Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hey Dest! How do you make your iced coffee?? Need instructions fast, lol.:H

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Had to jump in to welcome Fin ~ glad you found us!

Finallydone - CONGRATS ON YOUR 90 AF DAYS :yay:
      I am very happy for you. You must be feeling great, proud too

Welcome back to a few oldies but goodies!
      The Nest is always the perfect place, very comfortable here
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bellegirl, Lolab and Minstar, thanks for sharing and YES it is really important to hear that you can struggle and have starts and restarts and still get there eventually.

FinallyDone, well done on 90 days! That's terrific. Please post when you hit 100!

Welcome Fin :welcome: Glad you're here. And I can relate re the smoking and quitting with the help of an online forum - me too. I was going to say tell us more about you but it was great to see that in your Boot Camp post. Interestingly, I also found that after quitting smoking (20+ year habit) my drinking, already heavy, suddenly shot up and felt like it was spiraling out of control, and with it anxiety and depression. My therapist said that's not uncommon - you quit one addiction and another rushes in to take it's place. Have you found your way to the Tool Box yet? https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Ok, I read on after writing this and saw LG pointed you to it. For future reference it's at the top of the Monthly Abstinence thread.

Whisper
        , you said "However, I do occasionally want to enjoy a glass of wine or champagne or even sip some expensive ass scotch. It's definitely going to be a process though?"

I think we all want that. The more I read here the more I doubt it's likely for people with real drinking problems or we wouldn't be here in the first place. But you're right, it is a process, whether that's getting to that place you can or to the place of realizing you can't. I still hold that fantasy in my head too but increasingly I think it's unrealistic though a BIG part of me still hopes perhaps it's not. And it seems to me that periods AF lead to MORE rather than LESS drinking when I resume - and that seems common. At the same time, the more I go AF the more I want to be AF, so that's the flip side of that coin.

But for now, I'd say to both you and Fin, how about we all focus on 30 days for now and see how we feel thereafter? I personally am alarmed I've not yet made it to 30 days in my trying to quit attempts so that'd be a first for me at least.

BOOT CAMPERS!!

Welcome Dest, Fin, Kradle, Windy, and whoever else is joining in So happy to share this journey with you all.

Interesting, looks like a few of us have the same start date, the 18th, so that's helpful! Roll on July 18th AF.

I think I already said I threw the whole 'boot camp' idea out there kind of randomly but I was thinking about what it means. To me, when I think of a boot camp I think of being a little tough on yourself as far as pushing yourself to do something that you know is going to be a bit hard but ultimately worthwhile. Not letting yourself make excuses and doing whatever it takes. I think all of those things apply to going 30 days AF for all of us and I know I, for one, am going to feel more accountable to get there - and not make excuses to 'slip' again - knowing we're in it together.

So well done people! Let's get going! I want to see daily posts from all of you. *Puts on her bossy hat*
        :goodjob:

Lilly

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Destiney,
          Sorry to sound dumb and lots to resond t on this great thread but so so tired.
          All day at the beach with class party!

What is this Boot Camp? I heard people posting about it but thought it was somthing at the gym up the road. I take that's NOT what it is!

Can you tell me what it is and how to set up joining. I might try....
          I've been reading the book ' moments of clarity ' it's making me think about a lot of things in my life quit deeply...and then there's Matt....
          Anyway, thanks in advance

Hugs,
          :l
          On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
          *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1338640 wrote: Good evening Nesters,

Had to jump in to welcome Fin ~ glad you found us!

Finallydone - CONGRATS ON YOUR 90 AF DAYS :yay:
            I am very happy for you. You must be feeling great, proud too

Welcome back to a few oldies but goodies!
            The Nest is always the perfect place, very comfortable here
            Thank you! I feel GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT as Tony the Tiger would say!
            Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Newbies Nest

THANK YOU EVERYONE in the NEST for your pleasant and very warming thoughts on me hitting 90 days! I have done it many times before...geez I have even hit 120 days before only to fall flat on my face. LITTERALY! But I am very determined to beat back this curse called AL and learn as I go along. I think the one thing different is that I just am sick and tired of failing to it. I finally resolved myself inside that I have ZERO control over AL and I just know that mind game of controlling it and or thinking it will be different this time has been extinguished in many ways. I know now more than ever I have no control when I start drinking and I had how I feel and where my life goes. My life is now heading in the direction that it should be going in without AL. The temptation is there everyday. Heck last friday after work the guys I work with went out for beers at the bar and a whole lot of me wanted just because I wanted to fit in with the guys. I just said no I have things at home I need to do and politely declined. It was the best thing I ever did. If I would have drank that first beer friday night I would have been laying in bathroom floor monday morning wondering what the $(%&& happened. Maybe I finally getting it here. So thankful today for this place and everyone here who I learn soo much from. THANK YOU ALL! :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh Lilly
                THERE it is!! The whole explanation. I think I xcross posted that. Sory Destiny I don't know how I missed that except I'm pooped

FD 90 days! Wow! If we do 30 day boot camp you can sit out for 3 months
                I can't imagine 90 days which is strange as I went 9 months with 2 pregnancies.

I think I need a team of analysts for that one :H
                Congrats to you. If I get 30 days I will reward myself with a professional massage so that means you get to get three .

Good luck with that!
                :h
                Hugs,
                :l
                On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kradle123;1338175 wrote: Does any one know know why I am eating like there's no tomorrow ?

And I am completely unmotivated ...boy howdy this is so much fucking fun!

Sorry, wrong thread ...
                  Ohhh Kradle! Eating like crazy is soo normal when you stop drinking...believe me...I am eating like there isn't enough food in the world right now. HaHa!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Destiniey;1338184 wrote: LMAO Kradle....Tell me about it...I am eating like crazy....weird stuff though...if I didn't now any better I would think I was prego.....but I have been sleeping in the guest room so that's not the case! Ha! Are you going to do the 30 day boot camp that LillyE is starting? I am totally on board and I am hoping that this time is IT! I was tempted to drink earlier but I decided to go out and give my horses a bath. After my 4th horse I was hot, sweaty, exhausted and had no desire to drink anyting but ice cold water! Have a great night and I am glad to see that you are still AF.

FinallyDone....I am heading to Minnesota in October. My brother lives there and he goes all out for halloween and he wants me to come and help him with his haunted house this year!

Monique....Holy crap girl....39 days....I am so proud of you!!!!!
                    Oh wow that is really cool! My parents go all out for halloween as well!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1338615 wrote: Awesome...sounds good, Destiniey. I like your 30-day goal too. It's sort of a reboot. Is that your thinking? I'm struggling a bit with how long I should try and go, or if I should quit for good.
                      Hi Fin! Welcome aboard! :welcome:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Kradle! Wow....all day at the beach..I am totally jealous!!!!!!!!! It's not a stupid question....it's hard to keep track of whats going on on all these threads! OK...so LillyE came up with a great idea after a bunch of us fell out of the nest. It's a "virtual" boot camp...whoever joins makes a committment to try and go 30 days AF. LillyE had posted some questions for us to answer so that everyone knows the struggles and goals of others in Boot Camp. I think the questions are great because it kind of makes you make a plan. I think this will give me the motivation I need. I am willing to try anything! Ha!

FinallyDone.....Congrats on 90 days!!!!! That is sooooooooooooooo awesome!
                        AB Club Member
                        AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

LG....Hey you!!!!!! It's really easy. I brew my coffee like I normally do (I like it strong) and then I fill a glass with ice and pour the coffee over. I add the "Skinny" Caramel Mochiatto cream to it and some sugar free caramel syrup. Yummy...and...best part....NO FAT!!!!!!!! Gotta love it!!!! Any of the creamers work with it..I just love caramel. Sometimes I add some fat free Redi Whip and drizzle caramel over the top!
                          AB Club Member
                          AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone - just a bit worried about LillyE's workload -she has a lot on her plate! Hope i'm not being out of line here, as I haven't yet decided if I am ready to commit to 30 days, but be assured I am seriously considering it.

I propose each boot camper takes a day to be boot camp manager - or camp commandant, if you like ? Just to welcome new members, celebrate milestones, make the refreshments, do the dusting etc.
                            Teezah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Teezah.....you are doing great and really racking up the days!!!!!!! I also agree with you....I think we should take turns keeping the boot camp running...although I am hoping that I never get toilet duty! Ha!
                              AB Club Member
                              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kradle123 & Byrdlady,
                                Your advice is GREAT and I absolutely needed to hear it. This just gives me so much more confidence. I am turning down some social things that make me nervous and will go to one small gathering with close, safe friends and my husband will be there. Leaving early is a great idea too. In the past we have always been the last to leave every party. That is just dangerous.
                                Butterbean

Start date: Sunday June 17, 2012
                                30 days AF, DONE!
                                Next goal, stay dry!

Comment

Working...
                                X