Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

How does one get a sponsor? How do you know who would be a good sponsor for you? I'm shy and can't imagine even sharing at a face to face meeting.
    I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rainyday;1382699 wrote: I took Cuckoosnest's list (revised it slightly) and added a 13th, something that K9 said. Printed this out to keep in my car!

SCENARIO OF A DRUNK

1. Wake up bleary eyed and shaking
      2. Swear it won't happen again and I will no longer do this to my body
      3. Get showered go into work hoping I'm fooling people but knowing I'm not
      4. Work my eight hours but around 4:00 the chatter starts
      5. Get in my car to go home constantly thinking about drinking but promising myself I won't
      6. Get off exit where I buy my liquor and promise myself I will have one and then pour the bottle down the drain
      7. Have one drink and feel relaxed but also realize I need to freshen up my drink
      8. Freshen up my drink and then realize 2 won't hurt
      9. After 2nd drink, slight buzz on and decide 3 will be the stopper
      10. End up drinking until I am drunk and stagger up to bed
      11. Repeat from step 1
      12. Need to stop this madness
      13. Compare that to my evenings now...make dinner, take a shower, watch some TV, read a book...yeah, might seem boring, BUT it's safe and I'm not hurting myself or my kids. And I'm happy.
      I love this - it describes me to a T and reminds me why I NEVER want to go there again. I will print and read it often. Thank you for sharing.
      Life is better without Alcohol. 5/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 1.. again

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rainy, that is a great post...we can't even concentrate on the drink we are drinking for thinking about the next one! It's madness!!
          I'm not sure if you meant to post about a sponsor in our thread, we don't have many AA'ers altho there are a few... Other than my hubs I have never spoken a word 'live' to anyone else about this...so I'm with you, that would be something different for sure.

Allan, I am a Diet coke freak myself....I drank about 2 liters a day, but am trying to cut back, now I'm about 1...It seems I have a drinking problem no matter the liquid Great to see you today!!
          Strength to everyone today!! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rainyday;1382699 wrote: I took Cuckoosnest's list (revised it slightly) and added a 13th, something that K9 said. Printed this out to keep in my car!

SCENARIO OF A DRUNK

1. Wake up bleary eyed and shaking
            2. Swear it won't happen again and I will no longer do this to my body
            3. Get showered go into work hoping I'm fooling people but knowing I'm not
            4. Work my eight hours but around 4:00 the chatter starts
            5. Get in my car to go home constantly thinking about drinking but promising myself I won't
            6. Get off exit where I buy my liquor and promise myself I will have one and then pour the bottle down the drain
            7. Have one drink and feel relaxed but also realize I need to freshen up my drink
            8. Freshen up my drink and then realize 2 won't hurt
            9. After 2nd drink, slight buzz on and decide 3 will be the stopper
            10. End up drinking until I am drunk and stagger up to bed
            11. Repeat from step 1
            12. Need to stop this madness
            13. Compare that to my evenings now...make dinner, take a shower, watch some TV, read a book...yeah, might seem boring, BUT it's safe and I'm not hurting myself or my kids. And I'm happy.
            GREAT stuff...thanks!
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fallen, I just read a beautiful post of yours and looked down and saw you had 5 years AF? What happened if you don't mind my asking? As you probably know, we have folks in ALL stages of their quit here...so we are glad you are with us! XO, B
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Allan and Bryd,

I have a "Drink" issue as well! I always have to have something in my hand or at my desk! It's like a cigarette for smokers. They have to be doing something with their hand.

I wish I was addicted to sweet alky drinks (strange wish I know). But only because they are easier to be replaced with sweet non-alky drinks! How do you "replace" a shot o f whisky or vodka?!

Although, I did read something about putting a vanilla bean in water for the "whisky" flavor.

I think if I pretended I was drinking something disgusting (lol) it would help me get through the evenings! Maybe I should drink some rubbing alcohol for the vodka!
                I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rainy, I quit smoking on the same day I quit Alcohol. exactly 25 days ago. The most useful advice that I have heard on here and can say that is 100% true is - keep your tummy full to avoid cravings. Now that I am more confident with my quit, my goal is to lose 12 pounds. So I find that drinking about half a litre of coke at a time makes me feel full and fulfils some internal need.

I must admit I too miss the taste of a cool light beer on a sunny day but no more so than I like a refreshing ginger beer which I can quit any time I like. (btw ginger beer has no alcohol in it, i checked lol) :thumbs:

ALLAN

ALLAN
                  AF since 1st Sep 2012
                  NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1382771 wrote: Fallen, I just read a beautiful post of yours and looked down and saw you had 5 years AF? What happened if you don't mind my asking? As you probably know, we have folks in ALL stages of their quit here...so we are glad you are with us! XO, B
                    I may be wrong...but I think there are two different Fallen Angels....

Whatever the case...welcome Fallen! Pick yourself up, we'll help! :l
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

rooniferd;1382610 wrote:
                      However, in spite of all that, I still don't think I would be here without the pill. But you know what? WHO CARES how I got here - the point is that I'm SOBER.
                      Exactamondo rooni! As Byrdie and K9 and others have said, we each do it our own way, and as you say the point is you're sober.

It reminds me of when i gave up smoking 4 years ago, after 14 years of a puff-puff-here and a puff-puff-there, here-a-puff, there-a-puff, everywhere-a-puff-puff... and i COULD NOT have done it if it hadn't been for nicorette patches. Give up smoking cold turkey? No way! I'd still be puffing here, there and everywhere.

RunningC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Running! I sure have been thinking about your marathon and the 'what next' thoughts...the centers of the brain that offer 'REWARDS' are sure on overdrive in us aren't they. That's one big reason I had so much trouble stringing days together...after a couple AF ones, I'd feel good and want a reward! OF DRINKING!! This sounds crazy now, but when you are in the cycle it's not funny at all! Each day you remain AF will strengthen your resolve, until one day you wake up and you've hit 30 days!! (you get a HAT!) Those first few days are slow going, but they add up and the next thing you know...you are sporting a hat! However, I would have in mind, my plan for after the race...be ready for this temptation, and plan for it. Plan and envision your AF self! :egg: Oops, sorry, that's a fried egg.....ehehe....It sounds corny, but it IS all in our mind, and if we can use our minds to help ourselves instead of self destruction, then it's a pretty good day.

Yes, there are 2 Fallen Angels! There's a bible verse in there somewhere...welcome to the nest! As you can see we have lots of success here! Please read back a couple weeks and get to know us, and when you feel comfortable...tell us what is on your mind. You are in great company if you are sick of what AL has taken away. Welcome! Byrdie
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1382838 wrote: until one day you wake up and you've hit 30 days!! (you get a HAT!)
                          I've just found my incentive for getting to 30 days

However, I would have in mind, my plan for after the race...be ready for this temptation, and plan for it. Plan and envision your AF self!
                          Just done my first pre-race evasion: one of my closest, and truest friends (who in truth wouldn't care a dot if i gave up, even if he's partial to quite a few guinness himself) asked if i'd like to go to a gig on tomorrow. Of course i would have. But i just got worried that I'd cave even BEFORE the run! So, i lied, said i was working. That's ok, yeah?

Gonna try work a plan for getting to 30 days. Which will include nonAL rewards. Any suggestions?! I could buy a hat, for each goal reached...?!!?

Running C

Comment

Newbies Nest

RC, I think you did the right thing by not going. You are doing this for you and need to do whatever it takes. I have been making excuses for the last 25 days and felt bad about lying at first. Regarding rewards, I have calculated how much money I used to spend on AL per week and last Sat went on a shopping spree, replacing clothes that reminded me of the nights that I couldn’t remember...

Stay strong.

ALLAN
                            AF since 1st Sep 2012
                            NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

I always rewarded myself with cookies...but you are an athlete so you may not go that route!! In spite of my cookie monster tendancies..I've dropped 13 pounds since I quit...Allan just bought himself a new wardrobe with his savings...so whatever it is that motivates YOU! Maybe a hot stone massage after your big run??? (not a hot massage while you are stoned) or a new pair of sneakers? I mean, running shoes? Can you tell I'm not an athlete?? B
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cross post, Allan, sorry didn't mean to repeat about the wardrobe upgrade! I'm just so proud of you! B
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X