Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Rooni... A little white lie when it comes to you staying AF is perfectly acceptable....I would just tell them that you were charging your phone and had no idea that it turned off...never got the texts...oops! Heehee It IS going to be a great weekend. I have Crazy Glue, Gorilla Glue and any other glue I can find on my butt so I am prepared to stay in the nest! HA!
    AB Club Member
    AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning LibraryGirl...of course you can shorten it! Ha! It sounds like you are having a good morning. Us Carolinians have to do stuff like that in the morning because it's too darn hot to do it in the afternoon! Ha!
      AB Club Member
      AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's so hard to catch up if I only check in once a day!

Desti, isn't it great to wake up that way? Congrats.

Rooni - regarding one of the rare disagreements I've seen on this thread, you said it well, "I think this "disagreement" speaks to the convoluted thoughts we have about alcohol when we know we have a big problem but still aren't quite of the mindset to make a firm commitment to quit." I've been there for 7 years. I don't know what made be finally ready this last time. But with all of 18 days under my belt (or my Marc Jacobs handbag), I feel more secure and confident than any of the other dozens of times I tried to quit on my own. But also vulnerable because I know how insane thoughts can quickly take over.

Cat belle - good going. You sound great.

Stewarts - I'm relatively new here but I go against the flow on this one. I say whoever wants to be here has every right to be here and a big part of the attraction of the thread to me should be that you are allowed to express where you are without judgment. As far as I'm concerned, nothing is off limits. It's like kicking someone out of an AA meeting because they're still drinking or not sure. That just doesn't happen. Everyone is welcome as long as there is (somewhere lurking in there) a desire to stop drinking, however up and down and back and forth that path may be. I find your posts useful; they remind me of how I convinced myself that I was really ok a lot of the time, not as bad a drinker as many, not in the gutter, I have a good job, I look good, people always have viewed me as happy and positive and always smiling, in short (or long) passing myself off for the most part as a fully-functioning "normal" person. I was good at it. Even at the worst. Feel free to message me if you like.

Yogamom, dealing with life's biggest challenges makes what we're trying to do that much harder. Somehow when I had 14 years sobriety I made it through marriage, divorce, deaths, multiple relocations, a brother-in-law's brain aneurysm/death, and yet the first drink I took was when something really positive happened and I had no one to celebrate with but myself - I had my first article published in the Washington Post. A year later I started drinking on the 2nd anniversary of my 2nd marriage when it was clear it was falling apart. And hence began the past 7 years in and out of sobriety. Stay strong for yourself and your family. Sending you positive thoughts and prayers for your brother.

Ship/David X - what happened at the Dr.? How are you doing?

Happy Friday and have a great weekend, everyone - a long one for those of us in the States.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
        ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
        :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Side question: I have not been able to upload a profile image. They're well under the size requirements. Any suggestions? Thanks.
          ~ from Goethe's Faust

Comment

Newbies Nest

Monique, thank you for that thoughtful post. It said volumes. As for your avatar, have you made sure it was a jpg file? I found that helps. Otherwise, not sure.

LG

"I like people too much or not at all."
            Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Library Girl - yes, jpgs, and teeny ones at that so I don't know. Thanks for the response - on both. Re the long looming weekend. There have been so many times I literally couldn't even go into the grocery for fear that I'd automatically pick up a bottle with the uncontrollable "out of nowhere" compulsion. So good for you not to buy any. If you don't have any, you can't drink it. Have a movie marathon, go for walks, buy a new book, get a mani/pedi, hang out with friends who aren't "slippery," visit a pet store -- do whatever it takes to stay occupied and be good to yourself.

ENJOY your sober weekend.
              ~ from Goethe's Faust

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi guys,
                I have been hovering in the back ground.
                Sorry to see some are struggling but very proud that everyone is giving it there best!
                I'm at 5days 16hrs. And I'm very scared. Because this is sort of where I feel over last.
                I know I'm doing well.. But I'm so very frightened if failing.
                Please, I think I need someone to just say you can do this.
                Today I chose to start living!

Comment

Newbies Nest

So be it! Yes, you can! I'm at 18 days -- finally feeling really great. Hang in there.
                  ~ from Goethe's Faust

Comment

Newbies Nest

So Over It - hang in there. Distract yourself with a movie, something good to eat, some music or even just internet trawling. Remember it's "just" a craving - you have no more AL in your body, so this is your mind telling you want a drink. Have a word with it and remind it that that is just not what you do anymore. The fear (anxiety?) will also decrease steadily as you build up AF days - and right now you're less than 2 days short of getting to an entire week, which is such a victory! Keep in mind that these first two weeks are the most rollercoastery, so be kind and compassionate to yourself, and remind yourself that you are doing something really wonderful for YOU.
                    The more days you build up, the more you can start to believe that you really can do this. If you haven't already, go have a look at the TOOLBOX, and use anything and everything you think will help to get you through the next day. ODAAT - One Day At A Time was what I kept focussing on, and it really helped me. Courage, my friend - we're all rooting for ya!!
                    If you always think what you've always thought,
                    You'll always feel what you've always felt.
                    If you always feel what you've always felt,
                    You'll always do what you've always done.
                    If you always do what you've always done,
                    You'll always get what you've always got.

3 Days AF = DONE
                    6 Days AF = DONE
                    14 Days AF = DONE
                    21 Days AF = DONE
                    28 Days AF = DONE
                    30 Days AF = DONE
                    60 Days AF = hmm, much bigger gap to this goal, but let's see if ODAAT works for this one too....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks desert lady and Monique,
                      I don't want to bother everyone with unsettling posts and have only posted encouraging ones to everyone. I want to keep the " up beat momentum going"
                      But now I really needed you guys and thank you for posting so quick!
                      Will pressure on...and stay strong. I'm just so anxious and frightened right now.
                      I put on the hypo app
                      Thank you again, your quick reply was just what I needed!
                      love you all x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Did you guys have all these sugar cravings... I'm going through chocolate like toilet paper!
                        No joke!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Have you watched the rain in my heart documentaries on You Tube? I do that when I'm tempted to drink

And yes I did get sugar cravings - I must have consumed my whole body weight in chocolate since I quit but I haven't gained a single lb - in fact I've lost 3 !!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I haven't. Thank you sausage, will find it now x

Comment

Newbies Nest

BF's arguing with his best friend on the phone and it is so bad I'm crying.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                              Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Theres a link in the top thread in the general discussion section

Comment

Working...
                                X