Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

akaMonique;1356371 wrote: Greetings everyone. Checking in from Day 82 for me (but who's counting?). I apologize in advance; I'm just now catching up and there's so much to catch up on, plus my own "stuff," first and foremost, of course.

Yesterday was my birthday (53), AND Friday. So I was both tired from a long week and wanting to celebrate. Plus I was irked at my ?boyfriend? of 4 years who for the 4th year did NOTHING for my birthday other than to say ?happy birthday.? Oh, and he txted me at the grocery, was I buying myself a cake? (Yes, one piece for myself!) So I was pissed at him, not that I?m hung up on birthdays, but really, nothing? He says he?s getting me an iPad when he has the $$$ (I?ve heard this before) but it?s not the present, it?s the thought. I?d take a single flower and a card. So, yes, wine was sounding good but it wasn?t a serious discussion with myself; just a passing observation, not an option. Though mint moosetracks ice cream definitely was.

The other thing the birthday brought up was thinking about where do I want to be next year on my birthday. I?m grateful that I?m sober now, but what else? What do I want to be proud of? What do I want NOT to regret? I used to be incredibly goal-oriented in my younger days and my life has not been at all dull, and my career has been very rewarding, but the other aspects, my personal spiritual growth, financial stability, weight fluctuations, relationship success; these could all stand for improvement. Problem with all the drinking is that I really didn?t think I?d be around that much longer so I didn?t care. Weird things helped me get sober this time, like realizing I?d never get that quilt made for my son or photo albums put together for him if I was drinking away all my time. (But have I started those yet? Uh, no.)

On a lighter note, I mentioned way back that when I got 30 days I was treating myself to eyelash extensions and I finally did that Thursday night as a combined sobriety present (I?m a firm believer in the rewards concept) and birthday present. Ladies ? I can?t tell you what a ?lift? this gave me. I got so many compliments yesterday but people just said I looked really great; they?re not so noticeable that people know you?ve "done" something but you look fresher in a natural way (mine aren?t rockstar long). No mascara, no smudges under your eyes in the morning, and I can get by with no eye makeup! So that?s my non sequitur beauty tip ?o? the day. Actually, it is relevant; I told my esthetician that I had quit drinking as the first step in a multi-pronged back-to-health plan and she said really? Totally? Usually when people react this way it?s because it?s something they?ve considered so that initiated an interesting conversation. Thankfully, what?s said in spa stays in spa. For me, as I gradually tell people selectively that I?m not drinking, even if I couch it and say, for now, it helps me be more accountable. There are also a few people that I send an email to each week with my number of days. I?d hate to have to start all over again, as I have done many times in the past. The difference now is that I actually take the time and effort to think about that instead of just blindly following the WTF urge.

A few shoutouts ? and hope I haven?t missed anyone!

Lolab: Just think, for many, one drink at a wedding could have been the start of a long binge so good for you for stopping there ? that?s amazing. You?ve rec?d lots of strong feedback. If keeping your sobriety is your number one goal, you might want to consider foregoing social events that you feel are going to make you uncomfortable until you feel up to it.

Desti and Rooni
    ? as my profile picture says, ?Medicated and Motivated? ? good for you both to be willing to try whatever it takes. My Rx cocktail seems to be working for me; I still have occasional thoughts of drinking, but thankfully not the unruly, uncontrollable, almost trance-like WTF caving-in to those yearnings. Desti ? glad the AB is working for you; you sound great! And Rooni ? we?re already proud of you. Just for being here, being honest and brave, and sharing this crazy journey with us. Sorry about the crappy birthday. Next year can be a different story, you know! Congrats on the new job! And glad you found good support at the SR mtg. That Dr. was definitely uninformed and an asshole. You will both triumph!

FlyAway - Totally agree; you can?t examine the inner workings until the alcohol fog lifts.

Byrdie ? great reminders. And thanks for helping me feel less guilty about the sugar binges I?ve been going through. I don?t want to go from one addiction to another (unless I could miraculously get addicted to, say, exercising for 3 hours a day) but in the beginning it?s important to keep the #1 goal in mind ? no alcohol. I should probably quit hiding choc cake where I used to hide wine I also really liked ?it?s only 4 hours.? So true, get through the witching hour and you?re home free.

Gdog ? Sleep does come back. Definitely one of the huge benefits of not drinking after a couple/three weeks or so for me

Dogwood ? Welcome! This is a great place. Same here. ?not dealing well with life? is the story of my life. I gave away 14 years ? for what? A few hours of relief, celebration, escape ? pretty much every day for the past 7 years, up until May 8th. I?m still reading through the last week of posts and again you mirror my story. I knew I would be useless to myself and others who need and depend on me and love me if I didn?t change.

Banana Split ? your pattern was my pattern. I was at 2+ bottles of wine in the end, with the occasional hard liquor thrown in for good measure. But change is possible (if hellish initially) and you will have a life again that is meaningful and positive if you?re in charge, rather than alcohol

K9 ? thanks for sharing those positive experiences. Very helpful for everyone. Sorry about your dog. Last summer one of my cats racked up $600+ in vet bills ? ugh. Good luck with the job application and hope the migraines have passed!

Dixon ? Hi! We?ve just about the same number of days so thumbs up to us both.

Litre
    ? you?re almost there to 30 days. Congrats on staying the course.

Itsmytime
    ? hope you had a great week off and glad you?re doing well. I agree, I?m much less anxious w/o the alcohol and my sense of humor has returned! I?m much sharper again. I also really like: "I'm not depriving myself, I'm loving myself." I?m going to remember that when the sugar/choc cravings hit. They used to say in WW, nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

Hi Mumof4
    : Welcome. Everyone?s different. Read up on alcohol, read other people?s experience and see what resonates with you. Congratulations on being here ? that?s the first step. Yes, fatigue is very common as your body adjusts to no alcohol ? you?ve been putting it through the ringer. Let yourself be tired and sleep/rest as much as you need to. Plus going to bed early is less time thinking about drinking.

BakerExtraordinaire
    ? Ha, I?ve had that experience, you get yourself all worked up to finally walk into a meeting ? and nada. Keep trying, though I?ve had mixed results in AA, the right women?s group can be very nurturing. I?m also encouraged by others? experience with Smart Recovery and will look into that.

Marieth
    ? Welcome to a new start! You?ll find lots of support and great advice here.

Finallydone
    ? Thanks for chiming in. As soon as I finish writing this novel I?m going to get out on my bike.

RE ANTIDEPRESSANTS ? This is a very individual area, not black and white at all. I?ve read that 25% of alcoholics are clinically depressed and taking away the alcohol does not automatically guarantee that the depression will ease. I know I need to be on antidepressants, and am now on one that helps to control my anxiety as well. The only side effect I?m not thrilled about is the sexual dysfunction but hoping that will pass or I?ll definitely be trying something else. When I have gone completely off AD, even with long-term sobriety and being in top physical condition, I eventually succumbed to very dark depression again. Everyone?s different, and there are many many different antidepressants, so do the research and keep an open mind. Much can be gleened from our shared experiences, but we're not trained psychiatrists here.

Sorry for the length; I need to be checking in more frequently. Have a great weekend everyone. Hang tight. Or not, rather
    It's great to see you post! And I really believe there needs to be a open honest discussion on Anti Depressants/Anxiety medications and if they are helpful or harmful for both the general population and for people during there early and mid stages of being sober. Let's let the discussion begin and I look forward to a good mature honest debate over it. I believe talking about what are experiences are is very helpful in forging ahead. This place is full of soo many people wanting to keep there lives together and forge ahead. I LOVE IT!!
    Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Newbies Nest

finallydone;1356462 wrote: You'll get there Kradle!! Keep your eyes on the prize! It will be worth it.
      Thanks FD. I Needed to here that. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be... You sound great and I know you work very hard. :h

Big
      Hugs

:l

PS: Eyes on the prize. Promise.
      On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

rooniferd;1356217 wrote: Wow, FD - great post. I dream about how good it must be to have so much sober time. It sounds like heaven compared to the hell hole of drinking...

Quick update on my situation. As most of your know, I went to a doctor on Thursday of this week to get a prescription of Antabuse, but the doctor was a real shithead and said he would only give it to me if I went to AA and got therapy for depression. Obviously I won't be going back to that doctor.

I started the process of finding another doctor yesterday but got interrupted by work. Guess what folks. I GOT THE JOB I APPLIED FOR!!!! It's a completely new start for me at work. New job, new people, new responsibilities. It's going to be much more intense than it is now, which means I have to stay on track. I WON"T be able to come to work hungover or slip out at lunch for a couple of cocktails. Nope, I will be working side by side with people all day. I feel like I've been given this opportunity for a reason. A new chance. I am sooo excited!!

So I also told you that I went to a Smart Recovery meeting on Thursday. I really liked it and met some nice people. I'm actually heading to another meeting in a nearby town today (Dest - this one is in Chapel Hill). Then I'm going to take myself out to a nice lunch at my FAVORITE restaurant, and then (Dest again - this is for you) - I'm gonna hit A Southern Season and buy some yummy goumet coffee!!

Oh and back to the doctor thing.....I will resume my search for a doctor on Monday morning, and hopefully someone will get me in.....

By the way, do you HAVE to go to a psychiatrist to get the presription, or can I just go to my primary doctor? Going to the psychiatrist is a pain. Only some of them take my insurance, and most are booked for weeks and weeks. But I know I could get in to my primary doctor this week. Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, and happy Saturday!
        Wow you are making me grin! Great job and congratulations! Sober life brings soo many benefits. You are about to reap them :goodjob:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kradle123;1356471 wrote: Thanks FD. I Needed to here that. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be... You sound great and I know you work very hard. :h

Big
          Hugs

:l

PS: Eyes on the prize. Promise.
          Kradle it will be and is for me the damn toughest thing I have ever done. But It's soo worth it. You'll make it. We will all make it. We stick together and support each other. These early days and months are going to be the worst and as time passes by it will get easier. All we need to do is just keep communicating together and keep our eyes moving forward and we will get there. Life is long road with ups and downs sober or drinking. We can make it easy on ourselves by giving our selves a chance. God knows I have screwed up by drinking 10 years of my life away. But now is the time to take charge of it. We will make it!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks to all for posting, today is day one (again!). I'm wasting so much of my life being drunk, not to mention doing really stupid things, feeling crappy the next morning, etc. My immediate goal is 3 days.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Coco-we all have many Day 1's, but eventually get it right. There is a way that works for all of us.

Shit----my first reaction when I looked at the calendar. Tomorrow is Day 30.

To all the newbies and nesters who are struggling, Lord if I can do this, any one of you can. It just takes the rights steps that work for you.

Monique-It is too bad your man does nothing for your BD, :bday7: so here is a Birthday Wish for you from the nest.

Now for AD--True, side effects are different for all of us. Mine started immediately, and they were hallucinations. The man I was living with said it was from alcohol. You remember Mr. I am right/Negative. Some were very frightening. After I left and moved into an apartment, I was still having them. I began to think the apartment was haunted. Dr. asked me if the people I saw spoke to me, no! So after 3 years of this, my Dr. changed my perscription, and then the shit hit the fan. I do have to admit, on the other meds, I felt suicidal, but not to the point of dying. I did however, take a number of pills shortly after I left Mr. Negative. I believe they were a call for help/sympathy. My sister called and we talked for hours, not sure if she saved my life or not.
              So all I am saying is please be careful, and read all the side effects, even the rare ones. They were the ones that slapped me in the face. In the end the combination of the meds and another life lost made me sit up and take notice.
              We have our own reasons for staying sober, mine is my Children and Grandchildren, and I do not want anymoreinkele:
              Goal
              I am starting over as of Sept 6
              SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
              be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
              be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
              be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
              Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
              Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
              I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all. My plan on the calendar is to start a 31 day stretch Monday. It can not come to soon. It is funny how life just does not stop coming, and last night as I was drinking wine there was a huge curveball thrown into our evening that just was not good at all. At that moment I had regret for drinking at all since my emotions and thinking were not true and pure, but were in effect poisoned. The day had been going so well, but the truth is life is at best a mixture of good and bad stuff happening. We tend to think it should be good all the time. There is no model for this, no one I can point to that has that happen, but we are shocked when the storms come each day, each week, each month, each year. Breaking this cycle of reaching for short term relief at the expense of long term peace is not easy. Yet I can see more and more the lack of joy that comes with the escape. It is starting to lose its luster, its charm, its hold. At least I hope it is. Last night was not good, but I will chalk it up to the learning process that helps confirm that drinking continues to not be life. It takes much more than it gives. It robs from tomorrow while stealing the moment at the same time. Being AF gives not only in the moment, and not only for tomorrow, but even it gives to the past as you get distance and can go back and bring healing. Why in the world would we then choose to drink?

Marching towards an AF life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gdog;1356652 wrote: Breaking this cycle of reaching for short term relief at the expense of long term peace is not easy. Yet I can see more and more the lack of joy that comes with the escape. It is starting to lose its luster, its charm, its hold.
                  Well said, and soooo true. There is no more charm or luster anymore for me - only negative consequences. Only regrets, guilt, shame, and anxiety. The time to stop is NOW. We are on that road to a sober life, and we will walk it together, my friend. :l

Good morning, everyone. Hope everyone has a great Sunday. It was so nice to wake up without a hangover.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone,
                    What a great active thread, the only thing my short term memory doesn't allow me to remember who posted what to comment lol the joys of middle age lol

I appreciate every post, those who are struggling keep coming back. It's when I strayed from this site before I ended my 4 months of sobriety two years ago and have been struggling to attain it again. Happy to say I am at 14 days, really trying not to count but just can't stop lol

I had a fleeting "maybe I will do 30 days and really try to moderate, as last time I didn't do the 30 days maybe that's why I failed" WHAT???? I am feeling so good now, got through week 1 and ready to lose the weight and get serious about my exercise routine. Effin addictive voice.

Well, I chased that thought away and will not go down that road. I get the odd, maybe I will only drink on holidays - why would I waste precious holiday time full of anxiety and blacked out?? I know it's early and this is bound to happen, going to push through the challenging days to reap the reward of going through days without the thought of AL at all.

Have a great day all, off to enjoy the sunshine clear headed, bright eyed and anxiety free.
                    new beginnings July 16, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Litre2;1356636 wrote:

Shit----my first reaction when I looked at the calendar. Tomorrow is Day 30.

To all the newbies and nesters who are struggling, Lord if I can do this, any one of you can. It just takes the rights steps that work for you.

Monique-It is too bad your man does nothing for your BD, :bday7: so here is a Birthday Wish for you from the nest.

Now for AD--

So all I am saying is please be careful, and read all the side effects, even the rare ones. They were the ones that slapped me in the face. In the end the combination of the meds and another life lost made me sit up and take notice.

Litre
                      - thanks for the birthday wishes...I'm glad I didn't go off the deep end with the BF's seemingly thoughtless approach to my birthday. He did get me flowers (the day after), washed my Jeep inside and out, and said we'll go next weekend for the iPad. I have to remind myself that he's just not a birthday guy. But he is considerate in other ways, mows my lawn, cooks most of our meals, and he was there for me in the biggest way, clearing his calendar back in May to babysit me through my self-detox and drive me back and forth to meetings with my counselor/Dr. And that was after not seeing him for the four months prior; I had broken up with him in a not very pretty way, so being there for me when I most needed it is a pretty solid demonstration of unconditional love. He has 14 years sober, btw. In the moment it's hard to keep things in perspective; and we tend to be a bit raw/overly sensitive. So I'm glad I didn't overreact and go balistic on him.

FD
                      - could you provide the link about AD side effects you mentioned? And yes, let the discussion continue. Glad you persevered through the tough day. We have our annual 2-week music festival coming up starting next week and the drinking/socializing is a huge part of it. This year, I'm planning on staying out of the fray; sitting with the "old folks" in real chairs or on the bleachers instead of on blankets on the lawn. It won't be the first time I've gone sober ... the lines are much shorter for dessert/coffee than they are at the outdoor bar, and it's nice to remember the music!

Yesterday was a great day. I finally dug in and did an hour of Pilates and then took an easy hour+ bike ride with the BF. We (he) made potato salad, fresh summer corn on the cob, and grilled burgers. Why he was doing the dishes (yes!) I took the top down on the Jeep, and we drove around the lake as it neared sunset. So nice to appreciate simple joys and beauty, rather than isolating and planning where to procure my next bottle(s) of wine.

Today, more of the same plus kayaking on the lake. For now he's playing soccer and I'm finishing up coffee and the WSJ. Again, wonderfully simple pleasures. And no hangover.

Happy Sunday all, hope it's a fun and positive one!
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
                      ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
                      :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Litre - PS, Let me be the first to congratulate you for your 30 days tomorrow! That's awesome.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
                        ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
                        :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Litre, I'm getting your hat ready for tomorrow!!! Woot! Woot!!!!!

Everyone sounds so good! Positive steps being taken all around.....

I wasn't going to weigh in on the AD thing...but alas.....I started taking Cymbalta after hurricane Katrina...just couldn't get all that stuff out of my head..it played over and over in a loop. After about a month, I asked my dr for something. I took it for 5 years. To make a very long story short(er) I stopped taking it in hopes of trying to give my liver a break. (I'd just gotten abnormal readings back). After 2 weeks time, I thought I had the flu...uncontrolled vomiting, rapid pulse and heart rate and shaking. I ended up in the ER! So moral #1, don't stop taking them suddenly. But for weeks after that, I felt like shit. Of course I was still drinking at the time, began to talk of how I was going to end it all. I honestly was to the point where I didn't care one way or the other! My sister looked up 'Cymbalta withdrawals' and listed there was suicidal tendancies!! It took a good 6 weeks to get all that crap out of my system. Just about that same time I started my final Day 1. A couple weeks after that I woke up one morning.....and it was like Dorothy on the Wizard of Oz...it was as if my world had gone from black and white to full color! I couldn't believe the difference!!! I am 1000 times better now than I was on AD and AL!!! On the AD, maybe the lows weren't as low...but the highs weren't as high either. I call that period, Numb and Number! I just couldn't feel anything but shitty!! Since I stopped both of these things, I'm off 3 BP meds....my Vit D is back within normal ranges, AND my eye sight IMPROVED 5 ticks!!! The less meds I take the better I feel!!!
                          So there is my story...I bet you're sorry you asked!!! I am sure there are folks that it helps, but for me Cymbalta was a nightmare. Try googling Cymbalta Withdrawals and there are 100's of people mad as hell that they didn't know all these things! Even if you are on an AD, taper off it and go AF and see if you don't feel 1000 times better! Give YOURSELF a chance TO feel!!
                          Happy AF Sunday!! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm sneaking on here quickly to give my support! Hopefully I will have more time to read and post tomorrow. I am very lucky that my son likes to spend time with me, but jeeeesh! He's following me around everywhere today! His friends must all be busy...:-)

Byrdie, my sis had a very similar experience with cymbalta. When she said she didn't like the way it made her feel they told her she needed to take MORE. And when she quit, she said she literally thought she was going to die. I've never taken AD - and I do know they have their place but I also think that they are overprescribed.

Monique, I wholeheartedly agree that you should not venture to social settings that tempt you until you're ready. But at 10 months into this, I do believe it's time for me to try on my AF shoes and go out in them. :-) I did great Fri night with some old friends - and there was wine. Now some out of town guests - and a party next weekend - these are unavoidable alcohol related events for whatever reason but I really am not worried. That doesn't mean I won't have a plan! Which will include an escape if need be...that's for sure!

Well, I'm going to sign off before I'm sought out again - LOL.

To the new posters - I'm glad you're here! There are some inspiring stories here - it IS possible to turn your life around - mine has changed drastically - from walking aaround in a stupor the majority of the time. drinking in the morning - keeping a slight buzz on most of the day - every day. Now I am STILL picking up the pieces from doing that - thankfully they aren't major pieces of my life - just things I neglected....It's hard and it's fun and it's interesting and did I say it's hard? But let me tell you OH is it ever so worth it!

Lola
                            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey all,

The beastie got the best of me on day 9. I'm feeling pretty scummy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Checking in to see how everyone is doing! I see there has been some talk about AD's the pros and cons. There is no doubt a with drawl when going off of them. My sister experienced some horrendous days when she went off of them. I will be tapering off of Celexia during the month of September per recommendation of my doctor. And I am very much looking forward to be free of any mind altering drugs. Too many alcoholics and addicts seeking there next crutch of drugs after they quit one. Being in treatment I have seen many people get hooked on prescription drugs when a soo called expert recommends they go on another mind altering drug. Which I have never figured out why some treatment centers do this to begin with. The one thing I have really noticed is how talking about what's going on in your mind is actually more benefical than any AD anyway. For whatever reason your mind clears itself and you think more logically. I know that is why AA works for some people as it's a way for them to get things off there chest. I just am not into AA. I have tried it. It's not for me. But this does work for me. And so does following the progress of all the great people in the nest. Are achievements and even when we feel like we have let ourselves down gives us all and myself the motivation to stay the course of sober living and recovery. All of you are a hand in my recovery as I hope I am in yours as well. I hope you all have a great start to your week and always remember any day sober is a gift.

Comment

Working...
                                X