Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Interesting thoughts on "friends" who pressure you to drink. I was one of those people. I remember being very angry with a good friend of mine when she and her husband stopped hanging around with me and my ex. Her husband had a problem, she thought (he probably did), and when they were with us, we all drank too much. So, she stopped coming around, and I felt so betrayed. When we moved into our new house I called her and said, You HAVE to come over, and we're GOING to celebrate! Needless to say, she didn't come over. We reconnected not too long ago (briefly, doubt we will ever hang out again) and I told her I had quit drinking. She said her husband has been quit for 6 years.

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Hope everyone is hanging in with their weekend plan to stay safe

Forget the old drinking friends, who needs them anyway?
      Sober living is much better all the way around
      Have a safe night in the nest everyone!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

resrchqueen

I didn't write down the initial reading on Tues. but I'm thinking it was 165/90 which he call severe hypertension.

Yesterday it was down to 125/80 which is very close to normal. He is already cutting down the dosage on the meds and after that it's up to me to do all the normal stuff stuff, exercise, eat better, and of course no AL

I still haven't had time to track back through the most recent posts but will catch up tomorrow. Hope you're doing better.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
        ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
        :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooniferd - friends who don't support your best interests aren't friends. I had a friend get pretty hostile because I wasn't paying enough attention to his needs while I'm focusing on my recovery. He's a pretty heavy drinker and I think he feels threatened that I've finally taken the step - forces him to look at himself and his continuing denial.

Ship at Sea - congratulations. Is gets better and easier.

Have a good evening or day, everyone.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
          "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
          ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
          :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on MWO for a couple of weeks so I am just checking on how everyone is doing.

40 days AF for me today and I feel wonderful.

It is a beautiful day here today, we are just moving into winter. Which is my favourite season.

I hope you all have a wondeful weekend and stay safe. xxoo

Beffy

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Beffy, Congratulations on 40 days AF!! Glad you are feeling great.

angel xx
              Courage is not the absence of fear, it's acting in spite of it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done Beffy!!! I promise you the more AF days you have the more wonderful you will feel.

Be strong, be happy and be the best you can be....

Hugs, Nicey.
                It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
                Mother Theresa

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all. Driving to pick my boys up at college. 14 hours driving is plenty of time to think. Sitting outside the dorm tonight .... Wow ... Lots of alc being consumed. Makes me worried for my boys. I saw these kids sitting in a third floor window. It looked so dangerous. They were bringing in cases and cases of beer. Oh boy. I am sure i did dumb things like that. Driving back home in the am with boys and stuff. Anyway, not much use to anyone here except i need to check in. Thanks for listening.

Comment

Newbies Nest

im scared

im scared to try it brings me to tears:new::upset::upset:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all, just been catching up on all posts. Good luck to all for weekend. Px
                      Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Weeekend

Decided to join in this thread for strength this weekend. Went out last night, drunk fizzy water only. Driving home with hubby and a couple of drunk teens walked straight in front of the car. Scared the hell out of me. Got heaps of determination this weekend, encouraged by all the success stories here. Stay safe and sober everyone. I will be thinking of you all.........:lilheart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone, Day 5 and heading into the weekend sober. Only two days shy of a week. Can't wait!

I'm still thinking about this friends thing. The friend I've been referring to in my recent posts texted me again last night - this time to see if I'd be interested in going to the farmers market this (Saturday) afternoon. I responded that I couldn't. I think she "might" be trying to make an effort to ask me to do things that don't involve drinking, but I'm not sure if that's really her motive. Honestly, I think she just doesn't want to go to the farmers market alone. I also said no because I KNOW that after we walked around, inevitably one of us would say "Cocktail?" And then my whole weekend would go to sh*t. You know the story. Well now she's pissed and didn't even respond back. That's fine. I'd rather piss her off than give in to the beast. Like I said, I am fairly certain our friendship will fizzle out over time since the main thing that connected us (alcohol) will be missing in action.

LibraryGirl - I thought a lot about what you said in your last post. You know, I can think of times when I've been that unsupportive person as well. I have another friend who was on the quitting roller coaster for months (actually she still is), and we would go out to lunch sometimes. I'd order a water to be polite, but by the middle of the meal, we were both ordering wine. If I had just abstained from the wine, she probably would have too. I was just being selfish, and I should be ashamed at myself for that.

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy this beautiful day in North Carolina. I will keep busy all weekend, because I know that the beast thrives off boredom.

Sending strength to all of you for a safe, sober weekend!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Good job getting that B/P down Monique - mine was that high as well & it made me feel awful!

Beffy, Congrats on 40 AF days, god to se you

Hello to angel & nicelife!

Yogamom, wishing you safe travels!
                            I remember visiting a certain college campus with my daughter when she was a senior in high school on a Saturday morning. I freaked out when I saw kids puking out a third story dorm window

Hello & welcome yknot!
                            I have to tel you, I also was scared to death when I first started here, really. Turned out there was absolutely nothing to be afraid of, really.
                            I started out by downloading the MWO pdf from the Health store here - it has lots of good info for you.
                            You need to make a good plan for yourself as well. Take a look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for lots of great ideas. Stick around, read & post often, it really helped me

Hello tp patricia & Cupcake!
                            I'll bet you are grateful you were sober last night

Wishing everyone a safe & AF Saturday!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi rooniferd - cross post
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooniferd, about wanting others to drink with you; I am also guilty of that. But when I think of all the other things I done under the influence that is a blip in the ocean.
                                When you are in drinking mode it is a selfish place so you are not really thinking of how or what you are doing to others. It was only when I got some AF time under my belt that I realised......it was like waking up and saying 'What the hell have you done?' I was honestly blind to so many things...
                                I don't feel too badly about friends who don't get it; if they don't, it is either because they don't have a problem themselves and therefore will never understand, or, they are in that denial that so many of us were stuck for years; they are the ones that need your prayers.
                                However, whatever their reason is, I believe your most important thing right now is to avoid them - there is a certain degree of selfishness required to ensure you stay on the right path. Maybe in the future you will be a person they come to for advice and friendship or they may drift away......time will tell.
                                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Working...
                                X