Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi again guys thanks for everyones support, was one of those rotten days. anyway spoke to hubby about driniking and hes now decided he wont drink AT ALL to help make things a little easier for me.
    Anyway Day 1 for me..there was a bottle of wine siting in the fridge this morning that i lost last night and found it down the side of the couch when i woke this now...well after a family day out as i knew it was sitting in the fridge i nearly drank the bloody thing, but for the first time hubby said "No way, enoughs enough and im helping u this time" then promptly poured it down the sink, which i feel cool about as the craving buggered off finally and we're going to sit with our take away instead...Fingers crossed this time i can make a go of it. Hope everyone in the forum is keeping well and also doing well themselves against this horrible fight!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni, I can totally relate, except I did the "I'll quit drinking as soon as I get through this bottle (waste not, want not, you know!). Then "something" would go wrong, I'd get stressed and buy another bottle, or have my husband pick one up, and start the cycle of fake promise over. "As soon as I finish THIS bottle, I'll stop drinking!"

It sounds like you have a great non-drinking buddy to hang with! Hopefully the two of you can offer each other support and encouragement on this journey.
      ITGeekChick

Comment

Newbies Nest

You know what's NOT going to happen to me this weekend?
        • Get a DUI
        • Spend money I don't have on alcohol
        • Have a blackout
        • Consume empty calories
        • Eat crappy, greasy foodMake an ass out of myselfDrunk dial peopleWake up hungoverFeel anxious, ashamed, and guiltyPiss off my family
        Checking in late afternoon, SOBER.

Comment

Newbies Nest

ITGeekChick;1353094 wrote: Rooni, I can totally relate, except I did the "I'll quit drinking as soon as I get through this bottle (waste not, want not, you know!). Then "something" would go wrong, I'd get stressed and buy another bottle, or have my husband pick one up, and start the cycle of fake promise over. "As soon as I finish THIS bottle, I'll stop drinking!"

It sounds like you have a great non-drinking buddy to hang with! Hopefully the two of you can offer each other support and encouragement on this journey.
          I think putting off quitting day after day is very typical for us alcohol addicts. I imagine just about everyone in this thread has had that experience. Day 2 consistently becomes Day 1....

And yes, I am hoping this friend continues to want to quit together, if not I'm afraid our relationship will totally suffer because I KNOW I can't hang around with drinkers or where alcohol is flowing any time soon!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, I'm out of the nest for a week and come back to all hell breaking loose! It makes me think that this thread would make a great script for a reality TV show.

I had to skim the last 10 days really quickly so I apologize in advance for missing out on anyone's hits or misses in particular. Just a few shout-outs as I have to get ready for a small girls-only dinner party at which I'll probably be the only non-drinker (but I'm up for it, will take my own Pelligrino):

Dave, I think your advice to Bluburb was spot on. When I was discussing relationship questions with my therapist last weekend, he said it doesn't really matter as long as I keep making my sobriety my priority. I'd just like to add that I was sober for several years before my son was born and for 10 years after that until I relapsed, a "slip" that lasted - with varying lengths of sobriety off and on - until May 8th of this year. Do you think I would rather be saying now that I have 20+ years instead of 2+ months? Yes, I would. Though I'll take the 2+ months that I have and am grateful that I didn't fuck up any worse than I did.

Litre2 - you've had more than your fair share of troubles. Sorry to hear about the asshole BF but glad that you were strong. I hope you stay strong with your family reunion this weekend.

Wicked Mom and Kradle
            - big congrats on 10 months and 30 days. Every milestone is a victory.

Gdog
            and others - same goes for everyone starting on Day 1 or 2 or 18. Give yourselves a pat on the back. It all counts. And we're all brave to keep fighting the good fight, even if it means starting over.

Desti
            - I'm not quite caught up on your story but you've always been such an enthusiastic member, so I hope you're back on the path.

Sorry that we've lost some nesters and I hope that's temporary. Whatever our individual goals, I believe we all benefit from having the opportunity to express ourselves without fear of judgement. But we also can't be too thin-skinned if someone disagrees with our position. What we think is just that - what counts in the end are our actions and getting through this life and these heavy challenges with as much grace as we can. As for everything else, time will tell.

I appreciate everyone's support and am happy to report that I'm on day 75. Woo hoo.

Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
            "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
            ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
            :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all,

I am just getting acquainted with this thread and there sure is a lot of activity Sober Sunday and loving it. akaMonique I can so relate to you having long stretches of sobriety, I too had 5 years. Unfortunately when I started again I moderated well for almost a year, then shit hit the fan and I have been struggling to quit for 4 years. It seems to have gotten worse than before. What really hit a nerve is someone was talking about anothers successful 17 years of sobriety and I truly was jealous. I am not a jealous sort, but for that I was. I would have had 11 years this month.

Well, I have stopped beating myself up and am all dusted off and ready to fight the fight. I am in my late 40's and want to live the rest of my life happy, healthy and sober!
              new beginnings July 16, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters & Happy Sunday

Glad to see you back itsmytime!
                I'm sure we all wish we hadn't wasted so much time living under the influence. But I'm certain now that we're just not going to quit & stay quit until we fully accept that we can no longer drink AL safely

Wishing you the best on your journey & wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I hope no one thinks this post is weird, but I keep hearing people talk about all the regrets from drinking (or starting back up after a long period of sobriety), and I want to make a point. I think I posted this same point a few weeks ago too.

I know that we can't go back in time and change things - the loss of friends, jobs, money, and self esteem. I think we can all list a tons of things we regret about drinking all these years.

But think about this. When you finally get sober for good, you actually have an advantage over the majority of people who have never been in your shoes. You've been to rock bottom, they haven't. You've agonized over wanting a normal, healthy life because of this addiction. They haven't.

You know what that means? You will appreciate life and all it has to offer more that they do! You will never take another sunrise for granted. Every moment of joy you have in your sober life will be exaggerated because you've been living in darkness so long. Your mornings will be full of appreciation, and your desire to live life to the fullest will be engrained in every cell of your sober body. Don't you think a prisoner who gets out of jail feels the same way? Because that's what we are - prisoners of the beast. But we just found the key!

Run out of that jail as fast as you can, relish in your "new" life, and don't EVER look back!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Roon....great point!! It is like getting the key and getting out of that prison..once you can 'see' what AL IS the problem, that's half the battle. Stay strong Roon, you have the right mindset!! B
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

rooniferd;1353372 wrote: I hope no one thinks this post is weird, but I keep hearing people talk about all the regrets from drinking (or starting back up after a long period of sobriety), and I want to make a point. I think I posted this same point a few weeks ago too.

I know that we can't go back in time and change things - the loss of friends, jobs, money, and self esteem. I think we can all list a tons of things we regret about drinking all these years.

But think about this. When you finally get sober for good, you actually have an advantage over the majority of people who have never been in your shoes. You've been to rock bottom, they haven't. You've agonized over wanting a normal, healthy life because of this addiction. They haven't.

You know what that means? You will appreciate life and all it has to offer more that they do! You will never take another sunrise for granted. Every moment of joy you have in your sober life will be exaggerated because you've been living in darkness so long. Your mornings will be full of appreciation, and your desire to live life to the fullest will be engrained in every cell of your sober body. Don't you think a prisoner who gets out of jail feels the same way? Because that's what we are - prisoners of the beast. But we just found the key!

Run out of that jail as fast as you can, relish in your "new" life, and don't EVER look back!
                      Rooni:

I am printing that and posting it on my wall...:thanks:

If anything drives me right the hell back to drinking its exactly those mind numbing thoughts of how much I have destroyed and neglected in my life. It is the big WTF attitude that sucks me right into that first WTF drink which of course becomes the never ending WTF drink...

This piece of the puzzle right here- the one you just posted is the most slippery one for me so thank you a zillion times over for picking it from the puzzle pile. It fits perfect

:l
                      On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Rooni -- that's just how I feel!
                        Happy AF Sunday everyone!
                        AF since 9/20/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Litre2;1352960 wrote: Blu- good for you so pleased, by the way my friend is in Boysie, spelling it wrong I know. Told you I Geographically challenged, I guess that carries over to my spelling. Enjoy your weekend

So I decided to take my brother up on his offer to pick me up. I told him and my girlfriend from Idaho I was not drinking. That makes at least 5 people who know. I am getting stronger and more confident in my choice of life style. I am going to go, and remain AF for today is another great goal 21 Days, 10 more to reach my 30 day goal, and then I will make more. AL is not in my near future. I want to go past 3 months like I did before.

So my dear friends in the nest, stay true, enjoy this lovely weekend, for it will be full of promise, beautiful sunshine and most of all love from all over the world:h:l

Litre2
                          Liter2!!! 21 days!! That is AWESOME. You must feel so proud of yourself. :goodjob:
                          Butterbean

Start date: Sunday June 17, 2012
                          30 days AF, DONE!
                          Next goal, stay dry!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well said Rooni.
                            I had a moment this morning where the beast seemed to all but disappear as I watched the sun come up. Such a liberating feeling! I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry. I want more and more and more of that feeling!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well my dear friends in the nest, I did it, today is Day 22, and nearing the end.:applaud: I was quite worried I did not have what it really takes. I did have my tonic water in a wine glass, but even when I was offered a taste of a cooler, I turned it down. I told my SIL that I was not drinking and she said she was proud of me, she is one of the few who rarely touches it. Last year, I would have some wine in my tent and slip in there when I went to bed and drink. Or I would pour some when no one was looking, this time, other than the tonic water, I had my water bottle and some Nestea green tea. No one questioned me, my nephew in law, if that is a word asked me what I was drinking and I told him tonic water, his response was yea that is really refreshing, I could go on and on, but I will stop blowing my own horn and pray it continues.

Rooni- I also found out tomorrow never comes, and each time I tried to quit the binges got worse. Hope you find the best way for you to fight this beast and win. I think you have a true friend as you said to want to stop along with you. I think the journey is easier with a companion.

Arrii-Your husband sounds like he is a one in a million person. I wish I had that support 3 years ago. But as my Mother used to say "If wishes were horses, beggers would fly"

ItGeek- I also used to say I will quit when, and yes waste not want not. Then I had a rude awakening, and I am so thankfull.

Monique- I am way too pleased with myself, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I know now I can and will allow myself to be in senarios where AL is and be in control.

Itsmy- True, there is no sense in beating ones self lup. Had I had a backbone 3.5 years ago, I never would have allowed the man I was with to intimidate me into drinking again. So as it is, today is Day 22, but I also know I am on the right road, which I may not have been 3.5 years ago.

Rooni- I said something similar as you, and mine was I have been given a new chance at life. This time, my glass will be not only 1/2 full, but 3/4's full and I will relish my new life.

Butter-Thanks, I made it solo this weekend, except for the underage ones. I guess my will is stronger than I thought. My Mother would be so proud of me:h
                              Goal
                              I am starting over as of Sept 6
                              SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
                              be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
                              be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
                              be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
                              Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
                              Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
                              I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations Litre! You should be pleased with yourself! I had a lovely time at a little dinner party last night. I was the only one not having wine but it just wasn't a big deal, and none of the others were guzzling it (like I would have.) So next goal - staying away from that 2nd velvet chocolate cupcake.
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
                                ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
                                :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X