Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Morning everyone. I haven't had time to read messages other than lola's great morning post, and I know if I take the time to do that right now, I won't get off my butt and onto my daily exercise commitment I added to my goals. I need to do that to move forward on this AF journey. Freefly is correct in not getting complacent in our goals and staying disciplined in our actions or we can easily fall.

I'm on day 27 AF today, and both Sunday and Monday were days of struggle for me on the urge front due to personal issues that caused both internal conflict and emotional pain. In the past, I've dealt with issues by inviting my psychologist AL to join me. He was always available and quite dependable I might add at a moments notice. I didn't have to face it on my own. (hmmm...there's something strong in that statement.) I thank those here who have posted both wisdom and struggles in their battle because it is in those posts, and my will to change that I find strength when the going gets tough. It's a bit like what goes in, comes out, so feeding my brain on such things becomes very handy when the demon comes calling. My brain begins to fight back with thoughts that keep me from being defeated. There are many here, and at various times some ring louder than others. This morning I was thinking how glad I was that I didn't breakdown and call my old psychologist. I woke without an all day hangover and without shame and embarrassment. Old dependable would have only kept my feet stuck in the mud through a muddled brain and defeatist attitude. Giving him the boot leaves me free to continue to move forward solving problems vs. remaining stuck and wallowing in them. It's well worth the discipline. It builds self respect and confidence that my life is worth fighting for and problems can be dealt with appropriately with a sound mind...my mind...a gift to us in this life. Why trash it sitting with a shrink that's only help is in handing you a noose as your way out?

Keep up the fight! It isn't always easy, but asking an enemy for help will never give you the results you REALLY are looking for.

:welcome: to all the newbies. YOU can do it with the right ammo, mindset/determination. If you fall, just get right back up and look at it not as failure, but another learning experience to move you toward success. :l to all.
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, Slay....that is ONE POWERFUL post!!! Well done! B
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

PF, WOW 29 days! WTG! tomorrow will be the big 30. Have a great day.
        AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
        AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
        STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Almost there.... :-)
          That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
          Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning All!

Lav - I hope Stella and her little chicken friends are staying warm and dry. Please give her a nice peck for me!

Byrdie - Your saying has a new flair...plus it sounds much more intimidating!

I posted in another thread that I figured out that I've skipped over 15 hours of smoking in the last 23 days....that shocked me! I guess I spent those hours at the thrift store instead? LOL

PF - 29 days!!! Holy smokes lady...where did the time go? Tomorrow you get the coveted hat from Byrdie. I like the Moon she's giving out on day 7 too...nothing like a nice flash of arse to make you want to stay sober! Speaking of flash of arse, I wonder if the liquor store guy misses me? LOL

Ok...off to pretend to work. I'll walk around with some papers and act like I'm important.

Everyone stay strong and remember: A craving never lasts as long as a hangover!

xoxox
            K9
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I know K9 - When I make 40 - I'm in uncharted territory in my adult life. :-)
              That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

"When I make 40" Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about......:applaud:
                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9, that is astounding! That's alot of time! Are you noticing a difference in the way you feel? taste?

stumpy - hey, whatever you have to do....ooooh, I remember sinking into my bed in the beginning - sober - just feeling so wiped out but so happy with myself - (well after the first few days) - and how absolutely amazing that bed felt. :-)
                  ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lola, thanks for the words of encouragement. Means a lot!

PF and Slay, can’t wait to celebrate your 30 days!!! Huge achievement.

K9, i am too interested to know if you have noticed any improvements in your taste and smell senses after giving up smoking. My taste buds feel brand new and I can smell things from really far away like a K9

ALLAN
                    AF since 1st Sep 2012
                    NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have to say that my sense of smell has always been extraordinary...I mean I'm no Bloodhound, but I'm at least in the Labrador category. LOL

Seriously, yes...everything has improved since I quit smoking...no more annoying dry hack (I mean, that hack annoyed ME...it must have annoyed the crap out of my co-workers!)...no more "rattling" sound in my lungs, and yes I can taste better, which makes me want to eat more! My cravings for Cheezits has gone through the roof.

PF - WHEN you make day 40 AF and WHEN I make day 31 smoke-free...we will both be in unchartered territory. Maybe Byrdie will make "special" hats for us?? Or at least Moon us!
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evanescence - Call Me When You're Sober. May be the guy she was singing about was a closet alcoholic and drunk called her every time. So fitting to our story not sure if anyone remembers this song but I just heard it and it made me laugh. Weird.
                        AF since 1st Sep 2012
                        NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Shoot - when I make 40 - what will I do? I need to celebrate it somehow....must think... :-) Outside of being preggers - I've not made 40 days in my adult life...And literally - I whined each pregnancy how I was going to smuggle a lovely bottle of red into the OB wing in my duffle bag with a cork screw and a cup....
                          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thought I'd check back in while I still can.
                            Lost power two hours ago & I'm relying on generator power to keep my wi-fi going :H :H
                            Can't want for these storms to be over & done with.

PF, i am very, very happy for you! You'll look greatnin your hat!

Greetings K9, Allan, Lola & Byrdie & everyone!!!
                            Sure hope i don't have to pull the life jackets out for the chickens
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Lav, What an age we live in. 4g connectivity with generator power May be you need to invest in some hamsters and a few wheels... for a more reliable power source LOL

ALLAN
                              AF since 1st Sep 2012
                              NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Prairie Fairy;1379923 wrote: Shoot - when I make 40 - what will I do? I need to celebrate it somehow....must think... :-) Outside of being preggers - I've not made 40 days in my adult life...And literally - I whined each pregnancy how I was going to smuggle a lovely bottle of red into the OB wing in my duffle bag with a cork screw and a cup....
                                I was a heavy drinker in my youth. I started out before I was 16 because although I was a wild cat around close friends and family, I was shy around people I didn't know...especially boys in school. My first drinking experiences were great for me other than some sick times from overdoing because they made me feel open and uninhibited around strangers at parties. What started out that way, turned into a real drinking problem, but I was VERY high functioning. I made it all the way through college and into the job market with the heavy drinking, and I mean heavy. In time, looking back, I can see where the health problems were beginning to rear their head, but I took no notice. The alcohol and perceived fun meant much more. It was when I met my first husband, got married and pregnant a year and a half later that I stopped drinking to have my daughter. After the pregnancy, very rough and full of problems, I became ill along with my daughter and I could not drink without severe sickness. So, out of necessity I didn't drink throughout the marriage and raising my daughter. That is until I left and got a divorce for the second time and met an alcoholic friend when my daughter was around 16. All it took was a few times out and I was hooked again. (The health issue is a whole other story.) I can say back when I had stopped while married, in time there were no cravings. I had no desire to drink, but was that because I was ill and had so many other issues to deal with or was it that eventually life becomes normal without alcohol? Not sure, but this time around I know from having been free all those years and then back in prison to its clutches for five that it has something over me that becomes out of my control when I drink. I became the same wild child I was at 16 and older in my forties, so I think now that I will be fifty this week, it's time to say goodbye for good; albeit one short term goal at a time. Let me have the last part of my life free again. Let me live without a demoralizing demon ripping me and those who love me apart.

Hugs to all who are weathering these storms.:l
                                Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Working...
                                X