Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

LG, sorry to see you go and hope no one has made you feel unwelcome but I get where you're coming from - I think you are in a different space than most of us right now. But know you are welcome here any time and pop in to say hello. And see you on the other threads.

Congrats to all those who are kicking goals, like Fin and Litre. Keep going!

Mick, I like your thinking! It Can be difficult and challenging for sure, but there is a LOT to be said for trying to view it primarily as a grand adventure. For me, anyway, I find focusing on the positives the most motivating thing of all. A 'gratitude versus deprivation' mindset. And, yes, Vale's book is great for that though I question his whole 'it's not a disease' thing, which personally I think is a bit ignorant of all the extensive medical research but anyway ...

So bring it on mate! Look forward to hearing about your adventures with kicking alcohols ass! Have you been around MWO much? Have you encountered Guitarista's threads yet? If not, I suggest you look for them because he has a really great positive way of talking about the adventure that is living AF that I find really inspiring.

I know better than to speak too soon but my mindset seems to have really shifted recently. *I feel a commitment that has been lacking this last year and it's great.

Feeling better every day.

Had a fab weekend so far -*dinner with a friend, lunch with a friend, book shopping, manicure, walks, photography exhibition - all AF and all lovely.

L x

Comment

Newbies Nest

And for the new Newbies, definitely check out the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...l?nojs=1#links

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!
        Hope everyone is enjoying a relaxing AF Saturday

Liath, just wanted to welcome you back. We joined MWO at the same time in Feb. '09
        Congrats on your decision to take control of your life, you won't be sorry. Just stick to your plan & close to the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, All! I'm finally getting started, got my six week starter extreme pack yesterday, not going straight to abstinence, but definitely weaning down, and hoping to abstain in a few days....kind of like a modified McK method. Doctor would not Rx topa, opting for naltrexone instead. Started that along with the Kudzu, milk thistle, calms forte, etc. Already did first track of hypno CD, about to do track 2 before playing golf in the heat. Will be interesting to see how I feel and react, will have choice of beer or water, hoping to keep drink count down. We'll see...

Good luck to all.
          Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
          When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi

Hi all how are you?
            Lill E glad you enjoyed yourself and no al..great stuff

Liath..well thats nearly day 4 over..half our first non al weekend gone...corny phrase I know but how was it for you?

Sausage..dont you go getting al watching the final tomorrow..have you noticed now he is British not Scottish?

Byrdlady ..you been up to anything this weekend?

Wildflower yep tried al free beer before..didnt like the taste didnt do anything for me.
            Also hi to anyone I have missed hope your al weekend has been good.

Did quite a bit of work around the garden today..not long stopped..guess what I had to drink..A cup of TEA! that would not have happened before but I enjoyed it.

Anyway off now take care all..enjoy your al weekend

Mick
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey nesters...it's just hot outside! 97*! Enjoying an AF Saturday...about to get out in the heat and water my tomatoes. I was so proud of one finally turning red...upon closer inspection I see the birds have PECKED it! Dang it!
              Stay strong everyone! Mick and Liath, 4 days is tremendous! Hang in there til 7 days and you will get a horn toot from the nest! DfromCT,so glad that you are joining us! Don't cave in today no matter what and no matter who!! Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome DfromCT, this is a great nest and a great group of people

Well I did it, Day 7 beaten, I was out gardening, and thought a glass of wine would be nice, if I could have kicked myself in the butt I would have. It was a very short lived thought.
                I told you about my sons friends Mom taking her life, and my unfortunate situation when I OD, again once I went off the meds I have been good. The strange thing is my son told his friend on Friday what I had done, the boy was very sypathetic and understanding. Then his Mom took her own life on Mon, that has woke me up and I see life through different eyes. My children forgive me, they understand I would never do that deliberately, or hurt them deliberately. So I know I will not go back to AL, I value my life too much.

It also gave me the courage to end a relationship that was upsetting me, and quite often sending me to the liquor store. My heart goes out to Dave and his family I have know him since he was a teen. I am so glad my children did not have to go through that.

So my passing my 1st goal is important, but my frame of mind and love of life is more important. I can honestly say this is the first time I feel I have a reason to embrace LIFE. :h Thanks for letting me spew.
                Goal
                I am starting over as of Sept 6
                SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
                be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
                be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
                be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
                Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
                Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
                I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Liter2....congratulations on 7 days! You have now conquered each day the week can throw at you. If you got thru last Sunday, you can get thru this one. I'm so proud of you...There IS a lot to live for, and your horn toot is just the beginning!! :day5:
                  Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Saturday, Nest!

Hope you all are doing well this fine weekend! I will hit 14 days AF tomorrow. It seems to be getting easier. I relied on AL for so long to put me to sleep (ie, knock my ass out), that the first few days AF were really anxious. Melatonin was a huge help. To add to the fun, my stupid waterbed mattress ripped right about the time I decided to quit, so I've been sleeping on the couch. Luckily, we're getting a brand new non-water bed tomorrow, with one of those foam mattresses that feels like you're sleeping on a cloud. Can't wait to spend the night in it!

Congrats to all of you who have achieved sober days! :goodjob:
                    ITGeekChick

Comment

Newbies Nest

hello again, and thanks for the well wishes. Played golf in the heat, only had three beers in the five hour round, which is a big improvement from the 12 pack I could easily finish in the past.

One problem I have is taking all the pills. It doesn't matter that many are homeopathic herbs, the size of them is, literally, hard to swallow. Particularly the magnesium, which made me gag tonight and almost regurgitate the kudzu as well. So no mag for me tonight.

Hopeful about sleeping tonight without that AL induced buzz I've relied upon for years. Certainly not AL free, but feel like I've taken a step in the right direction. Good night.

Dave
                      Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
                      When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone, hope you're all having a great AF Saturday.

DfromCT, welcome! I started by cutting down as well, it can make it an easier transition.

Also welcome to Liath!

And congrats to Mick and Litre - you'll be at 30 days in no time.

ITgeekchick, congrats on 14 days. I have trouble with falling asleep as well. I take either melatonin (sublingual works great) or an antihistamine. Tryptophan seems to help too. I have one of those foam mattresses - they're great, though they can be warm if you don't have AC (but it's a plus in winter!)

Hello to everyone else - hope your Sunday is a good one.
                        AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done IT on almost two weeks - I reckon that's around when the benefits really started kick in. I am really happy to be on day 7 today as likewise I start to feel ok again after a week and get a real AF high after two.

Litre, that is so sad about your son's friend but, yes, thank god your kids didn't have to go through that and think how you can be there for them and that poor boy now you are AF. How is your son coping with it all?

Mick, tea has become my new drink of choice, especially as it's winter here. I have quite an array now, just treated myself to some fancy stuff yesterday for a week in fact. It's comforting, hydrating and tastes l lovely - so many flavours to try too. But believe me, I one would have never thought I'd hear myself say that.

Tonight, another event that is typically booze soaked - my monthly bookclub. But it is fine as I feel so resolved I am truly not bothered. I'm going to take some good quality sparkling mineral water, limes and these gorgeous fresh cherries the veg shop next door is selling at the moment instead of wine. If I have time I may even make a cherry clafoutis.

I also got an email from an old friend who I KNOW has a huge alcohol problem but is the sort of defensive about it that there'd be NO point saying anything to her - and in fact i've dreaded her reaction to my being AF (she posted something on Facebook once saying 'enough is enough now' when I was talking about doing Dry July). Anyway, she was talking about having a 'hellish' day due to a night out, embarrassing herself in front of students, vomiting in the toilets the next day at work etc. so I responded sympathetically and opening up about my own struggle and efforts to quit. Will be interested to see if and how she responds!

Happy sober Sunday all. Or, er, whatever day it is when you're reading this!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Evening Everyone:

And happy AF Saturday. Another Sunny day in Seattle...Fingers crossed.

I have a quik question: How do I post a picture here like the ones I see on other threads. They are big and bright and some have captions!

Here's a smily. Those I can do!
                            On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                            *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am new to this site and was nervous to join but also saw the great support there is and felt I should join!
                              I have been drinking very heavy since being diagnosed with Post Partum Depression after my last child...I was put on Paxil which helped but it also increased my cravings for alcohol by a tremendous amount and what's worse I do not register when to stop....drink easily a bottle of wine and a few vodka bevies a night....I hate myself for it!😢 it doesn't help that my husband drinks a lot as well and when I quit for a day I still have to see him have his drinks..... Want to order the MWO package and ordered Topamax but am scared to go on it since I already take Paxil....

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome: Brown

I too started drinking heavily after my youngest was born and I had post natal depression. Please read My Story in the story section. My husband drinks daily too so I can relate to your struggle. Also check out the Tool box thread in Monthly abstinence. This site has been a Godsend to me and with its wonderful wisdom and support I am now on day 136 AF. Look forward to seeing you around.

Sausage x

Comment

Working...
                                X