Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone!

Des- Your post resonated with me on a couple of levels. The books...I get mine from the library, but a lady I go to church with works there, so sometimes it's embarrassing when I check out books about alcoholism and what-not, but whatever...I suck it up and move on! So don't let those cafe people get to you...do what you need to do for YOU! Also, I don't have much support in the "real world"...my parents know I don't drink anymore, but they don't know the DRAMA surrounding it. And the other thing is that I LOVE being at home sober now too...it's gone from my drinking spot to my haven. So thanks for your post and making me realize AGAIN how much we have in common!

Rooni - I've never worked from home. I'm afraid that left to my own devices, I wouldn't get ANY work done! I need to be accountable to others...I guess I'm not much of a self-motivator. LOL I also enjoy the interaction with other people.

Lav and Byrdie, thanks for being so supportive to all of us here...you gals rock!

Will check in later!

K9
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone, the Newbie's nest is the haven for us whether we've been here forever or not. I am on day 3 and feeling very motivated. I love the thought of continued refreshing mornings with a clear head and calm tummy. I love the lack of internal conversations chastising me for the night before and making empty promises for the upcoming evening. It feels free. I have been here for three years this month and feel that the time has come to admit to myself that it's only getting worse; not better. On Sunday night I had my first alcohol related fight with my husband and I think that was the catalyst along with the panicky, heart pounding, sweaty, insomia laden night I passed alone in my bed since he had drunkenly left me to sleep elsewhere in the house. I actually prayed to the universe for strength to stop the insanity.

Will be checking in with all you lovely people on a regular basis.

Have a groovy day.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm doing okay K9... still just feeling kind of overwhelmed with finally facing this problem. I was just saying on another thread that I'm going to be confronted with some social situations this upcoming week that will be difficult. I'm not ready to tell everyone that I have a drinking problem, but I'm not sure how to answer the questions I'm likely to get. Any suggestions?

Comment

Newbies Nest

A good excuse is always "I'm driving" or the old bladder infection routine... on medication for this nasty bladder infection... that usually cuts the conversation short.
          Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
          ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Newbies Nest

Felipe...you are smart to anticipate these interactions ...this is part of the plan that Lav preaches to us about. Get a story and stick to it....there was a thread on here somewhere that talked about what to say. My line is: " Al is like battery acid to my insides....for some reason as I get older, it just burns me up inside". No one wants you to have the runs! So they'll drop it! If you are in the business community, everyone knows that Type A personalities have tummy issues (ulcers and reflux). So they understand how irritating to your GI tract it could be. I've heard others use Detoxing as an excuse. Medications (I don't like this one, you could get quizzed on what you are taking it for). Some on here use the diet and weight issues and empty calorie routine. There's nothing wrong with saying that you are trying to live a healthier lifestyle. You don't have to tell anyone that you have a problem...it is nobody's business. (but ours!!) Just don't go there. One more thing...when you go out with your buddies and the drink orders begin...do not hesitate for a second...or your friends will say...Oh come on...ONE won't hurt you! Give your order quickly and decisively. If you are like me and order water with lime...you will never have to pick up another bar tab! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just sussed out how to get US Netflix in UK :yay: Off to watch The Killing
              You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am so mad at myself...stopped on the way home and bought a bottle of wine last night...so this is Day 1 again (and again). I know tonight I will be ok, have a ballgame at 7:30 for my grandson and never go there drinking. I have made a committment to myself to come here everyday and report-even if not good news. I am going to beat this deamon. There is something about this time of day, an hour before I get off work....that all the thoughts of drinking surface. I keep telling myself if I was allergic to strawberries and knew they would kill me if I ate them, I wouldn't eat them...same thing with AL, but I still drink it. I keep thinking maybe I should look into AA, to have someone, something to reach out to. I did try a theraptist a year and a half ago, but ended up lying to him about my drinking. I have done a lot of research over the years and believe I also have ADHD and this compounds both issues. OK - a day at a time.
                Yesterday is experience, tomorrow is hope... today is getting from one to the other.
                GOAL 1 - 5 days AF
                GOAL 2 - 10 days AF
                GOAL 3 - 20 days AF
                GOAL 4 - 30 days AF
                GOAL 5 - Set new GOALS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi! New here...but same old problem. Was doing really well alcohol free for a few years, then I lost my mother to cancer two years ago and my father eight months later...and now my eight year relationship is ending and I'm moving in a week and a half. Not too bad on the drink this time...moreso when I am PMS-ing (sorry guys, but the girls know what it's like). I have an old prescription for Ativan than I plan to take once I move to get off the drink. I know my stress level will be less once I am out of this relationship.

I tried AA before...no offense, but found a lot of hypocrits and cliques. Not really for me. Works great for some, though so I say if it works for you then do it

Anyway....glad to have found this place.....
                  :new:

Comment

Newbies Nest

FreeFly;1330384 wrote: Just sussed out how to get US Netflix in UK :yay: Off to watch The Killing
                    Yayyyy! Let me know how you like it freefly!:goodjob:

"I like people too much or not at all."
                    Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome chicky. We are all on the same journey, so you will get lots of support here. It's the same for a lot of us, the urge to turn to AL when we face difficult times. Most of us find out that AL did not help at all. I guess that's why you're here and ready to go back to being a non-drinker. You did it before, so you know you can do it again. Stay close to this site, read everything and post often.

Lg

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Loved it LG - totally hooked. Just watched 4 episodes tucked up in bed. Bliss
                        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I do get tired of Linden's smirk, pmsl.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Omg. Having a bad night
                            Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
                            -Alan Cohen

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hang in there Cat Belle. You ok??:l

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the responses and kind welcome everyone. It's really nice to have the support. I hope you guys are having a good day.

I'm having an OK day I FINALY have got the chance to meet with a doctor tomorrow but I'm scared about how it is going to go. I really cannot afford a rehab type thing and am scheduled to go to Hawaii with my family on Monday as well! ugh. I'm realy afraid of the plane ride if i get an axiety panick attack from trying to quit, and all the stress that goes along with this trip is making me feel it is going to be impossible to quit until after I get back.

LibraryGirl I drink at minimum one bottle of wine a day and max two bottles. If I drink one bottle I still feel i need more and if I have 2 I feel ill the next day. I don't drink to have fun at all and i never get 'wasted' - in fact I avoid parties and social events and bars etc. I mainly drink to deal with the anxiety that is probably caused BY the drinking in the first place. This has been the case for at least 2 years with minor variations in volume of drinks a day and a short time (three months?) I went sober last year. Prior to this daily heavy drinking I had been abusing alcohol on and off by binge drinking for maybe 7 years with friends who I would party with a few times a week and then not drink for several days. I'm 29 right now.

The part that really worries me is that over the years it has gone from 'fun party' - to I feel sick and anxious without it and the only way to feel better is to drink again even though I really can't stand it... I hate the smell even! I have tried to cut down to under a bottle day and this is when I start to get anxious and or cloudy in my head and I'll just end up going out and buying wine once again...

I'll meet my new doctor G.P. in the morning maybe she will give me a referal or just take some blood work herself and prescribe me something to take at home? idk the routine because I have not tried to quit with the help of a doctor before...

Comment

Working...
                                X