Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

iI love country music. Why are all those songs about drinking?? i might have to start listening to rap.

Kradle - hope today is better for you.

Marc - I have been drinking iced tea. I remember trying the nonalc wine when I was pregnant and thought it was gross. Same for nonalc beer. They might have improved in the last few years. I think the nonalc beer actually has beer in it and is not a good idea if you are on antabuse or absolutely can have no alcohol. Not sure if they are a good idea or not - I am sure someone else can chime in.

Comment

Newbies Nest

freefly - did you get instant netflix?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ambrose! Look at you at 14 days!! You know that's the hardest part, so now just rinse and repeat! 2 more weeks and you will get your 30 day hat!! Not much to look at, but we all seem to prize them very much. It is a milestone accomplishment! You will do it, I just know you will!
        Mark...I found it sadly funny about the non AL wine. #1 It tastes like cough syrup. #2 It is loaded with calories. #3 I chugged it, too But you may think differently...but for me it was like "why bother". I know many folks drink tea here...I drink diet coke. I was willing to drink the booze with no consideration at all for the calories it had, so now that it's AF, I don't want to waste the calories on juice type drinks. Go figure...this is certainly a journey of self knowledge, if nothing else. Since I don't have the booze to pass out, the caffeine in so many other things keeps me awake...so when I go out at night, I usually have water with lime. Then all I have to worry about are the trips to the Loo during the night (much more tolerable than being hungover and out).
        Hugs to all, Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yoga, is there a difference between Netflix & Instant Netflix??
          You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Did anyone else watch The Hatfields and McCoy's on History Channel? I couldn't help but notice that about 90% of all thier problems involved AL!! (I could relate!). It was a great series...hubs and I are watching it again and it's amazing the stuff I missed the first time around and I am sober! I am also Southern and I'm having trouble with their accents B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I didn't watch it Byrdie but I was just reading alcohol related statistics about how often alcohol is involved in crimes. It was an eye opener.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Freefly did you do a search on Netflix? I think by instant, she meant streaming. I don't know if it's available to rent on dvd or not, but I do know The Killing is available on Netflix streaming. Let me know if you still can't find it, and I will do some quick research.

Hi everyone again. Been out and about today and found a few good things to put on ebay. Also bought some nutritional stuff for myself and having a shake for dinner. I hope it lasts, lol.

Good to see you back K9, after your cold. I didn't realize you hadn't been here, lol, until someone said you hadn't been on since Wed. Good thing we have some mother hens on MWO.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi LG - Doh! As you can see am complete technophobe - instant/streaming LOL. I just signed up for free trial and then did a search on the site. I shall have another look. Have watched a movie in the meantime. Kept me out of trouble! Thanks for coming back to me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Click on search at the top of the Netflix display screen and type in Killing. Shows are often difficult to find by just looking through the titles displayed.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

I don't understand - it only comes up with Killing Time, The Killing Time, Kill Bill etc but no The Killing I'm in UK - would that make any difference??

Comment

Newbies Nest

Uh oh. It's a show from AMC, American Movie Channel, lol. It's a remake of the Danish ... dont know the name of that show, but google it if you care. You may have already seen it, in the Danish version. I have tried to google to see if it's available in the uk, but it does seem to be. I really don't know. The other thing you could do is watch online (netflix) with your membership. Sorry, I didn't realize you were in the UK.

UPDATE: Go here to see how to fake a US account, lol. It works even if you've already got one in the UK. Read it, and the comments...then you have access to all the US content.

Netflix UK - Get the US Version of Netflix in the UK

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

I did google it before I went to Netflix to see if I could get it on regular UK catch up but the first episode was too long ago so can't get it. Thanks LG - shall try the US account

Comment

Newbies Nest

Looks like I'll have to cancel Uk account first. I think job for tomorrow. Thanks LG and night!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fly....on your computer go to Netflix.com and search The Killing.....when it comes up click the box that says "add to instant queue". When you go tothe Netflix account on your TV...it will automatically come up. I hope this helps! For some reason I get more of a selection on-line than I do when I go through my TV.
                              AB Club Member
                              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, morning all! At least morning over here...

Lav, funny you should mention the plan... I've just been journalling about it this morning. I'll try to post that in its entirety in the 'My Story' thread but for now, key parts of it consist of...

Reading and posting here daily
                                Continuing to read books about alcoholism and sobriety
                                Continuing to see my therapist
                                Exercise and good nutrition
                                Continued journaling - reinforcing things like why I want to quit, why I can't moderate, why drinking was bad for me and the positives of not drinking. I've found tracking my progress this way quite helpful in the past. Even this morning I was reading back earlier journal entries that helped.
                                Regular rewards during the early stages
                                I'm trying to focus on this idea of waking up on the first of Jan 2013 six months sober

Annnd...

Checking out AA and an alternate recover group I found. This is a huge, scary one for me. AA doesn't sit well with me in a number of ways - with all due respect for those who it has helped - but I figure it couldn't hurt to meet people IRL who are struggling with the same things and, as has been said here before, one can take the bits that work and leave the rest. I'll keep you all posted on when I work up the balls to do this one...

For now I just want to make it to 30 days as that's something I've yet to achieve.

In other news, I put on yet ANOTHER kilo while away Making me now 4 kilos over what was for a long time my 'fat weight'. I am most unhappy about this so dieting and exercise ahead for me!

Roon, I'm actually in Australia Hence why I post at odd times compared to you all.

Yoga Mom, that really made me laugh about your 5 yo and the iPad. Dear Lord - kids are going to be sooo much more technologically advanced than us by the time they're 10 it's scary. I see little kids playing with iPhones and iPads all the time now. Weird.

Marc, people have mixed ideas re AF wine/beer. Personally I don't see the point and wonder if they'd trigger me. I drink a lot of soda water with lime when I'm not drinking - and herbal tea - but it can get booorrring. I also find I drink tons of it when out, which at least means I'm well hydrated I guess. Some bars will make great mocktails. I'm with Byrd on not wanting too much sugar/calories from soft drinks though so if anyone else has more creative, low cal ideas bring 'em on.

What is The Killing? I just discovered a fun new HBO show called The Girls. Otherwise I can't wait to catch up on Mad Men Season 5!

Comment

Working...
                                X