Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Oh, and one more thing that I don't have to worry about when I'm not drinking the poison....

I can check my bank account online and not cringe at all the bar tabs! 20 bucks here, 15 bucks there, 40 bucks there, 60 bucks there because you were drunk and left some bartender (who you will probably never see again) a $20 tip, etc.....

:biteme: BAR TABS!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey y'all!

Rooniferd, we have two weeks! 14days! An funny about the dreams, for the last three nights I have been having "drinking" dreams for the last 3nights. WTF? It's very unsettling and after two weeks AL free, why now? It's been a little upsetting first thing on the morning, or aggravating rather than upsetting.

Had a rough patch last night. Drama with the teenager, his grades and not wanting to his work, drama with the 17 yo draining w/o a license. He dropped out of school, has benn working, lives with his older brother who is a baby daddy, not paying his child support, or really any other of his bills it seems, and is not showing up for court dates...I digress. Anyway now the ex wife gets in the middle of it when the son does not want her involved. ......so the youngest and his father got into it big time over the schoolwork, he waited until the night before the test to tell us he not getting any of it! Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!!

I really wanted a beer, glass of wine, etc. I wanted to forget about all of the stress. I laid on the bed, he sat and the floor and talked me through it. I knew I didn't want to , but I still wanted to ya know? I was running thought the list of cons and it was way longer than the pros, and I knew this but still had to struggle through it. And I'm glad I did, in 14 days this was the first real intense struggle I have had with myself over this, and I came out the other side with a win!

Will ck in later on everyone!

Happy Friday!
      Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
      -Alan Cohen

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni and Cat: THAT IS SO FREAKIN COOL....Ha!! So funny how things have changed....back in the day, I thought it was cool to drink.....NOW I think it is so very cool that someone can actually find the strength within themselves to quit the drink for two whole weeks and still surf through the urges.....You guys are my inspiration today...THANKS:goodjob::thanks:
        I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cat - we are kicking the beast's ASS!!!!

:woot:

I'm sorry about your family troubles. I know they must be causing so much stress in your life, and of course you see first hand how the beast makes his move during these times - "oh just one will ease your tension....just one will relax you....just one...."

BULL!!

But you have resisted, and now you can be proud. Of course, you still have to deal with the family situation, but just imagine how much harder it would be dealing with it in a cloud of drunkenness or just as bad in a fog of hangover, regret, anxiety, and shame.

We are in this boat together, and gosh darnnit, we are going to get our 30-day hat from Byrdie on the same day so we can celebrate! We can do this!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesers,

CONGRATS to Rooni & Cat on 2 weeks AF :yay:
            You are both growing stronger each & everyday & will have nothing to regret

Greetings jennie!

Keep flexing those AF muscles everyone!
            Life's problems will never go away & believe me - they're all easier to deal with when you have a clear head

Have a great AF Friday!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goodmorning Lavande!!
              You know, I never believed it when people said that alcohol wouldn't make problems better but would make them worse....I was a self medicator....drank immediately after work before starting my second full time job of being a mom....little did I know that the drinking was yet a THIRD job....and now, I really do believe deep down that you are absolutely right....my problems won't go away by drinking. Drinking will ONLY make it much much worse. I am still struggling with the cravings....but I am reading constantly and going to meetings and gathering the strength from this nest. I guess I am really full of GRATITUDE today!!! It is a good feeling!:l
              I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

wow! everyone is doing GREAT!!! Just ride this high into the weekend - jennie and lori - we will all be celebrating with you Monday AM - and you will be so proud of yourselves and know you can do it! I've got a bum finger making it tough to type...:-(

Trying to plan one more day activity before school starts - and it made me start to think...Ever since I have been an adult - every single activity has an alcohol focus....including a family day trip - will the destination have alcohol? Will there be a restaurant for lunch to get a drink? A cute outdoor cafe to stop for a rest and a drink or two? I know I'm not alone - and I a seeing that this isn't the way it should be - but the question in my mind is where did this come from? My parents were not drinkers...my dad would have a couple beers with his neighborhood friends after mowing the lawn...but that's about it.

The reason this is bugging me is that since I quit, we have been so serious about letting our teen know that drinking is not something that you have to just assume that you will do as soon as you are old enough (or sooner)...that you can have fun without it and we're trying to get him to see it for what its worth.....I guess I just keep doin what I'm doing the best that I can. I don't want him to fall into the same trap when he gets older...

I'm giong to keep trying to look within to see where the obsession came from...

excuse my typos, please!
                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters! Roon and Cat....I'm so proud of your 2 weeks! You are over the hardest part! Now you will just get zingers thrown at you from left field and you must be ready for them. Duck! They'll hit you out of the blue. Stay firm in your resolve and you will never regret it. I wish I had 1/2 hats to give you I'm just so happy...

Roon...speaking of bar tabs...Now whenever I find myself waiting for a table or in a bar with friends, I order water with lime. I haven't picked up ONE bar tab in a year and a half! Even if we get food, one of the others will say...no, I'll get it, all you had was water....it all adds up!! Well done everyone...K9 will be along with her Friday pep rally words to live by. Lav, always good to see you up with the chickens...you know I check this site last thing before I go to bed and first thing in the morning...there is something right with the world when I see your notes here. XXXOO, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1365510 wrote:
                    You know, I never believed it when people said that alcohol wouldn't make problems better but would make them worse....I was a self medicator....!:l
                    Good morning Jenniech!

That line spoke to me this morning as I always knew AL wouldn't solve anything in my life but because I believed I had NO ability to solve my own problems, I believed anesthetising them was really my only choice... Self medicating was the total name of the game!

Lolab I hear you about thinking of this obsession 's origin. Io pretty much know mine most likely was my parents, dad didn't drink but was a hard, cruel man and mom did drink later in life...

I was very impressed and inspired by Kimberly , the Woman who Wrote the book, so i read some of her old posts. She has a letter she wrote about 2 years ago to AL Which really documents her relationship with AL . I think I might try that too and maybe it will give me insight into why and how and where all this awfulness started.

Like you as I get more AF Time I feel a need to get a more 'holistic' picture of what just happened to my life...
                    Anyway, just an idea.

Happy Friday everyone. :h

And Don't Forget...PUT ON YOUR LIFE JACKETS! WE'RE GOIN' YARD SAILING!

Hugs,
                    :l

PPS: I have 2 months today- who would have thought ! :wd::
                    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni yea yea yea on 2 weeks, 14 days, a fortnight!
                      :wave::

And yes, it is so different really KNOWING Whatever you said or did last night was completely YOU!

:l
                      On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone!
                        Congrats on two weeks Roon and Cat! It's really a huge and rewarding accomplishment!. Keep up the good work!
                        I'm going to try and post here on a regular basis to keep my head clear. I lurk a lot.
                        Last night my brother was in town and we were hanging out watching our kids play, catching up etc... He asked if I wanted a glass of wine and I said no thanks BUT it was that flash of "why not?" this particular brother is such a lightweight and his wife doesn't drink at all. That situation should make it easier right but in that flash it seemed really appealing and harmless because he's such a harmless drinker so why can't I? Once again, I had to dig a little deeper to remind myself of why I don't drink so this morning I spent some time looking at my firsts posts on MWO. Holy crap, that's an eye opener and I don't want to go back there!!
                        Ishy

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Kradle,
                          CONGRATS ON 2 AF MONTHS!!!:goodjob:
                          Have fun yard sailing today!

Hi everyone!
                          I'm just taking a break from work, need to get back to it soon
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Had a horrible night last night. Danced with the devil. I lost. I meet with the pastor at church at 1 pm to see if they will be willing to let have one of the family care ministers do Celebrate Recovery Program one on one with me. If not - I'll find a sitter and start next week Wednesday. And I've arranged to start family counseling next week as well.

The AB should be here in the next week and a half. It can't come soon enough.
                            That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                            Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                            AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

:yougo::yougo:HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!:yougo::yougo:

It's so good to see how well everyone is doing. Cat and Rooni, you are both doing awesome! 14 days is amazing.

Ishy, good job on passing up that glass of wine. If you are like me, one would have turned into 10. I have never had ONE drink of anything!

Rooni, you made me think with your posts. Being full of anxiety over what I did or didn't do the night before was sucking the life out of me. It's so nice to not have that feeling anymore. I have been the recipient lately of drunk texts and phone calls, it's so annoying...but at least I am not the one instigating them anymore! I can wake up without the panic!

This has been a loooong week and I'm so glad it's almost over. Let's all stay strong over the weekend. Friday/Saturdays are just days and not a reason or a pass to drink. Think how good we'll feel on Saturday and Sunday with no hangover! I sure don't miss the days of running to the bathroom to dry heave and then stumbling back to the couch as the room spins. Remember that when you get a craving, it will never last as long as a hangover would. And also, nobody ever woke up in the morning thinking "Gee I wish I'd gotten drunk last night!"

Hang in there everyone. Remember the REALITY of drinking and don't romanticize it. For me, drinking is not rainbows and butterflies, it's DUI's and handcuffs! What's YOUR reality? Keep that at the forefront of your mind, and you'll see alcohol for the bastard it really is.

Will check in later. Hope all my peeps have a great day!!!

K9
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K-9,

I can't romanticize it today - had a tantrum at the SO after too much to drink AND PMS - and now he is not speaking to me today. What a great day. FACE plant. There is something about wine and PMS that makes me the most wonderful single person on the planet.

And I am not supposed to see him until at best Monday so there isn't even a way to say I'm sorry in person. This sucks.
                                That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                                Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X