Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

thanks for sharing, Desert Lady. every single time i come too this site, i carry something important away. what you wrote about Your experiences really rang true for me today. i appreciate very much the honesty and clarity. i'm fairly new with not drinking, but even at this stage am shocked at that person i was. at the lack of recognition. and what you said about not spending too much time regretting the past. it's difficult, isn't it? but essential to move forward.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesties!

LG - Please DON'T leave. I know what you were referring to and it wasn't a big deal at all, in fact it wasn't even a "deal". I LOVE hearing from you and knowing what you're up to! Please, please don't leave...pretty please?:heartsnflowers:

I just read through the last 4 pages and I can't remember who said what, I apologize! Someone mentioned night sweats...I had those for about 4 nights when I first quit. They are so weird because you are HOT but COLD and sweating at the same time. The do pass, so like someone else mentioned, just stay hydrated and get through them...oh and sleep in light clothing and don't let your dogs lay all over you, like I did. LOL

There's so much going on in the Nest these days. I'm glad everyone is here and checking in, it's good to write down what we're going through. I wish my memory was better and I could remember more details, but by the time I get to the point of replying, most of my thoughts have drifted away. Just another perk of alcohol...premature memory loss!

Not much to report in my little world today. Just checking in on my peeps. Stay strong everyone and never quit quitting!

K9
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm about 1/2-way through day one, and so far so good. All the usual emotions are here - anxiety, lack of concentration, nervousness, etc - but I knew to expect them, and I know they will become less invasive after I get a few days under my belt. I am really thinking about this "one day at a time" thing, because if I start thinking too far ahead, I start feeling weak and less confident that I will succeed. But maybe, just maybe, this time I really will succeed. I'm a good person with a kind heart, and I deserve to live a healthy life that's not fueled by addiction. I deserve sobriety, and SO DO YOU. I'm going to reward myself as I get past various milestones on this journey (I'm going to buy myself a new TV at 30 days!). My new life is just starting, and I have a lot of living to do!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nooniferd you got this. Start shopping for tvs today! We are all in this together!
          Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
          -Alan Cohen

Comment

Newbies Nest

Destiniey it's 3rd day for me too. Yesterday very boring eavning. AL would make it more fun... same today, I don't know what to do with myself. What was nice past few days it is that I din't buy beer, which was always stressful for me. I have system to never come back to the same place for at least 5-6 days. So every day I was buying beer in different spots. I usually would buy 12 pack, it was easier to hide in my purse, so my neighbors will not see it. Trash removal is stressfull also. I use black bags, and always fell giulty of trashing dozens of cans weekly into landfield. Best wishes to everyone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1312155 wrote: Sporty,

Thanks for posting how you got through those hard first days. I did the same thing. I had to force myself to do the exact OPPOSITE of what I was used to. Since I drank at home only, the first few days I went out...movies, shopping, library, park...etc. But you can't avoid home forever, so once I decided it was time to tackle a night at home, I rearranged a few things (lamps, a chair), so that my drinking "spot" looked different. Every little thing helps. You're doing great. I wouldn't make a big deal of it to the hubby, just let some time pass and tell him how great you're feeling.

Keep up your good work!

K9
              K9, some really good stuff in here. Thanks! I am really struggling with the going home thing. Shoes off, pour a glass of wine. That is the beginning of the end for me...every day. I need to change up my routine. Like you said, park, library, movies...I really like the moving some furn around to change the drinking spot. (I thought I was the only one who had that.) Hubby advice, really great too. Thanks, I will use it all.

peace
              :hDOING THIS FOR ME FOR TODAY!:h

WORD FOR THE DAY: HUMBLE

DAY - 1 Done
              DAY - 2 Processing
              DAY - 3
              DAY - 4
              DAY - 5
              DAY - 6
              DAY - 7
              DAY - 8
              DAY - 9
              DAY -10

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters

Late check in from me, been at work.

Those of you in the early first few difficult days, is it possible to totally change you routine, do something else in the evening, leave the house, etc. I was unable to do this because most of the time I was on my own looking after my children so I had to stop in, but I used to imagine that if you had the opportunity to go for a walk / to the gym or something, go to the cinema - whatever,it may fill the evening and distract you. I'm sure some of you have the opportunity to go out?

Don't give in, it will be worth it.
                Sausage x
                Day 75

Comment

Newbies Nest

Leciejo -we've just x posted but getting out, doing other stuff is exactly what I meant.

If you have to stop in, then just think of some other hobby / distraction, move furniture around - whatever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sportymom;1312132 wrote: Days 1-5 were the hardest days. I thought about drinking all day. I used some of the suggestions I learned from MWO. I figured out what my triggers are: boredom, wanting to unwind, stressful day with my teenager..... My worst time of day is before dinner, I love the wine! I tried to keep myself busy, busy, busy. Walk the dog, garden, run errands, make phone calls, do laundry, clean a closet. Anything to get my mind off the wine! After day 5 it got easier, but this weekend was a big challenge. My hubbie and I usually go to happy hour every Friday night so I asked him if we could go for a bike ride instead. He loved that idea. He is not a big drinker.

Unfortunately, I have not gotten the courage to tell my husband I want to stop drinking. I'm not sure how he will feel about it. I know he wanted me to cut back on the drinking, but saying I'm trying to stop altogether is admitting that I have a big problem. I have hidden my drinking really well. Mostly at home when I'm alone were my big drinking nights. When the family is home I always kept the wine drinking under control somewhat. But I drank wine every night and it ended up being a bigger problem than I wanted to admit. Quitting has been a huge challenge!!
                    First, awesome job on 10 days :goodjob:I admire you. I am a wine drinker too and the evenings are the hardest. I like the bike ride idea. I really want to start playing tennis and we have a court right around the corner. My husband would probably love that he's so competitive....keep on keepin on sporty, I need people like you in my corner

peace
                    :hDOING THIS FOR ME FOR TODAY!:h

WORD FOR THE DAY: HUMBLE

DAY - 1 Done
                    DAY - 2 Processing
                    DAY - 3
                    DAY - 4
                    DAY - 5
                    DAY - 6
                    DAY - 7
                    DAY - 8
                    DAY - 9
                    DAY -10

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi again. :hallo: I've had an emotional, irritable day, lol. Thank you to some of my friends here who have sent personal msgs.:l

The honest truth is, I have no defense for being a complete ass to a person the other day in another forum. If I am responsible for someone not healing properly from AL addiction or worse, starting drinking again, then I really don't need to be here.

I can't even defend myself. I was sick, yes, but I wrote what I was feeling and I was angry that someone was able to use a drug AND drink in order to quit, whereas I had to deal with the cravings and steel myself against AL with no help. I guess I just don't understand.

Anyway, I've been tested in my personal life today as well, and I just hope I can relax when I get home and not carry all this stress with me. I thought seriously about AL about 30 min. ago.

I'm sorryyyyy!

:hLG

"I like people too much or not at all."
                      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hugs LG :l

Your post reminded me of what they always say on Intervention. The addict "gets" to numb their feelings, while the rest of the family is forced to deal with them sober. Almost enough to make you jealous right? Yeah. Until you realize the path that the addict is on. The road to recovery is different for everyone. One person may be white-knuckling it, while another is taking medication AND still drinking. Just realize that the one who has YET to to be completely AF is the one that is struggling more. May not seem like it, but they are. I think you're doing great LG. Be irritable all you want, you're human! Nobody on any of these threads is perfect. We're all doing the best we can. I'm thinking of you and sending you lots of strength and a little pinch to snap you back into your quit. Sent with much love, of course!

xoxo
                        K9

Comment

Newbies Nest

Leciejo & Resrchqueen - what's up with us girls and the wine?? It seems to be a problem for most of my girlfriends.

Leceijo - I think tennis is a great idea. I'm a tennis fanatic!! I hope you give it a try Stay strong.

Angel - I am on day 10 too. I'm so nervous it's not going to last. I also am trying to find a therapist. Have met with 2 so far but have not been able to find someone I am comfortable with. Good luck to you!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wine is my drink of choice too. Once I start, I just can't stop. It used to be classy. Now it's just pure poison to me. And wine snobs make me want to barf.

Comment

Newbies Nest

LG - I just wanted to say that I hope you continue to post. I think your posts are always very sweet and helpful. You seem like a really nice person. We all stick our foot in our mouths once in awhile. Hope you have a great day

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey at least you guys tried to be "classy". I was Bud Light drinker. Nothin' classy about crackin' open those cans and gettin' a nice belch in now and then. I'd sit around scratching my beer belly too. It was cute. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X