Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

not new just back to try again!

I have been trying to stop for over a year now. Every time I try to just stop, I make it a few days and start again. recently found an article on tapering off. I usually drink 6 shots of rum a day. the article says to drop 10% a day so you are AF in 10 days without going through withdraw. In the meantime I started taking L-glut 1000 mg every 2 hours. I will let you guys know if this works. BTW the article also talked about Gaba you are not suppose to take it while you are drinking so I will add this supplement after the 10 days. wish me luck!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all. Beautiful morning here. It feels so wonderful not to be hungover! And yes, kradle, i can get hungover from one glass of wine. Part of why i am here. So much going on here. I think deep down i am probably not 100 percent committed. There is a lurking idea that pops up.....some day in the future you will be able to take a drink. Whatever. I am so much ahead of where i was just one month ago. I think every success i have builds on the previous success. It is an individual thing and one person's reality might be different. But we are all on the same path and here for each other.

Father's day here. I let dh stay in bed and i took dumb and dumber (the dogs) out for a walk. I am thinking about my dad...he passed away 13 years ago. He was an incredible man. I miss him so much. He would be so proud of me struggling here to do the right thing. He was my biggest fan.

It has been hard to get on here much with too many kids here looking over my shoulder at every minute. No privacy...i have resorted to taking my ipad into the bathroom and locking the door. Lol.

Happy Father's day to all the dads. And a sober wonderful sunday to the rest!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesties! So many thoughts today on this Father's Day.

My father passed away in September of 2010. I was just months into being separated, and had been nursing my own pain with alcohol and had not been visiting regularly. I thank god I did go to see him just days before he passed away in the hospital. He was 88 years old and lived a long, fruitful life. If I could be half of the person he was I would consider myself successful. I so miss his wise advice. I wish I could tell him that I quit AL, and I know he would be proud of me and I know he would have much to say. All of it from experience, and all of it useful and loving. I miss you Daddy.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day, and celebrate your loved ones.:l

Lg

"I like people too much or not at all."
        Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Sunday & Father's Day!

Just want to welcome mby & say you sound like you have a good plan in place. Wishing you the best & please let us know how you are doing

Expecting 100 degree temps this week - not so great for my garden. I've harvested all my broccoli, blanched & froze some, the rest is in the fridge to force on my kids when they visit :H
          Now I need to go out & do the same with my brussel sprouts. I would NOT be doing any of this if I was still drinking ~ trust me

Have a great AF day!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Lav! I wish I had started a garden this year! I want to do one soon. I grew up with almost every vegetable you can imagine planted in our two acre garden. I always said I wouldn't have one of my own, lol, which was from the laziness of being a child.

How do you cook your brussell sprouts? The last ones I cooked I put in a bowl, after washing and all, and tossed with olive oil and sea salt and roasted them at 400 in the oven. When they came out I sprinkled them with balsamic vinegar, and boy were they delicious! some of the extra leaves fell off and tasted like chips! My bf couldn't get enough.

I'll check in later.

Lg

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi LibraryGirl. Im going to have to steal your receipe for the brussell sprouts. They are one of favorites and that sounds really good!!! How long did you roast them for??
              :wings:Every day is another day to set things right!! Make today a new beginning, the first day of the rest of your life!:wings:

Goals: to stay AF and to start to incorporate some sort of exercise into my daily routine!!!:wings:

Comment

Newbies Nest

New here, posted once before, and planned on getting out of the vicious cycle, but started drinking again-failed attempt!! and of course went back to the misery.

I'm in college, it started out as a binge and partying on the weekends but without any negative consequences. recently things got out of hand to where i planned schoolwork around drinking and it hurt my GPA. talk about a rough time I would drink probably 6-8 beers every night for 5 months, and up to 16 beers on weekend nights. This is probably nothing compared to some, but I'm glad I'm quitting

No withdrawal symptoms so far, 1st and 2nd day had some shakes but they went away on the 3rd day.

apparently my roommates are having friends over to drink tonight...uggh gonna have to resist. I'm NOT going to touch anything

Good day everyone

Comment

Newbies Nest

Amy and Fresh, so glad to see you taking the steps towards an EASIER, less chaotic life! Fresh, hang in there you are doing great! Get yourself to day 3 and you will find clearer thinking all around. That's when you are operating on your own power, all the AL is out of your system. The first couple weeks are a little odd, I had flu like symptoms...tired and achy, but no runny nose or the like...but each day that passes you will feel better and better. We do not have to have AL to live, there were people even way back when I went to college that never drank and fit in just fine. I'm so glad you found us....you will never regret your choice to stay sober!!!
                  Happy Father's Day to all, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

rooniferd;1336100 wrote: Day 5, and heading to my hometown to celebrate Fathers Day with my dad. My brother, sister, and niece will be there too. I was thinking back to previous Fathers Days, one in particular, when I was so hungover that I could barely function. My dad insisted that the server at the restaurant snap our picture, and he used that picture as the wallpaper on his computer desktop for a long time. Every time I went home to visit, there was that picture - reminding me of that awful day. I look bloated, my face is red, and the misery is just so obvious. How horrible.
                    Rooni, I have a picture like that (ON MY DRIVER'S LICENSE!!!!):H:H:H Man I hate showing that thing.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Library girl- that's what I do too with Brussel sprouts- they are so delicious like that!
                      45 days AF 24/11/11 - Jan 2012.
                      New day 1- 9 January !
                      Back again 27 May 2012 - day 1

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all. I've been a lurker for several years and finally decided it was time to post.

I'm 42 and have been a problem drinker for a good 20 years. There are tendencies toward alcohol abuse in my family. I always remember my dad with a drink in his hand. Sadly, I've perpetuated that for my children.

I found MWO several years ago. Took topa for roughly 2 years. It helped reduce my drinking, but I wasn't able to get to AF. For a day, yes, but no more. Finally tapered off topa, was med-free for a month. My drinking escalated. I'm taking baclofen now. Currently at 80mg and working through the side effects. Soooooo sleepy and kinda goofy. :nutso: I'm still drinking and the cravings for alcohol continue, but it's more manageable.

It's time to kick this monster to the curb. I'm ready to be in control of my life - instead of alcohol controlling me. :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey guys, im back and caved in to it, been to ashamed to write. i know weve all been there at day 1 again and again. last couple times ive drank ive been okay ( at least thats how ive tried to rationalize it to myslef) hey as long as im okay and dont drink too much right? ......right.....i know im just gambling and soon enough ill be right back there...saying " how could i be so stupid....how can i give in till im like this again?" i know its one day at a time...but when will it be enough? i know if i continue im gonna fall right back into the same problems. i see im on the path to accepting my problem....i dont want to do that but its getting harder and harder to face you guys. I feel like i failing...and slipping away fast. any advice?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well guys, weirdly, after a whole weekend of not drinking at the gig, out for dinner etc I went to this event with a friend on Sunday eve, where she drank 3 glasses of wine and I had diet coke. Then, we went back to her place for tea and I ended up drinking in a big way. As in a couldn't-work-today way.

Sigh.

I'm not going to beat myself up here and have been trying not to today after having that whole conversation here the other day but I do feel sad and disappointed. I also feel depressed about resetting my counter to zero. I thought about just carrying on but it would feel too dishonest. So I guess I have to take my own advice and look at why I did and what's lacking.

It pains me that I've never managed even 30 days (28 was my longest) when that's really a drop in the bucket of longterm sobriety. It does seem to be my pattern to go two to three weeks and then drink. I think I start to feel better, forget why I am doing this, decide I'm overreacting, and drink again. Monique, I think I likewise suffer from the high bottom problem. NO ONE in my life thinks I need to quit - admittedly no one has seen ALL my drinking at close proximity as I live alone - except one friend who is an alcoholic, been to rehab, went sober for 3 years then relapsed and we used to be drinking buddies so she knows how I can drink and we've talked about it all a lot. Everyone else is like 'Oh you're fine - just moderate - blah blah'.

I think Byrdie was painfully right in saying the definition of an alcoholic is a persistant desire to quit but being unable to and then thinking you can moderate.

Now I find myself thinking 'maybe I should be mostly sober and have big nights just now and then' but deep down I know that's crazy and just my inner addict talking. I feel better when I don't drink. I cannot moderate. I go over board when I do drink and feel like shit for days afterwards. Yet, I still can't seem to let go of it 100%. I don't know what it's going to take. I don't want to be stuck in the same rut a year from now. Maybe I should take Monique's advice - just accept it and give into it for now - but that strikes me as a dangerous path too.

Damn. I was feeling so good and determined this time too.

Welcome to you newbies. You'll find great support here.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rockbottom, just saw your post. My advice? Do what I'm doing and start over. Work on strengthening your resolve through websites, books and therapy. Is rehab an option? (Forgive me if I've asked this before and you've answered - my brain is foggy today due to above.) What's it going to take? Do you REALLY want to be done with it. For me I guess the answer is no, not yet, but damn it I wish it were.

I hope others will be able to offer better advice.

Also, read back our posts about lapsing and coming back here. There's no need to feel ashamed or apologise. The worst thing you could do is let that make you just run away from here and into your drinking. There's no judgement here - just help. Keep coming back.

Comment

Newbies Nest

LillyE, im so glad your on. I really dont think im ready to give it up, although i wish i were as you said. The night always starts off so good. thinking ive got this under control. I can do this. I know I cant. Ive said that for years. As much as I say we can do this. I dont know if I can most of the time. what kills me the most is that im smart. I know I can beat this like many have. Im just making up excuses so I can go back to the bottle. Today i got some bad news and thought..."well i just need to drink...numb it all...i deserve that....i shouldnt have to deal with this pain" i knowits not right. I just dont know whats excuses or whats me or my real feelings anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X