Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Everybody!! Thank you, Byrdie! Yes at day 32 now, yee ha!!

I read all your posts with interest and also with that constant comparison of myself to you. Lily thanks for sharing your "shameful" story, although you know we've all been there. I was also thinking about what rockbottom said about never getting enough. I would actually be angry with myself for getting too drunk to continue enjoying my buzz, but I didn't want to stop drinking so I'd keep on till I couldn't walk or talk sometimes...Just one more glass please, I don't want to go to bed! LOL, it's actually a lot like toddler thinking, the me, me, me type thoughts, and again, again, again!!!

So, it's nearing 7 pm here, and I am settling in for the evening. Thinking of cooking a pot of fresh butter beans (like lima beans, but not dried, and also they're green). I still have some pork loin left over from last night.

Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks again Monique for sharing your story, and Byrdie for always saying the right thing.:l

Lg

P.S. K9 where have you been girl?

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lilly I found it! the originator of your avatar.

If anyone needs a healthy dose of LOL dark humor, check this out (it had me in tears):

Hyperbole and a half

Have a good evening everyone.

LG
      - Woo hoo on 30+ days. Big stuff.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
      ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
      :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Monique, yes, Hyperbole and a Half! I love Allie Brosh so much - she kills me. I love them all though 'How a Fish Almost Destroyed My Childhood' has to be one of my all-time favourites. That most recent post on depression was one of her bravest and most poignant yet. I'm sad she hasn't updated in so long and I wonder why. I certainly hope depression hasn't gotten the best of her.

That avatar is meant as a bit of a tongue-in-cheek piss take of the fact that in spite of all this seriousness and struggle here, well, it could be so much worse. There's a great quote here somewhere - I think in one of the Toolbox comments - about being glad your problem is so relatively simply solved. We all know it's by no means simple but I still like that act of trying to put it in perspective and be grateful. Where we're all at right now is a hell of a lot more comfortable than, say, dying of cirrhosis slowly, however horribly hard it may feel at time. Perspective is a good thing.

akaMonique;1334080 wrote: Lilly - Thanks for sharing your "shameful" secret. Although that's a fairly normal chapter in my book. And please don't take my ramblings as indicative of my writing .. semi-colons or no. Here I just let it out. Hence the lack of editing and excessive length of my posts..

Ha. I feel exactly the same way. This is in part why my posts are always so damn verbose. Well, that and being in the southern hemisphere, so I read all of the posts of the day in one go and have to catch up with everyone at once, which is a shame but oh well. We don't have any other down underers here, do we?

Thank you Rock Bottom
        . I was journalling these morning about all these thoughts and doubts I have about committing to sobriety long-term and then made myself step back and go 'you just have to focus on 30 days for now - that's all'. See if you can do the same and let's get there together

I also agree with what you and Library Girl
        have said re getting drunk and it actually not being that satisfying, except perhaps in a 'numb everything out' kind of way. As you can all no doubt relate to, my main experience of it these days is just MORE - just wanting more, never being satisfied. It's hardly like a case of having one or two, catching a buzz and settling back and enjoying it. It's hard to even enjoy the buzz when you're just always craving for that MORE.

I remember one night when I wasn't drinking and I went to an art gallery event with free booze. I realised that I was in fact sooo much more relaxed - as had I been drinking my first thought would have been to high tail it to the bar, get a free drink, down that, get another, how many could you fit in in that time and with the crowd? Instead I felt so relaxed and happy that night - just enjoying hanging out with my friend and actually viewing the art. That was a digression but, yes, I think it's great to realise that a lot of the enjoyment is an illusion and even those times you are genuinely enjoying being drunk - and there still are some, for me anyway - there is all the misery that comes after that invariably outweighs it. These are all important thing to focus on I think.

Happy day/night all,

Lilly x

Comment

Newbies Nest

callavari, there is no procedure, just post. Welcome.

Hi there Nesties! Thursday morning and I can do this! After today, my weekend starts. Hee hee, love, love love these long weekends!

:sup: my people?

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

jennykeith7;1334345 wrote: Hi, I am newbe here and I am very excited to be a great part of this community. Myself Jenny Keith, I am from California.
            :busted::spam:

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dam. How do you know it's SPAM?
              Welcome Callavari. LB's right, just jump on in. What brings you our way? You don't have to stand up and tell us stuff like in the movies...but I would bet my lunch money that we all share the same sad story. Life has just gotten out of hand and AL is at the controls. Pull up a twig...I would suggest you read back a few weeks if you have time to see who WE are and then just join in. We have lots of success here in this little place. Welcome. Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everybody!
                Sorry I went AWOL for a few days...my computer is doing some funky things! I'm having trouble logging in, and my posts aren't posting...then all of a sudden they pop up...it's annoying! I'll have to read back about 20 pages to catch up...but I just wanted to say "HI" and let you all know I'm still here!!!
                LG - You go girlfriend with your 32 days! And please stop talking about all the food you cook, it's making me hungry. LOL Totally kidding, please keep it up, I like to know someone out there is cooking REAL food and not eating Hot Pockets everday (me). Yes Lav, I know, I know...I NEED to eat better! LOL
                Everyone have a great day and I'll be back later!
                K9
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

LB, 32 Days!

Okay heres' the 3 :yay::yay::yay:
                  And here's the 2 :yay::yay:

So excited for you, Babe. Over the Month Mark. That's a toughie.

Dinner's on me...Cheese Pizza and Asparagus...my kid's favorite.
                  Didn't want K9 to get to hungry at work LOL

Many Hugs
                  :l
                  On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Does anyone have any advice on coping with holidays? I'm not going until August but if I have to order medication, I want to get it done soon. I saw someone (senior member - sorry can't remember who) takes Antabuse while away & that sounds like a good plan to me. Any other suggestions? What works / dosen't work for you.

:thanks:
                    Teezah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi teezah,
                      Good that you are thinking ahead but using medication such as Antabuse really should be a last resort. How about getting the next 6-8 weeks under your belt totally AF?!
                      Each day you go without AL will strengthen your resolve ~ if that's what you really want.
                      Read the tool box, get some ideas to help formulate a plan for an AF vacation. I know for me it was much easier than I thought. Totally enjoyed an AF & smoke free trip shortly after both of my quits
                      You can do it too!
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you Kradle! Yeah, here at 30+ again... Hey, where is Dest. and Rooni?! They have been AWOL the past few days. Hmmm

Teezah, the person you might be thinking of is K9. She could tell you a lot about Antabuse. However, as Lav said, try and do it without meds if possible. I have been quit for over 30 days, and I think I could go on vacation without drinking, but I don't know for sure.

Hi Lav! Hope you're having a great day!

Lg

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

LibraryGirl;1334664 wrote: Thank you Kradle! Yeah, here at 30+ again... Hey, where is Dest. and Rooni?! They have been AWOL the past few days. Hmmm
                          I'm here!! But I have no idea where Dest is. I sent her a PM but no response. Hope she is OK....

As I posted earlier, I screwed up Monday and Tuesday, but I'm back on track now - Day 2. I am 100% completely avoiding drinking friends and situations. I'm basically pouring myself into work right now. I've got a weekend planned with my dad for Fathers Day, so I won't be drinking. And then Monday starts my fitness boot camp, and I KNOW I can't drink if I want to be successful with that.

Get this....

One of my drinking buddies signed up for the boot camp with me this week. I was really irritated since my plan is not to hang around her for a while (if ever again). I sent her a text message this morning and told her I would be going to one of the other locations for my boot camp so I could be closer to a Starbucks. She responded with something pissy. Who cares.....

I'd rather her be mad at me than be drunk and NOT have her mad at me.

I really hope Dest is OK. Dest, if you have slipped and are reading this, please check in with us. I think everyone here will completely understand.....I messed up this week, probably worse than you, and I'm back....

Anyway, off to make some gumbo. Gonna walk on my treadmill tonight, read, and get a good night's sleep!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gumbo sounds good Rooni
                            Stick to your plan - it sounds good!

LG, CONGRATS on your 30+ AF days :wd:

It is true that your resolve becomes stronger as time passes BUT keeping your commitment has to be your focus! That's the reason (one of them) that I continue to come to MWO each & every day. It would be too easy & just plain stupid for me to lose my focus now.

Have a great evening all!
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

teezah;1334617 wrote: Does anyone have any advice on coping with holidays? I'm not going until August but if I have to order medication, I want to get it done soon. I saw someone (senior member - sorry can't remember who) takes Antabuse while away & that sounds like a good plan to me. Any other suggestions? What works / dosen't work for you.

:thanks:
                              'Holiday Tip (RPM Method)'. This is a thread started by Supercrew. Great reading. Check it out Teezah. Sorry I don't know how to do links.
                              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...hod-53682.html

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Working...
                                X