Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good advice...my morning

Byrdlady, that is some good advice, especially with the "line" I can still not get it down...I even used I'm on medication (which I am) and that hasn't worked.

Another good things she pointed out was the send a message or reach out to someone you haven't in awhile. As some of you know, a close friend of mine is shunning me for something stupid she did to me while very innebriated. I don't care, to me, at least, our friendship is too important....but she is still having apparent issues...about the whole thing. My Dr. said, "All you can do is be honest and good friend, and keep it simple," which I have. So, I actually took this to, well, people I haven't spoke to in awhile.

I emailed a lawyer friend of mine and said, "Hey old friend, it's been way too long, I'd like to see you." She emailed me last night asking how my next week looked.

I forwarded a young woman who left our office several months ago. I always though highly of her, but never said good bye when she left with everyone. Perhaps I was in one of my moods. Well, this interoffice thing I knew she'd think was funny, I ended with, "I miss you and apologize for not saying good bye to you properly" She didn't comment on that, but said she wants to come visit the office soon....I felt good about it...

Comment

Newbies Nest

My morning

I thought I'd make this a seperate post. I feel weird today - not hung over, no anxiety, just a little jittery, like when I get dehyrdated after a very long run.

First, I went for a run, then I met a date a bar last night. I had one beer there. I then wanted something to eat so we went to a tapas place. There I had three glases of red wine. I really only was going for one or two, but I had the third, it was early. We got home at a reasonable hour; as a matter of fact it was the best sleep I had in a very long time. I woke up fine and refreshed.

However, as the morning went on, I just started feeling, well weird. Like I said, a little jittery and uncomfortable...I can't quite place what it is...if anything, perhaps the wine has something to do with it, perhaps I didn't eat enough last night...I'm not dying or anything like that, but if anyone has ever experienced this and knows of something that can help....please feel free to shout...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesties!

Welcome Litre! You have found a great place with wonderful people that can identify with where you are at and what you're going through. I hope your brothers surgery turns out well, my thoughts will be with him. As you have noticed, everyone here is in different stages of beating this alcohol beast. Some are in the first few days and some are well into years of sobriety. So please stick close, you will benefit so much from the people here! I'm glad you're here.

Byrdie, as always, your advice was spot on. And now every time I see Blow Pops I will think of you and your wisdom! I love your line "No matter what, no matter who"....that one really sticks with me. Thank you for all your advice and support. You and Lav are good nest Moms and make this place quite comfy!

My doctor appointment went well, it was just a check in to see if my meds are working, etc. As I was on the way out she said "You should be really proud of yourself"...and I said "I am!". She's a good doctor. My next appointment is in 4 months. I still think they hide rocks in their scales though, I was 6lbs heavier there than I am at home! I'll stick with my home scale, thank you very much. LOL

Rooni, Destieny and Patricia, you guys keep up the good work. The first few days are the hardest, so get past those and you'll notice a huge difference. Good job not "hiding in the bottle"...I did that for years and it sucks! I agree with Lav that my pure stubbornness has proven to be a good tool in my sobriety. If someone had said to me five years ago "I bet you can't get sober"...guess what? I'd be five years sober! LOL

Everyone have a great day and stay strong. I am off at noon today and plan to get my workout over with then take a nap! Exciting, I know!

K9
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9, I can tell you this from training...you're most accurate weight is when you wake up in the morning...it will flutuate during the day, so I wouldn't worry about that... :-) Great Job.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks lolab. I appreciate your encouragement.

Byrdie - that was really great advice. I especially liked the part about putting yourself in the service of others. I am sick of only thinking about myself. There are so many people out there who need help and I think it's time I start giving instead of taking.

Hope everyone has a terrific AF day!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I must also comment on this idea about providing service to others. I'm certainly not claiming to be the master of this, but I have made an honest effort over the years to reach out to people who are in need. Usually it's giving food or some sort of gift to a homeless person. When I went to Buenos Aires last year, every time I went out to eat, I always got something to go and gave it to the first homeless person I found on the street.

I'm certainly not trying to brag here, because there are so many more things you can do for people than give them food, but my point here is not so much what it did for them, but WHAT IT DID FOR ME. I can't really put into words what it feels like for me, but it definitely took my mind off myself and put the focus on others. Just walking around the streets seeking out someone who needed food - paying so close attention to everything around you. Wow, my life's not so bad after all!

I tell you, it does wonders to give to others. And giving could be as simple as smiling at the old man waiting in the waiting room in the doctor's office, or complimenting someone in the elevator on their shoes. The little things mean a lot.

Let's all do something nice for someone today. And, while you're at it, don't forget to do something nice for yourself!!

Stay safe and sober, everyone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

It is 1:48 here and my brothers surgery was at 7 am, I am so much a wreck with worry. I should be making arrangements to move but I am frozen with fear. I guess what they say about no news being good news.
                I cannot say I am AF yet, but I am working on it.
                Thankyou all for your encouraging words about my brother, this is his second cancer surgery. And thankyou for your warm welcome backs, I will do all I can not to dissappoint any of your, or myself
                Goal
                I am starting over as of Sept 6
                SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
                be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
                be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
                be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
                Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
                Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
                I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Litre - I'm thinking about you and your brother. Let us know how it goes. Praying for you and your family....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Litre, my brother is having surgery on his spine next week...I am sick with worry too. I am hoping for the best possible outcome for your brother. B
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters
                      Brief check in from me.
                      Litre - hope all goes well for your brother and Byrdie I'll be thinking of you next week.
                      Rooniferd, huge congrats on day 9 - you are doing great, just keep going and it should get a little easier soon
                      K9 - no wonder your Dr was proud of your, you are doing brilliantly and you are a huge inspiration to me at day 83 - a little way behind you.
                      Hello to everyone else
                      Have a safe night in the nest xx

Comment

Newbies Nest

thankyou everyone for your kind words, my brother came out of his surgury and it was not as invasive as they thought. Byrdlady, my thoughts are with you for next week.
                        Now that I know he came through okay, I can concentrate on moving and become AF again. I know the AF will happen I just have to set a day and that is it. It is awful to have so much on my mind that the Alcohol takes advantage of it. It seems to grow the more stress there is in ones life. I want to make it go away. At this moment Puff the Magic Dragon is on my mind. I was crushed when I learned the song was about drugs. I had such a vivid imagination. Now I look at alcohol as that dragon. I want his green scales to fall like rain. Still a kid at heart
                        Goal
                        I am starting over as of Sept 6
                        SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
                        be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
                        be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
                        be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
                        Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
                        Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
                        I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Litre, I'm glad everything went well with your brother. I had heard that song was about drugs, but you know what? It doesn't have to be. Just because it may or may not have been written with a certain subject in mind doesn't mean it has to mean that for you.

Hi Nesties! I am here, never fear. Have had a pretty good week. Got some stuff done I needed to do, and about to buy a new book for my Kindle. I can't wait! Hope everyone is having a great Wed. night. Tomorrow is my "Fri." hee he he! I have Fri's off till August starting this week and I am so stoked!

Laters,

LG

"I like people too much or not at all."
                          Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Long busy but good day for me

Litre, glad to hear your news. I hope everything falls into place for you very soon.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

My Baclofen story...so far...

Hi everyone,
                              Got sober in rehab in 1998, stayed sober for 5 years, relapsed for a year and a half, got sober (again in rehab) for 4 years, relapsed twice briefly and have been sober for 20 months now.
                              Have been on approx 150-240mgs of Baclofen per day for 2 1/2 years but have stablised now on 150mgs for the last 2 years (50mgs X3 daily). Have experimented with different dosages but have found that when I go higher I get heart palpitations. Sometimes the cravings kick in so I add another 25mgs to the usual dose and I come right or I deliberately take extra as a precaution if I'm going to be in a situation where there will be a lot of drinking around me.
                              Luckily I have a GP (Australia) who prescribes it willingly for me and has followed my progress with interest.
                              I still do AA because I love it (and my friends there) and because I'm not willing to risk my hard won sobriety by giving it up.
                              "Never grow a wishbone sista, where a backbone oughta be"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 10 - I'm in the double digits now!

I am definitely feeling better, and so is my wallet. One thing that I really regret about drinking is all the money I've blown. Over the years, I've tried to keep budgets, and I have always been completely astounded at the amount of money I was spending every month on bar tabs. Usually I would just get so frustrated and stop the whole budget thing altogether. It was one of those "I just don't want to know" things.

Two Sundays ago, when I was sitting at the bar having a mimosa, an old friend came and sat beside me. I haven't seem him in quite a while. We used to go to the same bar back in the day. So, I see he hasn't changed a bit. I noticed how all the bartenders flocked over to him when he walked in. They didn't let him wait a second for any of his drinks. He's got to have his shots made a special way, and they all knew the routine. When I commented on this royal treatment, he said "Well it helps that I give them 20 bucks for a tip every time I come in!"

So he thought he was really cool for that. I think it's just ridiculous. I know he doesn't make THAT much money, and he's got a wife and child. That money could be going to his kid's college fund. Or maybe a nice vacation for his family. I don't know - anything but that.

Anyway, I haven't had a bar tab in 10 days now, and I am stoked!

Hope everyone can find the strength to deal with their issues today without reaching for alcohol.

Comment

Working...
                                X