Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Felipe and Chinchilla.....welcome to the nest! You will find the support on here is incredible and the people are awesome! You made a great first step in signing onto this site....the best thing to do it come on here as much as possible and post and read others posts. We are all in this together!!!!!!
    AB Club Member
    AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters! Still sleepy, lol. Hope everyone is doing well this morning.

Chinchilla, how much are you drinking "normally"? That would help determine if you might need medical help with quitting. I was drinking 1/2 to 3/4 bottle of 750 ml. rum every night. I was able to quit without any meds, and the anxiety that I thought was something else that drinking actually helped, was directly related TO drinking. It went away in a matter of days after I stopped completely. Please keep posting and do see a doctor if you think it's necessary.:l

Hope everyone is having a great morning so far, and I will check in later.

LG

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

HI everyone! No news. Just checking in. Glad to see some new faces :-)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi felipe and chinchilla. Welcome to our nest. Stick close and we will be here for u. This is tough to do on your own.

Lilly - hope u are feeling better soon. Get that rest u need.

Destiny - Yes, Wegmans is new to me and makes our move here a bit less painful. And you have to go to a separate section to buy AL, so that stops me from throwing a bottle in just in case.....

Day 12 for me! DH noticed my lack of buying wine and i told him we did not need to keep all that wine in the house....if we ever need it, the store is 5 minutes away. He smiled and said, well...do we ever really NEED it? We still have a cabinet full of booze, but that doesn't tempt me. And his beer in the fridge. But he drinks 1 or 2 several times a week. It is a brand i dont like...i am picky about my beer. It is a lovely day here....i am going to go enjoy it!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I beleive w/o looking this is my 4 or 5th time back - starting out. I'm on Day 2 AF. Somehow, someway I have to get this right NOW! I have crossed a line and had something very embaressing happen but it could have been so much worse....I use to never drink and drive. I'm one of those that am in control all the time (we all know this is BS). On Sun I had been drinking vodka and I normally only drink wine....anyways, drank enough that I drove and not sure why I ended up at a local drugstore....but the next thing I know...a clerk had come outside and was tapping on my window asking if I was ok......a customer mentioned I was "asleep" and had been for awhile. I assured her I was fine -just nodded of....I don't know if she bought it or not, but immediately went home.....my only thought has been - what if someone had called the police. How humiliating that would have been. Only my husband knows the extent of my drinking and he is gone during the week so he probably does not ever know the true extent. A couple wks ago I had some rather disturbing blood work done...showing some of my liver enzymes off - triglycerides way over the dangerous limit-some other danger trigers regarding my overall health. I am an intelligent professional person, no one I work with or my friends have any idea of this....I am also very sneaky and hide things well (or so I think) - I have spent years on the other side of alcoholism with numerous family alcoholic's and then here I am on the other side now. I started a local Alanon group 7 yrs ago....how insane is that. How can this sneak up on a person? I have books, cds, have done tons of research on this disease and now I have been lured into it. I pray, I berate myself, I loathe myself, I live with guilt over so much-I drink and go on shopping sprees and end up taking most of it back as I have no clue why I bought what I did. I go buy groceries I don't need, just to have an excuse to get some wine. I am praying this embaressing experience Sunday, will scare me into sobriety.

I know it isn't that cut and dried, but I am going to use every fiber of my being to work on 30 AF so I can have my blood work redone. I have 6 beautiful grandchildren....I want to be here to see them grow up and go to their graduations, weddings, know thier children......If I don't stop NOW-I will not be here. Thank you for listening and sorry it is so long.
            Yesterday is experience, tomorrow is hope... today is getting from one to the other.
            GOAL 1 - 5 days AF
            GOAL 2 - 10 days AF
            GOAL 3 - 20 days AF
            GOAL 4 - 30 days AF
            GOAL 5 - Set new GOALS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ginger...I am glad you came back. This note could have been my own. The blood work was the last straw, I just couldn't keep this up any more. I am also a professional business person, respected in my community, only my hubs knows the hell I was in (because I dragged him down,too). This is the time to do something about it. AL does not have to rule your life anymore. Dig your heels in and when you think about it, shift your thinking immediately and say, NO, HELL NO! AL will NOT run my life not one more day!
              It took about 3 months for my liver readings to come down, so don't expect miracles in 4 weeks....but mine was 25 years of abuse, yours may be considerably less. My liver readings are now normal (and on the low side of normal!!!!) I'm off all BP meds, anti depressants, and my eye sight improved 5 ticks???? I think it's a domino effect, pour poison down throat, the body tries to counteract it....
              Don't wait another day.... start right now...it will NOT get easier tomorrow. NO excuse in the world will make me drink....no birthday party, no vacation, no celebration, NO NOTHING! It was killing me and that is that.
              Your relationship with AL is as good today as it is ever going to get...it will never get better, only worse. Cut the head off the Beast. Today is the day that you are taking your life back! Stay close. Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning everyone!

Can someone guide me on how to go back and pull my posts? I would like to go back and re-read them to get me motivated again.

I am getting back into my same old habits again. I so wish I would not let alcohol control me like it does. Nothing bad has happened, but nothing much good either. I know I have fallen back into my old routine of getting all my "Chores" for the day done and then snuggle with my glasses of wine or the occasional margarita. Which I love but hate at the same time because I don't stop!

I want to be able to stop or moderate. I don't think I am ever going to be able to moderate. I woke up this morning feeling like crap again and prayed and prayed to Him to take this pain away and give me back control of my life.

I won't drink today...it's home I worry about. WHat am I supposed to do? Not go home? I love my home.

Thanks for listening
                Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone,
                  I have been a major lurker on this thread as well as many others. I've been posting on the "anyone up for 30 days AF". I'm trying to broaden my thread horizons now. I am closing in on 30 days. Yay.
                  Gingersnap, you mentioned going to the grocery store for food you didn't need in order to buy wine. I can't tell you how many times I've done that with my children in tow!! Deep down I always knew I was lying to myself and my family. What a waste of time, money and energy. I thank you for that reminder. I find that those types of "little" reminders help keep me on track and take out the romanticizing of al. You can do this. Just get thru today and you will start to feel loads better about yourself. Just worry about today, don't look too far down the road just yet.
                  Byrdlady, you have NO idea how much your posts have helped me! You are such a straight shooter. Thank you soo much!!
                  ishy

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

LG - Did you miss me? LOL

Felipe and Chinchilla, WELCOME! And Gingersnap...welcome back!

Ginger - I have driven TOO many times under the influence, and I'm always amazed that the guy at the liquor store never called the cops on me, but then again, why would he want to have his best customer arrested? It was so stupid and DANGEROUS and I thank the Lord that I didn't hurt myself or anybody else...I'm thankful every day for that!!!

Honey - I was an "at home" drinker too. For starters I am way too CHEAP to go to a bar when I can buy a 12 pack of beer for $12! So ultimately I sat alone and drank, now how pathetic is that? And when I quit, I couldn't exactly avoid home either, and I love my home too. What I did was make some small changes to my drinking "spot"...moved some furniture, moved a lamp, gave the room a different "vibe" if you know what I mean. Anything so that it didn't look like my drinking spot anymore!

Ishy - A huge congrats on your 30 days (almost)...you are doing awesome and you deserve a Woot! :woot:

WHERE IS LAV????

Byrdie - As usual you laid it down for REAL....I love your posts!!! You're so right, there will never be a perfect day to quit....EVER...so do it NOW! You'll NEVER regret quitting.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!

K9
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you all for your support and encouragement....I hate each of you have went thru this, but it gives me hope, when I feel hopeless. I know that I need to make a plan, make some changes....I can sit here all day at work (yes, at work) and have all my vows and resolutions - that I will never again drink (I get off at 4:30)....then about 3:00 or so...I start to have these thoughts..... I am feeling ok, one more bottle won't hurt.....I mean, it is just 1....I will stick to just 1. I can sit here for an hour having a mental argumen and think I have convinced myself I won't stop....then when I drive home...bam, I stop at the drug store, liquor store, grocery store (we have 3 that sell AL) I rotate them, so as to not appear a lush...I have even driven to the next town(s) 15 -20 mi away so as to not be too frequent a customer......I have the MWO book and downloaded the Jason Vale book on my Kindle. I need to get some more L-glut and actually write out a plan.....I wish I had someone I could confide in but I can't bring myself to share this with others....other than here. I feel safe here.
                      Yesterday is experience, tomorrow is hope... today is getting from one to the other.
                      GOAL 1 - 5 days AF
                      GOAL 2 - 10 days AF
                      GOAL 3 - 20 days AF
                      GOAL 4 - 30 days AF
                      GOAL 5 - Set new GOALS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ginger...as we all know, the first 4 hours of a new diet are the easiest...it's when we get hungry that is when the problem begins! Your AL head is going to tell you anything you want to hear to make you stop and buy some. It's like a deceitful lover....anything to get back in, and then BAM...the same old song and dance. Only this time, you aren't just playing for a broken heart, as bad as that is. You are playing for your life. Not to be melodramatic, but if your liver readings are starting to show the wear and tear...you have 2 choices: Live or die. You wouldn't have to go very far on this very site to see people who have chosen the easy path of continued drinking and end up paying the ultimate price. There just comes a time when enough is enough....one more bottle IS going to hurt you. Try and gain control of your mind...that's what it is at this point, a battle over your two minds. Just get this day behind you AF....that's all we need right now. If you got thru the last 15 minutes, you can get thru the next 15. Get all the AL out of your house. Make a vow with yourself that today you won't drink no matter what and no matter who. You can do it. No more excuses to you by you. Byrdie
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Honeysoup....take your mouse and put it over your name, up at the left next to the avatar and left click...you will get a menu that will say 'see all posts by Honeysoup' and click that...that should give you your last 500 posts.
                          Ishy, thank you for the kind words. Let me know when you hit those 30 days, cause you are eligible for the Newbie's Nest Hat! A coveted, hard-won show of 'grit'. Well done! Byrdie
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters
                            I'm back!!
                            Been away with the family in the camper van over the Uk Jubilee weekend. Great 4 day break to the West of Scotland and no drinking so today is day 103!!
                            Haven't had a propper read/ catch up yet but wanted to drop back in to the nest and say hi again
                            Sausage x
                            Day 103

Comment

Newbies Nest

What a blast!!
                              I am sooooo jealous
                              Is it true that King Phillip's in hospital because he sat to long in the boat on the Thames??

What are husbands do endure for us....

Poor man
                              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes it's true that Prince Philip is in hospital and has missed the rest of the jubilee celebrations ( well apparently he watched them on TV in hospital). They have said he has a bladder infection - not sure if it is directly linked to sitting in a boat in the rain for 4 hrs or whatever but I'm sure at 91 it wouldn't have done him a lot of good !!

Comment

Working...
                                X