X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

:l Byrdie...:applaud:
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

AMEN sistah Byrdie :H :H
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Brydie - Thanks so very much. You are kind to connect with us in great detail. You are correct in every way. 6 more months of this sounds like Hell. Never really thought about it that way. I was not aware of the hat btw!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi there, Nesters,

Some reading on other threads has prompted me to peek my head into your thread.

Reading back some, it looks like a very good place to land.

I love your post Byrdie.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well Hello! I'm a little late today. I trust everyone is doing well. Once again, Byrdie, you posted some powerful stuff!! Excellent.

I've had a pretty good day...at work since 8 and it's nearing 4 pm...Roll on 5 o'clock!:H Thinking about what I might cook for dinner.

I've read through the posts and I didn't miss anyone, but I don't feel like I can add anything helpful beyond what Byrdie has said. Good luck to everyone, and stay the course.

Lg

"I like people too much or not at all."
            Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well the evening hours are always the toughest of course. Feeling fairly settled at the moment so I hope to be able to put a day two smile by my name in the morning. Should be able to stay fairly busy, but some family stress stuff tends to be a tough trigger normally.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gdog,

When the trigger hits, try this little trick:

Set a timer for 30 minutes and do something while the time ticks down.

Once the timer goes off, if you still want a drink, set it again for 30 minutes and repeat.

I know this sounds silly, but you would be surprised how well a 30 minute time out works!!

Typically I find myself wondering what the timer was for. :H:H

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Newbies Nest

That's a great tip Cindi - jump in here anytime, your presence is appreciated

Gdog, distraction was the best thing for me!
                  When I first arrived at MWO someone told me when my thoughts turn to drinking - stop whatever I was doing & go do something completely different. It worked!!!

Here's what's keeping me distracted these days.....my 17 week old beagle-mix pup
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

lavande, he is so cute. And I have a little princess in the next room who is taking a late afternoon nap. I should carry her picture and look at it.

whenever the urge strikes. And then set the timer. I am using every tool out there....keep um coming.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters
                      Just returned from 4 days away for a conference and dinner and to catch up with friends.
                      I didn't drink so today is day 116.
                      It wasn't too hard, most times when I was offered a drink I just said I'd like a cup of tea.. After the conference dinner I'd offered to drive my friend home so I wouldn't be tempted, so that wasn't too difficult. On the last night I met a third friend who was a bit pushy to share a bottle of champagne with me to celebrate meeting up - hadn't seen her for 3 yrs. for a split second I was really temptd but then I fast forwarded how angry with myself I'd be in the morning, so I said very definitely and very quickly " actually I don't drink anymore" . She looked a little surprised but didn't push it. I have found that if you sound determined and definite in a "no messing about" voice, people are less likely to try and pursuade you.

At the airport on the way home I bought myself an Eco watch - driven by solar power, as a present to myself for passing 100 days - it cost less than the price of 2 weeks alcohol when I was drinking daily. Every time I check the time it will remind me how far I've come.i intend to buy myself another sobriety gift at 258 days - when I pass my all time AF record and then at each sobriety anniversary.

Keep going, it is worth it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sausage,

:goodjob:!!! I like the idea of a watch as a reward. A simple reminder every time you look at it how far you have come and what a disappointment to have to rewind.

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Newbies Nest

Do you ever get tired of hearing 'well done Sausage?' ehehehe! 116 days is crazy good! I'm so proud of you! In 5 days you will be 1/3 of a year sober!! Can you believe? Some ways it drags by and then other ways it flies.
                          That timer thing IS a great tip Cinders! I'll tell you, just ANYTHING to get your mind out of that loop it gets in. Using a timer might have been easier on my thighs than the M&M's I constantly popped. Whatever works!!! I also had a supply of Charms blow pops. Since it's a sucker, you HAVE to pay attention to it. First, it is wonderfully sweet so your mouth is happy. Second, you have to hold it and attend to it. Then there's gum in the middle which is a challenge to get off the stick and chew without looking like a cow. The whole thing lasts about 15 minutes, which was enough to get my mind out of the rabbit hole.
                          I know I've missed at least 2 newbies who flew in and I can't go backwards or I will lose my post!! Just stick close to us and holler if you feel wobbly. We will pass you the butt velcro to attach yourself into the nest safely.
                          Lav, what is your new baby's name??? What a cutie...hope he likes chickens! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cinders -
                            Sounds good. I like the time out, and I like the blow pops idea from Byrdlady. Going to go get some immediately. Something for the mouth.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, this is so hard - after 68 days AF, I have messed up. Last night and tonight. I know better! No excuses! Want to get right back. I usually run away......will check in tomorrow. Can't face myself right now....
                              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

That's my girl Matilda!!!!
                                She is learning to play nicely with my chickens :H

Sausage, I like idea idea of a watch to mark your AF time, great idea

Developing a true sense of gratitude for every sober minute, hour & day helps a lot too
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X