Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Litre - glad you are here. It's nice to meet you. Hey, I obviously don't know the details of your circumstances, but I do hear the deep pain in your words. You can beat this, or you wouldn't be posting here. You are here because you are fed up and ready to make changes in your life. Well, now's the time, and you can do it!! Try to imagine a world without substance abuse. Picture a life where YOU are in control. Think of all the things that are worth living for!

It's not impossible to get out of this mess. Lots of people are doing it. Just read this forum. You can start heading down that sober path today, and you will eventually get to your destination. I just started this journey myself, so we can go together.

Hang in there. Get a plan, and stick to it.

Oh, and do something nice for yourself today. You need some TLC and build up your strength to fight the beast :-)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone!!!
      Litre....nice to meet you! I am on day 3 and it has been numerous times that I have had to start over on day 1. It feels so good to wake up and know exactly what I did the night before. Remembering my actions and knowing I didn't act like an ass is soooo nice. But come this afternoon I will be needing all the help I can get to not go and buy a bottle. I just keep thinking about all the encouragement I keep getting here and everyone's excellent advice. I agree with Rooni....do something nice for yourself today and I know it may sounds strange but please find comfort in the fact that we are all struggling with the beast today also. Together we can do this!
      Rooni...I am so glad you are feeling better today. I had a rough night....I couldn't sleep...kept tossing and turning and when I did fall asleep I woke up with the damn night sweats again! It wasn't as bad as the night before but it still sucks! I am hopeful for today and will be trying to get on here and post as muh as possible. This journey is soooo hard...but I am glad we are on it together!
      A big thank you to everyone here!!!!!!!!!
      AB Club Member
      AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

I have to say that pure stubborness was a huge part of my plan & still is :H
        Whatever works, right??

Destiniey, keep that gratitude going, it helps me everyday

Rooniferd, by all means make 2012 the year you finally got it together - you have a great start!

Hello Daya, hope you are doing well.

Welcome back Litre!
        Glad you are back, what's your plan?

I have a busy day ahead so I'll wish everyone a terrific AF Wednesday!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Rooniferd, you are right I am in alot of pain, and yes I want to kick this SOB out of my system.
          Goal
          I am starting over as of Sept 6
          SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
          be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
          be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
          be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
          Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
          Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
          I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Destiny thankyou aslo, right now I feel absolutely helpless. Today my brother is in surgury and I cannot be there. He fears he will not come out of it. At the end of the month I will not have a place to live. Why not not hide at the bottom of a bottle. The answer to my own question is, I guess at the bottom there is no where else to go but up. I do not feel like going up
            Goal

AF since June 30, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

LAVENDE thankyou for the welcome back, no plans just want to clean up my life
              Goal

AF since June 30, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Destiniey;1317223 wrote:
                Rooni...I am so glad you are feeling better today. I had a rough night....I couldn't sleep...kept tossing and turning and when I did fall asleep I woke up with the damn night sweats again! It wasn't as bad as the night before but it still sucks! I am hopeful for today and will be trying to get on here and post as muh as possible. This journey is soooo hard...but I am glad we are on it together!
                We ARE in this together! Let's not let each other down :-)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone

There really is a lot going on here and a lot of courage as well. Daisy WOW you are doing so well, LoLab thanks for all your advice - an amazing time, Brydlady, yes, I guess my story resonances with a lot of people, no days off work, rock of family etc etc, Stewarts - guess there are a lot more people like us out there that certainly I imagined . . . . K9 again, sounds like we are similar - hope your doctors appointment went okay? Sportmom, superb effort, Roonifred, yip - lots of empty calories and last 18 months has certainly seen me doing late night snacks hence almost 1.5 stone weight gain - and as for visiting the doctor - last went for a check up in 2008 and did 30 days straight off - result was that I was told that I was in tip top condition . . . . . giving me green light to go back to same old ways. Love your sign off Desertlady, excellent advice. Destiny, like I said above, I just give up the AL if I have to go to the docs. Lav - like you said yesterday, I've come up with a plan, not much of a plan because don't think I can do long term planning at the moment but pure stubborness certainly is playing a part in bouncing back. Roonifred, you make me smile because you sound a lot like me - (concerned about your weight and of course the fibs to the doc) Ltre 2 - you know, you don't need courage to keep coming back here, just common sense - nobody judges and all you get is encouragement - it's amazing! If I've missed anyone out then I apologise - its purely unintentional. I've made it through to day 2 again and have made some sort of plan which I hope I can stick to. Feel good today and hope you all have a peaceful day, keeping strong and happy. Px
                  Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Litre...I am so sorry to hear about your living situation and my thoughts and prayers are going out to your brother for a successful surgery! I don't know if I am in any position to give advice since I am only on day 3 and have hid in the bottom of a bottle which seems like forever. But I can at least let you know that you are not alone here. I have found such great comfort from the people here. I first started this journey last June but I never took advantage of the tools here or the advice and never logged on or read posts. This time around I am reading posts and learning that so many people have gone through what I have gone through and have made it to a life of sobriety. Everyone here says how wonderful it is and the freedom that you feel is awesome when you become AF. I don't know quite yet how to get through life without buying that next bottle..getting that next buzz but I do know that Idon't want to live like this anymore because getting that bottle doesn't lead to just a buzz for me..it leads to blackouts, self remorse, et al. I am a strong person but the AL makes me weak and that pisses me off! Yesterday I passed 2 liquor stores and although it was pure HELL I was able to keep going. Remembering the words of encouragement and the advice I have gotten here is what helped me to get through. It took me a while to reach out to the people here and embrace them and their journeys because I wasn't ready to quit. I thought I was hiding it from everyone around me....NOT! I had hit rock bottom many times and hid back in the bottle only to start the viscious cycle over and over again! I was in denial as to what I was doing to my family and to myself. This past weekend I hit my last rock bottom....I had a wonderful Mothers Day and ruined it by getting plastered...started hitting the vodka in the afternoon. Ugh! I will stop rambling here but I am hoping that this helps some. I am hoping that you will feel like "going up" soon. It sucks....it's not easy...but I am crawling to the end of the tunnel because there is supposedly a light there. You are more than welcome to join in the journey with me!
                    AB Club Member
                    AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Patricia... congrats on day 2 AF :goodjob:....I am on day 3...lets hope today goes well for us!
                      AB Club Member
                      AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Rooni... here's looking at another positive day for us!!!!! :wd:
                        AB Club Member
                        AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Destiniey yes we can do the journey together. Alot of your words were very insperational. I have never felt so at the bottom as I do now
                          Goal

AF since June 30, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ah...The Plan. I thought this was a bunch of hooey. I don't need a plan, all I need to do is stop drinking! Well, how do you do that? Therein lies the rub. This is just my take on that, please other nesters, chirp in. Figure out what you are going to tell other people when you go out or are going to be around other people that will be drinking. This seems like a small thing, but I've seen many nesters derailed by this, myself included. You must come up with a rock solid answer and get it out of your mouth before your head has a chance to get involved. One moment's hesitation can cost you your quit. Get your excuse down pat. Mine is this: " It's like battery acid to my insides". Anyone with a Type A personality can identify with this one, and most of us are Type A's. Secondly, get ALL the AL out of your space. No, you can't have that hidden bottle in your drawer as a safety net, cause guess what? When you say that, you are planning to fail. YOU are planning to win! Thirdly...surround yourself with things you love to do and eat. I really enjoyed having Charm's Blow Pops at the ready. They are sugary sweet suckers with bubble gum inside. When you get a mind blowing craving, pop one in and see if it doesn't work!! They last about 15 minutes and this is just the amount of time a real craving lasts. They keep your hands busy (it's a sucker, after all) and keeps your mind occupied and distracted. I bought them by the bags my first several weeks. Also, I found that having high carb food on hand was helpful. I'm not a dr, but I understand that our bodies are craving these carbs we aren't getting from AL. I also wanted potatoes, in all forms... (how odd) Lastly, put yourself in the service of others. Take the focus off yourself and what you can't have. If you put your mind to helping someone who is having a need you can fill....it's very rewarding. Just pick up the phone and call somebody that's old...who doesn't get many calls. Write a note and send it to someone. It's all Lav's preaching....be grateful for what you have ...and stop thinking of what you don't have. The pity party is very hard to resist. But this is the difference in success and giving in. After a while...you will see things very differently. I see other people drinking...and for a second I get a twinge...then I think, dam, I just feel so much better, I move on...and I want to jump for joy that I'm not tied to that demon anymore. Many fewer people are actually drinking than I thought. My mind said...EVERYBODY else is drinking but me...(sniff, sniff) but that is not the case. I am in much better company by not drinking. It just isn't that odd anymore!! So stand tall! Get your story together, and take off! I wish I could tell you that there is nothing to fear....well, actually, I WILL tell you there is nothing to fear! It all GETS BETTER! The fear should be in staying inside the bottle hell. When you have a thought about caving...say, NO, HELL NO!! I will NOT give in to you! And shift your mind to something else. Do not cave in no matter what and no matter who. You can do this, if I can do it....you can do it!! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdie....That was awesome..I will take those words with me as I go through my day!
                              AB Club Member
                              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thankyou Rooni, I guess my first thing in mind is my brother making through his surgury. Then moving, after that I will set a date to be AF and stick to it. I was very sick and lost a month trying to find a place, and the one person I put everything into dissapointed me. Now with 2 weeks to find a place I have never felt so alone as I do now.
                                Goal

AF since June 30, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X