Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

lolab;1340733 wrote: Hello!! I love the roll call...you all are doing great...and lifechange you're right about quoting Byrdie? at 9 months tomorrow - this is still a HUGE learning experience. Full of temptations.

I am having a hard time keeping up with the pace so if I say something that repeats someone else - I'm sorry! At first we all go along on the AF high - maybe able to go out - that first time or two of being out sober is enlightening - and a challenge - and a bit exciting! I think this is an excellent time to sit down and try to come up with a solid plan...because the newness does wear off...If you experienced a burst of energy or just a little blip of excitement at being ABLE to do a few days AF - be prepared to have "down" days....don't worry - they're always followed by "up" days eventually! but if you have a solid plan - you will expect this roller coaster and be able to deal with it. Make sure your plan includes what you are going to do when that craving comes out of nowhere and hits you up side the head! And for when your body seems to be possessed by someone or something else when it reaches for a drink or tells someone "sure".

Flying by the seat of your pants is not a plan....saying "well, I went out and didn't drink last night - I'm CURED!" isn't a plan...saying "I'm going to try not to drink today" isn't a plan....Figuring out - in advance - every possible scenario and how you will react to it in order to stay AF IS a plan....at least part of one....

It never hurts to add yet another link to the toolbox. :-)

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Everybody's doing great - crankiness and all - LOL! It's to be expected.
    Thanks for this. I'm definitely riding a high wave right now. It will crest and it will break and when it does, it is important to remember that there is a plan. It's also important to remember that there's a whole set of new waves of good stuff on the horizon when we stay the course -- look for it, be patient, they'll be there.

PS: Way to go Teeza on two days and a boot camp roll call.
    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Absolutely fin...there have been many times where the only thing that got me through one if the really tough times is the (sometimes hard to believe!!) realization that it's only temporary.

I'm out running around right now and a thought just occurred to me. Someone just did something really stupid-another driver...a few months ago... Even more newly sober...I screamed and swore and almost cried I'd get so mad when something like that happened. I scared myself...I wondered if I was deep down just a mean boring bitchy person underneath...and the alcohol was just covering it up all these years.

Well I'm happy to say that today I just 'thought' bitchy things and didn't feel out of control at all...maybe I'm not really so bad after all...;-)

Yet another thing that's just temporary.
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Checking in on Monday afternoon from my work cube. This time last week, I had skipped out of work early for an "appointment." An appointment at the bar! There's a group of older guys who hang out at this bar pretty much every afternoon, and I went to hang out with them and shoot the sh*t. The drinking continued into Tuesday....

Funny, I was feeling awful last night - lonely, tired, frustrated, mad at the world. Today is sooo much better. Maybe it was the workout this morning. I think that will be my saving grace. I bought a workout book at Barnes and Noble during lunch, and it has a cautionary note about alcohol consumption. It basically says to avoid it because it keeps your body from absorbing necessary nutrients and that is also depletes your body water - something you DON'T want to happen when you're working out.

Have you ever read anything that tells you that drinking is good for you? Well, you always hear that one or two red wines a day is good for the heart, but wouldn't some red grapes work just as well? Without all the added sugars and sulfites and stuff?

Happy Monday everyone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm crabby myself!!! What the heck is THAT all about? I had a hit from out of the blue today. We have a grilling patio that has a little refrigerator in it. We used to keep a box of wine in it so when people came over they could just help themselves...well when hubs would go to the store I would run down there with my 24 oz styrofoam cup and pour the whole thing full and gulp it down before he got back. Nice, huh? How glamorous is that? I didn't even taste the wine and that was one of my big laments...I love the taste of it. Hells Bells, I was gulping it down! I would have never thought this would happen to me, but it did. There for a second it made me long for it...then I remembered all the rest...I have moved on!! God keep me from going back to hell!!
          I'm so glad to see the Boot Campers listing the days!! Kradle so glad you decided to jump in!! 9 Days is huge!!! Remember at 30 days you get a hat!!!
          Thanks, Destiniey for the kind words...I appreciate YOU! Stay strong, the zingers come out of nowhere!!! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

:H :H It must be crabby Monday Byrdie ~ I'm feeling it tooo today
            Nothing a good granny nap wouldn't cure though
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

lolab;1340766 wrote: Absolutely fin...there have been many times where the only thing that got me through one if the really tough times is the (sometimes hard to believe!!) realization that it's only temporary.

I'm out running around right now and a thought just occurred to me. Someone just did something really stupid-another driver...a few months ago... Even more newly sober...I screamed and swore and almost cried I'd get so mad when something like that happened. I scared myself...I wondered if I was deep down just a mean boring bitchy person underneath...and the alcohol was just covering it up all these years.

Well I'm happy to say that today I just 'thought' bitchy things and didn't feel out of control at all...maybe I'm not really so bad after all...;-)

Yet another thing that's just temporary.
              I sooooo hope this is true!! For heaven's sake, I've been mostly AF since February, and I still have crazy mood swings and rages (at other drivers, etc.). For the most part I don't blow up at people to their face, lol. I think mine might have a bit deeper roots than AL.

"I like people too much or not at all."
              Sylvia Plath

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1340813 wrote: Kradle so glad you decided to jump in!! 9 Days is huge!!! Remember at 30 days you get a hat!!!
                Byrdie
                And a Massage ! (I Grouponed )
                I'll wear my Hat !

:l
                On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin - Day 8 (Week 1 Goal Achieved!)
                  Destiniey - Day 8 (Week 1 Goal Achieved!)
                  Ellen_h - Day 2
                  Kradle123 - Day 9
                  Teezah - Day 2
                  Lilly - Day 9 (week 1 Goal Achieved - again

A quick fly by from me. FIN you are kicking some arse! Go man go!

Lots I wish I had time to say but I'm pitching for a big job I really need. Wish me luck and hopefully more later.

LG, I read your 'Something's missing' post and will try and reply there too. I hear you. As I did with Roon (of course we weren't mad hon, btw), I can relate. And I think that's what trips me up every time i get past the early pink cloud stage. Lolab had great advice re riding that high when you have it to strategise for when the down days come, cause they will. But they will also be followed by better days. I totally experienced that this weekend - I felt so down and sorry for myself Friday night but by Sunday night I felt great and so happy with myself for an AF weekend. I wouldn't have gotten that had I drunk. I'd add to that, during those times you know you feel weak and vulnerable DO NOT put yourself in temptation situations if you can possibly help it.

Later 'gaters...

Comment

Newbies Nest

i missed out on all the crankiness-- but i'm soooo tired today.
                    i have a very long day ahead of me with the kids. they are talking incessantly. i'm trying to stay calm but they're driving me crazy. i'm taking little breaks, hiding away. i feel such a huge urge to drink. to be able to better tune out. i won't. i don't want the guilt. i want to enjoy their company more. i feel like such a selfish bitch.
                    i have peaches to make a crumble. and vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.
                    i'll start on that with the girls and see how it goes.
                    it helps to vent here.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Destiniey I have been following your post, and when put the words to Louis Armstongs song What a Beautiful World, it has always been my most fav song for years. Today I am on day 3, am having company so am afraid of stepping back to day one.
                      My brother made it his surgury, but his prognosis is not that great, he has had it twice, and his Dr told him if he is planning a long trip take it soon. (I think that is horrible bedside manner!!!!!)
                      I managed to find a place to live, it is a room, but more like a bach. aprartment. Lots of room, share the back yard, kitchen, and a bath with one person.
                      Since I have moved back to London On., I have felt very alone, I moved to be closer to the man in my life, but once I did that he says he will call and does not, he takes holidays and said we will see each other and does not. I got angry and gave him a piece of my mind. I must be careful, not sure how much extra I have to spare, haha. This same man would ask me for gas money to come and see me with an hours drive to do so.
                      Have a friend who told me any man who asks a woman who is not working for gas money is not worth the time.
                      My sons girlfriend and I also do not see eye to eye. She is a foster child whos mother left her when she was 11 years old. She has a lot of pent up anger and enjoys taking it out on me. So she dragged me into court saying I am a threat to her and her family. I was prepared to sign the peace bond to get out of there, and put a stop to this nonsense./ My daughter talked some sense into me. I stood infront of the judge and told him I changed my mind I will not sign.
                      That same day this girl text me to say lets drop this. They even brought the baby over. I have not seen her since Sept. She was a very early preemie @ 2lbs 1.5 oz. It was great. We still had to go to court, but she stood by her word and dropped it. The Judge I am sure told her she needs more evidence to prove me a threat so it is advisable to end this. My son also knew very little of what was going on.
                      A girlfriend told me this year was going to be a better one than last year, we are half over and I would like to know when it starts.
                      Goal
                      I am starting over as of Sept 6
                      SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
                      be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
                      be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
                      be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
                      Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
                      Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
                      I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

After reading everyones posts, I can really idenify. I would buy a box of wine and drink it till it was gone. The amount of al I put in my system is terrible, as you Destiniey, the tolerance level is so high. I however rarely passed out. I would go to bed, and when I woke there was a glass right there waiting. I never thought twice about it. Presently I am not working, so like I can afford this NO, but it does not stop me. I broke down 3 boxes yesterday, that was from last week. I wanted to keep them as a momento, but I do not feel I need it, so I disposed of them.
                        Yesterday I read all day, Sunday I slept all day, it was the 1st day of my journey AGAIN. today is the beginning of day 3, hope I can do it. I am very jittery, seems the more you try and stop, the harder it gets.
                        I have stopped before for 3 months, but my common law was nagging me so much instead of encouragement, he kept at me.
                        Then I quit for 1 month, thought I could drink only socially, again NOT.
                        So here I am again, and again. I chose not lose this time, if I fail, I will post it, and take my shots of encouragement from all my friends here in the NEST
                        Goal
                        I am starting over as of Sept 6
                        SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
                        be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
                        be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
                        be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
                        Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
                        Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
                        I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

Has everybody seen the Spiritual River site (spiritual river dot com)? There's some inspiring stuff there. I was just reading an article called 'Why Sobriety Needs to be Challenging' and it made me think of some of the recent posts here.

I believe you can't post external links here - is that right? But go to the site, then articles, then look for that one. Loads of inspiration here.

x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh and just after I posted that I saw that someone else had posted this from the same site, so I guess links are ok:

Reader Mailbag: How do we Motivate Ourselves to Get Sober with the Idea that We Can Have Fun Again Some Day?

Roonie and Library - you both need to read this Me too.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Litre....I am so glad that you are finding some comfort in my posts. It helps so much to know that we are not alone in the journey. I am so proud of you and your 3 days AF. You said that you were having company today....stay strong and remember that a craving doesn't last as long a s a hangover!!!! I have to get to work right now but I will be back on later and we will talk! Keep up the good work! Hugs to you!
                              AB Club Member
                              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Boot Camp Roll Call for June 26, 2012

(*Add your name to this running list if you want a daily log by hitting the Quote button on this post).

Fin - Day 9 (Chasing Week 2)
                                Your name here
                                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Working...
                                X