Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

The weekend is almost over. I never thought I would be happy to ever say that, but when your trying so hard to be alcohol free on a Saturday Night, its hard. I am making it through so far even thhough there has been alot of triggers. I actually avoided people who I knew who drinking. Its very hard to tell people in a way that you dont want them asking questions that your done with drinking. Atleast for me it is, since I never really had made really close friendships except for a few. Better being a loner than drinking and waking up with a hangover. I hope everyone is having a great weekend and thanks all for your support.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Guy from NC!

Library Girl, muscle pull, OUCH! You doing ok now?

Life Change, did you make it through? How was it?

I'm in a packing, finishing work flurry. Leave for Thailand tomorrow am. Apparently it's 35 degrees there at six am. Whoah.

L x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Nice to see you GUY, glad you are doing so well

LG, can't believe how hot it is down there - geez!
        I had a zip up sweatshrt on all day while wrking around outside. Hope your flea market day was good. What do yuo sell, if I may ask?

lifechange, hope you were able to hang in - sounds like you were having a bit of a time.
        Honestly, taking the importance off of AL & drnking really helped reduce the cravings & thoughts for me. Start thinking about drinking as something you 'used to do' but not anymore

KittyKat, you'll be very happy tomorrow morning & proud of yourself as well - that's big!!!

Lilly, wishing you safe travels! Enjoy your trip, keep us in your heart & your plan in your fist.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning fellolw nesters.
          just a second to write and then i'm off on a long bike tour with the kids. thanking all the gods that i didn't do anything stupid last night. Lav that's really good advice. to think of drinking as something i used to do, something that i don't do anymore . i was also thinking of doing the aa steps. but on my own. do you think that makes any sense? does anyone have experience with that?

Lilli, wishing you a safe flight and a wonderful vacation. can't remember how long you'll be away?? keep us posted on how you are and what you are eating. i'm envious!!
          hi to LG, finally and guy.
          see you all later.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

Off and away in the am. So excited! I'm pretty sure not drinking is not going to be tooo hard. Especially as my flatmate the first two weeks is not a drinker, kind of anti drinking (his brother is an alcoholic) annnddd he knows I am struggling with it so is in FULL support of my quitting.

The bit I'm most unsure/unconfident about is the first weekend I'm there where we are all going away - with about 20 people - to this super luxury resort. It's a big birthday/farewell party for this girl and since she works in tourism she got a real deal on renting out the WHOLE resort for this party. Looks amazing. But of course there has been loads of Facebook chatter about all the booze everyone is bringing and you can tell it will be *that* kind of weekend. Still, I will try and stick to mocktails and enjoy the pool etc. I guess i don't 100% feel confident in myself in light of all that temptation though I gotta be honest.

Felt shit for a day though after just the two glasses of wine, which was kind of a learning experience... and have not at all felt like any since even when got offered (free) champagne at this (free) high tea today. DId I mention my job involves a lot of free wining/dining. In fact, tonight before I go I have to write an article about wine and cheese flavour matches. I'm not joking. Needless to say sometimes this is NOT helpful.

Sausage, I think I forgot to say I totally agree with what you said about my date. I didn't really realise it til a bit of retrospect but it was really rude and disrespectful and that is the hugest red flag. Even at my heaviest drinking I would NEVER have done that. In fact I'd had internet dates with people who said they weren't drinking. On those occasions I had one or two glasses max off the menu and did not hassle them about drinking. Hello? Won't be seeing him again.

LifeChange - I'm proud of you for pulling through that craving and tackling it with healthy things like going for a run and eating well. You are doing great! How many days now? Two weeks or more, right?

I'm gone all of May I will torture you with stories of amazing food if you insist

L x

Comment

Newbies Nest

hi everyone; been absent for a while; felt I needed to do some deep reflection and concentrate on Sober!!!!!
              I am very happy to report I have 3 weeks AF today!!!!! So pleased as I haven't been this far AF since June last year. I have been reading MWO every single day so even though you didn't know it, your stories have been a huge help. And one very dear friend here kept me going with unrelenting support the whole way through.....
              Every time I go AF I feel I have to try something different or add another piece of armour so feel today I am ready to come back on board and clock up those great days of AFness!!!!
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Library girl, I'm not trying to panic you, but I had a heart attack 2 years ago, that I thought was a pulled muscle. The other symptoms where a squeezing sensation in my throat, a sore lower jaw, and a really dead left arm, and chronic shortness of breath...I lasted 2 days before i went to the hospital . A lot of us youngish women dont realise we are having a heart attack...

If you feel better, its probably nothing

LibraryGirl;1307112 wrote: Hey Guy. Glad you are here too.

Morning Nesties. Been up and about drinking a bit of coffee now. Had a pulled muscle in my chest this morning that scared me at first, but I am pretty sure it's either from the way I slept or from working yesterday. Feel better now and getting ready to go back to the flea market. I hope we have a good (lucrative) day. Weather's supposed to be sunny and hot. 90 F.

LG

Comment

Newbies Nest

Daya;1307540 wrote: Hey Library girl, I'm not trying to panic you, but I had a heart attack 2 years ago, that I thought was a pulled muscle. The other symptoms where a squeezing sensation in my throat, a sore lower jaw, and a really dead left arm, and chronic shortness of breath...I lasted 2 days before i went to the hospital . A lot of us youngish women dont realise we are having a heart attack...

If you feel better, its probably nothing
                  Hi Daisy and welcome (back) to the Nest,

I think almost all of us here can relate to the stopping and starting. I can also relate to lurking here for a long time and other people's stories really helping me before I started posting.

I keep thinking about the 11 months I spent "trying to" quit smoking - never going more than 3 weeks max - before something clicked and I haven't had a puff in over a year. What I'm trying to say is just because we've failed before does not mean this won't be the quit that clicks and sticks. There are some wonderful long-term alcohol free people here (hello Lavande!) who are kind enough to stick around posting in the nest to inspire those of us at an earlier point. There's lots of great support here.

I had a quick look at some of your posts and you said in one place that your 3 AF months were the best ever. Why? Tell us what was so great about it. I find focusing on those positives helps and I LOVE hearing stories from those with more time under their belt (K9, Byrdie about what they love about being sober.

Go well friend and post often.

Lilly x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Monday morning on this final day of April!

This month sure has gone by quickly for me
                    Staying happy, busy & AF makes life so much more enjoyable......I hope eveyone gives themselves a real chance to find out!!!!

Daisy, glad to see you & congrats on your 3 AF weeks!

lifechange, I say if doing the 12 steps helps you stay focused & on plan, then go for it!!!!

Lilly, I didn't realize you were going to be away for so long. Wishing you the best!

Daya, wow! Glad you are OK. Most women don't know the heart attack symptoms we experience are different from those of men.

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Monday!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

LifeChange! I am so happy for you that you chose to muscle thru that craving. Isn't it amazing how much stronger you feel!? It's a sense of power...and it feels really good! Waking up with the G/S/R Brothers sucks (Guilt/Shame/Remorse) and I did that plenty of times. This war is waged one battle at the time (battle, not bottle) and each one gives us a little more ammunition for the next attack. Before you know it...you've seen them coming, armed yourself...and they left! It gets EASIER, thank God!
                      Daisy!!!! Welcome back to the nest! Strap on your butt velcro and off we go! I'm so glad you are back...I hope Gregorino will stop by and see your smiling face! 3 weeks is huge! One more week and you'll get a hat!!! So stick with us, you wouldn't want to miss out on that! So proud of you for digging in your heels and getting AL out! There is NO GOOD in AL, none!!! I checked. And rechecked, trust me, it's a dead end!!
                      So happy for everyone's success!! Stay focused on the positives! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesties!

Wow I miss a lot when I take the weekend "off". I've been promising to do better and post over the weekend, but I have yet to do it. I had a very relaxing weekend, saw my daughter in a dance show Friday night, and then spent the rest of the weekend just hanging out, doing nothing. Now I feel so lazy...it was hard getting going this morning. LOL

Lilly - I hope I catch you before you leave for your trip! Sorry your date was a disappointment. I would have been thoroughly offended at him bringing wine AFTER you had that conversation about not drinking. I would have written him off right than as an Asshole. Sorry, but he disrepected you on your first date...what a douche. I can see WHY he hasn't had a long-term relationship at age 43. Maybe I am over-judgemental, but that's just the way I see it. I'm glad you're not giving him any more time! You can do WAY better girlfriend!

I can't believe it is the last day of April already! Time is flying by. I hope everyone is doing well. I will have to read back and catch up on everything I missed over the weekend. Will be back later

K9
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!! Weekend went very good! Outside the normal night cravings I felt good. My first two finals at school went very well. Amazing what we can do sober isn't it. LOL! Hope everyone is doing well today. I have two more finals on Tuesdays so it's time to the books and not the bottle. Boy does it sound good saying that.
                          Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Newbies Nest

i'm finding that i really do have a witching hour. i always thought the whole day was difficult, but after having a few more sober days, i realize it's really only difficult from about 5 until 8pm. and during that time i'm using my TOOLS! i made a huge list of why i love being sober today.
                            one reason was today. i went by train and bike with 3 10 yr old girls and a 7 yr old girl. we had to ride through the forest to get there and there were little white butterflies everywhere. we had a picnic and the girls spent hours on rafts in the middle of the freezing cold lake. it was the best fancy free day and i def.would not have enjoyed it with a hangover and neither would have they.
                            wishing you all a wonderful evening!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

did i mention it was a nude beach? i'd forgotten myself that usually everyone there is as naked as naked can be--that's always an interesting experience! footloose and fancy free!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters
                                A quick :waving:hello from me.
                                Not had a lot of time to read today, but I'm doing ok here on day 67!
                                Back tomorrow, see you all later

Comment

Working...
                                X