Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Catbuddy;1386481 wrote: So, my danger zone is my kitchen and food shows. I love to cook. As an example, I'll pour some wine and start chopping veggies, getting ready for a great sauce to come. Might be 6:00pm, might be 9:00am, scenario is the same. I just decide I want my day to stop, want to feel a release from pressure, and so it goes. I will need to dissociate cooking from drinking.

For the near term, no more cooking shows; watching singing/dancing competition now. People doing something other than consuming. And I will take my son out, now that I don't have to worry about drinking and driving. And I will leave the kitchen once we have eaten. And I will stay out of the bedroom unless it is time to sleep!!! I just exited the world about five years ago when I broke up with my husband, and have been falling apart ever since. So I need to upturn many bad habits I'm in right now. :new:
    Cat - I am the same way, although we haven't had internet and tv for a while. But I love to cook. And they always make it look so sophisticated on the cooking shows.

I've decided no cooking when I am trying to be AF (alcohol-free). Last night we had leftovers from the weekend and then we threw a large frozen lasagna from Walmart in the oven for tonight. Tonight's a crazy night with the kids going to Awana and my husband and I going to a church group study "The Art of Marriage".

Typically (or before this got so bad) we would get the kids down and then make a fabulous meal. Not anymore. I'm too drunk and never remember finishing making the meal or eating it. Find it (hopefully) in the fridge the next day. Half eaten. And it looks gross.

That is not very sophisticated.

Rainy Renee
    I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

1 AF night last night. I aws a bitch. I'm so glad when I put my kids down that I hugged them tight and said I loved them so much.

Husband went to a Council meeting (he's an elected council guy but it's not his full time job). After he left it got better.
      I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm a cook too...was a drinker/coook. I LOVED drinking while cooking - like catbuddy - at any time of day...holidays meant that the wine was open early to use for the meal, right? Great ideas to take some time to break those associations.

But I'm here to tell you that you can overcome it. We aim for clean unprocessed foods, so that means we VERY rarely eat out - and I spend lots of time cooking and preparing foods. And honestly, when the topic just came up - it was like a light bulb went off in my head...."when did that happen? when did I stop associating cooking with drinking?" Yea! it does happen!

~lola
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

rainyday, it's going to be tough for awhile. Have you talked things over with him? Probably not - I guess there hasn't really been much time to yet. What's your plan?
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Up (sort of) not having a great day....blah. Really blah. Just lots and lots of crappy stuff going on in life - but nothing that's going to make me drink. Just sucks.

The funny part is - each of them on their own? Before - would have been enough to send me off running for a box - all by themselves. To have this many of them all at once - and I'm like - not gonna do it - not for you, you or you? Is good...So that's a win - it's just still blah.

Wait that can't be right? Day 47? Nah....Math deprived from lack of caffeine - try that again....Day 44....
            That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
            Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
            AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

My Alcoholic Brain

This is what I'm reading. I will cross-post on the reading thread. There's More To Quitting Drinking Than Quitting Drinking by Dr. Paul O.

My Alcoholic Brain

Thinking has always been a problem for me. If my only problem had been drinking, I could have handled it easily. If drinking is a problem, don?t drink. I knew that. But my common sense and good intentions dissolved when drinking and thinking joined forces against me.

My brain and my body have always been in conflict. My mind has always wanted things my body can?t provide. They never agreed on whether or not we could drink. My body told my brain ?Alcohol gives us high blood pressure, diabetes, a peptic ulcer and colitis. It sickens our liver and unpredictability switches our mind off and on for variable periods of time. It causes mental confusion amounting to a toxic psychosis. We almost always walk and talk funny when we drink. We simply do not
              handle alcohol well.?

After a moment oo two of thoughtful consideration, my brain responded with, ?Oh well, what the hell?? One little drink never hurt anybody.?

It?s not that I was weak-willed. It?s just that my mind has a mind of its own, and it changed its mind. Not having a drink was not longer important.

In addition, my mind habitually lied to me. One little drink was all it ever wanted. But soon after it got the first drink, it began to chant, ?Just one more.? Alcohol didn?t quench my mind?s thirst; it increased it. As a result, over and over again I found myself drinking more than I should have, even at times when I hadn?t intended to drink at all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations Prairie! Wow! 44 days. You must feel great, you should feel great.
                AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
                AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
                STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Newbies Nest

you guys are confusing me with your flowers. :-)

okey doke. I'm off and running. Good luck!
                  ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am having major problems sleeping. The last four nights I might have slept a total of 10 hours, 8 of them last night. When I try to sleep, my body gets really itchy, whats up with that? The non sleeping part has been going on for three weeks but the icthy part has been the last few nights. Is this normal when your body is trying to clean itself?
                    I almost want to drink just so I can sleep. Has anyone else gone through this during detox? I didn't think detox would/could last this long.
                    STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Stumpy -

Well - my quit feels rock solid. But quitting doesn't fix every bad thing in the world - just means you are dealing with them sober.

Just tired out today...lot's hitting me hard. But at least I'm sober. :-)
                      That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                      AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

rooniferd;1386573 wrote: .

God, I hate alcohol. If I'm ever completely 100% ready to get sober, it's NOW.
                        Thanks Roon for a great quote to start my day. I hate alcohol and everything it's done to me. I'm so happy not to have it in my life. I hope every day that it never comes back. It destroyed my father's life and I refuse to let it destroy mine.

Have a wonderful AF day all.
                        Life is better without Alcohol. 5/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

Prairie, were you having trouble sleeping in the first two weeks of being sober? I can't take this anymore. I just want a good night sleep. Melatonin and I do not get along so thats out of the questions. I feel so blah.
                          STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cross post - PF. I agree life will still have it's problems, but at least they won't be made worse because of the AL. And I'll be sober enough to deal with them and remember how I dealt with them!
                            Life is better without Alcohol. 5/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Stumpy -

The itchy can be your liver enzymes being off - do you have Milk Thistle at home? If so - try taking extra water on board and milk thistle twice a day between meals for the next couple - three weeks....supposed to helps your liver increase bile production and flush the system...Super Thislyn which is a name brand also has the dandelion in it which is supposed to help with fatty liver & cravings - as well as other antioxidents used on liver functions...but I've usually heard the itching is an enzyme issue which can be helped with the Milk Thistle and fluids...
                              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

lolab;1386774 wrote: you guys are confusing me with your flowers. :-)

okey doke. I'm off and running. Good luck!
                                LOL. I used to be the Bloated Baby icon but that freaked people out. So I stole Prairie's flowers!

Comment

Working...
                                X