had a good day.
              Fleeting thoughts of Al today that I have to get used to again. Need to form the habit that I don't drink.

I had a busy day today at work but thought about my plan all day.
              So far...
              I will read and post every day on MWO
              I will meditate and listen to hypno CDs
              I will exercise and run when I feel stressed out.
              Drinking is off the table, no matter what.
              I will take my supplements and vitamins daily.
              I will go to church and pray
              I will distance myself from people and situations that put my sobriety in danger. That means family. That means staying out of my brother's alcoholism and my mothers. It triggers in such a complex way I can't describe it.
              Nobody is bringing alcohol in my house. If that means I don't see my brother, that is what it is. Sadly.
              I will not take in other peoples problems while I am trying to heal. I need to build up my reserve. I can't be the family go to person.
              I am looking at taking a different position or a new job. Even sober, the pressure I am under is insurmountable. It's not healthy.
              I am considering going back to my addiction counselor and possibly starting antabuse.
              I have my "no, hell no" ready.

What else?
              Day 1 again 11/5/19
              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hallo Everyone! Glad we all made it through the weekend. I think - maybe - finally - I am be getting to the other side of the overwhelming tiredness. Today - Day 20 for me - was the first time I woke up and didn't feel exhausted. I still gave myself a very easy day, but it felt like a gift to myself, not a necessity. My mind is so much clearer, and although I felt REALLY depressed yesterday, I feel slightly hopeful today. Tomorrow will be a whole 3 weeks - WOW!

Nursie - I like your plan. Setting boundaries is all about caring for yourself, and I don't think you should feel guilty about that. Getting sober and healthy puts you in so much of a better situation to deal with future issues, and protecting yourself right now is a good way to get there. Also, I have gained SO much from seeing a life coach and learning how to deal with my stuff, that I reckon going back to a counselor could be a good thing. Let us know how it all goes?

Pocket - I really feel for you. I am relying so much on this website right now, and have only told my lifecoach and a yoga therapist I just started seeing today what I'm going through. I cannot even imagine sharing with anyone else I know. I hope you find somewhere open and non-judgmental to go to get some support. Just don't let going to AA become a "F@#%-You" trigger and end up drinking just to be rebellious....

Time for bed - I'm tired now, but that's okay. Hope everyone is doing well and staying strong!
                If you always think what you've always thought,
                You'll always feel what you've always felt.
                If you always feel what you've always felt,
                You'll always do what you've always done.
                If you always do what you've always done,
                You'll always get what you've always got.

3 Days AF = DONE
                6 Days AF = DONE
                14 Days AF = DONE
                21 Days AF = DONE
                28 Days AF = DONE
                30 Days AF = DONE
                60 Days AF = hmm, much bigger gap to this goal, but let's see if ODAAT works for this one too....

Comment

Newbies Nest

morning all how is everyone? I enjoyed getting up this morning feeling sober and great!!
                  Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Tuesday morning everyone!

Nursie, glad to see you have made a good plan for yourself. Identrtifying your triggers is big!
                    Wishing you the best

DesertLady, congrats to you for your 3 AF weeks! Makes such a huge differene, doesn't it??
                    Yuo will continue to heal & feel great!

Mauri, sober mornings rock!

Wishing everyone a great AF Tusday, will be back later!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

deal, Byrdie...:l

Hey patricia! Isn't it true? We are all so very different yet all so very alike. and oh - how it helps to know that someone else is struggling with AND BEATING the same temptations that we are being faced with...I've said a million times here (sorry) that half the time I don't even know I have an issue to work out in my own mind - until I start writing something down here. Sometimes, it's a post about a struggle of my own, but lots of times, it's a post to try to help someone else....but either way, I somehow always end up learning something about myself. Something that helps with my goal to stay AF.

Being able to identify with others here is such an important part of this 'getting sober' business!
                      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all, little late in posting today. Been a bit of a morning with one thing and another but now on Day 7. Lolab, you are so right different but so very alike - this struck home last night - was browsing site just before putting light out and saw that some of the issues that I thought were particular to me had been raised i.e. stiff fingers in the morning, digestive problems when drinking, not losing weight initially. Whilst I would not wish any of these things on others, I gained some kind of solace that I wasn't any different because some other people still had these issues. Not sure what my long term goal is but today I am happy and content with myself and am slowing gaining back some self-respect. To reach day 6 hasn't been particularly easy nor particularly hard but it has most certainly been different and to a creature of habit like myself, I think the different world order I have been living in these last six days (seven today) has been strange. As I said I didn't do too badly in January - 9 days straight off and then a total of 16 for the month, February was good, March was awful and April has been superb but strangely harder than the start I did myself in January. I don't think I'd have got this far this month if it hadn't been for all the help and support on this site. Today I am very grateful and know that I will not drink today. Thank you to everybody and I hope you all have a successful, happy and peaceful day - I look forward to reading your posts. Px
                        Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Patricia 7 days is awesome, I hope to post that I am on that day very soon!! I really don't find it that hard for the first 4 but to get beyond that and manage an AF weekend would really be a major achievement for me!

Just been to do the weekly shop and had to go to two supermarkets, didn't even so much as glance down the AL aisle and happily chose some lovely flavoured fizzy waters, will be sipping those tonight whilst watching a bit of rubbish on tv LOL, right off to pick up DS from pre-school will check in later...
                          Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Mauri, good to see you back in the saddle! Glad to hear that you made it thru the grocery aisle...the pull down the wine lane is a strong one...I still get a sick feeling in my stomach when I think of the times I'd go over there and buy 6 1 liter boxes and worry that neighbors would see me, and worse, how long it would last! There at the end I was really going thru it and the empties became as problematic as the supply! You are right, it is a vicious circle. You sound sick of it...Lola calls it the Hampter wheel...and I got sick to death of being on it and being lead thru life waiting for the next drink. As you know, you've got to get control of your mind. As I've read your story, your trouble spots are the weekend. Now is the time to get yourself together and set yourself up to succeed. Simply hoping you can do it hasn't worked in the past, am I true? HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY!! Arm yourself with things you like to eat. I found solice in suckers...they last about 15 minutes and by that time, my mind usually had wandered off to something else. Grab the ingredients to do some baking and plan on doing that Friday night. Then on Saturday, you can package some of it up and take it to a neighbor. You can't imagine the delight you will get from it. It gives you a task and gets your mind off youself. Be mindful of the pity party you will want to throw for yourself. On Friday, AL is going to throw everything it can to get you to cave. In these cases, you must not listen to the voices of false promises. Try and get control. You can NOT drink like a normal person, and ONE drink is NOT going to do you any good. The only thing that will get you on the right path is cutting off the Beast's HEAD and that means don't feed it. ONE feeding is all it takes. This thing is killing you...slowly...but surely, you must get a grip and get over this rough spot. Now is the time, this weekend is YOUR time to succeed and take your life back. Mind Chatter is going to be the enemy this Friday but be armed for it. Make your goal: I will not drink alcohol no matter what and no matter who! When it tells you you can cave in and that it doesn't matter, say NO, HELL NO! I will NOT give in to you, you ASSHOLE! Dig your heels in and don't give way. You can do this, and now is the time....by Friday you will have what, 5 AF days going...protect those days with all you've got, because they ARE all you've got. You MUST keep them going. Check in often and let us know...someone is always here to help, you know that. This is YOUR time, Mauri! XXOO, Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all!

Wow Byrdie, you got me all pumped up. Thank you for that post. I had the mind chatter myself this weekend and I wondered what I would have done if not for Antabuse (?). I like to think I would have pulled through it, but I guess I'm not ready to find out (still).

I was in line at the grocery store last night and the guy in front of me was buying a bottle of Rum (the BIG one) and 2 liters of coke...I actually felt GRATEFUL that it wasn't me...because I know where that leads for me, and it ain't a pretty place! Alcohol is UGLY!

Mauri - I'm so glad you're back with us. Listen to Byrdie's great advice, get through the weekend and get some solid time. It DOES get easier.

Hi too all the newbie and oldbies I hope everyone has a great, sober day!

K9
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I used to hate that you couldn't buy liquor or wine at the grocery store here...(only beer)....now I feel so lucky!
                                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X