Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Kradle - LMFAO!!!! Soo funny, at least it took your mind off Al for about 5 seconds!! Just coming up to end of day 4 - and still all good, though feeling weird - would normally be withdrawl I reckon but my minds not up with the body in that respect - no I don't know WTF I'm on about either. Ho humm. Off to a ceramics class tonight to get all creative, then home for an early nite see all you lovely people tomorrow, have a sober peaceful night.
    Love and peace to you all, xxx:hxxxx

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Noodle, congrats to you on your AF time

Kradle, I didn't see your post last night - GEEZ!
      I hope you sorted it all out with your kids.
      This is a good example of the importance of being clear-headed so that we can handle life's little emergencies swiftly & properly.

Wishing everyone a great AF hump day!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone,

I'm blown away by the courage and commitment on this thread. Whether you've slipped or celebrating 30 or 180 days. I can't remember how many Day 1s I've had the past seven years. The periods of sobriety lasted from a couple of days to at one point 9 months.

I had to get to a really dark place (nearly suicidal, whether intentionally or just slowly from Al) before I reached out for professional help. Both counseling and a Dr. who recommended rehab but agreed to medical self-detox because I was determined not to jeopardize my job. That took a week and was relatively painless because it took away the shakes, calmed the anxiety and I was able to still go to work.

Now I'm on Day 15. Drinking protein/nutritional shakes in the morning. Having coffee instead of wine first thing. Going for walks and doing Pilates. The past few months I'd been drinking thoughout the day just to maintain. I didn't get drunk, it was just what I had to do to stave off the hangover/hand tremors. So it's a pretty amazing change from two weeks ago.

I firmly believe if you've been a heavy daily drinker (I was 2 bottles of wine a day - at least) it's dangerous to stop cold-turkey. My Dr. was so concerned that he insisted someone be with me at night in case I had a seizure. I found a small counseling center that specializes in addiction; my Dr. is extremely well-grounded in Rx therapies (I've been off the detox drugs for a week; it was just low-dosage valium and high blood pressure medication because my BP was 185/90 when I first saw him) and my therapist's specialty is neurological research and Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Everyone's approach is different but the accountability of going to appointments and being willing to accept professional help and emotional sustenance from this message board, plus pursuing other interests to take the place of all the lost time drinking -- that's what's working for me.

Now off to Pilates and work. Here's hoping we all find the path that leads to the better life we so deserve.

Have a great day, everyone.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
        ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
        :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Monique, Wow....that was really brave of you! Congrats on 15 days AF! Thanks for letting us know what has helped you remain AF. I totally absorb any info I can get...perhaps that is my new addiction...who the hell knows! Ha! Have a great day and keep us posted as to how you are doing!
          AB Club Member
          AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Monique, you are awesome!

I'm just about to see my GP and do something very similar to what you have just done...

You are making me feel very positive...

Thankyou...

David x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey guys,
              I posted a massive post earlier that seems to have gotten lost in cyberspace..
              So quickly;

Lavande, love all your posts!
              You guide me so much and can't wait to be in your space and like you. Everything u say makes so much sense!
              Rooni, keep going, you will get there! I know it!
              Noodle ; well done!!!!
              K9, you rock. Enjoy your break!
              Caper, I'm in icu chocolate heaven!!
              Library girl. Keep up the good work you are wonderful.
              Ok, anyone if forgot, stay stong.
              Like I said.…. My post didn't come through and this is my compressed version before another AF bedtime.
              Take care
              Talk Tom
              Today I chose to start living!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ship.....Good luck with the appointment with your GP! Keep thinking positive thoughts and keep us posted!
                AB Club Member
                AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you, Destiniey...

and I will keep everyone posted about my Dr's appointment....

I'm already armed with "If you refuse to prescribe Antabuse, I will buy it online"

He has no problem with the Valium, he gave me enough to get hooked (50 five miligram tablets once a Month, for six months?)

I haven't taken them for 6 months but a weeks worth is really useful for Alcohol withdrawal and sleeping...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well noodle we are fellow day counters. Day 5! Yay!

Monique, yay for you on 15! I am using the supps to get thru this but I have to say things haven't been too bad. My hours for work are 12 hr shifts, so that helps tremendously, as it keeps my mind busy. It is the witching hour after 6 pm that gets me wound up. I usually get home from 730 - 900, so I cram food down the throat and hit the bed to get on here and read, play words with friends or read. Whatever to keep the mind occupied. I Also have a scrip for a mild anxiolytic, i take that on the way home to smooth the anxiousness.

Hi Kradle, ship, and destiniey! Hope everyone has a fabulous day! Going to take petey for a walk and clean some house if I can put down "Fifty Shades" lol

Lavande, you are my inspiration!

Cat
                    Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
                    -Alan Cohen

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ship....Wow..he obviously is a fan of valium!!!! I honestly don't know what the difference is whether you buy the Antabuse on-line or get it from the Dr except for the fact that you are monitored when it is prescribed for you. I know alot of people on here rave about it....have you ever been on it before?
                      AB Club Member
                      AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Cat! You sound soooo good and happy!!!!! Congrats on day 5 !!!!!!! I am on day 2... but I think the supplements have kicked in because I am in a totally positive place this time around...lets hope it keeps up! Ha! Have a great day!!!!!!!!!
                        AB Club Member
                        AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Destiniey;1321673 wrote: Ship....Wow..he obviously is a fan of valium!!!! I honestly don't know what the difference is whether you buy the Antabuse on-line or get it from the Dr except for the fact that you are monitored when it is prescribed for you. I know alot of people on here rave about it....have you ever been on it before?
                          Have never tried it..

Side effects seem quite good, plus I would take a half dose and still be terrified of drinking...

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm just banking on the fact that My Dr wouldn't like me taking prescribed (and possibly dodgy) drugs unsupervised...

I have mentioned Antibuse before and he just told me that I wasn't a "Hard Core Alcoholic" and so it wasn't needed...

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have never tried it either. The only thing that scared me about the side effects is that you have to watch what you eat...nothing with ANY alcohol in it and stuff like cough medicine etc. But I am thinking that the pros outweigh the cons!
                              AB Club Member
                              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all, I feel a lot better today than yesterday. My hangover seemed to get worse as the day went, so I took the afternoon off and met a friend. Yes, I drank a couple of drinks to help deal with the huge anxiety I was feeling, but I didn't go to bed drunk. Now, I'm back at work and feeling really inspired to hop back on the wagon and re-start my journey. I should have never gotten off at the last stop....

I know what I need to do. I need to strengthen my plan and start taking more advantage of the Toolbox and other resources. I need to catch up on work right now, but I will totally plan to do that soon!

I also signed up for a fitness bootcamp that starts in three weeks. It's three mornings a week at 6am. I did this for the obvious reason of getting in shape and losing some weight, but I also did it to keep me from drinking! I am, gosh, I can't very well get up and do this fitness class hungover. My friend has done a similar class, and she says you absolutely have to cool it on the drinking if you want to be successful. I am really excited about this!

I also took my own advice and did something nice for myself yesterday, since I was feeling so awful. I booked a vacation in San Diego in September. I fully intend to spend the summer sober, and that will be a very nice gift to myself. I keep picturing myself a few pounds lighter, feeling great, waking up early and taking long walks on the beach. Can't wait!

Thanks again for everyone here. I learn something new from each and every one of you with every post.

I am so looking forward to racking up some days again!

Comment

Working...
                                X