Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hey Dogwood, I would recommend doing some research on the web if you are interested in Smart Recovery. Like Fly said, it's an alternative to AA. The main difference is that they view alcohol addiction more as a bad habit and a choice that we can control rather than a disease that we are powerless to handle.

So, I went to the meeting. It was really good! There were 7 people there, and each person told a unique story about their struggles with alcohol and what led them to the meeting. I mentioned the experience I had with the doctor today who said I had to wait a week before he would prescribe me Anabuse, and that he would only do that if I went to AA and therapy for depression. What an asshole. I'm gonna find another doctor tomorrow morning.

I will definitely go back to these Smart Recovery meetings. I think that face-to-face support along with all you good people here is exactly what I need.

Have a great sober night everyone! Looking forward to day 2 and finding out if I got a new job or not.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hooray Rooni! Glad you went to that meeting and enjoyed it. I checked the web and there aren't any SR meetings around me. I don't really feel the need for face to face interaction, but I thought it might be interesting to talk to like-minded people. Oh well.

Comment

Newbies Nest

that's fantastic Rooniferd...I was just checking in here before bed - It's good to hear you sounding positive.

Goodnight everyone...I hope we get through the night without more storms!
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters

Re Smart Recovery - if you Google it you will see that there are are lots of on line resources / work sheets etc as well as meetings in some areas ( can't remember where in world you live,) as Fly says it's not as widely available as AA but you may find something near you. You can learn a lot about their program from the web though and see some of their "tools" I like the one ( worksheet) called Cost Benefit analysis of alcohol, which is really worth doing and updating every month or so as you change in your AF journey.

Lolab sorry to hear about your glass on 21st - just noticed your signature, didn't realise this had happened - glad it hasn't affected your sobriety long term unlike me when I took one little glass of champagne after 8.5 AF months ( see My Story!)

Scary stuff about the Tiramasu K9 but glad you got no effects from the Antabuse. I've actually always hated ( even when i was drinking) sweet alcoholic things like this, trifle, choc truffles etc, which probably now is a good thing! I am v aware of the smell of alcohol now on people's breathe or when I walk past a bar etc now, which I never noticed before , and I don't like it!

Well today is day 155 for me ( I think)! I'm finding it more of an effort to count now which is probably a good thing, but am determined to count every day til I get past the infamous day 257 where I failed last time, then after this I probably won't bother.

Keep going, it is SO worth it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Rooni! Yesterday I took my 1st AB at 5:10 pm. My husband made sure I took my 2nd one this morning so today was my first solid day on it. I have had no side effects whatsoever. I was only 2 days clean when I went to my doctor but my pharmacy had to order the AB so I didn't get until the next day...so I guess a total of 3 days AF before the AB.
            I am so glad to hear that you went to a meeting. My Dr mentioned AA to me also but I told him i didn't think I was comforatble with that so he recommended a recovery group that celebrates your recovery and is very positive. It is through a local church and I am not a very religious person but I went on-line and checked it out and realized that my horse trainers husband is one of the counselers!!!!!!!! Oh HELL no! Ha! I will see if they have any of those meetings like you went to near me.
            AB Club Member
            AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rise and shine peeps! Wow...I was the last to post last night and the first to post this morning! The buffet is set up so help yourself to coffee or tea and as a special request from Byrdie there are glazed donuts! Ha!
              AB Club Member
              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni,

Your doctor sounds exactly as you described, great that you are going elsewhere.

Smart Recovery has online meetings which I have attended several. Not quite the same as face to face but they certainly give you a really good idea of the program. The techniques to help with urges, etc. can also be used for other areas of life. The program is super helpful to me.
                2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

that's good to know allswell. Destiniey, I'm glad you've gotten to start the antabuse. A significant amount of AF time really does change everything. :-)

Thanks sausage, I let one glass derail me once, and it's not about to happen again. :-)

I am such a different person than I was in the spring of 2011 when I honestly hadn't let go deep down - of thoughts of being able to drink again. It's only been recently that I've been able to think that I can foresee a life without alcohol. I never EVER thought I'd feel that way. While I sure don't advocate anyone buckling to pressure and taking that first drink just because someone else did it and was "ok" - I also believe that we're each in control of our own destiny and I will create my own future and not be afraid that I've undone something and it can't be fixed. I don't feel weak, and I don't plan to drink AL again- and I plan to prove to myself that I can be strong in the next couple weeks. :-)
                  ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

I second those thoughts Lola
                    We do indeed wake up every morning with a choice to make. Why not choose the good one?

Wishing everyone a great AF Friday!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today is 27 Days AF, only 3 more and I have made my final goal. Then it will be time to set more. Every day I wake, I have no urge to drink. Alot of it has to do with my Children and 6 Grandchildren, they are the reason I am here, my will to be a good person and to give all the Love I have to offer. The nest is another large part for my sobriety. I thank you all.

Itsmy- It really does feel great to go someplace and not drink, and even better when there is no pressure. Talk about irony, there is a song on the radio called "Put A Drink In My Hand" there are so many drinking songs. You pick it up more so when you are not.

ItGeek-I also love the quote, we can all use it "I'm not depriving myself, I'm loving myself."

Dest-:thanks: How are you doing, I agree it is a wonderful quote

Mum-I think you have gotten off to a good start. Coming here is a very strong and courageous step. Most of us have started with baby steps. Every nester says :welcome: You have already picked a day to start, which was suggested to me, then most of us try for 3 days and so, baby steps. Also read, post, read, and post. There are so many friends and support here in the nest, so sit back and hang on.

Byrdie"Protect your quit with all you've got!
                      I love it, it says so much. So please tell me will I need to do my hair for Monday? (The hat) I want it to fit right.....

GDog-Day4, :goodjob:

Clear-Your :cents:cents is worth tons. I agree once we try AL after being AF it takes no time at all to work back into our lives. I think it is making up for lost time. Welcome back.

Baker- Hope you find what you are looking for at the AA meetings. I went to them years ago, if I had been in my own town, I would have gone back. We look forward to seeing you back here in the nest. You will find friendship, support and many with a sense of humour.

K9-You always make me laugh. You made a good point, when we drink, we can certainly make an ASS:moon: of ourselves.

Rooni-First do not let the Dr put you on Anti Depressants if he suggests it. Go back and re-read my early post. Al will add to our stress and make us more depressed. When the Al is out of our system we can actually start using brain cells that have been left. I tell you it is such a sweeter life. I was pleased you had a good experience with the Smart Recovery, I read earlier someone did not. We do not have them in Ontario.
                      I cannot believe the Dr was not supportive and more helpfull, good for you for looking for another. Your experience reminds me of a joke my brother likes to tell because of his experiences "What is the difference between God and a Doctor, God does not think he is a Doctor." Too bad they would not remember why they took that oath.
                      Goal
                      I am starting over as of Sept 6
                      SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
                      be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
                      be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
                      be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
                      Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
                      Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
                      I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dest, thank you for the wonderful breakfast! I DO prefer the glaze to be on my donuts and NOT over my eyes! You think of everything!
                        Lola, I want to be you when I grow up. I am in awe of you and your strength. Well done for working thru this maze in your mind, and coming out the other side. I would have never imagined this journey to have such a 'mental' component to it, but that's all it is. When someone says to me, 'just don't drink!' I could slap them silly. Gosh, they just don't understand addiction at all. Thank you for being an inspiration...we will ALL likely face those same challenges and we have a role model to lead our thinking.
                        Roon, you are awesome! You have your eye on the goal, and nothing is going to stop you....so proud of your determination.
                        Everyone, have a great day....Lav will tell us that Friday is just another day in the chain, so stay the course. Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today is 27 Days AF, only 3 more and I have made my final goal. Then it will be time to set more. Every day I wake, I have no urge to drink. Alot of it has to do with my Children and 6 Grandchildren, they are the reason I am here, my will to be a good person and to give all the Love I have to offer. The nest is another large part for my sobriety. I thank you all.

Itsmy- It really does feel great to go someplace and not drink, and even better when there is no pressure. Talk about irony, there is a song on the radio called "Put A Drink In My Hand" there are so many drinking songs. You pick it up more so when you are not.

ItGeek-I also love the quote, we can all use it "I'm not depriving myself, I'm loving myself."

Dest-:thanks: How are you doing, I agree it is a wonderful quote

Mum-I think you have gotten off to a good start. Coming here is a very strong and courageous step. Most of us have started with baby steps. Every nester says :welcome: You have already picked a day to start, which was suggested to me, then most of us try for 3 days and so, baby steps. Also read, post, read, and post. There are so many friends and support here in the nest, so sit back and hang on.

Byrdie"Protect your quit with all you've got!
                          I love it, it says so much. So please tell me will I need to do my hair for Monday? (The hat) I want it to fit right.....

GDog-Day4, :goodjob:

Clear-Your :cents:cents is worth tons. I agree once we try AL after being AF it takes no time at all to work back into our lives. I think it is making up for lost time. Welcome back.

Baker- Hope you find what you are looking for at the AA meetings. I went to them years ago, if I had been in my own town, I would have gone back. We look forward to seeing you back here in the nest. You will find friendship, support and many with a sense of humour.

K9-You always make me laugh. You made a good point, when we drink, we can certainly make an :moon: of ourselves.

Rooni-First do not let the Dr put you on Anti Depressants if he suggests it. Go back and re-read my early post. Al will add to our stress and make us more depressed. When the Al is out of our system we can actually start using brain cells that have been left. I tell you it is such a sweeter life. I was pleased you had a good experience with the Smart Recovery, I read earlier someone did not. We do not have them in Ontario.
                          I cannot believe the Dr was not supportive and more helpfull, good for you for looking for another. Your experience reminds me of a joke my brother likes to tell because of his experiences "What is the difference between God and a Doctor, God does not think he is a Doctor." Too bad they would not remember why they took that oath.
                          Goal
                          I am starting over as of Sept 6
                          SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
                          be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
                          be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
                          be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
                          Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
                          Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
                          I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday all!!

Welcome Mum, the first days can be challenging. We need to be true to ourselves and not let anyone or anything come between us and our sobriety.

Rooni - good for you for giving it your all to get sober, a couple of years ago I was hitting 4 months sober but was put on AD and being on them gave me a what the heck attitude and I started drinking again. I don't discount medication, but for me it was the drinking that was causing the depression and anxiety. I feel soo much better almost 2 weeks sober than I did then.

K9 I can sooooo relate, that is me to a T, even if I only had a couple drinks I would feel like crap emotionally, it truly is my time. It's not worth it all for a very short term escape.

I love this thread, it is definitely helping me. I love, love, love waking up after a nice restful sleep and starting my day without thoughts of dread and anxiety. .

Have a great day al!!
                            new beginnings July 16, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone, Hope your all well!

Dogwood I'm on my 2nd day now and like you i have arguments in my head come evening time, will I?? Won't I?? I just could, one more time??? Im not like that through the day as my will power is strong but come evening it starts to break down and then I'm waking up annoyed, paranoid and bloody angry at myself yet again the next morning!! Its a horrible merry go round! Hope your feeling a bit better now x

Litre2 Thanks for your support also! Everyone has given such good advice. I'm hoping the baby steps will help, the Jason Vale book I have ordered and i will pick up some L-Glut also!! I will post at least once a day and take a bit of time to read through the posts on this thread especially for the last 24 hours.

Itsmytime
                              I do feel I'm starting a new chapter in my life, slightly challenging for the first little while, but it can only lead onto great things!

Does anyone feel that the first few days of not drinking they have experienced feeling really tired??
                              AF Since 26 July 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday!

Rooni - I'm glad you're going to another doctor. The one you went to pissed me off. lol
                                There's no requirement to be in a support group in order to take AB. Besides, you ARE in a support group...what are we, chopped liver? LOL

Dest - Good job on getting your AB down the hatch. I take mine every day without even thinking about it. I know if I sat and thought about it, my alcoholic brain would somehow convince me to "forget" to take it. It's happened a few times before, and I know it could happen again...so I have to be vigilant. I'm happy that my Doc started writing it out in 90 day incriments so I don't feel like I'm always in line at the dang pharmacy.

Not much new to report. My little fat dog is on the mend. For those of you that remember, I am trying for a new job as a Jailer/Corrections Officer. I found out I passed the written exam, so now I just need to focus on kissing the correct asses. LOL Over 120 people applied for the job, 60 were invited to test, and 28 passed. I feel like I kind of have an "in" since I already work for the City and I know people. HA

Everyone have a great day and remember that Friday/Saturdays are just days, not a pass to drink. A craving never lasts as long as a hangover. You'll never regret not drinking the night before. There, I think I got all my sayings in. LOL

K9
                                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X