Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Wow, Mick, Lilly and all! Thank you for the uplifting words. What you may not know is that posting here with my experience helps me as much as it does anyone. It keeps me mindful of what can happen to any of us when AL comes back into the equation...it's always a downward spiril.

FinallyD....it does take a while for that switch to flip but isn't a great feeling when it finally does happen? It's like, 'Dam, this really IS something I can do....I CAN go the rest of my life without pouring poison down my throat!' It is quite liberating, to say the least....my load in life just feels lighter....wouldn't you agree??

Cash, we have 3 folks on D5....Daisy, Mauri and you! The D5 Triplets, so look for them around...there is nothing like having a nest mate to see you thru the trouble spots. You made a comment that got me thinking...when you have bi polar, AL just clouds the issue. Honey, even when you don't it's a hell of a ride!!! I feel for you carrying that load too. Getting AL off the table helps ALL other aspects of life, in my opinion. At least when it gets to the point of where most of us are....Addiction is an opponent like I've never seen....I've been thru some bad times, death, divorce, abuse....but I have never been up against something so cunning as addition. The only way out is to not feed it. At least for me.....it IS a black or white issue. It's like a stray cat...if you feed it, it's yours!!!
    Stay strong everyone! Don't let the Voices win today!! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks byrdie your a champ. The problem with drinking and trying to live with bipolar - or any mental illness - is that even relatively moderate drinking can interfere with medication, but more urgently it interferes with ones ability to perceive the triggers or mood states by masking them. Thats why I'm doing AF for at least 6 months - basically doctors orders to get a proper baseline from which to evaluate future meds and therapy options. Brain chemistry is a difficult enough science without al clouding the mixture. Plus I'm sick to death of the hangovers that drinking and meds give me !
      "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey guys, a quick check-in on day 5. So far I have avoided the drinking buddies/situations, but I know I will be tempted soon. I have an appointment today at 1:30 to get a prescription of Antabuse. I really hope I walk out of that office with that piece of paper. I have been AF for five days, so I should be able to pop one of those magic pills as soon as I leave the pharmacy. Please send all your positive vibes my way so this will really happen today.

I am so ready to leave the demon behind in the dust. I can just see him crying, yelling, kicking, and screaming at me to come back as I confidently walk the other direction. Just like Sodom and Gommorah (sp?), I won't even turn around. I don't want to turn into a pillar of salt (or in this case, a big pickle of fermented alcohol).

Done with this crap!

I'll check in after my appointment. I'm going to be either really happy or really pissed off.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1358368 wrote: It's like a stray cat...if you feed it, it's yours!!!
          Stay strong everyone! Don't let the Voices win today!! Byrdie
          Omgod...I LOVE that!!!!! So friggin true! And don't forget...if you don't "fix" the cat (aka addiction) it just ends up multiplying at an amzing rate and before you know it they take over!!!!!!!!
          AB Club Member
          AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni...YAY.....I am totally going to be thinking of you at 1:30 today! I have my fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes crossed for you!!!!! Ha! I am sending good vibes your way! Remember that your pharmacy may have to order it but ask them if they have even 1 to get you through until it comes in...it usually comes in the next day.
            AB Club Member
            AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Rooni...I am going to PM you my cell number....feel free to call me or text me if you want to talk before or after your dr's appointment!
              AB Club Member
              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Dest!! I will text you from the doctor's office!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  AB Club Member
                  AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Roon, I'm so sorry, we have 4 Day 5'ers!!! So you have really good company in the nest! You know I can't keep up, we are having some really great success in this little nest!! We have hats flying off the shelf, horn toots blazing! I'm so proud of everyone!
                    Dest, you are so right about those cats...if you don't get them fixed the problem multiplies!!! Good one! B
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1358383 wrote: Roon, I'm so sorry, we have 4 Day 5'ers!!! So you have really good company in the nest! You know I can't keep up, we are having some really great success in this little nest!! We have hats flying off the shelf, horn toots blazing! I'm so proud of everyone!
                      Dest, you are so right about those cats...if you don't get them fixed the problem multiplies!!! Good one! B
                      Byrd - I think you keep up with everyone JUST FINE!! I really don't know what we would do without you. You are so full of wisdom and direction. You must feel extremely proud of yourself for not only getting sober but also helping so many people in this tough journey. And I imagine you are helping more people than you know, since only a handful of people actually post (most just lurk and read).

I'm feeling really inspired today. Love you all!! Stick with it!!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 3 today but last night about 6pm my mind was racing and fighting so bad. I almost reached for the beer in the garage. I tried to fight it, but I started breathing heavy and I was very agitated. I just prayed and prayed and finally I had the courage to start cleaning out my spice cabinet, then on to the bathroom drawers. By that time it was time for DD bath and then I started cutting up a bunch of fresh fruit I had bought...made some herb tea and grabbed my chips and dip!

I decided since I am starting fresh this week I would allow myself to eat what I want and not worry about the weight. I would like to lose 20lbs and start being healthy. Next week I will hit the gym and plan my meals but this week. I'm just going to do what I can to let my body heal from the alcohol and the obsessions.

I hope everyone is hanging in there today.
                        Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Honeysoup;1358393 wrote: I decided since I am starting fresh this week I would allow myself to eat what I want and not worry about the weight. I would like to lose 20lbs and start being healthy. Next week I will hit the gym and plan my meals but this week. I'm just going to do what I can to let my body heal from the alcohol and the obsessions.
                          I'm right there with you, but double my goal to 40 pounds. I've been eating really healthy these past 5 sober days, but I haven't started exercising yet. I plan to start incorporating that into my routine next week. This week, like you, my focus is on getting SOBER!!

It's amazing how much easier it is to stay within my Weight Watchers point range without having to log in all those glasses of wine and mimosas.

Comment

Newbies Nest

It is so much easier for me to stay at 1400 calories when I just only stick to food and diet soda! That alone should be an incentive but the alcoholic brain just doesn't want to hear that! lol...

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!
                            Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Honey! Good for you on day 3! Hang in there...it does get easier. It's horrible when those cravings attack and they seem to come out of nowhere....but you did the right thing by busying yourself until it passed. Like K9 says.....a craving doesn't last as long as a hangover!
                              AB Club Member
                              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters!

Feeling much better after the loss of my Charlie Boy. I'm comforted knowing that he died in my arms, warm, safe and loved. It's not easy, but if he had to go, that's the way I would choose!

Well today is the start of a new month. This month I'll be putting bumble bee stickers on my calendar. Was looking at last year's calendar, and I managed to stay sober during August AND September. I was telling my daughter, and then I asked her "What do you think my pattern is?"...she said "Well you do really good for a LONG time, then you say you deserve a reward so you drink for about a week, then the cycle starts all over again". Wow, she's really perceptive. Then I told her "Ok thank you for your thoughts, now zip it!" LOL Be careful what you ask for right? The truth is hard to hear sometimes

To the newbies, just remember that this does get easier. It's easier for me this year than last, and last year was eaiser than the year before. It's not sudden or overnight, but you WILL get there, just never quit quitting.

Have a great day everyone!

K9
                                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X