Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

rooniferd;1357737 wrote:

So I'm on Day 4. Tomorrow I see the doctor about getting the prescription of Antabuse. I want to be able to walk in there and tell her that I've gone AF for five days in preparation for the drug. I don't have any idea what to expect, but like I said, if she denies me, I will just find yet another doctor. Seems so silly to be worried that a doc might deny me Antabuse but that I could most certainly waltz in there and get some powerful mind-altering antidepressant or anti-anxiety drug with no problem at all.

Dest - keep me posted on your progress with Antabuse. You are my hero!
    Hi there, I am also on day 4 can I ask you why you want to go on antabuse? I only ask because I think if I have had the strength to manage 4 days I can do this now without meds?
    Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nice job rooniferd...keep it going - I love the determination.

dogwood, am I right that you're just past a week AF? Beautiful. You sound like a different person, already.

I just wanted to pop back in and remind all to not forget the MWO program - which might include any or all - the book - hypnotherapy CD's, and SUPPLEMENTS. Anticraving ones (l-glutamine and other options), and also vitamins that will help build back up the things that alcohol has depleted in our bodies. Lots of people here swear by the CD's...I did not use them. I used these forums - and supplements. B vitamins, vitamin C, milk thistle, - there's so much information here at this site as to what you should take. If anyone needs help finding them, I will do some searching.
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

mauritiusdodo;1357753 wrote: Hi there, I am also on day 4 can I ask you why you want to go on antabuse? I only ask because I think if I have had the strength to manage 4 days I can do this now without meds?
        Hey there! I just might be able to keep going AF without the Antabuse, but I don't trust myself. I've made it to day 4 a gazillion times, only to fall right off soon thereafter. I guess I just want to guarantee myself that I will actually make it 30 days this time without failing. I have tried sooo many times to get sober, and I am determined to do it this time. But I feel like I need a jump start to make it a done deal. My plan is to use it only long enough to get a significant AF time under my belt (at least 30 days and maybe more) until I feel like I'm ready to take the wheel myself. Does that make sense?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes Lolab...just past a week. Today is Day 8. My multiple personality showing? If you pay attention I am a completely different person in the morning vs evening! I am strong, clear & pretty happy right now in the morning, but the head voices begin mid-afternoon & I'm seriously battling by evening. I wish I could feel like I do in the mornings all the time. I will someday. I have before. 20 years sober, so I know how good that life can be AF. Right now I can't believe I let myself slip back into this, but as before, all I have to do is today.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning All!

I am much better today. I made it through the morning ritual of getting ready and into work without breaking down over Charlie. His body is going to be cremated this Friday, and I will get his ashes back on August 10th. I'm so glad I was there at the end with him. Right now I'm just focusing on my little fat dog (who I was sure would be the first to go!). I've had her for 12 years, so I dread the day she goes, but in a funny way, the loss of Charlie has kind of prepared me for it.

Welcome to all the newbies and not-so-newbies. I need to catch up and read back a few pages. Will check in later after I have caught up.

Thank you all again for the kind words about Charlie. Yes, it's very hard, but I'm thankful for the time we had together. And yes, I see another rescue dog in my future....(after the wound heals, of course).

xoxo
            K9
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

rooniferd;1357792 wrote: Hey there! I just might be able to keep going AF without the Antabuse, but I don't trust myself. I've made it to day 4 a gazillion times, only to fall right off soon thereafter. I guess I just want to guarantee myself that I will actually make it 30 days this time without failing. I have tried sooo many times to get sober, and I am determined to do it this time. But I feel like I need a jump start to make it a done deal. My plan is to use it only long enough to get a significant AF time under my belt (at least 30 days and maybe more) until I feel like I'm ready to take the wheel myself. Does that make sense?
              Yes perfect sense I have lost count of the number of times I have quit and then failed, usually my cut off is either day 3 or the weekend whichever comes first !!
              Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dogwood Blossom;1357794 wrote: Yes Lolab...just past a week. Today is Day 8. My multiple personality showing? If you pay attention I am a completely different person in the morning vs evening! I am strong, clear & pretty happy right now in the morning, but the head voices begin mid-afternoon & I'm seriously battling by evening. I wish I could feel like I do in the mornings all the time. I will someday. I have before. 20 years sober, so I know how good that life can be AF. Right now I can't believe I let myself slip back into this, but as before, all I have to do is today.
                That is how I always am too, full of confidence and the joys of spring in the morning but doubt creeping in as the day unfolds, this time I feel different and I am hoping it continues, good luck to you Dogwood wishing you lots of strength to get through the day AF
                Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lilly! So glad to see you. You've been missed. Congratulations on your 30 days. And a great summation of positive changes - such a good incentive for anyone struggling, as we all have and do. I love the savings account idea!

And thank you for including me in your list of "Old Timers" - even if I'm not worthy! I've had more 30-day sobriety stretches in the past 7 years than I can remember/count, a few 4-month periods, at least one 6-month and another 9 month. So at still less than 90 days, I'm hardly qualified to be giving advice, but it's true, I'm not at all shy about sharing my opinions and my experience (at great length at times - sorry!) if it's helpful to someone else. It's good for me to make this forum part of my daily routine. It's definitely part of my tool box.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  "Indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days."
                  ~ from Goethe's Faust

:target: AF as of May 8, 2012
                  :target: Non-smoker as of Sept. 15, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Litre2;1357543 wrote: ... then the drinking really began. I can honestly say it was 24-7. I had a glass beside me at all times. I would wake in the middle of the nite, instead of water, yea there was the wine. Instead of coffee, you guessed it, wine. Sometimes I would grab a light beer, thinking it would reduce the AL intake, but I still went back to the wine. Even when I was in the hospital, I was out on weekends. I would get my crutch. I got to the point where I was tired of myself and how I always felt so crappy, not to mention looking crappy. Taking care of myself was a chore, like showering or putting makeup on, doing my hair was pulling a brush through it.

Litre
                    - what a great reminder of days not so long ago. You left out having a glass of wine sitting just outside the shower, or the wine in the traveler coffee mug on the way to work. I also "hid" white wine in a green Mountain dew bottle at work. So much wasted energy. But much happier now to be looking back on it rather than still participating in it.
                    ~ from Goethe's Faust

Comment

Newbies Nest

nellie78;1357645 wrote: Hi everyone

I'm back on here after having my third and last baby three months ago. Already the vino is getting out of hand and I have realised I cannot drink moderately. I have tried on and off for years now to moderate my intake but I just can't do it. I can go alcohol free no problems Sunday-Thursday but then have a massive blowout over the weekend and it takes until Tuesday to feel normal again. That's it, I've had enough and I have decided to quit completely. Today is day one and I have a hen do this weekend. I am determined and know I can do it as long as I'm 110% committed. My strategy is going to be to simply post on here everyday and not touch a drop. It's no big deal, it's only a flipping glass of wine for God's sake and I'm a grown woman choosing a healthier way of life. I will not be beaten!!!!
                      Hi Nellie - Actually, it is a big deal. It's not just a flipping glass of wine. If it was, it wouldn't be so difficult. Although ultimately you have to quit for yourself, children are a great incentive. I was certainly at my best when I was sober for several years before my son was born, and for the first 10 years of his life. I'm proud or those days. Not so proud of some of the days that followed, and grateful that he was living with his dad when my drinking got really out of control these past couple of years. But not having him to be responsible for on a daily basis, and being home alone, definitely contributed to my drinking. I like your attitude and wish you well in your newfound determination!
                      ~ from Goethe's Faust

Comment

Newbies Nest

itsmytime;1357703 wrote: :wd: WOOHOO Lilly and Litre on 30 days!!

I am back to work this week, so checking in quickly before heading out for the day. Feeling good and getting my eating back on track as I allowed myself to eat whatever, whenever I wanted last week. It was my first totally sober week off work in 6 years!!! I am very proud of that. If I can do that - home alone is a huge trigger - I can make it!!

Have a great day all!!

Itsmytime
                        - That's awesome on being off work for a week sober! I get that it isn't easy. I'm only now just starting to change some of the habits that had become so inbred in my drinking days. Like going for a bike ride after work instead of flaking out on the couch. I too, had been having food attacks but that is also subsiding and I am "tapering off" the nightly mint choc chip Haagen Daz.
                        ~ from Goethe's Faust

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ok entering day four AF watching the sun come up after third sleepless night but feeling a little more in control, drinking lots of water with lemon juice and trying not o grind my teeth. I feel more positive since I've been here and everyone has been so encouraging its like a little breath of fresh air creeping into my stale existence. I may even try a walk with the dog today, just round the block. Hubby is picking up l-glutamine this morning. Wish I could try topomax again but had it as a mood stabilizer and fell asleep at work - no way my shrink would let me try it again - oh well. Kudzu in the post and have an appointment with own hypnotherapist to talk bout this issue and not the others we have worked on n the past - and he will do me CDs. Steps are being taken - at last.
                          "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cash, I'm so happy to hear that you are on D4!! Push thru those cravings and thoughts...THIS time, you are going to win! Because that is your plan! Zero Tolerance! Not an Option. Sounds like you are doing all of the right things, so keep yourself occupied and eat something when you feel the slightest twinge...be good to yourself right now! I am so proud of you!!! At D7, you get a horn toot and at 30 days, you get a hat!! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the encouragement Byrdie and for making me smile even though I'm so tired I can hardly use my facial muscles - the water with fresh lemon juice is really helping me and I feel a lot stronger today.
                              "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Newbies Nest

I was thinking today feeling great on my only day off from work and outside fishing today and having fun and laughing. Wow! Life is soo much better with out AL. SOO MUCH BETTER! I know how tough it is at the beginning. It's the toughest week in your life when you quit. But today was and is worth being sober. Sitting out in the boat and feeling like the old me before AL I can even imagine being dumb enough to risk it all again for a drink. Maybe I had one of those light bulb moments in life. I got home tonight from a great day outside and it dawned on me. This one amazing thought. I don't have to ever drink again and I am more than happy for it. Maybe I am finally crossing that bridge where the compulsion to drink is finally losing it's grip on my mind and the will to experience what life is all about is more of a addiction than AL is. I know there are alot of new people here. Please stick around and stay with us. We are all traveling down different paths and our different stages in our recovery. Let's lean on each other. Some of us crossing into another time in our recovery which I felt today I am moving into. The journey to freedom is there for us. Let's make it happen Nesters!
                                Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Working...
                                X