Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1354156 wrote: Welcome NV and Miranda!! We are so glad you found us! I was a closet drinker myself....you should find the thread about hiding and drinking...dang it, wish I knew how to post a link...but it is sad and funny...mostly sad. AL is the most cunning opponent I know. It makes you think BLACK when it's really WHITE...makes you think you are social, when you are being an ass....makes you feel better as it kills you. Yes, AL has my undying respect. So the only way I know to stop drinking is to stop drinking.

Ok. Well HOW the HELL do you do that? Like any good battle, this takes a plan of attack. This is a little embarrassing, but if you can read back on the Newbies Nest maybe a month, and then SKIP the major squabble we had for about 2 weeks....you will pick up some wonderful tips for success. Get to know us. You will find people from all over the world here, and in various stages of quitting. When I first got here I was SCARED. How could I possibly go one day without AL, let alone give it up for good? Old timers would fly in and say how wonderful it was, but they didn't tell me how to do it. I will throw out a couple of things, and the other nesters will also tell you how they are doing it.

Get your story down. Have in place what you are going to tell people when you are offered a drink. This is key! If you hesitate..the well-meaning host will push it on you and derail your plan. My personal excuse is that "Al is like battery acid to my insides". As any Type A personality will tell you...tummy issues are always a problem...so this works for me. But get yours down and use it....I'm driving...I'm on a health kick...I made a bet with friends...whatever!

Get all the AL out of your house. ALL of it. No, you do NOT need a safety net....that is planning for failure, but you are planning for success. Surround yourself with things you love to eat...I mean LOVE! Do not worry about calories or fat right now, we have bigger fish to fry at the moment!! Keep yourself hydrated! If you like movies...get a load of them to watch. Or books. Whatever you really like to do/eat/play....get it and have it on hand. The first 3 days are the hardest. Your head will be filled with voices telling you to cave in. Don't you do it. Do NOT cave in no matter what and no matter who!!! You are not giving up and old friend...you are getting rid of an enemy who is playing for all the winnings!! No, one glass of ______ is NOT going to do you any good! (this is us you are talking to....we know all the tricks your mind is trying to play!). Distraction, distraction, distraction! When you have those thoughts, immediately change your thinking to something else....name all your cousins...recite the Lord's Prayer....sing the Happy Birthday song...anything to get your mind out of that LOOP! When a thought comes in to your head, say NO, HELL NO, you (AL) will not win this time!!!

Do not get hungry! This is a major trigger! Remember it's only about 4 hours you really need to get thru...at least it was that way for me (5-9). If you made it thru the last 15 minutes, you can get thru the next ones. You do not NEED a drink. The drink needs you....do not feed it! Get on here and read, read, read!!! If all else fails...just go to bed. Yep...get Day 1 behind you. By day 3, all the AL will be out of your system and you will be operating on full power!! It is a wonderful feeling to finally regain yourself. You can do it!!! Grab a wing and lets' get going!!! Byrdie
    Good morning Byrd et al,

I don't know how to do this but I think your post should be cut and pasted in the Tool Box!
    My favorite part is naming all my cousins. I have a zillion of them.

Thanks ! :l
    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav, of course you're right. For whatever reason, I seem to have lost my confidence somewhere along the way....I get worked up and anxious in advance, about anything involving alcohol - and then find myself looking for it when I get there...I just have to stop letting it be my focus...even though I look for it in an 'avoidance' kind of way - it's still focusing on it. And not letting me enjoy myself.
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey my peeps! I am just checking in from my phone to let you know that I am on my way to the Doctors to see if I can get a prescription for antabuse and whatever the hell else I need to finally be AF. I am soooooooo nervous but I so want my life back! I will keep you posted...wish me luck!
        AB Club Member
        AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I found My Way Out several months ago. I stayed for a short time but I guess I wasn't ready to change my life. I hope I am now. I can't take much more. I am so tired of feeling like crap and ashamed. I had 20 years sobriety and gave that away because I wasn't dealing well with life! I remember how great it feels to wake up to a clean sober world. I'm going to hang around awhile. I have nowhere else to go!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dest- I hope you find what you need at your Dr. so you can get back on track. We are all crossing our hearts for you.

Dogwood-Good to see you. I too found MWO before and left. This time being my third time, I decided I was here for the long haul. Happy to know you are going to hang around for awhile. It is one of the best places to be when we decide to become AF.

To all of our other nesters, hope your Tues is uneventful. The weather here in South Western Ontario is "Will you please make up your mind" kind of day. Cloudy, threat of rain, no rain, sunshine, cloudy and so on and so on. I heard somewhere that if a weather forecaster gets the forecast wrong, that person is charged. Gee it was the only job one could do wrong and not be penalized, now that is going to the birds. Actually rightfully so.
            Goal
            I am starting over as of Sept 6
            SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
            be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
            be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
            be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
            Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
            Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
            I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Litre, I'm in Southern Ontario as well. It's bright and sunny now
              new beginnings July 16, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks so much Litre.....I am here now just waiting for the doctor...already spoke to the nurse..ugh....this is soooo hard!

Hey Kradle....thanks for the PMs....I am on my phone and it is hard to write back but I will when I get home.:l
                AB Club Member
                AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Omgod....I. am MIA for 1 week and there are sooooooo many new people....I will have to read back through all the posts. A big welcome to all the new peeps!:welcome:
                  AB Club Member
                  AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening all!

I was just browsing on the net as to where to buy Kudzu and found this site. I use another online forum that is a co.uk site and mainly used by fellow Brits, but it's always nice to meet other people from further afield.

So hello to you all from an unusually scorching hot England!

Day 3 AF for me today (again!) but feeling pretty upbeat so far.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi banana split...welcome to you, also from scorching England
                      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Mick, after all the rain we've had, I'm trying not to moan about it being too hot!:rays:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Destiniey, I hope you are able to get the rx from your Dr and that it helps. I won't lie and say the Antabuse makes it easier, exactly, but it prevents you from having to go through the whole "Will I drink today or won't I?" argument. It's simply not an option.
                          ITGeekChick

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks IT. I did get the prescription today but unfortunately the pharmacy had to order it so I won't get it until tomorrow after 2PM! I will stick with the L-Glut and Kudzu so I am not so miserable with the cravings...but just knowing that drinking is NOT even a remote option will help me tremendously. Have you been on it before??? Did you continue with the supplements while taking it?
                            AB Club Member
                            AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bumping up the nest!

Good morning all & happy hump day - where is everyone??
                              Have a great AF Wednesday!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Lav.....I was wondering the same thing!!!!!!!!
                                AB Club Member
                                AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Working...
                                X