Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well, LG, you did not stop at the AL store! The don't sell wine or beer at most stores here .... Makes it easier. I used to live where Costco sold it all. Yikes. Can you say Bulk buying leads to bulk drinking.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all, just checking in once again i have not read back much but thank you all for your welcomes
      Now all i have to do is get my boys out of there beds. .. A friend came round yesterday and i ended up drinking although it was only a couple which was good for me but i am back to day 1
      I will beat this i know i will, i have just got to be stronger.
      Hope you all have a great day xxx
      :dancin: enguin:
      starting over

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in; haven't backtracked all the previous posts yet, but welcome to new folks and hi everyone else.

Friday night I went to a going-away party for my best friend who's moving to Texas for a job. I was the only non-drinker there. They didn't even have anything put out but beer and wine (and great food.) I just kept my plastic cowboy boot 'wine glass' filled with tap water. It wasn't bad but I was ready to be among the early guests to leave.

I've been "off the grid" since Sat. at a friend's cabin on the lake with my BF. (I hate being middle-aged and having a "boyfriend" but we're talking about changing that - after 4 years, maybe it's about time!)

Wonderful 3-day Memorial Day weekend. No TV. No computer. No cell service. And best of all, no alcohol. Lots of reading, hiking, kayaking, staring at the mesmerizing lake, watching ospreys, making a huge fire in the firepit, hearing coyotes, great coffee, and eating well. And getting some sleep, finally. A full 8 hours with only a bathroom break. (Hope that's not TMI - when I was drinking, I was always so dehydrated, it wasn't an issue.)

This is a very different experience than I've had at this same cabin in recent years, when I was mostly drinking wine day and night.

Feeling so much better and very committed to my AF plan. Thank you all for your stories and support! :thanks:
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
        ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
        :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yogamom, they sell beer and wine at grocery stores, gas stations, drug stores, you name it, lol, but hard liquor only at licensed stores. Even the Dollar Store has started selling beer.:H
          You're right though, I didn't go to the liquor store, and I haven't been to one since Feb. I bet they kind of wonder what happened to me. Probably think I moved away, lol. I was in there every other day for years! They even started carrying the brand of spiced rum that I drank for me. That's ridiculous, lol!! Pathetic too.

Ronnie, sorry that you decided to drink. If you want to be AF, you need to listen to Lav. Read her post from this morning for helpful information.

I took a nap and am now contemplating whether I want to read one of my books (yes I read more than one at a time sometimes), or watch a program. Tough decisions!:H

Hope everyone is having a great AF night/day!:h

"I like people too much or not at all."
          Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cross post Monique! Sounds like you had an amazing weekend! I envy you a little bit, lol. I would love to have a place to go like that. Our dogs would love it too! BTW, I'm middle aged and have a BF too, but I've had two husbands and I like having a BF better. Marriage ruined it both times, lmao.

Good job on drinking water while everyone else imbibed. I still haven't really been around drinking yet. I'd like to think I'd be able to abstain easily, but haven't been tested.

"I like people too much or not at all."
            Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

LG - The dolllar store....too funny.
              Monique - Good job. Your weekend sounded great.
              Ronnie - Good for you stopping after a few. Now back in the AF saddle.

AFM, in bed trying to figure out my next step. So much going on in this crazy life. But I will keep lose. Only one bottle of wine in the house now. DH bought it for a special occasaion, No way I can drink that without him getting ticked. So, now just need to stay out of the shop. staying close to the nest today af i feel at risk.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lib Girl - too funny. I have two ex-husbands as well. But I don't regret either of them. The first gave me my son; the 2nd some amazingly wonderful experiences. This one may or may not be marriage, but living together would be the next step. I'm taking him to "meet the parents" for the first time in July!

On not drinking at the party, two good friends knew and were supportive. I don't know what's happened to me but I just wasn't tempted at all. I don't want to go back.
                ~ from Goethe's Faust

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Long holiday weekend is about over. Sober holidays rock, just remember that

Monique, sounds like you had the perfect weekend - good for you!

Greetings to everyone & wishes for a safe night in the nest!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone! I did it....my 1st week AL is completed!!!!! :yougo: I never in a million years thought I could do it....here's a big thank you for everyone that helped me through those really rough days!!!!! :thanks2: I had a great Memorial Day....went on a nice trail ride with my horse and then went to a bbq at my parents house. There was plenty of AL there but I just had diet coke and was perfectly content! I came home and watched a movie on Netflix but I wanted to come on here and see how everyone was doing before I went to bed.

Kradle....you seem like you are in a much better place today! I am soooooo glad! Keep smiling!:heart:

Monique....Wow....you had a dream weekend! I am so glad that you finally slept through the night. I finally got 8 hours last night too except to get up and pee once.:toilet: You're right...I suppose we were too dehydrated before. I remember waking up in the morning with my mouth so dry I could spit dust! Ha! Those days are OVER!

Yogamom....congrats on day 4!!!!! That's awesome!!!!! I wish your brother the best of luck with the chemo. It is so great that you can be there for his kids...I am sure that is a huge comfort for your brother! Keep smiing!

Ronni....I had more day 1's than I care to count....we all have. Just think positive and crazy glue your butt to the nest....we are all here to help you!

LibraryGirl....I am so glad that you took the afternoon off! I felt so bad when I saw that you had to work! It sounds like you enjoyed your day!
                    AB Club Member
                    AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kradle....I just read the question you asked me about the emoticons in another thread! It looks as though you figured out how to do it! LMAO I can see you're having fun with it!:giggle: They are "addicting" litle critters....no pun intended!
                      AB Club Member
                      AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Destiniey that's fantastic, keep going it now gets a little easier.
                        You were AF on this day last week and that makes a huge psychological difference.
                        You can do it, you know you can ride the cravings, they will start to subside now and you will get stronger at dealing with them.
                        The hardest week is over. A HUGE well done again

Sausage x
                        Day 96

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello again.ast year I made it about 3 weeks AF. I am bipolar and went ipo to a deep depression. I had trouble staying sober at that
                          Point and basically quit trying. Fast forward about a year and I have been in a manic episode for the last 3 months. I was put on prolixin and seroquel which are some heavy hitters. I have been off onmedical leave the last 2 weeks and am supposed to return to work on Monday. The meds make me do sedated I don't wake up until 11am. If I drink wine. I can't wake up until 1pm. I have to go back on Monday or risk the chance of losing my job.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yay Desti! You jumped up in the saddle, rode out week 1, and now you're ready to ride week 2!

Goodnight everyone. Sleep well.
                            ~ from Goethe's Faust

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goodnight everyone and a hearty congratulations on AF time!

I am in a better place. Upped my topa helps plus distance...
                              In bed with the twins and a Christmas Carol.: My second addiction- Books on tape :H

And yes Dest I am loving these little little guys :h

Nite in the nest
                              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tx Ellen, I feel for you, having had some severe depression myself. As you know, the alcohol only makes it worse. Re: working on Monday ... you've got some time between now and then. Think about how you want to feel next Monday. Try to take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. Do the best you can.

I feel very grateful that I didn't lose my job - I kept working through a medically-supervised home/self detox and it wasn't easy but I didn't want to risk losing my job either. Welcome back and hugs. :h Keep in touch.
                                ~ from Goethe's Faust

Comment

Working...
                                X