Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Kradle....I am a huge coffee drinker and I can't tell you how honoured I am that you took the time to post before your coffee!

Anytime sweetie, I'm on my third cup

:l
    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

There's nothing better than iced coffee on hot days!!!!!! Love it! I wish you didn't live so far...you could come and have coffee with Rooni and me!!!!!!
      AB Club Member
      AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Dest - I will have coffee with you anytime! It's crazy how much we have in common. Glad you are feeling better. At least your fall didn't turn into four days like mine :-(

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni...we can do this!!! That bastard beast definitely grew a set of balls and caught us in a moment of weakness...it must be the moon or something...I dunno! But we will throw some hot coffee on those balls and shrivel them up and throw his ass back in the crate!!!!!!! Ha!:boxer:
          AB Club Member
          AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Watch your balls, beast!! LOL

Comment

Newbies Nest

Now this thread is getting good!

LOL...I only read the last page, but I was intrigued by the ball-shriveling going on! You go girls!!!

I am doing a fly-by right now. Will be back later. Keep up the ball-busting!
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9, you are so encouraging to everyone - it helps and gives hope. Px
                Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's 5pm on Friday evening - cocktail hour!! NOT....

I may go out and do something later, but I will not go to a bar and drink poison. My drinking buddies have not called...yet.....but honestly I doubt they will. They tend to do things with their husbands on Friday nights, which is good for me.

Tomorrow morning is weigh-in day at Weight Watchers. I bet I've gained weight. I'm back on track today, but I blew my points earlier this week with that damn alcohol crap. What a waste....

What is everyone else doing tonight?

Comment

Newbies Nest

FinallyDone, I am so happy for you and your 60 days. How right you are about emotions leveling out around the 6 week mark. Between 2 weeks and 6 is a roller coaster! You are making it look easy! Keep posting!
                    Sausage, I am also thrilled for you. You have absolutely done this singlehandedly. I totally get how insensitive others can be, my husband would leave half glasses of wine in the fridge at night for me to stare at every time I opened it. I was offended (#1, that he could LEAVE a half glass, and #2 He dam near left me because I was drinking so much!). I finally told him to keep his wine somewhere else (we have another fridge in the basement). Gosh in the old days, I would have gulped that down and replaced it. Kudos to you for being stronger than that!!! This quit is for you! No more wasting our time drinking/thinking drinking/ or recovering from drinking!!! Here's to US!!!
                    Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have only had one glass of wine since april, and before that only a couple since February. I have not gotten drunk since February, and I have not drank at all in 27 days, yet out of the blue, I have a craving. Last night I was in chat with someone who quit for 2 years and is now modding.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all. Oh destiny...you are so not a loser. You are a fighter and sometimes in a fight you get knocked down, but u get up and keep slugging. That is all that matters. Rooni, Kradle, LG... You guys crack me up. It is 5 here too. I am at my moms house and she is being nutty. Dementia. There is a fully stocked bar about ten feet from me. But, i have a bad headache....i guess that is lucky for me as AL does not sound good to me right now.

But, this am i woke up and felt pretty good and even put on some makeup. My dh even told me i looked nice. That is really encouraging to me. But now i am here near this bar and a kegerator overnight. Just sipping on some tea. Stay strong. Sober. Keep fighting.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sausage, I also sympathize with and salute you! My 2nd ex-husband, who had generally been supportive of my sobriety, happily agreed when I mused about having a glass of wine to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. Thus ending 14 years of sobriety. That was the same day I realized we'd be getting divorced. Though I didn't share that with him at the time. Still it was my choice to drink. In retrospect, he certainly wasn't worth drinking over.

Rooni and Desti - Sending you strong positive vibes for positive choices this weekend. You're definitely worth it.

Everyone
                          - Have a great weekend. I have an unusally busy and social weekend since it's high school graduation here. 3 parties, including one at my house, and wine at all, including mine. But I feel strong. Wish me luck.

And very excited to be seeing a premier of a Viggo Mortensen movie tonight that he'll be introducing in person and taking questions about afterward! Best of all, my son's home for a week. He's so sweet and I'm so happy to see him. Life feels good. I'm definitely grateful I got this sober thing going over a month ago so I can be here now, wholly and happy, for him. I never would have imagined I'd be feeling this wonderful. Hopeful. Content. But still fat, although that's slowly coming off, too.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
                          ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
                          :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tipplerette - Ha, thought I was being so original with my Lao-Tzu quote. I'll change mine. But that's a great one.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                            ? Lao-Tzu
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
                            ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
                            :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

Well, I'd say I had my most significant craving so far (day 10 today - whoo!) last night. It was the start of the long weekend and I always find Friday evenings tempting as it is. That 'I want SOMETHING' tension really kicked in hard. You know, just that craving to alter my headspace and get out of it.

A friend was coming over for dinner and TV who I normally drink with but who has been supportive of my not drinking, while simultaneously not making a huge deal out of it and asked if she should bring a bottle of wine. I really struggled but ultimately texted and said "I'm not drinking but if you want to feel free" and made up my mind that I wouldn't drink even if she DID bring some - but she didn't.

(Note: Roonie, that is how a true friend should be. I know this friend must miss me drinking with her - as she really likes her wine too and is new to the city so I'm one of her only friends here - yet she has been nothing but supportive and not made me feel weird or bad about it ONE BIT - for which I value her all the more unlike those other supposed "friends" we can lose.)

Anyway.

So I didn't drink. I made a totally delicious (if I do say so myself Moroccan beef braise with cous cous and we drank soda water and tea and watched Mad Men and ate ice cream instead. (A bit off the diet but hey, I've been so good this week and one has to have some treats.)

SAUSAGE, your latest posts moved me to reread your story thread (I've read it before in the past). I really relate to you - although our lives sound very different - and I really admire you and am inspired by you. I really want to see you succeed here long term. Just because your husband can quit for a month doesn't mean he's not an alcoholic. Lots of alcoholics can quit for periods. The fact he then *needs* to drink every day and can't support you despite being a doctor (FFS!!) and seeing how much you've struggled with this... well, that says it all really. You not only help yourself being here, you help others. Your list of why you'd still stay alcohol free even if it did you no harm was just what I needed to read last night when craving and that little voice inside saying 'It's the long weekend... would a bit of wine *really* be so bad". All your reasons resonated with me - especially the anxiety and depression and wanting more out of life.

Once again it amazes me how we can be from all over the world, with different cultures and lifestyles and no doubt religious and political beliefs and yet find so many commonalities and shared support here. Truly this is a place where there's strength in numbers. Sausage I'm glad the sense of people here rooting for you helps keep you strong.

I also liked your post in your story thread at six months about what you'd achieved - and a scary reminder that even when feeling strong one can't get complacent. When you lost all that weight then... obviously you were exercising more but were you also dieting? Or was it mainly the not drinking + exercise?

FinallyDone
                              - Your 60 days is an inspiration! And your very sweet posts :h I hear you about the emotions. I've been having all this yucky stuff about my ex husband and relationships whirling around in my head. *sighs*

Dest and Roon
                              , sorry to hear about your recent lapses, been there, but good on you for getting back in the saddle. Now start riding ladies!

SAUSAGE
                              ... just as another reminder.... here are your words after six months AF... Also, I COMPLETELY agree with you that the gratitude vs deprivation thinking is probably the ultimate key. I'm still struggling with that a bit but working on it...

>I have been sober for 6 months
                              I have lost 26lbs in weight - I can fit into my wedding dress, and clothes I wore in my 20's
                              I am no longer on antidepressants.
                              I have more time for my family and am more patient with them
                              I feel so much better, so much more energy, better skin - everyone compliments me on how well I look
                              I am exercising again, running, swimming, the gym, it feels so good and I want to get really fit and do one more marathon one day.
                              I am no longer wasting my evenings in a drunken stupor in front of the TV, unable to recall what I watched anyway, - I have new hobbies and interests and have taken up old ones again.
                              I've made new on line friends, with the same common goal as me
                              MWO has taught me to build a new life for myself that doesnt' have room for alcohol

It's not easy - I still struggle, I still rely on people here, I am very aware, I'm only one drink away from relapse - and i've learned of many people who've relapsed after months, years of sobriety so I know I can never be complacent.

I believe I stopped drinking just in time, and I want to thank everyone here for all their support as I continue on my journey.>>>

Please keep journaling your story. It is really helping me and I'm sure many others. :l

LIlly xo

Comment

Newbies Nest

LillyE;1331817 wrote:

A friend was coming over for dinner and TV who I normally drink with but who has been supportive of my not drinking, while simultaneously not making a huge deal out of it and asked if she should bring a bottle of wine. I really struggled but ultimately texted and said "I'm not drinking but if you want to feel free" and made up my mind that I wouldn't drink even if she DID bring some - but she didn't.
                                This has made me cry. What a truly good friend to not judge you and to treat you like an adult who can make her own choices but then still pay attention to what is going to be best for you and what you want and need in you life to be healthy...

Comment

Working...
                                X