Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I am here. Did not drink last night. Yeah. My big motivator is turning 50 and finding out i am going to be a grandma. Granny is an old drunk. Yeah. Just great. I can do it. Thank u all for being here. I need it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

ooooh congratulations yogamom!!! How exciting!

Yep, at some point the wild fun party girl image gets a little old....not so cute anymore. And I'm not so sure it actually has to do with age or grandmotherly status...LOL. I don't know really when I crossed it but for me, it has to do with the line that i crossed when I was even aware that drinking no longer brought out my "fun" side - (whether it EVER did is debatable I guess)

It caused me to be unable to really talk to people...my whole day - hell, my whole LIFE was planned around drinking...and was turning me into a lazy uncaring messy bitchy person.
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

I couldn't agree more Lolab, drinking stopped being "fun" for me years ago! I became a bitchy, blubbering blob (B3). Any "fun" I thought I was having only lasted the first couple of beers, and that wasn't really fun, it was a false sense of relaxation. And by beer 12, the "fun" really went down the drain (or toilet) as the vomiting, spinning, dizziness, headache all set in. Then the sleeplessness and waking up at 3am in a state of panic. Yeah, looking back, that was pretty fun. NOT!
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey, slipping quietly back into the nest...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Had a busy day as usual & heartburn free, of course

Yoga mom, congrats on your upcoming granny hood!
            That is precisely what pushed me to finally quit too. You will have no regrets, I promise you!
            My three year old grandson is the light of my life. I also have two one year old grand kids too. Last year was very busy for my family Hang in with us!

K9, I could never be in customer service. I would be telling them all off :H

Greetings Lola, Byrdie & everyone.
            DesertLady, I know what you mean about feeling like a fraud BUT I prefer to think of us as 'Works in Progress'. It takes time to become comfortable in your 'new skin', but you will!!

Wishing everyone a safe night I n the nest!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Lovely Nesties! It's amazing how fluffy and cozy it is in here! I wonder when I'm not considered a Newbie anymore? I hope I don't have to get pushed out of the nest.

Beautiful Wed. night, and looking forward to getting through another week. I have graduation on Sat. so I have to march with the faculty, and it will be the first time I could be bothered to do it since I became a faculty member. Don't ask me how long it's been, lol. My boss gave me a not so gentle hint that it was TIME. Got my robe hanging in the bathroom in the futile attempt to de-wrinkle (pure polyester). I draw the line at dry cleaning it for a one-day event, at which I'm not the main event, LOL.

Hope everyone is doing well. I enjoy reading through everyone's post, so don't think I haven't. You can quiz me later. I'll pass with flying colors!

LG

"I like people too much or not at all."
              Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all. Still here. Reading lots on this site. Had a glass of wine last night. Not sure why. Habit? But just one ... A normal size... Lol. Dh is away and i am always a bit nervous here. But i feel great this am. Also, my son called to talk late last night around midnight and i was able to answer the phone with confidence and chat. Good feeling. Wow. Thank u all for being here. Oh..yoga mom is who i want to be. I started taking a yoga class to help with some aches and pains. Yes, yoga granny. Healthy granny. Good day all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Every1. Hi Yoga, still here too I got through Wednesday going to a meeting and treated myself and my lucky chocolate lab "Cooper" to some yummy DQ. Wow, it's sad that he waits to see if I'm drinking before he gets happy and wants to play. Imagine what my children thought. Day 2 done, Day 3...ready
                  :hDOING THIS FOR ME FOR TODAY!:h

WORD FOR THE DAY: HUMBLE

DAY - 1 Done
                  DAY - 2 Processing
                  DAY - 3
                  DAY - 4
                  DAY - 5
                  DAY - 6
                  DAY - 7
                  DAY - 8
                  DAY - 9
                  DAY -10

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Yogamom, have you read the MWO book yet?
                    Download it from the Health store here if you haven't already. It's a good idea to get some good AF time under your belt before considering trying to moderate. Make a plan to go for 30 days then seehow you feel. btw - having wine in the house wouldn't have worked for me

Pocket, we cross posted last night. Not sure what happened to you but glad to see you back.

LG, graduations are so boring, aren't they? :H

I'm watching my 1 & 3 yr old grandsons today. They've been here since 7 am - Oy!
                    Wishing everyone a terrific AF Thursday!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone - and happy Thursday.

Sausage - I just have to say your day 8 theory is very true. I didn't drink on this day last week and I'm not going to drink today - a milestone!
                      Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Newbies Nest

hello everyone--
                        just checking in to say hi!!
                        have a busy day off--which i can only be grateful for. def. wouldn't be able to do anything if i were hungover. i am tired a lot-- have been going to bed at 9, sleeping until 6 and having a nap midday--but i still feel like i have so many more hours in the day. i'm getting ready to meet my spanish "tandem" partner-- we speak spanish (which i'm trying to learn) for 30 min. and then german (which she's trying to improve for 30). this is our first meeting 'cause i've cancelled the last 3 or 4, partly due to nervousness and partly due to being hungover. today it's nervousness but i feel like i'm going to hurl.
                        will catch up on all the great posts this evening.
                        hugs all around.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesties

Its Thursday, a whole day off to myself, not good. I will have to keep busy. I still have those cravings espcially on off days. Just have to say the thought about a hangover may prevent this. I would have been already drinking by now at 8 50 am in the morning. Feels good to be sober. Probably finish the whole gallon of rum too, just typing that makes me feel sick.

Comment

Newbies Nest

you're doing great lifechange...I have a feeling you'll be so relieved when this meeting is over - you'll wonder what the big deal was. And you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment...making it through after having to put it off so many times. :-)

aguy, I understand you so well...days to myself were always filled with drinking...and like you it started early....actually continued from day to day with middle of the night sips when waking up. :-( I haven't had to live like that for 7 months now and it seems like a lifetime ago. The entire world is a different place for me now, and I'm still discovering. :-) Stick close to the nest today.:l
                            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning everyone and happy Thursday.

Sausage - you are so right about the 'day 8 syndrome' - it does feel like I've reached a milestone - I didn't drink last Thursday and I won't be drinking today either!

K9 - what is it about alcohol that can turn us from lovely fluffy bunnies into rampaging swamp monsters with mouths out of the sewer?!! I say things when I've had a drink that I can't even contemplate thinking when I'm sober - I am sooo done with that!

Desert Lady I can completely get where you're coming from about feeling a fraud when out with friends. I had that on Tuesday when I went out for a meal with 3 girl friends. It was weird as usually when we go out, I always scrounge a lift so I can get rat arsed - but this time I offered to drive. There were surprised looks all round - but no-one commented on my not drinking.

Has anyone else noticed, now you are sober, how little 'normal' people drink generally? At this meal there were three drinking wine. They ordered one bottle of red and had one large glass each and it lasted them all night - from 7.30pm til 10.30pm! Normally I wouldn't have noticed because I would be onto my second bottle by that time, but I watched in awe as they slowly sipped their way through the evening - and one even left a bit in the bottom of her glass! It was like watching aliens!!

We alcoholics are actually like aliens - a different breed apart. People who aren't aliens like us simply can't understand our culture. Someone on another forum who is a recovering alcoholic said to me that while family and friends can be loving and supportive, they are simply not able to help us like other people who have had an alcohol problem because they speak a totally different language.

I experienced this last night - having reached rock bottom with my husband over my drinking and me finally giving up wine, when we went out for a meal last night and I drank soda all night, after the meal he asked me if I would like an Irish Coffee (one of my favourites - with a big dash of whiskey in it!) I looked at him in amazement and said - you know I'm not drinking anymore. He answered that he didn't think it would matter as it was in a coffee and not like drinking wine!! What planet must he be on?

It reminds me of when I was in my 20s and a staunch vegetarian. I caught my Italian mother-in-law fishing a huge piece of rump steak out of the tomato pasta sauce she had made for me. When I asked in horror what she was doing, she said that it gave the sauce a lovely flavour, but as I was a vegetarian she was taking the meat out of the sauce before serving!! :nutso:

Oh well - to all my fellow aliens - have faith and strenght in another AF day.

All the best

Snap x
                              Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Newbies Nest

i so appreciate your supportiveness, Lola, as i know so many others do as well.
                                thank you for being here.!!
                                someone asked in one of the posts (was it you?) at what time is one no longer a newbie and is it possible to stick around anyway?? i just want to say how much we "newbies" get from you all that have been around longer. it's essential for us to have that support.-- no pressure, of course!!!
                                anyway i'm thankful for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X