Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thanks Ishybit...it's nice to hear that someone else has gone through the night sweats too. I am on day 2 AF and I am hoping that this won't last too long!
    Hi Lola! I have done the same exact thing with vodka. I keep telling myself that I just want to keep a bottle on hand as a safety net and that I won't drink any OR if I do I will just have a few. The other night I woke up at 2 in the morning on the couch, my mouth was so dry I could spit dust and I just thought to myself "oh crap....not again". I woke up in the morning and felt sick and totally disgusted with myself. So I am on day 2 AF and this time around I am taking L-Glut, Milk Thistle and Kudzu. Everyone has raved about the L-Glut stoping the cravings so I am trying to keep a positive attitude!
    Hi AkaMonique! When you find out how to add quotes and AF days/goals let me know. For the avatar I clicked on User CP and there you will find the option for the avatar.
    AB Club Member
    AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

AkaMonique....I figured out how to add quotes etc to your posts. Ahhh....the things you can figure out sober..ha! Go to User CP (just like I had mentioned for the avatar) and there you will click on "edit signaure" and a box will come up where you can type in whatever you want! Hope this helps!
      AB Club Member
      AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have the same anger with myself as you Ishybit... I started drinking wine at 4 pm yesterday and kept on pouring...My hubby even poured one of my glasses in attempts to get me to stop. What the heck! I guess I have to look at today as a new day and try and accumulate some AF May days!!! I think I can I think I can...Wouldn't you think feeling like crap would make a person stop!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters! Hope everyone had a safe and sober weekend! For all of those new a big huge welcome from me! We can do this everyoone!
          Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

So sorry I've been AWOL. Took awhile to get the interwebs up and running here and then I've been busy and away. Thailand is amazing, if hot hot hot!

I didn't drink the first few days I was here but made a decision to drink on this weekend away just passed. I won't go into my justifications but I guess it felt too hard not to - it was all pretty booze focused. Man, these people drink a LOT! Wasn't that great for me as in a way I felt like I'm not nearly as bad as some of them!! But then again, I didn't know most of them well so I don't know if that's typical ex pat life here or just a crazy weekend away.

Anyway, I'm resetting my clock and starting again tomorrow.

So much to catch up on and would love to reply to a lot more individually but I'm exhausted after a day of traveling and sunburn. Hello to all the new people and I look forward to getting to "know" you all better. Stick around.

Snapdragon - the bit about another language and aliens. It made me laugh and made me think of recently when I was trying to discuss my trying to quit drinking with a normally empathetic and understanding friend. She said "Well, maybe you just need to quit drinking wine and just drink spirits, because beer makes me feel X and wine makes me feel Y but spirits just make me all happy."

Right. So I have a drinking problem - clearly the answer is just to get on the vodka! You have to just laugh sometimes and let it roll off you.

Bed time for me. Well done to all those with new successes to share. Hope I'll have more of my own to share again soon.

Lilly

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone thank you for the lovely welcomes to us newbies,
              Yes Sausage, found the toolbox etc very helpful and a great place to start and will definately look at the youtube vid once the kids are tucked up and I have a bit of privacy.

I keep trying to think up a plan for quiting the booze but it keeps changing, shall I taper, stop cold turkey - i am very scared of suffering terrible wd symptoms it all comes back to my anxiety and death fears which have a huge hold on me and stop me being rational that mixed with booze, guilt and round and round it all goes and I end up stuck where I am, it is so annoying, pissing my life away. I hate the taste now but its all i think of I even dream about it, it is the first thing i think of when I wake up, most people have a coffee in the morning I have a whiskey - it's not normal...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everybody, few new people since I last logged on. Still stop start for me - at the beginning of year it was to have a lot more AF days than last year. So far in total this year I have done 42, 43 after tonight. So, Back on day 1 again today. Did 13 days on trot in April and since on off on off however it's an up and down way to be. By 13 day I was feeling good and was less bloated - in fact these days day 1 makes me feel happy! Plan for may? Don't know long term so I guess I'll opt for ODAT. Good luck to everyone - Px
                Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesties,

Wow, busy thread over the weekend. It will take me some time to catch up. I just wanted to check in and let everyone know that all is well in my little world. I will read back and see how others are doing. Not much to comment on right now, but I didn't want to go AWOL since I disappear over the weekends anyway. Everyone stay strong and safe. Glue your butts to the nest! LOL

K9
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, I think Lolab is right! MWO is throwing a 2 fer 1 special! Welcome everyone, while I am sorry you had to seek out an alcohol abuse forum, I am happy that you found us. None of us intended to end up here, but alas....it is what it is. Alcohol had become the center of our universe to the exclusion of job/family/health. You have landed in the best place possible if you are serious about taking your life back. It is the fight of your life, and sometimes it gets hard, but it is worth it. I got sick of waking up with the GSR Brothers (Guilt/Shame/Remorse). Everything was DISMAL then, at the bottom of the rabbit hole. But it doesn't take long to begin to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Get yourself 3 good days AF and you will be amazed. Get these 3 days in at all costs. I never drank harder than the year I tried to moderate. You will fool yourself for as long as you like by trying to do that...but everyone has to learn it for him/her self. One drink leads to another. The only way to get free of the Beast is to cut it off at the head. One drink feeds it and it lives on to fight another day. It is exhausting. Pick your day...hopefully today...and commit. Hope is not a strategy. Hoping that you can get thru without caving to that hidden bottle you stashed is not going to work. Get all the AL out of your house...we are not Mother Theresa!! You are in a battle with 2 very cunning opponents here...YOURSELF and ALCOHOL. And they know you very well. They know what buttons to push to get you to cave in. Don't listen to those voices. It's like a lover that is trying to hold on, he will tell you ANYTHING to get you to stay...he will tell you that just one won't hurt you...that it will make your more appealing, and more social, and less anxious, and less stressed..the list goes on. But here is the catch. AL IS the problem. It's causing the anxiety, depression, the isolation, the feelings of dispair. ALCOHOL IS THE PROBLEM. Here's the deal....give yourself 30 days AF. If you get to the end of the 30 days, and it was no big deal, you had no problem giving it up, you didn't think of it 24/7, then you prolly don't have a problem! If you are like me, however, it's all I could think about from the time I woke in the morning until the time I went to bed...well, you might want to pull up a twig and stay a while. Your relationship with AL today is as good as it's ever going to get. If it's bad today, it's only going to get worse, not better. It's not all doom and gloom. Today, I couldn't be happier! I feel like I'm the sharpest I've ever been! Sure I still have problems with family/$$/work, but I am better able to cope with them. Getting out of AL Prison is the best thing I've ever done for myself. EVERYTHING has improved!!! NOTHING has gotten worse!! AL is the problem...do not fear life without it...because it is a dam sight better than where I was with it...in all ways. You can do this...zero tolerance...cut its dam head off! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Words of wisdom....thanks. Figured out how to do the avatar too!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dammit, I am so determined to do this. I screwed up last night pretty bad. Drank way too much wine, then went on a crying spree and texted a bunch of people telling them how upset I was. Had a friend come over to cheer me up - and of course she brought over MORE wine. I sent her a text this morning saying how I was really serious about giving up this crappy way of life, and she responded with something completely off the subject (she obviously doesn't believe me). I'm so hungover today that I've already had a beer and a margarita to "help." I may have another beer or two, but I swear to all of you here I'm not going to get trashed and wake up hungover tomorrow. Tomorrow will be DAY ONE, Wednesday will be DAY TWO, and so on. I mean it this time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Rooni,
                          Sorry you're having a hard time right now. Can you stop drinking for the rest of the day? Maybe you can switch to water or juice and then get some sleep? When you wake up you'll probably feel a little bad, but not as bad as if you keep going. Let's just get to tomorrow...day 1 right? I'm thinking of you and wishing you strength.
                          K9
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello, it is about 36 hrs without AL. I didnt sleep at all last night. Not sure if this was bc I drink a lot Gatorade and smart water with sugar in it last night, or my body is freaking out... What she is doing, where is our "good" juice? Lol. Anyway I did reaserch on quiting suddenly, and I'm a little scared. I live by myself and if stroke or heart attac happens, that's it for me. Nobody who knows me know what I'm going through. Now I'm on my lunch break thinking what I should do at 5. Buy beer, or "risk my life". Maybe I'm just looking for excuses. Should I see the doc first?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Have you checked your heart rate and blood pressure??? I have a home monitor as blood pressure probs run in our family

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bellbell, maybe u should see a doctor. This can be serious.

Comment

Working...
                                X