Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Lori, Prairie, and anyone else out there struggling (that includes me)....

I think one of the hardest parts about the early days of getting sober is thinking ahead to all the events and challenges that we face in the coming days. Sometimes those events are big ones, like a court date or a party, but sometimes they can be "smaller" things like "hey, it's Friday!" or "I just finished a huge project at work" or "I just got into an argument with my brother." Yes, all of those things - big and small - are triggers to drink. Hell, just waking up in the morning is a trigger to drink for me LOL

So, my point? My point is that I think it's important to get a plan in place for how you are planning to get through all these days and events sober. If you have a party to go to and you're worried about what everyone will say when you bypass the wine, go ahead and plan it out. What will you say? Or better yet, should you maybe skip the party altogether? And for the small stuff, have a plan for those too. If you want to celebrate something you did at work, go ahead and plan out a way to celebrate without alcohol. Go buy yourself something or get a manicure.

Oh, and let's not forget about boredom. Boredom is my #1 enemy when I'm trying not to drink. That's when the beast attacks. If you know you have an afternoon with nothing to do, and you KNOW you'll be tempted to drink, go ahead and make a plan. Going to movies can be fun, and that's two whole hours you can go without drinking (just don't sneak it in like I used to do). Then go look for that perfect purse you wanted to get. I don't know - anything but drink. Keep busy.

OK, well there's my rant for the day. I'm 11 days sober today, and I honestly don't know if I could have done it without the Antabuse. I keep wondering how long I will take it, and the best answer I can give myself is "as long as it takes."

Happy Tuesday everyone!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Rooniferd , Lav, PF, and Lori!

Lori, stay strong, you CAN DO this, we have all been there. Well different situations, but there ya know? You will def need a clear head for things Friday and everyone here is to support you and give you a shoulder to lean on. It will be difficult as hell, but we are here, use us!

Hey Rooniferd! Day 11 for both of us! Can I get a woohoo. I felt so great yesterday, my energy level was thru the roof and the AL poofiness is gone! Someone said I looked like I had lost weight, even tho I haven't! Good job!
      Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
      -Alan Cohen

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ok I have to keep going back and looking, still trying to keep everyone straight.

WAY TO GO DES! You rock, keep it up!

PF, get your stuf together, stick close to here, and you will do this! I'm finding it much better on the other side, althought it's been only 11 days, what a difference in how I feel mentally and physically!

Okay off to work! Have a great Tuesday everybody! Ck in later!
        Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
        -Alan Cohen

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

There's a cloud cover over my portion of the nest this morning but it's purely weather related
          I think there's a cold front moving this way, I'll take it after this scorching hot summer!

I'm out early to go watch my grandsons for teh day so I'll wish everyone a wonderful AF Tuesday!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning All,

Quick check in before getting ready for work. Feeling really good and happy that I made it to Day 30, it feels great to get over that hump. I am now focusing on getting the pounds off and changing my eating. The first month I was only focusing on staying sober, I am not missing AL at all and now my energy is going into physical and mental fitness.

Thanks everyone, I know there will be bumps in the road, but isn't there always in life.
            new beginnings July 16, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all - I did great all in all lately - only one measly - BAR poured glass of wine with dinner in 72 hours...not Prairie poured....a Prairie glass looks like a fish bowl...."WHATCH mean that's not a GLASS? IT fit's in one glass....OK it hold's half a bottle of red but what's it too ya? Keep your eyes on your own stuff, buttercup!"

And - I did order the AB yesterday...scheduled to be here at the end of the month...It won't stop me from having cravings...it won't make the horrible nature of the the beast yelling at me quit. What it will eliminate from my life - is me saying - it's just one. Go ahead...in the moment. I will have to take days to backslide - not seconds. I hope that in days - I'll pull my head out of my arse...and take another AB.

Sadly - I know aversive conditioning works - maybe not for everyone - but it completely works with my messed up brain. I once weighed over 300 lbs. I had gastric bypass, lost 14 dress sizes - and have kept them all off for 8 years. I never cheat. I had the version with the negative conditioning built in. I tossed my cookies cheating once or twice - and I never did it again. 8 years later - no worries on the creme brulle - I'm good. And I can eat just one piece of brie now. I couldn't before. Because 2? Runs the risk of tossing my cookies.

Anyway - off to get the Peanuts moving...
              That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
              Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters, still AF. There are days I think, maybe I will get a small bottle, tomorrow. So far TOMORROW has not come.
                Lav-thanks for the kind words, chances are he is. I do know he is confusing, MR on and off again. I am still being true to myself. I am going to my Sons for my Granddaughauters 3rd birthday. I will see a 2 out of 3 of my children, and 5 out of 6 of my grandbabies. It will be then on the 19th, they will see Mommy is not drinking. We will see. Then on the 21st I housesit for my daughter and son-in-law, oh yea, dog sit also. It will be fun, I am going back to a small town where I know alot of people and have not seen them for years.
                Stay true nesters, and all the newbies, good luck, it is an interesting road we travel. Truthfully, I do not feel like I am a different person, I am a sober person, I am who I like these days. Still a bit testy, but eventually that will go.
                Goal
                I am starting over as of Sept 6
                SHIT this is so stupid (I hate AL)

AF since June 30, 2012
                be AF for 7 days yea done:yay::yay:
                be AF for 21 days July 21, 2012 boy I did it
                be AF for 30 Days July 30, 2012 I have done it:thanks: to all the nesters
                Now to be AF for 60 days Aug 29---blew it
                Work to be AF for 90 days Sept 28---blew it

I have been AF for 1 month Oct, 2011
                I have been AF before for 3 months Mar 16, 2011-July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey folks - I'm putting this out there on the boards. I am AF for 43 days and using AB that another member sent to me. It doesn't work for everyone but helps me greatly by taking the choice away !
                  Not attending doctor - going it alone like so many others here in MWO - so anyone got any AB lying in a drawer somewhere - can I relieve you of it ?

I can PM my address & send postage if required

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hope-I also am an artist, and I too have put it on the back burner. As of today I have gone 45 days AF, and it is time to start doing my art again. I do hope you do also.
                    You have picked a good place to come to, there are so many great people who all want to get their lives back. So we are all here for the same ride, some are over really rough terrain, others have a gentler path. All in all it can be tough. Good luck, you can take control back.
                    Goal

AF since June 30, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

It is really hard to keep up when you take time away from the nest.
                      Dest- I am so happy to see how well you are doing, good for you.
                      Byrdie-you still rock and always will. Even after being away I come back and here you are chirping loud and clear. I have said before many times, you are one of the backbones of this nest. You really help keep it together. Thanks
                      Goal

AF since June 30, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

St. John's Wort Interacting with Baclofen?

Hi all,

My husband and I started on baclofen about a month ago.

We had both been taking St. John's Wort for anxiety and depression, but went off it when we started on the baclofen.

My background is medical, so I've been searching a lot to see if we can go back on it, but all I can find are warnings about it increasing the sedative effect of the bac.

The first few days on it were great as far as the anxiety and the depression, but recently they've come back big time.

Any thoughts/ ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's part of the difficulty in staying sober, actually. When we are under the cloud of alcohol - things seem so hopeless and depressing that we want more than anything to get out from under that cloud. So many people come here - the morning after - and desperately want help to quit - then as the hours or days go by - things start to look brighter - without alcohol! - and they start feeling more positive - and crazy enough - start to think that a drink wouldn't be all that bad. It's such a perplexing cycle. If you can push through - those first few AF days - and keep going - it's the only way to see just how bright the world - and your future can look....

~lola
                          I use to be in this desperate cycle, over & over & over..... Well until eventually, there wasn't anything left but darkness. Just needed to keep going to see that the world is brighter. Even when feathers are flying, it's easier to deal with life sober!... Hope you file your words away. I know when I was lurking & in that dark place of despair, (then things would get better) these words of hope may have been enough to bring me out of the coop. Thanks... Hope everyone has a good day in the Nest.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Still pist off from the weekend..good thing is I have no desire to drink. Thank you Lord!

But, am I angry because of Detox or angry bc my husband was an idiot. Things seem so much more serious than needed.
                            Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Honey :l

Take some deep breaths. Pissed and angry is OK. Pissed, angry and hungover is not. Deal with your emotions and they'll go away quicker.

Thinking of you :h
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hugs HoneySoup - good to see you again
                                That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                                Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X